Sponsored by:

Anyone else NOT like the SLS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 07:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
Anyone else NOT like the SLS?

I've been looking at it for a while. Seen the "Black" edition up close.

I hate it.

I just can't get on board with that rounded swept back Viperesque look. I love my C63 and the E63 is cool too. Like the E350 too. Hate the G Wagon. Rather have a Defender 90... And I can't for the life of me understand the CLA. That thing is so damn ugly and awkward. I heard a CLA AMG go by the other day and it sounded like garbage. The price of it is retarded. You have to have your head checked if you're willing to spend that much money for a CLA AMG ($+50k), when you could have bought a C63 with 15-20k miles on it for the same price.

I've just never had such a love hate relationship with a brand. For me, before say 2004, Mercedes brought to mind the thought of a big expensive nice riding German box on wheels that you prayed never broken down because of the high cost of repairs.

Before AMG, I would have never touched a Merc and the way things are heading, I might never again after.

Ok, that's my rant. Anyone else not like some of the cars we are supposed to drool over?

Last edited by -Marlin-; 08-01-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
OK, here goes my semi-rant.

Took a little while for me to be okay with the SLS, but it'generally fine to my eyes. Got that same Viper vibe and if not mistaken, aren't they both on a Daimler-Chrysler developed platform from that screwy marriage? Well, can live without the "high maintenance" gullwing doors, and if I ever got one, would have to get someone get the doors to open/close automatically.

I mean, can I just simply get the &#!* in and out minus all the extra motions and drama and gashes on my forehead?? And what about my girl.......not daughter - the wife?? I'm a gentleman and all that, but having to push her head down like she's cuffed and being shoved into the back of my Crown Vic unmarked cruiser is - again - too high maintenance for me. Nor do I want her with lacerations all on her pretty mug. (More on mugs later.)

Translation: I really dig the convertible and would just get that one and be done with it. Essentially a glorified soft-top long-hood SL63 AMG............and then some, of course.

Now to the CLA; AMG version, first. $50K brand new? No. If that's my price range I'd do - and did - what you suggested (CPO 2009 C63 with 20K miles on it). For the CLA AMG, would wait a year or 2 and get it in the upper 30s-40K, as AWD is what's next on my list (although preferably an E350 Wagon).

If I could only get over the CLA's generally unshapely, saggy butt. Kinda like the opposite of a lady one may describe as a Butter-Face; really attractive body...........but her face!!?? Anyway, can't seem to get used to the view from behind; unlike the CLS, it appears to swoop down just like the front. The extra touches all around the AMG model seem to make me ignore her droopy buttocks area booty, but it remains as described. Relatively unattractive. No amount of lunges or Zumba will reshape it. Hell, you could be in reverse and fool the %$@ outta me. (What's with all the 4-letter words?).

So, that's my (allegedly) semi-rant. Right, right; might've gotten a little carried away.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
I actually like the SLS. If I had that much to blow on a car would I pick the SLS? Probably not. But if the SLS were a chick, I sure as hell wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers...

The CLA, I couldn't agree with you more. I get why they did it but the reviews are also horrible. I'd take an A3 over a CLA. I think it was car and driver that said the only thing Mercedes about the CLA 250 was the badge. They called the A3 the little Audi, not the cheap Audi. What's with having to make your lineup all look the same?! That's the main reason the CLA is so ugly. I'll just keep my C63 til it blows up and then rebuild it again. Nothing inspires me from any automaker right now, especially BMW! You have to play your exhaust on the stereo? GTFO...that's some rice burner stuff right there.

I am intrigued by the Q50 thing that's being developed with a pseudo-GTR drivetrain. I'd be interested in that. But it's not where it needs to be just yet.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 BS, 2011 SLS, 2014 CLS63-S
When the SLS first came out I loved the front end and hated the rear. I felt they dropped the ball big time out back. However, as time went and I got to see more on the road, I began to love it. Then I drove it at the AMG driving academy and I was sold. The doors are a pain, but you adapt quickly and it ceases to be problem.

