C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Fine tinny rattle coming from somewhere in the front left area

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 10:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
C63BS
Fine tinny rattle coming from somewhere in the front left area

Hi all, I know from searching out the forums that everyone seems to have some rattle or another, but I was wondering if anyone was able to localize a rattle similar to the one I'm having.

Mine is very fine but consistent over unever pavement and sounds to me like a thin piece of plastic vibrating against another piece of plastic. Its sort of a 'fine' sound, but consistent so it gets quite annoying!

While in the drivers seat in normal driving position, it sounds like its coming from the far end of the dash, where it meets the windshield, right where the grates are. But when I actually try to stick my head in that spot (while driving-- not easy!) it almost sounds like its actually coming from the guage cluster or the steering column.

I'm just having a hell of a time localizing the source, let alone diagnose and fix it.

Was hoping someone else had something similar and could share their experience? I'm sure I can fix any rattle, its just a matter of finding it, and I dont want to be tearing the interior apart to find it and create alot of new rattles along the way

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2014, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
possibly from the gauge cluster trim, the black plastic piece right under the dash, above the cluster lens. next time you hear it, squeeze that piece up against the dash and see if it stops.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 Estate
my cluster rattles on the motorway.
you reminded me, i have to put some foam in there.

also, ever since fitting carbon seat covers, the passenger seat belt buckle rattles on it sometimes.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Originally Posted by AMG893
my cluster rattles on the motorway. you reminded me, i have to put some foam in there. also, ever since fitting carbon seat covers, the passenger seat belt buckle rattles on it sometimes.
my buckle always rattles against the plastic seat side. I just place the buckle over the bolster to solve that problem. as for foam in the cluster, I put some Velcro circles in the gap (the soft stuff), but it is rattling again...
Old 10-10-2014, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63 p31
I sometimes find that my sunvisor in the closed position rattles. Not sure if this is what's happening OP's car.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
C63BS
Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
possibly from the gauge cluster trim, the black plastic piece right under the dash, above the cluster lens. next time you hear it, squeeze that piece up against the dash and see if it stops.
Its not from the trim, Ive tried pushing on all sides and corners of it and it makes no difference at all It does sometimes sound like its coming from inside the cluster...

Originally Posted by t4orce
I sometimes find that my sunvisor in the closed position rattles. Not sure if this is what's happening OP's car.
Wish it was my sunvisor, not there either

I know someone out there must have a similar issue, maybee they based their head in from frustration long ago
Old 10-11-2014, 04:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Slow Vehicle
Yes, I get the same ****ing rattle around there too, I've tried touching everything and can't seem to find it. I thought it would be a button, paddle, and when i pushed on the gauge cluster it made a click sound as if it needed to be pushed in.. but nothing! If anyone can find the rattle it would be great!! I did notice my power window buttons rattled with music though, and when I put my hand over it, it stops.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Sorry to flood this post as a member ask me to look at this thread and I do solved all of my noise inside my car and maybe you guys might be able to use what I found out...sorry also for the caps it is a habit when working on a architectural office.

Last edited by shotgun_banjo; 10-11-2014 at 06:46 PM.