Matte clear plastidip??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 E53 SG
Matte clear plastidip??

I've been wondering about this. Advantages over vinyl wrap - ease of removal, lower cost, ease of touch-up. Disadvantages - dust magnet (although they say waxing fixes the problem), texture not as nice as vinyl.

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum...grey-997s.html
Old 09-22-2014, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 184 Posts
C63 AMG
looks great! I would do it for ****s and giggles.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 Estate
Wow, i read that thread. That looks amazing!
I wonder house matte clear would look on a black car
Old 09-22-2014, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
One of my best friends owns a dodge dealership where the body shop offers professional dipping. He has his SRT8 dipped Army green, but will not dip his new Viper.
They swear by this stuff. They do offer the matte finishes including clear. I have witnessed these finishes and I gotta say it is pretty slick.
I personally would not do it for the sole reason that no matter what, this stuff gets in cracks and crevices and is very difficult to remove ALL of it. For the most part all areas are easy to get off, but those small nooks and crannies.... not so much.
And of you are going to do it, get it done professionally.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB
Came out great! Nice work!
Old 09-22-2014, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
I'm not so sure about your view on the advantages of dip...

One thing is clear, it is cheaper.

However, ease of removal? Vinyl is way easier and cleaner to take off. If your car isn't prepped perfectly for dip and if you don't apply it just right then it is an absolute nightmare. Even if all is perfect, still no guarantee.

As for touch ups, again, I'd argue otherwise. If you just dip over bad spots you start getting mismatched layers and textures. Vinyl just peel that section off and reapply.

Again, obviously dip is cheaper. Probably why you see Suby's and that crowd dipped and then the Euro crowd wraps. Wrapping is just so much cleaner.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 E53 SG
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG

However, ease of removal? Vinyl is way easier and cleaner to take off. If your car isn't prepped perfectly for dip and if you don't apply it just right then it is an absolute nightmare. Even if all is perfect, still no guarantee.

As for touch ups, again, I'd argue otherwise. If you just dip over bad spots you start getting mismatched layers and textures. Vinyl just peel that section off and reapply.

Again, obviously dip is cheaper. Probably why you see Suby's and that crowd dipped and then the Euro crowd wraps. Wrapping is just so much cleaner.
Good points. I think there have been issues reported by people that don't dip enough layers (need 5+ otherwise too thin to peel off). In terms of touching up, I was speaking of the clear dipping. Clear dip is probably a lot easier to match and touch up. I dunno.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
home the point
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG

How much cheaper would be my question.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by ddcha
Good points. I think there have been issues reported by people that don't dip enough layers (need 5+ otherwise too thin to peel off). In terms of touching up, I was speaking of the clear dipping. Clear dip is probably a lot easier to match and touch up. I dunno.
I still think you'll end up with some texturing issues on a redip, however, I don't know this for fact. I don't think matching is ever the issue, it just comes down to layering evenly and prepping it right. Easier said then done.

A negative that some people try to beat on is that dip adds weight to your car. Under a quick thought some people might think this is the case but really dip only adds like a pound to most cars. So that's a plus. Not sure about vinyl but I bet its very close to that.

Originally Posted by cptdaz
How much cheaper would be my question.
Assuming you have both applied professionally, and this is a big time ballpark, but you'd save $2k.

I've been quoted for wraps and it's about $3500. Judging hours and dip costs I'd say people would charge $1000-$1500 to dip your car, but that's a shot in the dark.