I do agree about the CLA though.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Agree about your AMG feelings. Never even considered the brand until they started producing the more recent models. I like to tell myself that their work in various racing series is trickling down to us more in the recent past than before. I was sold on the angled muscular shape of the C63 and handbuilt engine. And I LOVE the S65 Coupe.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
I think the SLS Black is absolutely stunning.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone else NOT like the SLS?-2014-mercedes-benz-sls-amg-black-series-back-red-yellow.jpg  
Old 08-01-2014, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by zibby43
I think the SLS Black is absolutely stunning.
No Question, that's a work of art.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:55 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
The point of a 300k car isn't practicality ..it's for status..it's a symbol of the success you've been able to achieve..no 300k car is going to be perfect..they are basically street legal race cars with a nice body to shut up the government agencys
Old 08-01-2014, 12:03 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
The doors are quite the eye catcher, if you are into that sort of thing and most people who buy these types of car, are.

It is quite easy to get in and out of, and in my opinion it strikes the perfect balance between exotic and track car. You can park it beside any exotic, and it will stick out. The impossibly long hood, the doors and the short rear end give the car a dramatic, retro look but with a sound that is one of the nicest, most fierce V8 sounds.

My brother has one so I am used to it but I still think that as an exotic, Mercedes absolutely nailed it
Old 08-01-2014, 12:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
I agree with most, the CLA - AMG or not is whack!

The CLS took a little getting used to, but I like them now, especially the AMG versions. My wife still hates them - she calls them squashed butt

I like the SLS; since day one. Mainly because it was different and daring at the time.

Nowadays, guys are adding nicely placed wings and splitter and wheels and so on which makes them look even meaner and more exotic in my opinion.

To me, NO AMG sounds sweeter than the SLS, especially the BS edition. If you ever get a chance to attend an F1 race, check out the SLS pace car as it roars by...that **** sounds pimp. Granted, Merc has implemented a special baffle to get that sound, but you too can duplicate the exhaust note if you currently own or are thinking about owning an SLS AMG

As far as pricing, well, this is where I draw the line...SLS's are pricey. Heck, for almost the same money for a clean low mileage used SLS you can buy a '14 P-car TT. And, if I were to spend ~ $380K on a car, it would not be the BS SLS, it would be the new Huracan or used Aventador.

Okay, that was my Andy Rooney moment
Old 08-01-2014, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
i love the SLS BS. hate the regular one.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:15 PM

2011 C63 AW
Ok, so admittedly, I was very apprehensive to revisit this thread. Thought I was going to be creamed by loyalists. It's actually refreshing that I read every comment and agreed with every comment. For once, it's not just me!

The hood just goes on for miles on the sls and they've overdone it on the "swept back look". Never considered the relationship and influences between Chrysler and Merc showing itself in the Viper characteristics of the SLS. That is a very analytical thought.

Now the SLS Black. Ok, my jaw dropped and I needed a saliva catch can when I saw one in person, but the price is so high, I'm out of a Mercedes at that point and contemplating a Ferrari or Lambo. That's super car cash and I just see a decked out SLS with a lot of aero packaging and grunt under that hood....should be too because I could fit a V Dub bus in there.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
and I also love the G55/63. hate the CLA, the way the body lines are, that thing looks like it is backwards.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:25 PM

'07 CLS 63 AMG
Unless it's the SLS Black, nope. The predecessor (SLR) was something special, but the SLS just doesn't have that. I can't wait till it goes away for something new - it's time.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
SLR is still one of my favorite car. It's such a beast on the track.

SLS, much like ced357 I hated the rear when it first came out. Was offered one of the first ones, and turned it down. After driving it, it's an amazing machine, and I could live with that butt. Never ended up buying one though, since kids came into the picture.

CLA looks way better in person than in photos. I have a CLS, so I'm partial to the 4 door coupe look. In fact, I like the CLA butt more than the CLS butt.

Last edited by rage2; 08-01-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by -Marlin-
Ok, so admittedly, I was very apprehensive to revisit this thread. Thought I was going to be creamed by loyalists. It's actually refreshing that I read every comment and agreed with every comment. For once, it's not just me!

The hood just goes on for miles on the sls and they've overdone it on the "swept back look". Never considered the relationship and influences between Chrysler and Merc showing itself in the Viper characteristics of the SLS. That is a very analytical thought.

Now the SLS Black. Ok, my jaw dropped and I needed a saliva catch can when I saw one in person, but the price is so high, I'm out of a Mercedes at that point and contemplating a Ferrari or Lambo. That's super car cash and I just see a decked out SLS with a lot of aero packaging and grunt under that hood....should be too because I could fit a V Dub bus in there.
The SLS Black just recently came in second for the performance car of the year.

