Exhaust info for a noob

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
This and that.
Exhaust info for a noob

Okay guys I am a complete noob when it comes to exhaust stuff. For the past month and half I've been reading every single exhaust mod thread that comes up and trying to figure out what's what. Unfortunately none of it makes much sense so this is my final attempt to figure out how I can mod my exhaust to make the car a little louder with more gurgling sounds before giving up on it all together.

I hear terms like resonator, secondary cat thrown around and to be frank I am not even sure I know what is what. So I found a picture of the undercarriage of a c63 online and I was wondering if someone could label the various things on it for me so I know what is being referred to when certain names come up.

Essentially here is what I would like my car to have/not have;

1. Louder sound but not obnoxiously ear hurting loud
2. No rasp or drone
3. Don't care about performance but wouldn't want to lose any
4. No error codes thrown on the computer due to the mod
5. Preferably not void the cars warranty

Now based on what I state, what do you guys recommend I should be doing with it? I have a decent local exhaust shop and i've spoken to the guy and he is willing to work on it for me. I just need to know what I should be asking him basically.

Thanks for all the help guys and I am sorry for somewhat of a repetitive nature of the thread. But I honestly couldn't figure out what to do and which route to go from reading several earlier threads as people mention different things all the time. And most of the times I don't even know what parts are being referred to and stuff.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Go look at mikes power-pipe thread. Cut the secondary cats out and replace with straight pipe. Zero drone. More crackle pop. Mellow at cruising. Hide your children at wide open throttle.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 Coupe
Here you go.

Exhaust info for a noob-5esefu9.gif
Old 06-19-2014, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Hope this helps

Remove the secondary cats and resonator with an xpipe. Keep the primary cats in place and the mufflers. Still pass inspection and really opens up the exhaust.

Exhaust info for a noob-exhaust1_zps8382ca0d.jpg
Old 06-19-2014, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
Thanks a lot for this guys...it finally is starting to make some sense. So my exhaust guy mentioned that as long as the o2 sensors aren't messed with there shouldn't be any issues with error codes. Does that sound right?

If that's the case...any mod that would happen would be after the o2 sensors/primary cats area anyway right? Then I should stop worrying about any error signs going off?

When you say remove secondary cats and resonator with the x pipe, how is that any different than putting a straight pipe there? What is the difference between a x pipe and straight pipe? I see some people removing those and putting straight pipes.

What is mike's power pipe? Isn't that essentially just a straight pipe or is it a x pipe?

Delete resonator or secondary cats or both? Why and why not? Some people say one or the other and some people say both? What is the difference?

Do I have to get one of these pipes or can I just not get my exhaust guy to fabricate some for me if he says he can?

Thanks a lot guys I feel like I am finally making some progress about this. Also, please advise if someone has any experience with this stuff voiding their warranty. That is probably my biggest concern as my car still has around 3 years of warranty left.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:15 PM

C63
Don't touch the primaries. That will trigger a CEL light. The green arrows aren't headers. Those are mid pipes. X-pipes on these cars kill the AMG bark (quiets it down). Xpipes are useful when using longtube headers, to kill some noise and restore some low end power, which lost from the reduction of back pressure. If your simpy looking for noise remove the secondary cats. With straight pipe. If you want more sound remove the resonator and put an h-pipe.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
So do you mean, step 1; remove secondary cats and get straight pipe. Then if I want it even louder step 2, remove resonator and put h-pipe?

or do you mean one or the other? If one of the two which one is better? Will either make the car lose any power?
Old 06-19-2014, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Green arrows are what will become long tube headers. You can't see where shorty headers would be. I put those in because for the most part people get long tube headers down to about where the green arrows are and then put an xpipe in there.

