Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 184 Posts
C63 AMG
Headers installed - Dyno #'s / Review of my build progress

What's up Gents,

Winter is in full effect here in Toronto. With my beast hibernating over the winter, I wanted to take some time to review my build progress and share my findings with you all.

To get the details out of the way, here is a list of what I completed on the car this year (power / drive train wise).

All dyno runs were done on the same Dyno Dynamics machine at Eurocharged Canada.

2010 C63 - Non Performance Pack
  • Renntech Intakes + AFE Pro Dry Filters
  • Agency Power Headers (ceramic coated)
  • Agency Power Midpipes (High temp coated) + Random Technology 200 Cell high flow Cats.
  • Eisenmann Race Exhaust + Secondary cats removed.
  • OEM LSD installed aftermarket
  • Eurocharged modified V5 tune.
Baseline Dyno - 389 WHP / 353 LB TQ prior to the headers / tune. all other mods listed were already on the car.
Post Tune - 438 WHP / 383 LB TQ.
Post Headers / Mid-pipes and Retune - 465 WHP / 408 LB FT TQ.

Pre Header Install findings - The car with the intakes + Exhaust + LSD and tune was extremely quick consider it was minor bolt ons. Power delivery / sound and overall drivability was impeccable. The car behaved as it should, performed just like stock just with more power. LSD is a MUST. Bar-none, the best investment I have made in this car. With my Advan sports and LSD, I had no trouble hooking up on aggressive pulls. From a dig I no longer found my self going sideways on cool Toronto mornings. Even though the car wasn't making any more power, the LSD helped make the car feel as if more power was being made.

Post Header findings - To put it bluntly. It sounds and drives like a monster. I wanted to really spend some time with the car before posting my thoughts on the header install. I recognized the power benefits to doing this mod. But I look at the total package, I did not want to sacrifice the overall drivability of the car for the sake of "making more power". Drivability to me was; retaining stock like characteristics for power delivery, ensure noise levels were acceptable during normal cruising, no rattles or creaks in the cabin due to the excessive volume from the headers and lastly no gas fumes.

As with most big naturally aspirated engines, making a linear power band is relatively easy (why I love NA engines). I gained as you can see from the graphs below in almost every point on my power band. The power delivery is smooth and effortless. Getting to 200 KM/PH is a breeze, the car almost feel as if its pulling you at high-speed. The noise, oh the glorious noise. The Eeisenmann catback helps with the rasp of adding Long tube headers.

The stock cat-backs on our cars sound great with the factory headers. However, I find them to be extremely raspy with long tube headers. The Random Tech cats also assist with resonating some of the exhaust frequency. We figured I lost almost 10-15 WHP by running the high flow cats. To me it was a moot point, I rather keep the cars sound controlled and assist with the emissions by retaining the high flow cats. As much as I hoped for no gas fumes, I do get some. I'm used to the smell as I have had catted cars in the past. However, with the new addition to our family its a concern for me.

Its not bad by any means, but its something to consider if you are concerned about the smell. I kind of feel bad for the people behind me at drive thru's lol. Pleased to confirm no rattles inside the cabin, I am extremely pleased with the robust build quality of the car. I remember in the past I had rattles and annoying creaks in my old vehicles post header install.

In conclusion would I do it all over again? - Yeah I think I would, along with the suspension modifications I have done to the car. The car is at a place where I thoroughly enjoy driving it. It has such a split personality, There is very little drone in the car. its quiet enough for my munchkin to sleep in her car seat However, when needed its an animal.

I'm already hard at work for this winters round of mods, that illustrious 500 WHP is right around the corner. If I can get to it all motor I would be one happy guy.

Until next season my friends!

