dealership error causes big mess

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 11:00 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
lol. the dealer makes the 140-150$/hr. Top techs in some areas are making 32$/hr max. Usually not even that. Back in the 80's when it was 60$/hr dealer the top techs were making 20$/hr. As the dealership charges more and makes more the tech makes less and the time given to perform a job is decreased further decreasing their overall pay.
Keep in mind these top techs are typically not given services or easy work as that is considered a waste of their abilities and less profit for the dealer when they can pay a quick service tech 15$/hr.

Benz engineers make the mistakes.... the techs get paid pennys on the dollar to fix them. interesting....
Don't think the engineers had anything to do with this 'design flaw '
The tech just forgot to put the filter cap on, that's all
No biggee

Again EVERY ONE makes mistakes

Last edited by Ingenieur; 05-22-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Everyone does make mistakes. But processes can be setup to avoid them. Depending on what industry you work in I'm sure we all have exposure to them. I work in pharma where we make complex biologic molecules and stuff still goes awry, and you'd be astounded at the incredible detail to process, SOPs, etc. Bottom line the dealership should be able to make you happy with a cleanup and a free service. They don't like this to happen either as it can knock their business I would think. I bet each dealership tracks this sort of stuff and keeps records of error rates. Too bad we don't have access to that... ;-)
Old 05-23-2014, 10:21 AM
Banned

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jcfay
Everyone does make mistakes. But processes can be setup to avoid them. Depending on what industry you work in I'm sure we all have exposure to them. I work in pharma where we make complex biologic molecules and stuff still goes awry, and you'd be astounded at the incredible detail to process, SOPs, etc. Bottom line the dealership should be able to make you happy with a cleanup and a free service. They don't like this to happen either as it can knock their business I would think. I bet each dealership tracks this sort of stuff and keeps records of error rates. Too bad we don't have access to that... ;-)
I worked in pharma/biotech power/control for many years
Validation is a pita with the FDA

I Would not track errors, at least formally and required to do so
During a lawsuit discovery fishing expedition might come back to bite you in the ***

One of my heros
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Deming

Had alot to do with winning WWII and afterwards helping the Japanese become masters at QA/QC

Last edited by Ingenieur; 05-23-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by Ingenieur
I worked in pharma/biotech power/control for many years
Validation is a pita with the FDA

I Would not track errors, at least formally and required to do so
During a lawsuit discovery fishing expedition might come back to bite you in the ***

One of my heros
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Deming

Had alot to do with winning WWII and afterwards helping the Japanese become masters at QA/QC
The data for tracking errors is only as good as the person who inputs the data. Controls are only in place to serve as guidelines for the user. A business can only apply so many levels of control before it severely hampers operations. I hold firm to the concept that the best way to circumvent the controls is to befriend the person putting the controls in place.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:42 AM
Banned

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
The data for tracking errors is only as good as the person who inputs the data. Controls are only in place to serve as guidelines for the user. A business can only apply so many levels of control before it severely hampers operations. I hold firm to the concept that the best way to circumvent the controls is to befriend the person putting the controls in place.
Controls must be integrated and enhance overall efficiency
The quality roi must be greater than the loss of production output
The method imo is to have each step checked by the perfromer
And the next person in the process before he starts
Repeat
Cant check a complex layered system too thoroughly once completed

Its a balancing act
Old 05-23-2014, 11:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Interesting. I guess my take is that I'd hope for whatever the dealer charges for an oil change (sure it ain't too cheap) they could manage to at least make double sure they check the friggin' oil cap. I know I'd never do that on my ride, never. And, moreover, if that can mess that up, then what sort of colossal disasters could occur with other repair process oversights. I'm sure there are countless horror stories, but I guess I'd also hope that there'd be fewer with Merc dealers versus, say, Kia. But I may be totally wrong there too. I'm thinking more about doing my own oil changes now...
Old 05-23-2014, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 233 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
The biggest reason this happens is the pressure the dealership puts on the techs to turn over the job fast. Any dealership mechanic will tell you that they're graded on how many jobs they get through faster than the book time. That is not an environment conducive to getting it right every time.

It's all about the dealer's profit. From our perspective we're paying $150/hour. From the dealer's perspective, they need to see the service business add ever more to the bottom line.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by whoover
The biggest reason this happens is the pressure the dealership puts on the techs to turn over the job fast. Any dealership mechanic will tell you that they're graded on how many jobs they get through faster than the book time. That is not an environment conducive to getting it right every time.

