C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Too many ads!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 08:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Thumbs down Too many ads!

Well, I'm guessing this is probably an invitation to get banned (which I certainly don't want), but this forum is starting to look pretty spammed with ads these days. Not that I mind an occasional one here or there, and I'm sure it helps fund the forum, but about half of the posts or more are ads now. That's ridiculous. Nothing against the vendors either, but it's just a bit much now as it kind of really isn't the point of the forum(s), IMO.

If I get banned, twas nice knowing ya...
Old 10-02-2014, 08:35 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
The only other option is to have users pay for membership/access?
Old 10-02-2014, 08:38 PM

2018 AMG E63s
I'm fine with some, but this is getting ridiculous... Plus we get ads top and bottom. Again, not against ads funding the site, but maybe freely posting within the forum isn't the greatest model, IMHO
Old 10-02-2014, 08:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507 Edition
I'd just like to see some "real" deals from these folks, instead of just resurrecting the same post at the same sale (which isn't really a deal), you can go to anyone of the manufactures and get a better deal? but I just its just business....carry on
Old 10-02-2014, 08:45 PM

2018 AMG E63s
You mean... BUMP!
Old 10-02-2014, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
For one you won't get banned for posting a thread or post that disagrees with something as long as it is tasteful.
I imagine you won't even get a warning PM for this.
Second, the vendors posts don't bother me at all. I enjoy it actually so I can stay up on current mods.
But what does **** me off are the outside ads that have nothing to do with the forum and completely slow the site down! If that is what you are referring to when you say "ads" them I agree completely.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:46 PM

2018 AMG E63s
Perhaps the more new threads we generate we can then dilute the # of ad posts by sheer volume... but what the heck are we going to post about?
Old 10-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jcfay
I'm fine with some, but this is getting ridiculous... Plus we get ads top and bottom. Again, not against ads funding the site, but maybe freely posting within the forum isn't the greatest model, IMHO
I see your point, it is getting populated.
But people like $$$

I'd pay 10 bucks a year for no ads and they could still heap them on visitors til they man up and join. Lol
Old 10-02-2014, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by rickclass
I'd just like to see some "real" deals from these folks, instead of just resurrecting the same post at the same sale (which isn't really a deal), you can go to anyone of the manufactures and get a better deal? but I just its just business....carry on
This is true!
Like VFR is still bumping their original thread from introducing themselves lol.
What I think is funny is all these companies are still charging an arm and a leg for the mods. I mean come on, $4k for headers... Lol don't they know you can search AP and find them for $2500 on autoplicity now....?
I feel like being an MBWorld member would get us deals not add additional MB markup!
Old 10-02-2014, 08:50 PM

2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by Autosport7
For one you won't get banned for posting a thread or post that disagrees with something as long as it is tasteful.
I imagine you won't even get a warning PM for this.
Second, the vendors posts don't bother me at all. I enjoy it actually so I can stay up on current mods.
But what does **** me off are the outside ads that have nothing to do with the forum and completely slow the site down! If that is what you are referring to when you say "ads" them I agree completely.
I guess I'm on the other side then. I realize the site needs $ to run it, and I'm sure the banner ads top, bottom, sides, etc. are part of this and although they do slow it down I accept them since I presume they provide significant revenue. The part I've gotten a little tired of is the part you don't mind so much, with the actual forum posts or threads, which really aren't. I know we like to mod and read about mods, but it's just getting a little much IMO.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:52 PM

2018 AMG E63s
Alright, ad for ads sake: the minute this falls below the bottom sticky, bump, bump, bump it up!!!
Old 10-02-2014, 08:54 PM

2018 AMG E63s
the creepy thing is the adds know what I've bought too nowadays, at least the banner ads do. That is mildly disturbing. Guess I should stop browsing on the internet... I bought some pants the other day and I'm staring at an ad for the same damn pants! How the heck did they do that!!! (that's rhetorical, I have a pretty good idea...)
Old 10-02-2014, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jcfay
the creepy thing is the adds know what I've bought too nowadays, at least the banner ads do. That is mildly disturbing. Guess I should stop browsing on the internet... I bought some pants the other day and I'm staring at an ad for the same damn pants! How the heck did they do that!!! (that's rhetorical, I have a pretty good idea...)
This is exactly what I am talking about! I just bought a bunch of riding gear for my 4 wheeler and now all I see are the same items I already bought and others I've searched for! This is the stuff I am talking about! I don't feel like my privacy is being upheld at all, not like it ever was bit now they blatantly let you know it! Disturbing!
Old 10-02-2014, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,572 Likes on 925 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
hint hint wink wink...

