C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else NOT like the SLS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 09:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 E 450 4 matic wagon, cadilliac CTS AWD performance ,2018 VW Tiguan SUV 2006 CLS55 030pkg modded
Here's my 2 cents , I've seen sls up close don't care for base model , saw a black series sls in black getting on I-94 "its out cold" .. Their's CLA's all over A2 nothing special to me AMG is nice . I love all the AMG models C , E, S, class. May favorite is SLR , espeically the turner modded models.. Of course the CLS original model and the 2012 model I like stylish cars "Period"
Old 08-02-2014, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E63 S
Was never a big fan of the SLS. Hood is too long and the back seems chopped.
Gull wing doors are cool, but not something I'd want to use. Hard to get in/out of and too showy for me.

Did think the roadster version was better looking.

Am sure the Black Series is also better styled.

The motor is the best part of it.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:38 AM

2014 C63
I don't mind the SLS at all, but for the money I think I would have an AMG G wagon and C BS in my garage. Utility and sport with plenty of ego emissions haha.. But if someone gave me the keys for an SLS I would not complain at all.
I almost bought a CLA AMG instead of the C63. I really love everything about the CLA45 but the price and that stupid ipad thing floating on the dash. I want to kick it off and just do without so I don't have to look at it. Once the CLA was optioned the way I wanted it was over $65k and the dealer wouldn't budge to make the sell. So instead I found a dealer that would give me some wiggle room on the last MY of the M156 which has been my dream car for years. So I am driving the C for only a few dollars more than the CLA.
If the CLA45 was priced -15% across options and base it would be a lot more attractive but the price point just makes no sense.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
The SLS is an over priced, low build quality and materials, MB sports car. The interior is like my grandmas living room and the build quality is not refined. I don't think it looks youthful and sporty UNLESS you have the BS variant which is above $220K.

I think its more of a nostalgic piece rather than a "super car".

The only car from what I think to even look at super $100k and sub $100K is the BMW M6.
You can tell that they spared no expense with that car.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:56 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
The SLS is an over priced, low build quality and materials, MB sports car. The interior is like my grandmas living room and the build quality is not refined. I don't think it looks youthful and sporty UNLESS you have the BS variant which is above $220K.

The only car from what I think to even look at super $100k and sub $100K is the BMW M6.

Wheres your grandma live? Sounds like shes a OG

M6's drop like a rock in value tho...I could get a 2010-2011 with 50-70,000km for around 50k in canada...I bet in USA they are <40k for that year ..they are insane cars don't get me wrong..I want one some day also
Plus BMW's aren't even that fast IMO (the M6 hauls tho)..after I walked a stage 2 M3 It kinda made me feel bad for M drivers ...no wonder a bunch of M4's crashed...one of the members here were right...they aren't use to all that torque

Last edited by avery.whss; 08-02-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by avery.whss

Wheres your grandma live? Sounds like shes a OG

M6's drop like a rock in value tho...I could get a 2010-2011 with 50-70,000km for around 50k in canada...I bet in USA they are <40k for that year ..they are insane cars don't get me wrong..I want one some day also
Plus BMW's aren't even that fast IMO (the M6 hauls tho)..after I walked a stage 2 M3 It kinda made me feel bad for M drivers ...no wonder a bunch of M4's crashed...one of the members here were right...they aren't use to all that torque
Love your picture that you posted....all that dark leather and shadowing, some silver accents and the interior looks a sexy and smokey as a day time soap...

Have you sat in the SLS? Have you sat in the new S? It looks like a cheap strip club with all those purple LED lights under every panel. The interior MBs have much to be desired for. The interior of the SLS still, STILL looks like its out of the 90s. Sure they add some contrasted some stitching, embossed AMG here and there and added some silver accents. IMO its holds nothing to the interior of the 2015 BMW M6. The interior of the 2015 M6 looks like its with the times. Like a jet fighter, well finished with the quality and materials an interior should be.

Now, let's get something straight. I have disliked BMWs for a while now, and swore I would never get one again. I worshiped the E36 M3, the 750 from the 90s. But for the past 10 years it has been junk.

Fast forward to the 2015 5 series, 4 series, and namely 6 series. Once I sat inside it became clear to me. Once I drove the 2015 M6, it became even clearer...

What **** boxes MBs are, namely on the inside. Don't get me wrong...I love my C63. But the M6 is where it's at.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
You can't compare an M6 to the SLS, completely different target markets. That's like saying a Porsche GT3 is a POS because the M6 has a better interior. I'd make a BMW comparison but they haven't had a track focused sports car in their lineup since America had a white president.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:58 PM

w211, w221, w220, e46
The SLS was a spiritual successor to the 300SL gullwing and a halo car for AMG.

The SLR was a collaboration between Mercedes (AMG) & McLaren like their F1 partnership. It was a unique design that took cues of the iconic Mercedes of the era. Chances of that happening again for a production car is slim as McLaren makes its own road cars now.

