Tinting windows .... even worth it ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 12:52 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 C63S coupe '09 C63, '15 Durango RT, '14 Jeep SRT8
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
^ Upstate. I don't live around those liberal shenanigans
Not too sure about there, ive driven before and never gotten pulled over but here in Manhattan, you will get pulled over just for that. Law is 70 all around and back windshield is any percentage i think.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 894 Likes on 628 Posts
E63S | X5
Gotchya, I always thought it was just 70 for front windows.

Anyway, OP, 50% really isn't that dark, but dark enough to know it is there. I'd call it "privacy glass" rather than actual tint. If you get harassed at 50% then I'd feel bad for you. Silly mounties.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ingenieur
There is a well defined law in PA and Troopers should know that It is not subjective thank goodness lol
In PA which there hasnt been a tint law regardless of what DMV website says, it states that you must be able to see from inside the car. There has never been a set percentage nor has it been a no tint law. Like I stated its confusing. A few friends of mine are PA State Troopers and if they does give a tint ticket which he rarely does, they list it under PA MVC 4702- unlawful activities.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by w204nyc
In PA which there hasnt been a tint law regardless of what DMV website says, it states that you must be able to see from inside the car. There has never been a set percentage nor has it been a no tint law. Like I stated its confusing. A few friends of mine are PA State Troopers and if they does give a tint ticket which he rarely does, they list it under PA MVC 4702- unlawful activities.
I love that it says that you must be able to see from inside the car - now that would some tough drivin', nice tint be damned, if it was that blacked out! Here's what I found on NY State tint laws:

Windshield: Non-reflective tint on the top 6 inches of the windshield is allowed.
Front Side windows: Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side windows: Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.

Not sure if it's right. I'm moving to Westchester co., so hopefully the coppers will cut me a break if I do some more tint. I'd really like to.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by jcfay
I love that it says that you must be able to see from inside the car - now that would some tough drivin', nice tint be damned, if it was that blacked out! Here's what I found on NY State tint laws: Windshield: Non-reflective tint on the top 6 inches of the windshield is allowed. Front Side windows: Must allow more than 70% of light in. Back Side windows: Must allow more than 70% of light in. Rear Window: Any darkness can be used. Not sure if it's right. I'm moving to Westchester co., so hopefully the coppers will cut me a break if I do some more tint. I'd really like to.
You'll be fine in westchester. My brother lives in westchester, an he has 5% sides and back window and he's never had a tint ticket! For the most part, ppl in ny usually go with 35% all around. Thats playing it safe as most cops unless they're rookies, wont stop you just for that. With that said, if you get pulled over for speeding or any other moving violation, you will most likely get slapped with tint tickets as well!
Old 07-27-2014, 02:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63
.I decided I need to tint, some time ago. I'm concered about tint being scrached and becoming cloudy etc. Rejection of heat is what I seek and attendent privacy wouldn't be bad either. However I don't want to hurt vision of Occupants to see outside either especially through the windshield. then there is the rear window defroster.
Anyone?
Old 07-27-2014, 08:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
Originally Posted by jcfay
great thread. currently living in NJ, where there is a well documented no tint law, I figured I was out of luck. I'm moving to NY, however, so gotta check what the laws there are. I'd love to get some tint as my new black rig has become an oven on some days. I'll have to do some tint research now too, it looks like folks in the thread have chosen all different %s for side/rear/front. It sounds like in states where there are no tint laws it's a bit of a gamble, but I'm betting that since we're driving a "luxury" car we get proportionally hassled less than some poor guy in a less-expensive ride. AKA profiling (not that I'm a fan of this or want to start some sort of political discussion, which I definitely DON'T). Just saying.
You will find that NY laws are tougher than NJ.

In NJ you are allowed to have no tint applied to the front side windows, however any darkness may be used on the rear side windows and the rear windshield.

In NY you are allowed to apply a tint that allows up to 70% VLT on the side windows and any darkness on the rear windshield. 70% is practically clear.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:14 AM

2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
PA is really tricky. Ive been told by state troopers that there really isn't a law, and thats its realy complicated but there isn't a no tint rule, its just what they enforce. I have a house in PA and I drive my toureg that has 30% all around with PA plates and no problem. You're more likely to get pulled over for a registration sticker than tints
You were misinformed and now you are misinforming others. There is no such thing as "it's complicated but there isn't a rule". In fact, the rule is very straightforward (see link). However, all tickets are written at the discretion of the complaining officer.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...ets/fs-sun.pdf
Old 07-27-2014, 09:29 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
That is the actual law posted on the state website
Period
No confusion
70% unless you have a medical exemption
Or are a limo, etc
Old 07-27-2014, 09:41 AM
Banned

C63 AMG
State Troopers use the meter

And tint is the number one initial stop justification in PA for stops leading up to drug arrests
And thanks to scotus the threshhold for a search has just gotten much lower

I'm not sure why people think cops are stupid or aren't wiley
Old 07-27-2014, 10:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
thanks all. Alright, I need some clarification. If the car comes stock with glass that is tinted at 70%, and let's say I want a target of 35%, then I'd want 50% applied to cut my 70% in half, right? I'm new to this tint idea since I thought it was totally out of bounds (I gather there's still risk). Second, police have a tint meter they can use to check tint? It says on the NY state law that all tinted windows must also have tint "sticker" applied that described tint on each window.

I'm not surprised that tint is the #1 justification given which then lead to drug arrests. Again, profiling. Since I live a drug-free lifestyle, and since we're also driving lux vehicles as I suggested before, and I'll make sure to keep my paperwork close-to-hand (good advice!) then maybe I can avoid tint-related tickets. Fingers crossed.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:05 AM
Banned

C63 AMG
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/06...bchapOtoc.html

This is the actual PA Code section
It refrrences the dmv chart
It also has a table (table X)

It is crystal clear lol

The provisions of this Table IX readopted December 2, 1988, effective December 3, 1988, 18 Pa.B. 5362. Immediately preceding text appears at serial page (77610).