Old 10-02-2014, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Dodge Viper GTC, 2014 C63 AMG (gone), 2014 GL450
That stuff is just pulled from your browser history. Use a private tab, incognito tab, etc. that don't leave history or cookies and you won't get targeted ads.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
I personally hate the forum sponsor threads that post the same crap and fake deals in EVERY subsection of the forum and bump every couple of days. Like, do vinyl wraps and cheap wheels really need to be slapping across our e-faces that much anymore.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:43 PM

2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
hint hint wink wink...
I didn't understand your post, but I will say that my browsing experience just sped up rapidly. Mucho gracias! Although I still don't really know what I'm referring to...
Old 10-02-2014, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
I kind of agree. I like seeing deals and do take advantage of them when they are DEALS.

My biggest gripe about the "ads" and by ads we mean threads started by a vendor isn't the ad itself, its the "PM FOR PRICING". Why? Why can't we just see the "special" price for everyone in the thread?

A great example of this is Eurocharged. They post their sale and they post the price, right there. No need for PM no need for anything. And unless I am mistaken, thanks to the actual deal they gave mbworld members, alot of us on here are running their tune now.

Other vendors, and I won't name names, like to bump up all their posts at once and suddenly you have three or four threads in a row for one vendor. And guess what, PM FOR PRICING.

I can understand shipping costs but there is no need for me to PM you about say, Vorsteiner parts just because I am curious about how many limbs I need to give up to get them, when I can see the price there. If I like the price I am sure then I can just PM for shipping quote.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Originally Posted by PkB2014
That stuff is just pulled from your browser history. Use a private tab, incognito tab, etc. that don't leave history or cookies and you won't get targeted ads.
Exactly. This is pulled from your cookies.
So OP either use a private tab or clean you cookies/history/temp files regularly.

Originally Posted by SaphGreyC63
I kind of agree. I like seeing deals and do take advantage of them when they are DEALS.

My biggest gripe about the "ads" and by ads we mean threads started by a vendor isn't the ad itself, its the "PM FOR PRICING". Why? Why can't we just see the "special" price for everyone in the thread?

A great example of this is Eurocharged. They post their sale and they post the price, right there. No need for PM no need for anything. And unless I am mistaken, thanks to the actual deal they gave mbworld members, alot of us on here are running their tune now.

Other vendors, and I won't name names, like to bump up all their posts at once and suddenly you have three or four threads in a row for one vendor. And guess what, PM FOR PRICING.

I can understand shipping costs but there is no need for me to PM you about say, Vorsteiner parts just because I am curious about how many limbs I need to give up to get them, when I can see the price there. If I like the price I am sure then I can just PM for shipping quote.
PM is some type of marketing technique to bait you
Old 10-02-2014, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by PkB2014
News flash - the fact that you are the recipient a targeted ad means that it's in perpetuity already...

I have software that requires me (should I choose that setting) to OK every outgoing connection. If I allow every request to connect, over the course of one hour's browsing I have never see fewer than 221 outgoing connections established. The record high ever has been 616 outgoing connections which included 41 known keystroke loggers. Welcome to the age of Google and Facebook.

Last edited by bhamg; 10-02-2014 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
BTW - Here's a privacy browser I use as a first line of defense. Surprisingly few people know about it.

https://www.epicbrowser.com/
Old 10-03-2014, 06:09 AM

2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by bhamg
News flash - the fact that you are the recipient a targeted ad means that it's in perpetuity already...

I have software that requires me (should I choose that setting) to OK every outgoing connection. If I allow every request to connect, over the course of one hour's browsing I have never see fewer than 221 outgoing connections established. The record high ever has been 616 outgoing connections which included 41 known keystroke loggers. Welcome to the age of Google and Facebook.
Thanks for the browser reference too. I like not having to enter passwords every friggin' time, and I like having the same tabs open when I re-open my browser. I'll have to see if epic supports it. I don't mind the idea of targeted ads so much (this may be stupid as I know it is big business so obviously influences people's purchasing habits), but I do mind those "threads" outlined above. IDK, I've also received a lot of helpful info from many of those vendors, but again, they're here to sell and some/many of us are here to buy. I just get tired of seeing the same sorts of threads that aren't really filled with the content that I come here for.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:11 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
why would you get banned for calmly stating an opinion?

this isn't N Korea man
Old 10-03-2014, 07:20 AM

2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by hyperion667
why would you get banned for calmly stating an opinion?

this isn't N Korea man
True. I was mostly kidding, but considering the revenue for this site is ad-based (I assume) I also believe that quite often when one is critical about $$$ things can get a bit ugly. But I guess if anyone would know, you (with 11K posts) would!
Old 10-03-2014, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
I hate how the ads render, specifically. On ipad, after the page loads and you scroll down for a few seconds to find a thread you like, the way it's timed is the ad loads just as you are most likely to click a new thread, so when you go to click it, the page shifts down now that the ad is rendered at the top, and you click the wrong thread.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Too many ads!