I'm not a huge fan of some of the things AMG (Mercedes) is doing now (i.e. four bangers, smaller displacement engines, turbocharging every engine, AWD). Don't get me wrong, I understand the benefits, but it's deviating from the true roots of AMG... The reasons that made some of us fall in love with the brand in the first place.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Jag F-Type V8
Originally Posted by -Marlin-
I've been looking at it for a while. Seen the "Black" edition up close.

I hate it.

I just can't get on board with that rounded swept back Viperesque look. I love my C63 and the E63 is cool too. Like the E350 too. Hate the G Wagon. Rather have a Defender 90... And I can't for the life of me understand the CLA. That thing is so damn ugly and awkward. I heard a CLA AMG go by the other day and it sounded like garbage. The price of it is retarded. You have to have your head checked if you're willing to spend that much money for a CLA AMG ($+50k), when you could have bought a C63 with 15-20k miles on it for the same price.

I've just never had such a love hate relationship with a brand. For me, before say 2004, Mercedes brought to mind the thought of a big expensive nice riding German box on wheels that you prayed never broken down because of the high cost of repairs.

Before AMG, I would have never touched a Merc and the way things are heading, I might never again after.

Ok, that's my rant. Anyone else not like some of the cars we are supposed to drool over?
Personally I love the SLS. And after I was driven around in it at Palm Beach International Raceway in one at the Private Lounge event, I love them even more. But, your comment and criticism is the very reason why Mercedes and AMG make a variety of cars. You get to pick which one suits you or your wallet.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W205 C43, C204 C63, & Honda Fit
I like the SLS, but am let down with its low interior quality especially the steering wheel (reminds of a 2011 C300 I had).

The SLS Black series is different, it is an amazing car and the only other car I would take over it at the moment is the Ferrari F12.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
M6...ehhhh, I don't know. At over 100k new, I can see why they lure buyers in but show poor resale. The direction that BMW is going in with all of the new models, and there are a lot of them, is interesting. But the cars are getting BIG. I passed an M6 today and it was a boat of a car. Pretty aesthetics, but a boat of a car none the less. I know the M4 is nimble, but it's big and it leaves the M3 in the dust holding the old flame in 4 door configuration only.

What's next an M3.5 to satisfy the craving in between model? M this and M that and odd and even and numbers of this series and that one.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
I hate the SLS
Old 08-03-2014, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rage2
You can't compare an M6 to the SLS, completely different target markets. That's like saying a Porsche GT3 is a POS because the M6 has a better interior. I'd make a BMW comparison but they haven't had a track focused sports car in their lineup since America had a white president.
Hahaha.....you mean the i8 is not a performance car lmao.

Yep BMW's are all crap now. BMW's M division is a joke and they do not even get specialized powerplants any longer, they just take "tuned" version of non M motors and drop them in and throw an M badge on the trunk. I just drove an M4 on a track, a nearly 7 year old CLK BS will run circles around it. Anyone on this thread that thinks BMW offers anything of substance performance wise these days is a fool or a pu$$y or both.

Last edited by jrcart; 08-03-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 298 Likes on 191 Posts
10 C six trizzle
im shocked the interior is being bagged on. The only thing i thought of that was cheap on the inside was the suede wrapped slk 171 visors. That and the fact that an upgraded stereo was an option, considering the regular one is the equivalent of a base model C.

I'll agree all the neon lighting colors in the new S are a bit of a joke, but thinking bmw interior is miles ahead is definitely a personal preference.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
I was driving around in a SLR 722 a couple months back, I wanna say it's a MY2009, so still fairly recent. No screen inside, and the radio had a cassette player.

Now that's a ****ty interior haha.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 298 Likes on 191 Posts
10 C six trizzle
I was driving around in a SLR 722 a couple months back, I wanna say it's a MY2009, so still fairly recent. No screen inside, and the radio had a cassette player.

and i bet you loved every minute of it. Sick nasty car.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
The CLA, I couldn't agree with you more. I get why they did it but the reviews are also horrible. I'd take an A3 over a CLA.

I am intrigued by the Q50 thing that's being developed with a pseudo-GTR drivetrain. I'd be interested in that. But it's not where it needs to be just yet.
Yeah, I thought basically the same thing; get the S3 for about $5-6-7,000 less and call it a day. Or an A3 Quattro if you wanna keep it in the $30-35K range. Based on size (considering how the A4 has grown), it's kinda like getting a new A3, but in essence getting the old A4 in a 2014 package.

Not to mention, Q50 Eau Rouge.........oooh! Make mine black on black. And what took y'all so long, Infiniti. People have been begging for a hi-performance G35-37/Q50 for about 10 years now.

Originally Posted by -Marlin-
Lowering the displacement of AMG engines and moving towards high heat turbos makes me nauseous.