Headers installed - Dyno #'s / Review of my build progress-renntech1.jpg

Headers installed - Dyno #'s / Review of my build progress-beastasshalf.jpg

Headers installed - Dyno #'s / Review of my build progress-reso.jpg

Last edited by Kriston; 11-20-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:40 PM

Received 55 Likes on 22 Posts
2008 MB C350 4MATIC/2011 CL63 AMG/2014 C63 Coupe 507
That's awesome, congrats on the mods. Love the plate.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Thanks for sharing Kriston.
Great numbers in par with what others have seen.
I cannot imagine not driving my car for 4-5 months!! Man winter sucks up north
Old 11-20-2014, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Have you considered adding on an X-pipe to smooth out the rasp?
Old 11-20-2014, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by abcut973
Thanks for sharing Kriston.
Great numbers in par with what others have seen.
I cannot imagine not driving my car for 4-5 months!! Man winter sucks up north
Yeah Anthony it sucks putting the car away! Then again, I only put 3300 miles on this year! Guess it keeps the miles down and keeps every drive fresh and new!

Great stuff Kriston!!!! Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-20-2014, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Autosport7
Yeah Anthony it sucks putting the car away! Then again, I only put 3300 miles on this year! Guess it keeps the miles down and keeps every drive fresh and new!

Great stuff Kriston!!!! Thanks for sharing!
Looks like you're like me in doing annual 3k miles oil changes.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Hey Jeff,

I replaced the OEM mufflers with the Eisenmann race setup. The rasp is essentially gone.

The X pipe really does smoothen the sound out though.

Originally Posted by I am Jeff
Have you considered adding on an X-pipe to smooth out the rasp?
Old 11-21-2014, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 289 Posts
'10 C63
Love your car. Any videos of it with the headers on?
Old 11-21-2014, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
Love your car. Any videos of it with the headers on?
+63. I am very curios to hear how she sounds like.

I would honestly expect more than ~30whp with $3k+ header setup. Price to power gain ratio on this car is very silly.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Outstanding build. Exterior is perfect, too. Thanks for the write-up!
Old 11-22-2014, 06:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 Estate
Nice write up.
Vids to follow?
Old 11-22-2014, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
I can't seem to find my Go-Pro! I have been searching high and low for it.

Yes I will be putting up videos of the sound.

I have gained almost 100 WHP over stock not a bad gain. To be honest at 465 WHP on the street, there is not much more that I want out of the car. Its very quick. Yes more power is great. But traction issues will become a problem.

The car is very drivable, yes its louder but that can be controlled with your throttle. Normal cruising the car is totally civilized. Which is something I was hoping for.

I was more interested as to see what kind of power the individual mods made. 30 WHP is pretty damn good IMHO for a NA car. Just to reconfirm what has already been stated, Tune + Headers are the best options for "making" more power on our platform, I would like to add that LSD is the best bang for your buck ivestment. Even if your car is bone stock, the LSD helps tremendously! The next step is Forced induction, Which is something I'm not super comfortable taking on at the moment. The car sounds / feels excellent. Want to enjoy her for a few seasons before i start tinkering again.

Will try to get those videos up soon.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Kriston
I can't seem to find my Go-Pro! I have been searching high and low for it.

Yes I will be putting up videos of the sound.

I have gained almost 100 WHP over stock not a bad gain. To be honest at 465 WHP on the street, there is not much more that I want out of the car. Its very quick. Yes more power is great. But traction issues will become a problem.

The car is very drivable, yes its louder but that can be controlled with your throttle. Normal cruising the car is totally civilized. Which is something I was hoping for.

I was more interested as to see what kind of power the individual mods made. 30 WHP is pretty damn good IMHO for a NA car. Just to reconfirm what has already been stated, Tune + Headers are the best options for "making" more power on our platform, I would like to add that LSD is the best bang for your buck ivestment. Even if your car is bone stock, the LSD helps tremendously! The next step is Forced induction, Which is something I'm not super comfortable taking on at the moment. The car sounds / feels excellent. Want to enjoy her for a few seasons before i start tinkering again.

Will try to get those videos up soon.
Now that you have the power mods taken care of, you can start looking for a new set of wheels so that you can put wider tires on.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Im making my new wheels as we speak Jeff

I got your PM, I will definitely have some video's up soon.

Originally Posted by I am Jeff
Now that you have the power mods taken care of, you can start looking for a new set of wheels so that you can put wider tires on.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Here are some quick sound clips my friends.

