C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Exhaust info for a noob

Old 06-20-2014, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
This and that.
I am not too worried about the shop as this guy seems like he does a lot of similar kind of work and knows what he is doing. Speaking to him he is completely comfortable with doing the work as well. While it doesn't seem like they work too much on 'high end' cars, he does seem to do a lot of exhaust work. This is who I will be taking the car to;

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Iroc-...03864103027061
Old 06-20-2014, 05:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 Diamond White C63 Coupe
There really is no need for all of this additional research. Either get straight pipes or just get an xpipe in there as well, it will sound good either way. As mentioned before, people will have different opinions on this subject.

I vote you get straight pipes from the primary cats back and love life
Old 06-20-2014, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
FML just ended up reading another thread in which no one even recommended the option I am considering. Which is x pipe for sec cats and straight for res.

Seems like everyone has different opinions on this subject. I am thinking I am just gonna start driving with my rear seats down and not even bother with anything. Almost getting to that point with the confusion now. lol
Old 06-20-2014, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by tofu-
<br />
<br />
I have to disagree. I've seen some hole in the wall exhaust shops make beautiful welds. In the end, all that matters is that it remains leak free and can be cleanly reversed come time to sell the car.
Because the welder who is at that whole in the wall making barely minimum wage is there for one reason... He enjoys what he is doing.

Another shop that is big enough to just have employees there for cash is going to have different results.

As mentioned. Take it to a place that is friendly and likes what they do.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by papashango
FML just ended up reading another thread in which no one even recommended the option I am considering. Which is x pipe for sec cats and straight for res.

Seems like everyone has different opinions on this subject. I am thinking I am just gonna start driving with my rear seats down and not even bother with anything. Almost getting to that point with the confusion now. lol
This is a public forum. With that, some of the public can be a bit... qwerky. Also, depending on who is making the argument towards one way or another some members might get behind them just because of who they are.

Consider this. If an xpipe and resonator delete were such a bad idea then why would Renntech on down through other major companies offer them as a modification? The last thing they want is a pissed off customer saying this or that as to why their product is worthless.

Like I said, people will argue the exhaust topic on here until they are blue in the face. You will not have any noticeable power loss or gain messing around with the secondary cats and resonator especially without a tune. If you do, it is a placebo effect because the car is louder.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
This is a public forum. With that, some of the public can be a bit... qwerky. Also, depending on who is making the argument towards one way or another some members might get behind them just because of who they are.

Consider this. If an xpipe and resonator delete were such a bad idea then why would Renntech on down through other major companies offer them as a modification? The last thing they want is a pissed off customer saying this or that as to why their product is worthless.

Like I said, people will argue the exhaust topic on here until they are blue in the face. You will not have any noticeable power loss or gain messing around with the secondary cats and resonator especially without a tune. If you do, it is a placebo effect because the car is louder.
+1
Old 06-20-2014, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
That's so true....

I am leaning towards removing sec cat and replacing with x pipe and removing res and replacing with straight pipe. Does this sound about right then?
Old 06-20-2014, 07:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 Coupe
That's so true....

I am leaning towards removing sec cat and replacing with x pipe and removing res and replacing with straight pipe. Does this sound about right then?

That sounds good ! Ive gone thru almost every combo of exhaust on my car before settling to where I am now with LT Headers with Valvetronic exhaust/ x pipe. But with warranty headers aren't an option for you

Ill tell you this completely straight piping these two will make it raspy which im not a fan of. The x pipe in place of the secondary cats with resonator deleted will give it more of a "race car" sound and add a bit of a higher pitch. If you went with an H pipe where the secondary cats are and straight piped the resonators it will have more of a "muscle car" sound and be deeper. Depends what you want
Old 06-20-2014, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by tofu-
yes, it will be obnoxiously loud. you'll be turning your classy c63 into something that sounds like a boy racer car.

Do a secondary cat delete and nothing more. one step at a time.

also, paying $500 for power pipes is stupid. just go to any exhaust shop and have them do the cat delete for you. it's not rocket science and should be under $100. It will not devalue your car and is easily reversible.
Guys may I suggest is the following:

Some on here are new and might have limited info on these cars.

Essentially
Here's what you need to know to mod this car the right way.

IN NOW WAY AM I SAYING BUY MY POWER PIPE

Any monkey at a muffler shop can hack your car up and charge $100.

They will put aluminized pipe ( The OEM pipe is stainless steel )

Your $100 job will be bent on a regular bender ( kinks and squeezes the diameter ) not mandrel bender.

A mandrel bender is crazy expensive ! It bends the pipes without making any indentations or kinks so the bend is a true diameter ( never shrinks at the bend ).

In the end your car will have a cheap hack job ($100) that belongs on a yugo not an AMG Mercedes..

To each is own; some don't mind putting cheap components on your car, then hey more power to you.

I respect everyone's opinions on this forum and I have been around here long enough, and have met and worked with enough people on this forum from around the world that can vouch for me and my parts.

As for the straight X and H let me fill you in since some of you haven't read the whole thread.

I made all versions before making the final 2 H and straight.

The X kills off a bit of the AMG sound and makes it more high pitched ( more exotic sound ) works ok when headers since it quiets the car a bit.
Some might not see it but once another AMG get next to you with straight or an H you will.
BTW I'm working on a H set up for headers that will make this car livable ( more on that later )

Guys just a word of advise:

DONT PUT CHEAP ALUMINIZED PIPE on a 60k car for gods sake! Lol This is not a 79 Trans-Am lol.
What ever you do make sure they

A attach your mod with a quality flange ( stainless steel ) that will let you bolt on it and off easily and not turn into a ball or rust along with your aluminized $100 piping.