TABLE X—ACCEPTABLE LIGHT TRANSMITTANCE LEVELS
FOR VEHICLE GLAZING
All light transmittance levels listed below assume a 3% accuracy (±3%).

Front Side Rear Side
Vehicle Type Windshield Windows/Wings Windows/Wings Rear Window
Pre-1998 Passenger Cars 70% 70% 70% VESC-20*
1998 & Newer Passenger Cars 70% 70% 70% 70%
Trucks & Multi-Purpose
Passenger Vehicles 70% 70% No Requirement No Requirement
Medium/Heavy Trucks & Buses 70% 70% No Requirement No Requirement
All Other Vehicles 70% 70% No Requirement No Requirement
Old 07-27-2014, 12:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by rage2
Double limo? How can you even see out of it at night? Haha
It's really hard, but manageable lol. Other cars headlights look like a very faint candle light/dot, while everything else is black. I usually have the windows rolled down if I do any night driving, but I rarely do any after hours driving. Also, blue-eyed people tend to have a better intake of visual light.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by dcjwlee
You were misinformed and now you are misinforming others. There is no such thing as "it's complicated but there isn't a rule". In fact, the rule is very straightforward (see link). However, all tickets are written at the discretion of the complaining officer. http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...ets/fs-sun.pdf
Not misinforming anyone, it has never been 70% because if you are ticketed for tints and you go to court, they will tell you they have a no tint law. A no tint law is not 70% all around. You're talking about a state that had two different addresses, regular home address and a emergency 3-code address. Everything there is confusing. I know what the dmv website is but drive to PA and ask any trooper that you like and you will see.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:13 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Not misinforming anyone, it has never been 70% because if you are ticketed for tints and you go to court, they will tell you they have a no tint law. A no tint law is not 70% all around. You're talking about a state that had two different addresses, regular home address and a emergency 3-code address. Everything there is confusing. I know what the dmv website is but drive to PA and ask any trooper that you like and you will see.
You are wrong
The link to the pa code is above
As is the chart from the code
70%
That is law
Absolutely no confusion nor debate
I have a feeling you may find everything 'confusing'? Lol

One of my best friend was a trooper and now is a chief for a town
He says there is a tint law
He's going to let me use his tint meter to see what oem is
He also invited you to drive thru his town with tinted windows lol

Last edited by Ingenieur; 07-27-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:16 PM

You are wrong The link to the pa code is above As is the chart from the code 70% That is law Absolutely no confusion nor debate
I'm not saying I'm right, i'm saying what actually happens. An officer follows the no tint law and so does the court. They dont follow the 70% is what i'm saying.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:20 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
I'm not saying I'm right, i'm saying what actually happens. An officer follows the no tint law and so does the court. They dont follow the 70% is what i'm saying.
Directly from a trooper
State police say that’s not the case. At the Wyoming barracks, Trooper Tom Kelly showed us how a tint meter works. The device is suctioned onto the inside of a window during a traffic stop to measure how much light can pass through tinted windows.

“We’re getting 55 percent right now. Technically, that would be a citable offense.”

Trooper Kelly says 70 percent of light needs to be able to pass through front driver and passenger side windows. That number is a PennDOT vehicle regulation.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:27 PM

Directly from a trooper State police say that’s not the case. At the Wyoming barracks, Trooper Tom Kelly showed us how a tint meter works. The device is suctioned onto the inside of a window during a traffic stop to measure how much light can pass through tinted windows. “We’re getting 55 percent right now. Technically, that would be a citable offense.” Trooper Kelly says 70 percent of light needs to be able to pass through front driver and passenger side windows. That number is a PennDOT vehicle regulation.
I know how meters work, my brother was a NY State Trooper and is now a Sergeant. Ive seen how it works. You're not understanding. I'm not stating facts or laws. I was merely stating how it is in real life. Not making it up lol my aunt works in a traffic court room and she sees what happens.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:32 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
AG's position
Pennsylvania (PA), through its Attorney General’s office, requires that vehicles that are operated in the Keystone State meet visibility standards (i.e. tinting, window tint, car tint) both inside and outside of the vehicle. State troopers and police officers are authorized to uphold safety laws like the tint law, including administering fines and penalties to people who violate the PA window tinting law.

Light transmittance in all vehicles, with or without tinted windows, operated in PA must be greater than 70%. According to PennDOT and as reported at the Pennsylvania Attorney General’s official website.

Drivers can have the tinting on their windows checked during annual inspection. Even if you present your vehicle registration, the inspection station could require you to comply with the PA tint laws before they approve your annual inspection.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:14 PM

Slow Vehicle
5% tint all around in MTL.. only got pulled over once.. other than that, never had a problem
Old 07-27-2014, 03:19 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Overspooled
5% tint all around in MTL.. only got pulled over once.. other than that, never had a problem
People smoke weed in public in Montreal
Lol

5% on the windshield?!
Imo 5% looks bad, 'ricey'
Not to mention unsafe

Last edited by Ingenieur; 07-27-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 Coupe
I live in NJ and commute thru the 5 boroughs regularly. Ive had tints on my cars for over 10 years and only got pulled over once in my first car for 35% tints as was let go he just used it to check out if i was driving drunk. My c63 first had 20% tints side+rear I decided i wanted it darker and threw on 5% on top of the 20% its very dark and no one can see me inside my car when I close the panoramic roof shade. Have had zero issues getting pulled over *knock on wood* My windshield is not tinted at all though I like being able to see where I'm going especially when driving hard more of a safety thing for myself, passengers and other cars