C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

hello will my vehicle make it through car wash with a front lip on?

Old 07-31-2014, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63

i was planning on purchasing the godhand style front lip but i went through the car wash today and the amount of space underneath by the front seems kind of small.
does anyone know how many more inches more it would take up compared to the stock bumper?
did anyone using this front lip have any problem going through car washes?
if i cant make it through i wasn't going to order the lip
if anyone can help thank you so much

im sure everyone knows what it looks like but just incase
and sorry to whosever car this is i just grabbed the picture off google

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._2199367_n.jpg
Old 07-31-2014, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Try this: if you are concerned it won't, and are afraid that it will get damaged, don't go through a car wash. Wash it another way, or by hand. What do you think? Brilliant?
Old 07-31-2014, 09:45 AM

C63
thank you for your reply that was my original choice when i first got the car but it always stayed dirty because it took me weeks to clean it myself and with all the brake dust it gets dirty in less than a week so i started going to car washes
unfortunately i wont be washing it myself anymore
thank you so much for your reply

edit:
forgive me i didnt mention i would wash and wax and go through a whole process when i did it myself thats why it took so long i watched a bunch of videos from ammonyc and learned car detailing and bought 2000$ worth of detailing euipment but i decided it was too time consuming and too much effort it made me rather have the car dirty than do all that
i also dont have a garage so when i go dry it the wind picks up dust and pieces of leaves so its not as good when i dry it
i also dont have a hose so its inconvenient for me to ask my friends if i can use their house to wash my car
i also bought the spray car wash where you dont need any water but it takes way too long and too much effort, its just so much easier for me to pay for a car wash every week or 2.
i dont mean to disrespect or put aside your answer, i am sincerely thankful for your reply i have no one else to ask about this

Last edited by oofzcuky; 07-31-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
Are you lowered? If not, the Godhand front lip will clear pretty much anything.

I have the front lip with a drop & no problem at all driving over speed bumps.

BTW, dont u have touchless car washes w/o rails in your area?
Old 07-31-2014, 10:22 AM

C63
hello the car isn't lowered and i don't know of any car washes without rails here but i will ask around thank you for informing me
and about the car being being able to go over speed bumps even after lowering sounds great thank you so much im glad someone else is using this one i was having trouble deciding between this and the arkym.

do you know how much lower it is compared to stock by any chance?
Old 07-31-2014, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by oofzcuky
hello the car isn't lowered and i don't know of any car washes without rails here but i will ask around thank you for informing me
and about the car being being able to go over speed bumps even after lowering sounds great thank you so much im glad someone else is using this one i was having trouble deciding between this and the arkym.

do you know how much lower it is compared to stock by any chance?
I see that you're in queens. I recall a buddy of mine used to take his car to one in flushing for hand washes. Around 20 dollars for a wash.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:45 AM

C63
thank you so much i think that's a great alternative, i think your talking about the one on utopia off the lie? maybe
do you know if they have rails there by any chance? iv been there before but i don't recall if they had rails or if they just drove it through.
theres a car wash a couple blocks from my house so i was trying to see what would be most convenient.
i saw maybe 2 inches give or take from the bottom of my current stock bumper so if the lip adds less than that i may be able to fit through, it not i will go to the hand car wash if they don't have rails, thank you so much
Old 07-31-2014, 10:47 AM

C63 AMG & 911 Turbo
Schools are on holiday...
Old 07-31-2014, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hand washes service would be much cleaner than touchless car washes for sure, very good option between touchless car washes as hand washes are more expensive.

As for clearance, I measured 4" off the ground to my front lip with the h&r springs so still a good amount of clearance. H&r drops the car .75"-1" for ur infos. So u should have 5" clearance at stock height.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:56 AM

C63
Roswell dude i dont know how to express my gratitude but thank you so much im gonna check how much room i have based on your measurements
thank you thank you and thank you
your making me think about getting my car lowered
Old 07-31-2014, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No problem.. I would just go to ur favorite car wash & ask them how many inch are the rails.. Or measure urself.. If lower than 4 inch, u can buy the front lip & lower the car. I'm pretty sure the rails are not 4" tall.

The front lip itself is not so low, it overlaps our bumper a bit giving the impression to be low.

U can view my pics here & judge for urself.. Good luck!

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...rothers-d.html
Old 07-31-2014, 11:22 AM

C63
your car looks hot, it looks like you put so much work into it you must take pride in it
i might want to do the trunk spoiler and the mirrors.

i checked my car just now and its about 5 inches from the lowest point on the side
i think that answered all my questions and it might be a great idea to go there and measure it myself
its great to know that it overlaps and doesn't take as much space thank you again i decided to order it
Old 07-31-2014, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 E53 SG
don't go through car washes with rails. Had wheel damage on one of my former cars. will never go again. hand car wash isn't that much more money and doesn't risk issues with wheels or front lip clearance.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^^ I agree, try to find a car wash railess. It will solve all ur clearance problem & risk of scratching ur wheels.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Yeah dude, no car washes with rails. I'm washing mine myself now and plan on continuing to do so, but those brush car washes can thrash the paint IIRC. If you can't do it, see the 2K worth of detailing gear you bought (really, 2K?), and then you'll have some cash for a whole bunch of details...
Old 07-31-2014, 05:13 PM