It's all about the dealer's profit. From our perspective we're paying $150/hour. From the dealer's perspective, they need to see the service business add ever more to the bottom line.
Agree with these statements. Most service shops are cut rate, meaning they are paid based on the amount of time it takes to complete each job.

Either way they should rectify the situation as stated earlier, I just don't think they owe the guy a new car. lol Which no one has stated, but I felt as though this thread was heading that way.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:22 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Don't techs also get incentivized by paying them book rate even if they complete it faster?
That way the dealer can get say 10 book hours billed in an 8 hour work day
Old 05-23-2014, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Don't techs also get incentivized by paying them book rate even if they complete it faster?
I do believe this to be the case, and if they go over that 10hrs they don't get paid for the additional time over 10.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
You did read the part of my original statement about the difference between a good dealer and a bad one is how they handle the situation right... I basically said what you have been saying all along, although I do not think you realize it.

Handling could include compensation, fixing, or doing absolutely nothing.

Originally Posted by I am Jeff
When doctors, lawyers, and engineers make mistakes, they or their company pays for the mistake. Same logic applies to the tech that ****ed up. I never said that they couldn't make mistakes, I'm just saying that some form of compensation is due. Mistakes warrant rectifying.

The $$ amount is not the point, the point is that the OP paid for a service. A mistake was made, compensation is due. When a doctor messes up, they get sued. When a Lawyer doesn't perform their due diligence, they can be sued. I'm not telling the OP to sue them or get a new engine, I'm stating that he should get the dealership to clean up the mess and compensate him in some shape or form.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:32 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
When you think about it, not only did they leave the oil cap off, but I am going to guess that they didn't start it to check the filter did not leak or if there was a problem with the seal, or else they would have spotted the cap being off.

Pretty shoddy indeed.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
You did read the part of my original statement about the difference between a good dealer and a bad one is how they handle the situation right... I basically said what you have been saying all along, although I do not think you realize it.

Handling could include compensation, fixing, or doing absolutely nothing.

lol...Yeah I missed your previous post. No hurt feelings here, just a friendly debate about expectations when you take a car in for service.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:48 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
*** dealership!!!!
Burn them!!!!
Old 05-23-2014, 04:53 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
*** dealership!!!!
Burn them!!!!
Right behind you! Who is with us!
Old 05-23-2014, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG Coupe
tomorrow ima go pick it up. ill give some more details on how that went, when i spoke to the guy over the phone, he said they were gonna steam clean it, and that they bought a new oil cap because supposedly the old one had a crack. gets me mad how they always try to rectify their Fuc up. when the flatbed picked me up the day of the incident they driver of the flatbed looked at the spill then grabbed the oil cap and twisted it on. no problems with it whatsoever.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:12 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by coladin
Right behind you! Who is with us!
Throw them in water
If they float they are loke wood and must be a witch sp burn!!!!
If they sink, oh well
Either way problem solved
Old 05-23-2014, 09:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E55 AMG; 1991 Previa

Originally Posted by coladin
When you think about it, not only did they leave the oil cap off, but I am going to guess that they didn't start it to check the filter did not leak or if there was a problem with the seal, or else they would have spotted the cap being off.

Pretty shoddy indeed.
ROFLMFAO!!!! Uhh I put 9 qts, I think... The fact that dealers can just tell you to **** off really pisses me off. It's like I gotta be buddy buddy with a service adviser to get anything done under warranty.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Techs are paid a flag rate and came make as many hours as they can flag. I have seen a tech flag 25 hours to remove and engine and pull it out in less than 2 hours. Apprentices however are paid hourly untill they are trained enough to work on their own.

Originally Posted by evodan
I try to buy oil for my clk63 black series at the dealer. First they gave me oil for Diesel engine.Told them to confirm with the tech , then they change it and try to sell me 5w30.I told them I use 5w40.They said they only use 5w30 only., included amg.
I am sure you are talking about 5w40 ESP M which is compatible with both gas and diesel engines. I have been using it for many years in my car.

This should never happen im sure the advisor and manager are going to be embarrassed and comp it and something else. We are professionals and the customer is paying top dollar to service their car. I am glad to see so many are so understanding. In the real world this type of situation usually amount to a lot of drama.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63
You should get your next few service visits free of charge for that mess. All those service B's.

The note about a cracked oil cap doesn't help their cause. They should have saw that and replaced it, if that was really true. Not let you drive down the road nearly ruining your motor.