HMS Bodykit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 Barolo red C63 AMG (SOLD).13' P31 c63 coupe 2012 porsche panamera
HMS Bodykit

Hey guys,

So it's time to finally go the widebody route because i just can't stand these rear fenders anymore. Would i be better off buying the HMS bodykit? Anyone have experience ordering their parts to the USA? And does anyone know if it would work on a coupe? Or should i let my bodyshop, D&V for anyone wondering fabricate it for me?
Old 05-07-2014, 03:52 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
mazda rx7
I have no clue but when you get it done, post pics of the build progress!
It will be awesome.

Edit: Looking back at Dad's HMS rear thread, they only install kit in-house? Maybe someone else has more info.

Originally Posted by GeorgeSmooth
I got a update a few weeks ago. They have decided to only do cars in house. So this option seems dead to most.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...package-7.html

Last edited by ab0bab0i; 05-07-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
I assume you are interested in the BS conversion kit not the widen rear arches?
You have 4 options:

- using BS OEM parts (expensive)
- MISHA design (I think georgesmooth used this kit)
- HMS bodykit
- customize your own kit a bit like AndrewC63 did

Either way expect a ball park of 15k$+ project

GL

edit: actually georgesmooth installed a prior design kit. So that means you have 5 options.

Last edited by abcut973; 05-07-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:06 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
a car
Trying to get these as well and they are pretty unwilling to sell them to anyone outside of installing them in house.

Frustrating.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by abcut973
I assume you are interested in the BS conversion kit not the widen rear arches?
You have 4 options:

- using BS OEM parts (expensive)
- MISHA design (I think georgesmooth used this kit)
- HMS bodykit
- customize your own kit a bit like AndrewC63 did

Either way expect a ball park of 15k$+ project

GL

edit: actually georgesmooth installed a prior design kit. So that means you have 5 options.
I just want a wider back end. Not a whole BS kit, like Andrew and Dads.

I've been in touch with george, but all these bodykits need tons of fabrication, so the kits, although i wouldn't say are useless, are just a big waste of money. But HMS has a very good reputation and i've heard great things about their kit, needs minimal fabrication so expenses wouldn't be as high, just a good bodyshop that knows how to cut and weld the body.

Originally Posted by Tal@ACGAutomotive
Trying to get these as well and they are pretty unwilling to sell them to anyone outside of installing them in house.

Frustrating.
Hm, i wonder why?... You'd think they'd sell their products regardless, money is money
Old 05-07-2014, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MaroonC63
I just want a wider back end. Not a whole BS kit, like Andrew and Dads.

I've been in touch with george, but all these bodykits need tons of fabrication, so the kits, although i wouldn't say are useless, are just a big waste of money. But HMS has a very good reputation and i've heard great things about their kit, needs minimal fabrication so expenses wouldn't be as high, just a good bodyshop that knows how to cut and weld the body.

Hm, i wonder why?... You'd think they'd sell their products regardless, money is money
Money may be money, but let a bad body shop get their hands on it, chop it up, tell everyone it is a terrible kit, and HMS rep goes down the drain.
On another note, I would love to go this route as well. I personally have a killer body shop nearby that could handle this no problem so I would personally le them design and fab the kit as they went.
A pre-made kit imho is a waste of cash.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Autosport7
Money may be money, but let a bad body shop get their hands on it, chop it up, tell everyone it is a terrible kit, and HMS rep goes down the drain.
On another note, I would love to go this route as well. I personally have a killer body shop nearby that could handle this no problem so I would personally le them design and fab the kit as they went.
A pre-made kit imho is a waste of cash.
Couldn't agree more with this whole post.

I made an appointment with them, ill get back to you guys and see what happens!
Old 05-07-2014, 04:54 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
screw a body kit for 15k ...i'd rather a blower for that kinda $$
Old 05-07-2014, 05:32 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 AMG GTS
Definitely go local. I've heard good things about that shop as well.

Also, post up what they quote you when you get a chance.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by avery.whss
Yeah, was trying to get a deal on a used supercharger, but gave up after 2 people quoted me 1k off their 5k+ mileage superchargers. I'd rather get a new one at that price point, but soon enough ill go with buying a brand new one instead all together.

Originally Posted by JPetros2008
Definitely go local. I've heard good things about that shop as well.

Also, post up what they quote you when you get a chance.
They gave me a quote over the phone in the 3-4k range and said they've done work to many exotics and have done widebody conversions also. Thats without paint, my car is wrapped, so im not even bothered about paint at the moment. It will just be wrapped. It's the rims and new tires that'll bump up that price point, but im in the market for some new rims anyways.