C63
okay thank you for your opinions, i noticed the rail is really really close to my rims and made me nervous maybe i should go to the hand wash i just need to make sure they don't have rails.
and yes 2k for real, 300 for the meguairs dual action polisher, if you go to http://www.ammonyc.com/
i basically bought everything there, their stuff works great but expensive and they have really detailed videos about everything. it is very overpriced im not recommending anyone to get it all.
and i had to get all the buckets with the grid and brushes for interior
different sized brushes for the rims
50+ microfiber towels
all the 6" foam pads for the polisher and for hand
compound, polisher, different waxes, hard wax and soft wax on top
interior cleaner and lather
tire shine
2 different rim cleaners
car wash soap
no water car wash soap
extension cords
standing lights to work on it outside
gloves

im not sure about everything but definetly over 2k. was a ton of stuff i researched for 3 months and watched every video on youtube on detailing

but yeah in the end i decided its too much work i rather have someone else do it
i think i will stick with the hand wash thank you guys
Old 07-31-2014, 07:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
I googled the godhand lip and it is pretty cool. But I have to say that if I was really concerned about clearance at my only way to wash, I might save the money and forego it.

Besides, it looks like the type of lip that needs to go with a drop (level/flush), new rear diffuser, and some nice concave rims to make it really look right.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:33 PM

'10 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by willfinch36
Schools are on holiday...
Old 07-31-2014, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by oofzcuky
okay thank you for your opinions, i noticed the rail is really really close to my rims and made me nervous maybe i should go to the hand wash i just need to make sure they don't have rails.
and yes 2k for real, 300 for the meguairs dual action polisher, if you go to http://www.ammonyc.com/
i basically bought everything there, their stuff works great but expensive and they have really detailed videos about everything. it is very overpriced im not recommending anyone to get it all.
and i had to get all the buckets with the grid and brushes for interior
different sized brushes for the rims
50+ microfiber towels
all the 6" foam pads for the polisher and for hand
compound, polisher, different waxes, hard wax and soft wax on top
interior cleaner and lather
tire shine
2 different rim cleaners
car wash soap
no water car wash soap
extension cords
standing lights to work on it outside
gloves

im not sure about everything but definetly over 2k. was a ton of stuff i researched for 3 months and watched every video on youtube on detailing

but yeah in the end i decided its too much work i rather have someone else do it
i think i will stick with the hand wash thank you guys
Wow, did u really bought all that? That is overkill, just a bucket with a good car wash soap, sponge (or mits) & chamois is all u need for a good wash. 20$ max lol

Wax & seal once or twice a year by a pro is more than enough.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:11 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,350 Likes on 2,806 Posts
2012 CLS63
no, you must not do it!!!!!!
Old 07-31-2014, 08:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
Could've just went the Griot's route and got a couple microfiber wash mits, bucket with a dirt guard, Griot's car wash, Griot's spray wax, clay bar kit, 4-5 microfiber towels (you can wash them just don't use dryer sheets to dry), and a nice microfiber finishing towel.

Seriously, just handwash wash it every other month and hit it with a spray wax. Clay bar once a year. You would have saved $1900.

The more you wash, the more you will wear away the clear coat with scratches. The paint on the C63 is hard. I don't believe in washing a car so much, especially in the summer. In the winter it's important to get the salts off to recent prevent, but other than that less is more.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:15 PM

C63
i originally had to fix the paint so i needed compound and polisher and wax and then as i looked into it i found out
you need a new microfiber towel for each wipe or it looks imperfect under light those tiny scratches.
you need to clay bar it before you wash so you get every tiny thing off before you seal it up with wax or its stuck there under the wax
so you need to be in a garage so your not outside with the wind blowing
you need to wash the car from top to bottom without over lapping the mitts or there will be dust stuck under mitts and it will make tiny scratches
if you had paint damage you need to put compound and then you have to put polish before you wax it
you need to put hard wax on after so there's a thick layer of protection after you made it perfect
you need to put soft wax after that if you want to make it extra shiny

i don't regret at all buying all those supplies because i did end up correcting my paint and learned many skills so its not a problem for me. i did it for a hobby. but i dont want to do all that work its time consuming and like i said before i don't have a hose or a garage so its inconvenient for me to go out of my way to ask someone to let me use their driveway and hose to wash my car.

i think i'll just go to handwash lol
Old 08-01-2014, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
car washes with rails still exist in this world?

hand wash if you can... failing that, a touchless drive in car wash. Rails are 100% no good. you might not see it but they have a tendency to scrape the inner side of your wheels (ask noodleman)... just not worth it imo
Old 08-01-2014, 10:22 AM

C63
thank you for your opinion i'm glad to learn the easy way. it did look very tight to me. i don't know noodleman but i will definitely learn from his experience thank you
btw those rims in your sig look hot really matches the cars body like the lines on the hood and the lines on the grill
Old 08-01-2014, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Like others here have said, just wash it yourself or take it to a hand wash car wash. You don't have to detail and wax your car with every wash. Once a year is more than enough. There are plenty of hand wash car washes in Queens.