C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

For those of you with straight pipes in California...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 02:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
For those of you with straight pipes in California...

So you guys in California with straight pipes, how have you dealt with the smog and emissions test/inspections so far? I hear that if you buy a used car, you have to smog every year or every other year, one of those but if you buy a brand new car, it's every 6 years for smog. I really want to do a cat and res delete for my 2008 but 2 shops I have already visited here in the bay area(norcal), have told me the same thing, that smog inspection places are getting much more strict just recently and alot of people have been failing the inspections because more places are doing the visuals now.

One guy actually told me that they even look for the numbers on the sec. cats to make sure it's the correct and legal one and if you do happen to fail... well that may be considered a felony and in the future, they inspect you even more closely than they did before, looking at every pipe and part on the car, esp if your car is modded, basically giving you a very difficult time. Now, both of these shops did not say they aren't willing to do the install, because they could but just warning me that they are not liable for any future problems.
Im not sure if they're just trying to cover their own asses or whatever they're saying is actually true that smog places are getting more strict.

What do you guys think about this because it's holding me back from doing the deletes. Also, does anyone in the bay area know good smog places that are chill and I could go to even with sec.cat/res delete and still pass? Thanks
The following users liked this post:
cg3 (06-08-2023)
Old 06-27-2014, 03:06 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
'18 Audi A4
Yes california has started to switch over to the STAR system for smog. The employees do look under the hood to see if they can visually see anything that can be considered "aftermarket" and will ask you for the CARB sticker or stamp that should be on it. Only places with a lift (not many) can look under to see undercarriage. The only way to trigger that look is if you fail the smog check. With a cat delete you can pretty much guarantee to fail.

If you do buy a brand new car in california, yes it is 6 years until it has to be smogged again. After that, they fall on a cycle for recheck and so forth. I am military and have Florida plates on my car. I only have to do a one time smog check to get the car registered on base and get my DOD sticker (part of the process). Personally I think it's BS but it was for a way for california to tap into further revenue by doing that with out of state registered cars.

The only option you have is get it smogged stock, then do the cat delete. but when it is due again, have to place the stock cats back on again and drive it around for at least 20 miles or so.

Last edited by Conv_GSDriver; 06-27-2014 at 03:09 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:52 AM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Conv_GSDriver
Yes california has started to switch over to the STAR system for smog. The employees do look under the hood to see if they can visually see anything that can be considered "aftermarket" and will ask you for the CARB sticker or stamp that should be on it. Only places with a lift (not many) can look under to see undercarriage. The only way to trigger that look is if you fail the smog check. With a cat delete you can pretty much guarantee to fail.

If you do buy a brand new car in california, yes it is 6 years until it has to be smogged again. After that, they fall on a cycle for recheck and so forth. I am military and have Florida plates on my car. I only have to do a one time smog check to get the car registered on base and get my DOD sticker (part of the process). Personally I think it's BS but it was for a way for california to tap into further revenue by doing that with out of state registered cars.

The only option you have is get it smogged stock, then do the cat delete. but when it is due again, have to place the stock cats back on again and drive it around for at least 20 miles or so.
Even if I dont touch the primary cats, only secondary cats, it's a guaranteed fail? I keep hearing that as long as you dont touch the primary cats, you're good to go..
Old 06-27-2014, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C63 507 Sedan
I did a secondary cat delete with straight pipes.

My installer put a vband in place of the single cut and ensured OEM could be swapped back in as bolt on.

For smog, I can just swap back to OEM without any cuts/welds and get my stock secondary cats back. A minor PITA, but worth it for the mod..

Not sure resonator delete would affect smog or warranty. I still have mine in.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:57 AM

'18 Audi A4
Originally Posted by AMGPower88
Even if I dont touch the primary cats, only secondary cats, it's a guaranteed fail? I keep hearing that as long as you dont touch the primary cats, you're good to go..
Tough to say if it will pass with the sec cat delete. I would think that by this time there would be some proof of that on here somewhere. That is assuming everything else is stock on the car. I'm just glad I'm leaving california next year. There is a great car scene there and I will miss that but all the restrictions

Don't take chances, if you can get it smogged in stock form, do it and you have several years to think of what to do for the next one. What was mentioned above seems like a very good alternative.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C63
The secondary cat delete is an off-road pipe. That's why some members get a second Vband to swap back to the street set up when on the road and vis versa.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:32 PM

2013 C63 AMG
I haven't had to deal with that yet, but my plan was to just find a dirty smog test place and pay them off
Old 06-27-2014, 02:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by anthonymckay
I haven't had to deal with that yet, but my plan was to just find a dirty smog test place and pay them off
Old 06-27-2014, 05:32 PM

c63, 11 e350 (DD)
Haven't had to smog my car yet. But for my previous car, I paid someone $150 make it "pass"
Old 06-27-2014, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by stangxs
Haven't had to smog my car yet. But for my previous car, I paid someone $150 make it "pass"
I don't know when you guys smogged last but I have a couple mechanic friends who used to always pass my cars no problem no matter what.

