C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Headers with standard rest of exhaust?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 03:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG 507 Edition
Headers with standard rest of exhaust?

Hi there, I'm interested in getting headers put on the car for the HP gains, but i don't really want to change the sound of the car or make it louder. Is changing the headers but leaving the rest standard a viable option? Or does this just cause poor exhaust flow lower down and you still get back pressure and hence no HP gains?

Also, do you need to get a tune done to get the advantage of change of headers?
Old 07-13-2014, 04:23 AM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 Coupe, 2014, 507
Headers only (with cats) = large increase in volume & raspiness.
PM me & you can hear what mine sounds like now (I'm in Melbourne), but late this week I will be adding some custom mufflers and a balance pipe which will hopefully make it acceptable.
I did a tune too ... total of ~40rwkW
Old 07-13-2014, 04:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
Bardman your car will sound exactly like mine

Ps I may have a set of ipe headers for sale if your interested
Old 07-13-2014, 08:58 AM

C63 AMG 507 Edition
I didn't realise you just had your headers done, thought you had the exhaust done as well. Your car is crazy loud!

It seems you still get performance gains though just by changing the headers? Did you need to tune it to get the perf gains or does the car adjust itself?

I'll send you a PM on those IPE's.

Originally Posted by mr747

Old 07-13-2014, 09:03 AM

C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by Southways
PM me & you can hear what mine sounds like now (I'm in Melbourne), but late this week I will be adding some custom mufflers and a balance pipe which will hopefully make it acceptable.
PM in your inbox.

What headers did you get?
Old 07-13-2014, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c63
South ways car is louder then mine lol
He has a full ipe exhaust

No u need a retune
Old 07-13-2014, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Southways
Could you PM me what your exhaust sounds like - this is exactly what I was thinking of doing.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
507 SEDAN
Hey man,

I have finally installed my headers and desired the same effect as you. I knew that I wanted long tube headers but did not want to change the AMG sound, the wonderful OEM exhaust, mufflers, resonators, and I definitely didn't want to be one of those idiots with a louder than hell car and annoying interior drone.

I installed full Kleemann LTH and had them ceramic coated. Jerry and the guys at Eurocharged did the install. I had been sitting on them for a year or so waiting to get them on my 507. Now all I have are the headers and no other non-OEM parts or anything removed. Up front: the Kleemann's. Behind that: all the original OEM AMG components. I have to tell you that I am so happy with it. Obviously, Euro did a great job and I am so pleased that I obtained the desired effect while gaining some HP.

Bardman, the car sounds wonderful. It's partially to do with the AMG resonators and mufflers, and partly because of the headers. The volume increased slightly, but the tone did not. Which is what I was going for and I believe that you are too. In my quest to mod my 507, I want to retain as many AMG components as possible, but wanted gains that were above assembly roll-off. I think my 507 sounds fantastic and am waiting to get it on the dyno. Unfortunately, I had them installed while Euro was moving to a bigger facility and they had not setup the dyno yet.

I hope this helps you on your decision making. All I can tell you is that I share and wanted the exact same thing as you and I got it. Kleemann long tube headers with all OEM exhaust parts. The car sounds great!!
Old 07-13-2014, 01:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 P31 AMG

You removed headers? Or running mbh?
Old 07-13-2014, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c63
nah i brought another ipe exhaust but only need the rear section so i just need to get rid of the front half

Last edited by mr747; 07-13-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:42 PM

C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by jordanaf
Hey man,

I have finally installed my headers and desired the same effect as you. I knew that I wanted long tube headers but did not want to change the AMG sound, the wonderful OEM exhaust, mufflers, resonators, and I definitely didn't want to be one of those idiots with a louder than hell car and annoying interior drone.

I installed full Kleemann LTH and had them ceramic coated. Jerry and the guys at Eurocharged did the install. I had been sitting on them for a year or so waiting to get them on my 507. Now all I have are the headers and no other non-OEM parts or anything removed. Up front: the Kleemann's. Behind that: all the original OEM AMG components. I have to tell you that I am so happy with it. Obviously, Euro did a great job and I am so pleased that I obtained the desired effect while gaining some HP.

Bardman, the car sounds wonderful. It's partially to do with the AMG resonators and mufflers, and partly because of the headers. The volume increased slightly, but the tone did not. Which is what I was going for and I believe that you are too. In my quest to mod my 507, I want to retain as many AMG components as possible, but wanted gains that were above assembly roll-off. I think my 507 sounds fantastic and am waiting to get it on the dyno. Unfortunately, I had them installed while Euro was moving to a bigger facility and they had not setup the dyno yet.

I hope this helps you on your decision making. All I can tell you is that I share and wanted the exact same thing as you and I got it. Kleemann long tube headers with all OEM exhaust parts. The car sounds great!!
Did you get this?

http://australia.vividracing.com/kle...1014895169.php

It talks about cutting and welding. Did you need to get your standard exhaust cut to fit these? Did you get a tune as well?