It's not just for show, it has some serious go. It's actually more performance-oriented than some of the Ferrari and Lamborghini offerings.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
Never liked them. Would much rather spend the money on an sl63.

Except for Jcarts car....she is simply STUNNING!!!!
Old 08-01-2014, 06:29 PM

E92 M3
i drove a SLS and i honestly was more excited to drive it for the engine. I dont think they are very good looking cars.

the CLA AMG is a joke, idk how people spent top dollar for that car. Its kind of weird looking and its a 4 cylinder.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
and I also love the G55/63. hate the CLA, the way the body lines are, that thing looks like it is backwards.
Its funny, when the G55 came out, I HATED it. Thought is was the ugliest thing on wheels. After a few years to digest, I find myself really wanting one. LOL
Old 08-01-2014, 08:16 PM

2011 C63 AW
Lowering the displacement of AMG engines and moving towards high heat turbos makes me nauseous.

All motor was the signature stamp of AMG. I wanna hear the barratone growl and thumping exhaust. If I wanted to hear a whine, I'd ask my wife to go with me to Bass Pro.

The only thing I like about the CLA AMG is that it pushes me up on the totem pole, so as not to be the "entry level" AMG any longer.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:23 PM

C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
i love the SLS BS. hate the regular one.

Really? Honestly doesn't make sense to me .. Either love sls or hate ? I absolutely love all of them sls , rag top & of course BS

And another thing ? To everyone hating them.. Everything is expensive now I personally would spend 150k if I could on a preowned SLS over anything new out there? Cause if u think about it what u gonna buy ? new
911s ? Bentley gt? Older f430 ? Sls hands down for me is the ultimate show stopper and no better engine out there
Old 08-01-2014, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts
10 C six trizzle
I used to not care too much for the sls, Having driven plenty i've come to appreciate it. Is it worth the price tag well not really... like any car 100k$ sure a modded sub 100k$ will seem like a bargain and perform similarly. The thing i most like about the sls is the balance and transmission. That dct in the sls gt is fantastic. The carbon brakes work amazing, the engine is perfectly suited for this car. With stock power output there aren't any traction issues. You can really feel the weight difference compared to other mercs, and how they intended it to be tracked. My only real complaint would be leg room/seating position that anyone 6ft+ would probably agree, although at 5'10" and a fatty if positioned in a racing rather than comfort there is plenty of room. I've only seen Jrcart's b.s. sls and it's just as impressive as any other bs.

As for the cla 45, i finally got to drive one and all i can say is what a disappointment. It didnt live up to the hype at all. Sure awd is great, but it's still fwd biased. Throttle response is horrible, power output until about 5krpm is not impressive. The dct on it is the only thing i can compliment. The cla 45 should be about 45k$ loaded out, considering an optioned out version reaches 60k$ in a hurry lol, forget that.

G-wagons are an aquired taste. Go drive one, it's unique in that it's like driving a tank. It's really a german built hum-v.

I've seen the new 205 in person guys, I cant wait for the amg. They really brought the c-class up another level. Added an upper control arm - no more macpherson crap. Back seats have about 2-3" more leg room which quite substantial. Tons more aluminum, about a 200lb drop in weight. More options and a custom setting to choose eco mode on/off, transmission shift settings, suspension settings, steering settings it's pretty cool. I cant wait to see the amg to come out it's going to kick ***. Only gripe is the touch pad and audio system need alittle more tweaking.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 Diamond White C63 Coupe
Had the pleasure of riding around in a stage 2 SLS convertible for a few days, was a great time...became a huge fan
Old 08-02-2014, 01:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 C63 Sedan White on Black
I liked the A45 (despite the price tag), thought the engine and AWD are great fits for a little hatchback. Don't really understand the CLA45 as well, to me it seems just like a CLS with everything smaller . The A def have a lot more characters to it.

As for the SLS I drove one of the early models (without the adjustable damper settings) and although I was already used to the "ride comforts" of our C63s the same setting on the SLS when you sit much lower is a real pain in the butt. Yet the power and sound are simply demonic.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:37 AM

E92 M3
Originally Posted by -Marlin-
If I wanted to hear a whine, I'd ask my wife to go with me to Bass Pro.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone else NOT like the SLS?