C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ran over a ladder on highway, undertray ripped off. Part numbers needed.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 09:23 AM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
Multiple
Ran over a ladder on highway, undertray ripped off. Part numbers needed.

Hey guys,

I did search and saw a few threads but none specific to the C63. So, hoping someone can help with specific part numbers.

Was going 75 on the left lane headed to work this morning. Ran over an aluminum ladder in the middle of the lane. Didn’t have any time to react, and ran right over them. Pulled over and the plastic undertray seemed ripped. Couldn’t see any other obvious damage, but since Audi/Porsche of Nashua is next door to my dog’s daycare place, I took it there after dropping him off. They put it up on the lift and confirmed that other than the mid plastic undertray (right underneath the oil pan) getting destroyed there is no other damage. Miraculous, must be my lucky day. Very impressed with the ground clearance!

Anyway, can anyone tell me the part number of this tray? And a good place for OEM parts. I can easily screw it back on myself.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 11-22-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
17' C43 Sedan
Holy *****... glad you are doing well.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
You just need that one cover? I have one.

I two sets of those pipes that are dented too. I'd replace those, you try sell the car like that and you may not sell it. Those dents are going to disrupt exhaust flow at high engine load.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:04 AM

Multiple
Originally Posted by Merc63
You just need that one cover? I have one.

I two sets of those pipes that are dented too. I'd replace those, you try sell the car like that and you may not sell it. Those dents are going to disrupt exhaust flow at high engine load.
I am quite OK with the dent in the header pipe.

PM inbound about the plastic undertray.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
home the point
Looks like the dent is a good excuse to upgrade to a set of aftermarket headers lol.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:58 PM

Multiple
I found the part numbers on mymercedesparts.

http://mymercedesparts.com/parts/201...agramCallOut=4

Rear shield: 2045243030. $79.30
Center shield (don't think I need this piece, but I might as well): 2045202823. $85.80.

Glad to see they aren't a gazillion dollars. Phew.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:33 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 C63S coupe '09 C63, '15 Durango RT, '14 Jeep SRT8
Oh boy I remember when I ran over a ladder with my c300. Cost me almost $3000 to replace the sub frame and a few other things.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 Estate
Damn! Glad its not TOO much damage!
Old 11-05-2014, 04:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Ouch, hopefully the suspension is ok...
Old 11-05-2014, 05:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by xxaarraa
I am quite OK with the dent in the header pipe.
Really? I'm not sure I would be. I'd also get my suspension checked out and alignment as well. Considering how much of that undertray was torn off it was a pretty significant impact. But it does provide some great protection to the sump, etc., in just this sort of scenario.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:01 AM

Multiple
Originally Posted by jcfay
Really? I'm not sure I would be. I'd also get my suspension checked out and alignment as well. Considering how much of that undertray was torn off it was a pretty significant impact. But it does provide some great protection to the sump, etc., in just this sort of scenario.
Appreciate your concern guys.

Suspension was checked out at a Porsche dealership by two certified Porsche techs (who worked on my previous 911 and I trust their abilities). I am confident and convinced (as is a reputable Porsche dealership) that there is no other damage. The undertrays also do not offer any protection to the sump, their purpose is to merely minimize water, crud, snow, ice, salt and crap from the roads getting up in the engine/transmission area. If the undertray was meant for protection, it would cost more than $85. You ever held one in your hand? It is like holding a piece of cardboard, definitely not meant for sump protection.

As for header pipe - any of you guys know from experience what a header pipe does and how its performance varies? I race Ducatis and Aprilias and when race bikes go down, the header pipe is often dented, especially if you have an undertail exhaust and the header runs up under the seat. Pretty common, and it doesn't affect performance, unless it restricts flow significantly (the bumps I suffered were barely enough to restrict flow significantly). And yes, the bikes are ridden hard at redline all day and pretty serious performance bikes. Basically, I am not the type of Mercedes owner to say "ooh, there's a scratch, please replace as many parts as you can!"

Thanks a lot,

Last edited by xxaarraa; 11-05-2014 at 06:08 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 Estate
Originally Posted by jcfay
But it does provide some great protection to the sump, etc., in just this sort of scenario.
Common problem with ladders. Benz has it sorted!

Hey, i love your GIF in your sig.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 Estate
Originally Posted by xxaarraa
Appreciate your concern guys.

Suspension was checked out at a Porsche dealership by two certified Porsche techs (who worked on my previous 911 and I trust their abilities). I am confident and convinced (as is a reputable Porsche dealership) that there is no other damage. The undertrays also do not offer any protection to the sump, their purpose is to merely minimize water, crud, snow, ice, salt and crap from the roads getting up in the engine/transmission area. If the undertray was meant for protection, it would cost more than $85. You ever held one in your hand? It is like holding a piece of cardboard, definitely not meant for sump protection.

As for header pipe - any of you guys know from experience what a header pipe does and how its performance varies? I race Ducatis and Aprilias and when race bikes go down, the header pipe is often dented, especially if you have an undertail exhaust and the header runs up under the seat. Pretty common, and it doesn't affect performance, unless it restricts flow significantly (the bumps I suffered were barely enough to restrict flow significantly). And yes, the bikes are ridden hard at redline all day and pretty serious performance bikes. Basically, I am not the type of Mercedes owner to say "ooh, there's a scratch, please replace as many parts as you can!"

Thanks a lot,
Have a look in the FS section, i have an OEM exhaust FS (Mufflers gone), but the rest is there.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Hey, if the dents aren't that bad then leave 'em. If there's no impact, then no issue. But if there was an impact on performance then I'd get them replaced, obviously, but it sounds like you've got it sorted.

I was once driving behind a dude in a pickup with a brand new, stainless steel grill in the back of his rig. At about 75 mph on the highway I watched that grill take off into the air and then totally explode on the highway. Fortunately, I easily missed it. But people are leaving all sorts of god awful stuff on the roads.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Oh god. Where did that happen?