Seriously. Just get an xpipe (which will get rid of the secondary cats) and delete the resonator. Done. No CELs and nothing to worry about.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
So x pipe at the secondary cats and straight pipes at the resonator? Will I lose any power? It won't be obnoxiously loud? Trying to see if I can see sound clips comparing it to stock sound online.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c63, 335i
Originally Posted by papashango
So x pipe at the secondary cats and straight pipes at the resonator? Will I lose any power? It won't be obnoxiously loud? Trying to see if I can see sound clips comparing it to stock sound online.

yes, it will be obnoxiously loud. you'll be turning your classy c63 into something that sounds like a boy racer car.

Do a secondary cat delete and nothing more. one step at a time.

also, paying $500 for power pipes is stupid. just go to any exhaust shop and have them do the cat delete for you. it's not rocket science and should be under $100. It will not devalue your car and is easily reversible.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by tofu-
yes, it will be obnoxiously loud. you'll be turning your classy c63 into something that sounds like a boy racer car.

also, paying $500 for power pipes is stupid. just go to any exhaust shop and have them do the cat delete for you. it's not rocket science and should be under $100. It will not devalue your car and is easily reversible.
so you wouldnt get Mikes power pipe??
Old 06-20-2014, 09:27 AM

C63
Originally Posted by AMGPower88
It's not that hard to delete the cats. Tell them you wanna delete your sec cats with straight pipe. And, you want it to look like a smooth factory finish. Not some hack job. And, you want stainless steel. Preferably 16 gauge.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
^ I agree that one step at a time is a good idea. However, getting rid of the secondary cats and the resonator does not make the car obnoxiously loud. Louder? Yes. Straight pipe loud? No.

It would also be cheaper to have a shop delete the secondary cats and resonator all at once and would look much cleaner as well.

Also, deleting secondary cats will not lead to CELs because sometimes people ask that so we will just get that out of the way now.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:53 AM

C63
+1

Just have the shop cut out the sec and res. Tell them you want an h-pipe where the res is at. Whatever you do, you need to balance the exhaust. And, if you do it all at once it will look cleaner and be cheaper.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:55 PM

2012 Diamond White C63 Coupe
As I mentioned before: delete the res, remove secondary cats and put stainless steel straight pipes. I posted a photo in my other thread.

It did not take away from the AMG sound at all and made the car sound that much more badass, also no CEL.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by OlegKouz
As I mentioned before: delete the res, remove secondary cats and put stainless steel straight pipes. I posted a photo in my other thread.

It did not take away from the AMG sound at all and made the car sound that much more badass, also no CEL.
Is it true that the car will still pass smog and emissions with the primary cats intact? Meaning if you delete sec. cats and resonators, you will still pass smog in California?
Old 06-20-2014, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
Originally Posted by tofu-

That's my biggest concern. Making it obnoxiously loud. But obviously getting everything done at the same time makes sense. As for the power pipe, from what I can tell it's just a straight bike and I don't feel comfortable spending that much for it considering my exhaust guy can make me one for a lot cheaper.

I don't see the point to be honest.

Originally Posted by Petakii63
It's not that hard to delete the cats. Tell them you wanna delete your sec cats with straight pipe. And, you want it to look like a smooth factory finish. Not some hack job. And, you want stainless steel. Preferably 16 gauge.
So if I delete the secondary cat and resonator and put straight pipes through, it should be good? That's what I am sort of thinking of at the moment.

Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
^ I agree that one step at a time is a good idea. However, getting rid of the secondary cats and the resonator does not make the car obnoxiously loud. Louder? Yes. Straight pipe loud? No.

It would also be cheaper to have a shop delete the secondary cats and resonator all at once and would look much cleaner as well.

Also, deleting secondary cats will not lead to CELs because sometimes people ask that so we will just get that out of the way now.
This is what I am leaning towards right now. Delete secondary cats and resonator and put straight pipes through out.

Originally Posted by Petakii63
+1

Just have the shop cut out the sec and res. Tell them you want an h-pipe where the res is at. Whatever you do, you need to balance the exhaust. And, if you do it all at once it will look cleaner and be cheaper.
What is the advantage of having a H pipe where the resonator is and straight pipe where the secondary cat is vs just putting a one long straight pipe through and through?