Now, the whole system has changed and without getting into detail, its become insanely strict here in CA, ridiculously so. Also, there is no way to cheat the system anymore. Before they can use the results from another car to put as the car being smogged, no more.

It's whats been keeping me from modding my exhaust. Don't want to deal with the PITA it will cause.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:52 PM

C63 AMG
Anybody have mechanic friends that do the smog in the bay area that they recommend?
Old 06-27-2014, 05:59 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
Felony 1 tampering with the system
Felony 2 conspiracy to a crime: collusion with the shop
Felony 3 bribing/paying someone to commit a felony
State and Federal
Don't drop the soap lol
Old 06-27-2014, 06:00 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGPower88
Anybody have mechanic friends that do the smog in the bay area that they recommend?
'Friends' ?
You mean 'accomplices'
Old 06-27-2014, 07:28 PM

C63 AMG
^^Lulz, is it that serious..??

Last edited by AMGPower88; 06-27-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:32 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
This dude tried

Old 06-27-2014, 08:37 PM

2012 S550, 2012 C63
If you guys are actually going to "work" the system, you might want to consider using an alternate form of communication than an open forum.

Talk to people at car events (track) and ask them what they do.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:48 PM

2013 C63 AMG
Luckily I have 5 more years before I have to worry about smog checks. But the reality is, it's not that hard to find a shop that will pass your car for money under the table. It's not exactly uncommon.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by Ingenieur
Felony 1 tampering with the system
Felony 2 conspiracy to a crime: collusion with the shop
Felony 3 bribing/paying someone to commit a felony
State and Federal
Don't drop the soap lol
Listen to the man he's right
Old 06-27-2014, 10:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2014 E63S Wagon, 2013 odyssey
Originally Posted by Conv_GSDriver

What branch are you in? I haven't had stickers on my car since ~2008 (AF). The only place I used to get hassled about stickers was at Ft. Meade when the Army still used the decals.

Edward
Old 06-27-2014, 11:12 PM

'18 Audi A4
Originally Posted by afaedC63
What branch are you in? I haven't had stickers on my car since ~2008 (AF). The only place I used to get hassled about stickers was at Ft. Meade when the Army still used the decals.

Edward
Marine Corps. I'm well aware of the DoD stoppage of that program to save money and so forth. Before that I was at MacDill AFB in Tampa and they stopped doing that like in 07/08. Somehow the MC still enforces that on all the bases on the west coast . I have to check again to see if it is still a requirement but a couple of years ago when i bought my vette (2012) it was still a requirement .
Old 06-27-2014, 11:17 PM

'18 Audi A4
Originally Posted by anthonymckay
Luckily I have 5 more years before I have to worry about smog checks. But the reality is, it's not that hard to find a shop that will pass your car for money under the table. It's not exactly uncommon.
Highly unlikely with the STAR system in place. There's a reason why CA went to that, they are well aware of the underground network and quite simply it's just not worth it to try to get by it. The state does have inspectors who show up unannounced and in some cases film from a distance what a shop is doing to the car to try and catch any altering procedures. just have the inserts done, cost you a few $$ but in the long run it's worth all the hassle that would folow if you try to circumvent it.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
I have my rear cats and resonator removed and I just took it to the crappiest torn down place I could find. They barely spoke English I told them to test it only and not send the info in because I wasn't sure it was going to pass because of the mod. They looked a bit worried but honestly they were so stupid even though I told them it was modified they couldn't even tell. They even said I see the cats (front) no problem. The car passed fine as well.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:53 PM

'18 Audi A4
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
I have my rear cats and resonator removed and I just took it to the crappiest torn down place I could find. They barely spoke English I told them to test it only and not send the info in because I wasn't sure it was going to pass because of the mod. They looked a bit worried but honestly they were so stupid even though I told them it was modified they couldn't even tell. They even said I see the cats (front) no problem. The car passed fine as well.
That's good news, to your knowledge was that a STAR system place? or a place that is still under the old system? There are still some places around like that which have not converted to the new one but those are on a short list too.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C63 AMG Coupe
Laws here are awful-

For what it's worth, my car would pass the sniffer now even with headers.

I'm using random tech high flow metallic cats after my headers with a full 3 inch exhaust. Sounds awesome and doesn't stink....less stink than stock!
Old 06-28-2014, 06:54 AM

'18 Audi A4
Here's a good breakdown of the law that went into effect 1 Jan 13, AB 2289
http://www.the370z.com/southern-cali...-1-2013-a.html

Some on STAR and what it is
http://www.importtuner.com/features/..._program_star/

and some overall information
http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/smog-check.php

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: For those of you with straight pipes in California...