Use 409 or 304 stainless steel.
Educate yourself and I don't mean just take what I say. Do research on the material and the mod you're making. Ask questions it's your $ make sure you feel good with your mod.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Mikegpr03; 06-20-2014 at 08:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rexiferp (01-16-2018)
Old 06-20-2014, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
^+1 listen to this man.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:15 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 AMG FBO, 2014 E63 AMG S
Replace the secondary cats with straight pipes and be done with it. This is what I had before going down the long tube/x-pipe route.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
lol I wanna shoot myself really...
Old 06-20-2014, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Doooooooooooooooood.

Replace secondary cats with h-pipe or x-pipe. Replace resonator with straight pipes.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
rexiferp (01-16-2018)
Old 06-21-2014, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
Seriously...think just gonna have to take the plunge and go with it. Otherwise I will never get anywhere.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C63
Seriously...think just gonna have to take the plunge and go with it. Otherwise I will never get anywhere.
Lol
Old 06-21-2014, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
I'm about to drive out to you and just take a hack saw to your exhaust so you have no choice! Haha I'm losing hair over here.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:53 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
I'm about to drive out to you and just take a hack saw to your exhaust so you have no choice! Haha I'm losing hair over here.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
Haha I think I need some 'push' like that. But on a serious note, I am already talking to my exhaust guy about all the details. So it seems like replacing the secondary cat with h pipe and resonator with straight pipe keeps the AMG sound...which is what I would like. It's the weekend so he's shut he will get back to me shortly and we will go from there.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:45 PM

C63 AMG
I just called up one of the shops here in the bay area in CA and supposedly they do real good work but the guy told me that he wouldnt even be able to work on my car, because their shop could be fined for removing the secondary cats or resonators. He said even if I go to another shop and they do it, I could be the fined or responsible. Apparently, in the past year, many smog inspection places here in California have switched over to a "STAR" program where they are much more strict on inspections, visually and mechanically so if they see that anythings out of the ordinary, no matter how well-made the straight pipe is, they wont pass you for emissions and smog. Even if you go back to stock, it will be very difficult to pass. Well, thats just wonderful.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
That's a shop just covering their ***. Keep calling around. There are a ton of shops in cali and a ton of people in cali surely running catless etc.

PS cali blow. And thats coming from a New Yorker with almost as strict regulations. That smog test is the kicker

Last edited by CarHopper; 06-21-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by Mikegpr03
Guys may I suggest is the following:

Some on here are new and might have limited info on these cars.

Essentially
Here's what you need to know to mod this car the right way.

IN NOW WAY AM I SAYING BUY MY POWER PIPE

Any monkey at a muffler shop can hack your car up and charge $100.

They will put aluminized pipe ( The OEM pipe is stainless steel )

Your $100 job will be bent on a regular bender ( kinks and squeezes the diameter ) not mandrel bender.

A mandrel bender is crazy expensive ! It bends the pipes without making any indentations or kinks so the bend is a true diameter ( never shrinks at the bend ).

In the end your car will have a cheap hack job ($100) that belongs on a yugo not an AMG Mercedes..

To each is own; some don't mind putting cheap components on your car, then hey more power to you.

I respect everyone's opinions on this forum and I have been around here long enough, and have met and worked with enough people on this forum from around the world that can vouch for me and my parts.

As for the straight X and H let me fill you in since some of you haven't read the whole thread.

I made all versions before making the final 2 H and straight.

The X kills off a bit of the AMG sound and makes it more high pitched ( more exotic sound ) works ok when headers since it quiets the car a bit.
Some might not see it but once another AMG get next to you with straight or an H you will.
BTW I'm working on a H set up for headers that will make this car livable ( more on that later )

Guys just a word of advise:

DONT PUT CHEAP ALUMINIZED PIPE on a 60k car for gods sake! Lol This is not a 79 Trans-Am lol.
What ever you do make sure they

A attach your mod with a quality flange ( stainless steel ) that will let you bolt on it and off easily and not turn into a ball or rust along with your aluminized $100 piping.

Use 409 or 304 stainless steel.
Educate yourself and I don't mean just take what I say. Do research on the material and the mod you're making. Ask questions it's your $ make sure you feel good with your mod.

Hope this helps
+63
Old 06-23-2014, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
So my exhaust guy said he can order in polished stainless steel pipes that we can use. Is that good?

Then he suggested a v band connections to make it removable. Says that it's the best and most reliable exhaust connection there is. What do you guys think?

Then he asked if the pipe on my exhaust is 2 1/2"? I am not sure?
Old 06-23-2014, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 P31
I've actually been refused by the muffler shop to do a secondary cat delete after I deleted my resonator as well. Told me they get fined for it and conflicted with emission laws. Anyone got a recommendation around the GTA (Toronto) to a shop that does secondary cat deletes?
Old 06-23-2014, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
So my exhaust guy said he can order in polished stainless steel pipes that we can use. Is that good?

Then he suggested a v band connections to make it removable. Says that it's the best and most reliable exhaust connection there is. What do you guys think?

Then he asked if the pipe on my exhaust is 2 1/2"? I am not sure?
Definitely do vbands. Talk to him about doing a Vband before and after the secondary cat and then have test pipes (regular straight pipe) made and also weld vbands onto secondary cats so you can easily swap them. Basically you're making an interchangeable exhaust.

Originally Posted by CMC-63
I've actually been refused by the muffler shop to do a secondary cat delete after I deleted my resonator as well. Told me they get fined for it and conflicted with emission laws. Anyone got a recommendation around the GTA (Toronto) to a shop that does secondary cat deletes?
Call Eurocharged
Old 06-23-2014, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
Thanks Purple I will let him know that. Also, any idea about polished stainless steel being the product I need and if it's 2.5" piping on our cars?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust info for a noob