All motor was the signature stamp of AMG. I wanna hear the barratone growl and thumping exhaust. If I wanted to hear a whine, I'd ask my wife to go with me to Bass Pro.
Aw man, pass me a barf bag, too. All BS aside, while we'll take the naturally aspirated V8s any day as first choice, did ya'll have to go all the way down to 4.0 liters, AMG? Geez! Why've you gotta be like Audi Quattro?

Having heard the 5.5TT, ah, it's not so bad. But why did ya skip past 5.0 (my choice) or 4.5??........?? That's not cool. Oh, and while I'm at it, must I remind you, AMG, of the NA 5.5 in the SLK55 AMG? With significantly better EPA gas mileage #s due to stop-start, direct injection, etc., while still getting around 420/400 HP & torque numbers?

To your credit AMG, while not an M156 sound, absent that comparison you seem to have managed to still get decent V8 sounds from the M157. Which is to say, some manufacturerers get that same sound - at best - even without turbos. Good job there.

But we're still @$&%ing pissed.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...and the Stirling Moss edition SLR doesn't even come with a windshield....talk about bad interiors lol
Old 08-04-2014, 03:06 PM

2011 C63 AW
^ok, present company not included. You have the BS. With that said, can I try it?

Please
Old 08-04-2014, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Love your picture that you posted....all that dark leather and shadowing, some silver accents and the interior looks a sexy and smokey as a day time soap...

Have you sat in the SLS? Have you sat in the new S? It looks like a cheap strip club with all those purple LED lights under every panel. The interior MBs have much to be desired for. The interior of the SLS still, STILL looks like its out of the 90s. Sure they add some contrasted some stitching, embossed AMG here and there and added some silver accents. IMO its holds nothing to the interior of the 2015 BMW M6. The interior of the 2015 M6 looks like its with the times. Like a jet fighter, well finished with the quality and materials an interior should be.

Now, let's get something straight. I have disliked BMWs for a while now, and swore I would never get one again. I worshiped the E36 M3, the 750 from the 90s. But for the past 10 years it has been junk.

Fast forward to the 2015 5 series, 4 series, and namely 6 series. Once I sat inside it became clear to me. Once I drove the 2015 M6, it became even clearer...

What **** boxes MBs are, namely on the inside. Don't get me wrong...I love my C63. But the M6 is where it's at.
have you been drinking? the m6 interior is a fugly piece of ****. And BMW is not upping the napa leather dash and door panels on the SLS.

The C63...now thats a ****ty interior for an expensive car, save the seats, which are nice.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:29 PM

2011 C63 AW
I wouldn't save the seats, atleast not for the horizontally gifted like myself. Uggghhh! If I could change one thing it would be the side boltsters. For crying out loud, LET ME BREATHE! Thank God the ride is so exhilarating because I literally have to suck in when I get in, then breathe out when I manage to pull myself out.

I know one thing's for sure. My car loves me because I get a big bear hug each and every day.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:18 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350

I guess it depends on your definition of a super car. If you are all hot and bothered by the new M6, best to revisit your definition perhaps!

I subscribe to the Richard Hammond definition of supercars. It has to have the look. It has to stand out. It has to have the performance.

You see an SLS on the road, you stare at it. People point, people give the thumbs up. I think it is a bargain compared to the Italians. Like I said, my seat time in the SLS is extensive and as a passenger I see people's faces. I see the reaction. Opening the doors is always a show to the masses. If people oogle and stare, ooh and ahh then to me that is a perfect definition of a Supercar.

But it's okay not like it. Like someone else said, MB has other cars that may fit your fancy. But to not call it a supercar...
Old 08-05-2014, 05:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507 Edition

How can you not like this?
Old 08-10-2014, 05:30 PM

2011 C63 AW
So me and my baby momma decided to go out to an obnoxiously expensive restaurant the other night. Little back story...I have a route that I take after a long day of work. It's a 30 minute drive of twisties that I have been loving since buying my monster. I pass this expensive restaurant that I have been just itching to indulge.

We went Friday and wouldn't you know, there in the wild, I spotted an SLS AMG GT. I take everything I said back. It was gorgeous. I parked my C63 next to it and as I got out, the owner came walking up. He looks at me and says "Nice car..." We have a smile, both thinking "Yeah, we have AMG's and no one else understands". My baby momma turns to me and I say "Watch the doors go up" like a giddy bad little boy on Christmas. She rolled her eyes and walked ahead. I waited to watch the gull wings get to full lock out. Heard it start up then pursued to my dining event with a hard on. Loved it!

Regretfully, I like the SLS and have treated it like a chick out of my league. Who likes big ***** anyway?..........ME!!!

Old 08-10-2014, 06:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 BS, 2011 SLS, 2014 CLS63-S
Lol, i'm glad to see your opinion changed I love that fellow AMG owners take the time to appreciate one another's rides. I get thumbs up all the time from other AMG club members, we are a great group.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone else NOT like the SLS?