Originally Posted by OlegKouz

This is what I am thinking. After hearing the video clips of your car to be honest I can't even tell if it's any louder than stock. So it definitely doesn't seem like it would be obnoxiously loud doing this.

Did you feel any power loss at all?

Is it true that the car will still pass smog and emissions with the primary cats intact? Meaning if you delete sec. cats and resonators, you will still pass smog in California?
From what I've been reading and what my exhaust guy told me it seems as long as the mod happens after the o2 sensors, there should not be any CEL issues.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:21 PM

c63, 335i

Enormous waste of $. The pipes are well made, but at $400 (group buy price) + paypal fees + shipping, it just doesn't make economical sense. Any half witted exhaust shop should be able to fab up a solution just as good for around $100.
The following users liked this post:
aaacidrap (09-03-2020)
Old 06-20-2014, 03:24 PM

c63, 335i
Originally Posted by papashango
Diff strokes for diff folks, but the straight midpipe c63s i've heard are too loud for my taste. It's loud enough that i'd be embarrassed driving non-enthusiasts around in it. Don't get me wrong... it sounds cool as hell, but it's just not the image i'm personally going for.

What you could do is have the best of both worlds. Install vibrant resonators that are straight through. It'll still curb some of the ear bleeding frequencies, while being a step louder than just a cat delete.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
I have no idea what you mean by install vibrant resonators that are straight through? Please be mindful that I am a complete noob so I am trying to learn this all. Please elaborate on that and any sound clips of whatever you suggest would be extremely helpful. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
I believe this is what he means by vibrant... http://www.vibrantperformance.com/

Its a company that basically has all components to make any sort of custom exhaust.

Also, all the hate for mikes power pipe really isn't necessary. It works very well and is a great option for people who really don't have a friendly or great exhaust shop in their area. Keep in mind, this is an AMG forum, so some are less concerned with the $$ and more concerned with the quality.

You pay for what you get applies. You want flawless tig welds or spotty mig? Take your pick, pay the price.

Seriously. Want it louder but not too loud? Want to remain CEL free? Put an X-pipe in place of the secondary cats and straight pipes in place of the resonator. Done sir done.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
What is the difference between putting an x pipe at secondary cats and straight pipe for resonators vs straight pipe through out? I don't want to have any performance loss so whichever route offers that, I would be leaning towards that. Anyone has any sound clips of the x pipe/straight pipe set up?

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2014, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
People will argue straight vs x vs h pipe until they are blue in the face.

Performance difference between all of them are barely measurable if at all. Especially on a car that isn't tune and doesn't have significant modifications.

Next, if I remember correctly, the straight pipe can sometimes drone if not set up properly. The majority of members who have gone through exhaust modifications go with an x-pipe from what it seems.

Drone is stupid annoying. I got rid of my Porsche recently and one of the reasons was how bad it would drone.
The following users liked this post:
billyw204 (06-04-2019)
Old 06-20-2014, 05:15 PM

c63, 335i
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
I believe this is what he means by vibrant... <a href="http://www.vibrantperformance.com/" target="_blank">http://www.vibrantperformance.com/</a><br />
<br />
Its a company that basically has all components to make any sort of custom exhaust. <br />
<br />
Also, all the hate for mikes power pipe really isn't necessary. It works very well and is a great option for people who really don't have a friendly or great exhaust shop in their area. Keep in mind, this is an AMG forum, so some are less concerned with the $$ and more concerned with the quality. <br />
<br />
You pay for what you get applies. You want flawless tig welds or spotty mig? Take your pick, pay the price. <br />
<br />
Seriously. Want it louder but not too loud? Want to remain CEL free? Put an X-pipe in place of the secondary cats and straight pipes in place of the resonator. Done sir done.
<br />
<br />
I have to disagree. I've seen some hole in the wall exhaust shops make beautiful welds. In the end, all that matters is that it remains leak free and can be cleanly reversed come time to sell the car.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
So going the x pipe for secondary cats and straight pipe for resonator is what majority of the people do? Does it result in any sort of power loss?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust info for a noob