Edit: The quote was the manager highballing, he says they don't like to underquote because they don't want people expecting a lower price than the final amount. So they bump up the price for over the phone quotes. That got me hooked, regardless, 3k for a wider more aggressive rear is the price of some headers, worth it IMO! Will go through with this and work with them, will keep you all updated if anyone on the east coast ever wanted to go this route, i know it isnt too far of a hike from you folks up in NJ and NY

Last edited by MaroonC63; 05-07-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:06 PM

MB
I don't agree. Why would anyone listen to a "bad body shop's" experience with a kit from a reputable manufacturer The proof would be in the puddin' or bondo in this case.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:30 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
mazda rx7
Originally Posted by avery.whss
If you have a blower though, will you even be able to put all that power down with only 255/265 rears?

I think you would need bigger rear fenders to fit bigger wheels/tires, which is maybe why OP needs the wider rear in the first place, and maybe he's getting the blower after?
Old 05-07-2014, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by ab0bab0i
If you have a blower though, will you even be able to put all that power down with only 255/265 rears?

I think you would need bigger rear fenders to fit bigger wheels/tires, which is maybe why OP needs the wider rear in the first place, and maybe he's getting the blower after?
Yup yup! Headers and exhaust and i cant seem to put the power down without radials. Its not a must, but with a blower im definitely going for a WIDEBODY conversion, thats a must for me personally. My friend spins at 50 mph with his stage 2 and 275 rears.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by msheredy
I don't agree. Why would anyone listen to a "bad body shop's" experience with a kit from a reputable manufacturer The proof would be in the puddin' or bondo in this case.
Ummmm because who is to say they are a "bad body shop"? One person who has let them try and install a wide body kit that they have no experience with? Who is telling the owner how great they are but the kit was junk...
Let me rephrase, all it would take is "some" body shop claiming they can do it no problem and hack it up and tell everyone it isn't a good kit. How's that suit your fancy?

All it takes is one bad review an it could tarnish a rep.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MaroonC63
Yup yup! Headers and exhaust and i cant seem to put the power down without radials. Its not a must, but with a blower im definitely going for a WIDEBODY conversion, thats a must for me personally. My friend spins at 50 mph with his stage 2 and 275 rears.
Colder days I spin at 40 with just a tune and drop-ins. I love the idea of wider rear fenders, but wifey.... Not so much!!!
Old 05-07-2014, 10:10 PM

Colder days I spin at 40 with just a tune and drop-ins. I love the idea of wider rear fenders, but wifey.... Not so much!!!
Haha i was in the same boat. But a Chanel bag means wider fenders
Old 05-07-2014, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 388 Likes on 189 Posts
C63 AMG
I was quoted 5K Canadian for a full metal wide body rear. A lot of $$$.

But the thought of tucking 305's in the rear is so appealing

What kid of wide body is your shop doing? 3K sounds like a pretty good deal, but then again you will have to repaint the rear half of your car from the B pillars back in order to blend it all correctly. Its a costly affair if you are doing it right and painting it as well.

Last edited by Kriston; 05-07-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63S Wagon
5k for a metal wide body rear is pretty cheap lol.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 388 Likes on 189 Posts
C63 AMG
Do it buddy, you know you want to.

Manny from European Autobody is a good friend of the family. He takes care of me. But 5K is actually expensive. I was quoted 3500 for a metal widebody rear for my BMW.

They are painting a few of my parts as we speak

Originally Posted by noodleman
5k for a metal wide body rear is pretty cheap lol.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63S Wagon
i'm guessing it's abit more since the doors will have to be involved, the bmw prob didn't have to do any work on the door for the flare to work.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:55 AM

MB
Ummmm because who is to say they are a "bad body shop"?
You did

One person who has let them try and install a wide body kit that they have no experience with? Who is telling the owner how great they are but the kit was junk...
Let me rephrase, all it would take is "some" body shop claiming they can do it no problem and hack it up and tell everyone it isn't a good kit. How's that suit your fancy?
Thanks I'll sleep much better tonight. I see what you're saying but check this out if your company, generally speaking, doesn't want to sell a product for "fear of a bad review" then you might as well pack up shop. I'm a believer that if your product is that good and you made it, in this case, easy to install what fears should you have?

I think they're just doing the best they can at controlling that market.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by msheredy
You did

Thanks I'll sleep much better tonight. I see what you're saying but check this out if your company, generally speaking, doesn't want to sell a product for "fear of a bad review" then you might as well pack up shop. I'm a believer that if your product is that good and you made it, in this case, easy to install what fears should you have?

I think they're just doing the best they can at controlling that market.
I did by making a point, not to be taken out of context lol.
I get what you're saying, but there is nothing easy about this type of modification. I just don't think thy want fly-by-night companies attempting to install it.
And if they are trying to control the market, good for them, smart move as they put the r&d into the product and deserve to reap the benefits for it, no?
Once the product is on the street in raw form reverse engineering is a breeze with 3D Scan Tools and 3D Modeling...