Anyone in Aus had experience with Kleemann headers?
Old 07-13-2014, 10:47 PM

C63 AMG 507 Edition
nah i brought another ipe exhaust but only need the rear section so i just need to get rid of the front half
Why did you go IPE? Have you seen other options in Aus? It seems you can get Eisenmann headers here also: http://www.eisenmann.com.au/ They are actually Southern BM, but it seems you can get AMG compatible exhausts through them.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:34 AM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 Coupe, 2014, 507
South ways car is louder then mine lol
He has a full ipe exhaust
No u need a retune
Ummm ... Mine is not a full IPE - just headers & cats, but ceramic coated.
Exhaust with no tune netted ~30rwkW. Tune added another ~10.
Will be quiet by the end of the week - all going well.

I was unable to get a commitment on Eisenmann fitment for C63 Coupe RHD.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c63
Opppsssss my mistake bud sorry
Old 07-14-2014, 09:37 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Does anyone have any "sound-bites" for LTH only - if so please post them so us Rookies can hear what it would sound like.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c63
Old 07-14-2014, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c63
Originally Posted by EngCon
Does anyone have any "sound-bites" for LTH only - if so please post them so us Rookies can hear what it would sound like.
there you go mate ^^^headers only
Old 07-14-2014, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
507 SEDAN
Originally Posted by Bardman
Did you get this?

http://australia.vividracing.com/kle...1014895169.php

It talks about cutting and welding. Did you need to get your standard exhaust cut to fit these? Did you get a tune as well?

Anyone in Aus had experience with Kleemann headers?

No man, I have the full tubes. What you are showing is just a four out from the manifold. Notice that there isn't any pipe coming off those. Those are shorties, or "log headers". They are exactly like the AMG design that comes off the factory line, just a wider diameter. I had those on my last C63, a 2010. Check out the headers for the (M156)C63:

http://www.kleemann.dk/Performance/t...ExhaustHeaders

The pic on the top of the page is what I have. Notice how much pipe there is coming off the manifold, then to the collector.

What you are showing is just the manifold coming off the block. I also have the collector, that goes from the 4 pipes into one going out the back. And yes, there is cutting and welding involved. Since they are TRUE long tube headers, a section of the OEM pipe has to come out because of the length that the tubes run. But, it's just removing a section of the exhaust and welding the existing exhaust pipes that run out the back to the headers. Then welding the bung at the cat-back back into the setup.

And yes, I have the V4 tune. It is such a wonderful setup. And the only thing I am doing to my 507. My mods are done. I am leaving it this way. I have the tune, headers, Eurocharged pulley, Carbonio airbox, and a Quaife LSD. It's enough for me. I do not need a race car. Just a nice, high performance sedan.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:17 PM

2009 C63 AMG
there you go mate ^^^headers only
Thanks Brother - sounds just right!
Probably a bit louder than stock cruising but a nice tone when in it.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c63
Originally Posted by EngCon
Thanks Brother - sounds just right!
Probably a bit louder than stock cruising but a nice tone when in it.
honestly you cant hear it cruising but when you step on it bam
Old 07-15-2014, 05:48 AM

C63 AMG 507 Edition
honestly you cant hear it cruising but when you step on it bam
Can't hear it cruising - lol!
Old 07-15-2014, 06:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c63
^^ just normal around town is ok that's what I ment
Old 01-16-2017, 05:18 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
2012 C63 AMG, 1991 325iS. Ex: 2011 C63 P31
Hi guys
sorry for the thread revival, I didn't want to start a sort of duplicate thread.

So my current exhaust setup is the complete stock system with secondary cats hollowed out, resonators hollowed out, and mufflers removed.

I am considering getting headers installed, but keeping the rest of the system in place.

Will that be ok?
I don't mind it being stupid loud, I don't even mind the drone (It's a weekend toy).
But I don't want it to be so loud that panels inside the car start rattling apart!
Old 01-16-2017, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
I think it will only get that loud if you remove the muffler boxes by the tips and it'll drone like crazy too ^

Apparently the W212 63 exhaust boxes are bigger and muffle the sound better....maybe try those if you want to make it quieter. Supposedly an X-pipe will help to eliminate some excess sound too, so you might want to add one, place of your hollowed out resonators (but seriously, what on earth is a hollowed out resonator...I thought they were a straight through design anyway? )

From what I've heard, the car sounds badass and angry. Morning cold starts though...FML....your neighbours will hate you.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:05 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
2012 C63 AMG, 1991 325iS. Ex: 2011 C63 P31
Originally Posted by Celicasaur
I think it will only get that loud if you remove the muffler boxes by the tips and it'll drone like crazy too ^

Apparently the W212 63 exhaust boxes are bigger and muffle the sound better....maybe try those if you want to make it quieter. Supposedly an X-pipe will help to eliminate some excess sound too, so you might want to add one, place of your hollowed out resonators (but seriously, what on earth is a hollowed out resonator...I thought they were a straight through design anyway? )

From what I've heard, the car sounds badass and angry. Morning cold starts though...FML....your neighbours will hate you.
Haha the resonators are straight through, but there's some stuffing you can remove to help with the exhaust note.

Currently the muffler boxes are out, so it is basically straight through from the primary cats, all the way to the tips

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Headers with standard rest of exhaust?