This is all cold start, the car is garaged for the winter. First time starting her up in a few weeks.

I didn't get too crazy with it, Im a courteous neighbour

Either way, I hope you can hear how controlled the run offs are. Its not raspy at all up top (where you get that signature AMG bark) I tried very hard to maintain that sound while keeping the note deep and throaty.

Be sure to change your viewing setting to 1080P for better sound / video.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Kriston; 11-30-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Gallado Spyder / AMG C63S / Cayenne
beautiful car n mods. congratz. is that oem cf lip spoiler with top color matched? very nice!
Old 11-30-2014, 07:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Here are some quick sound clips my friends.

This is all cold start, the car is garaged for the winter. First time starting her up in a few weeks.

I didn't get too crazy with it, Im a courteous neighbour

Either way, I hope you can hear how controlled the run offs are. Its not raspy at all up top (where you get that signature AMG bark) I tried very hard to maintain that sound while keeping the note deep and throaty.

Be sure to change your viewing setting to 1080P for better sound / video.

Enjoy!

Sounds really deep and refined. My setup with longtubes sounds insanely loud on cold start with stock cat back.. To be honest almost way too loud. Those amg mufflers are like trumpets of violence lol.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by dchl21
beautiful car n mods. congratz. is that oem cf lip spoiler with top color matched? very nice!
Thanks so much, The spoiler is from Dynamic Performance (I don't think they are around now) but its very similar to OEM but with a slightly higher kick. Very similar to the BMW performance spoilers for the E90's etc. Yah I Colour matched the top and left the carbon exposed at the bottom. It matches the diffuser that way

Originally Posted by Petakii63
Sounds really deep and refined. My setup with longtubes sounds insanely loud on cold start with stock cat back.. To be honest almost way too loud. Those amg mufflers are like trumpets of violence lol.
100% agree about the Stock AMG mufflers, they are some seriously evil trumpets with long tubes. They resonate at a higher frequency compared to some of the aftermarket setups. I have had experience with the Akrapovic slip ons and my eisenmann's and they are both very toned down setups. They balance out the roar of the long tubes.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:04 PM

2010 C63 P30
Hmmm so you had 438whp with Secondary cats and your Eisenmann Race Exhaust? That is decent.

The addition of headers an tune was approx 27whp? I see. Thanks for the nice info! I think secondary cat removal would be a good mod then.

EDIT: ohhh you have HFC's too. Perhaps that could be why you only had a 27WHP gain.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
the 438 WHP Dyno, had renntech Intakes as well. The secondary Cat delete are good for 5-8 WHP gain.

You are correct about the HFC, as I mentioned earlier, we figured a 10-15 WHP loss with the HFC in place. Drop in the bucket for me. I wanted to have a balance sounding setup. Didn't feel like I needed to squeeze every thing out of it just for the sake of making more power.

I am seriously considering the Renntech throttle bodies. I loved the way my buddies E46 M3 drove with Dinan ITB's. Throttle response is on another level. lets see.

Originally Posted by AMG Boost
Hmmm so you had 438whp with Secondary cats and your Eisenmann Race Exhaust? That is decent.

The addition of headers an tune was approx 27whp? I see. Thanks for the nice info! I think secondary cat removal would be a good mod then.

EDIT: ohhh you have HFC's too. Perhaps that could be why you only had a 27WHP gain.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 352 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Nice thread Kris and thanks for keeping us up to date on your build progress. Your car sounds and looks great and performs well to by the sounds of it.

Mind if I ask what you are planning that you hope will get you to the 500WHP mark? I see Renntech TBs may be in the mix and Renntech claims 11whp for them. Improved throttle response is always nice and certainly adds to the driving experience. I will be watching with interest to see how it goes. Good luck with it.

Mine is stored for the winter and just planning a few cosmetic goodies for this winter's modding. CF mirrors, CF grill, CF interior trim and replace my CF MCD (Vath style) lip with a CF Arkym (style) lip. It is a long wait for spring here.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:05 PM

2010 C63 P30
the 438 WHP Dyno, had renntech Intakes as well. The secondary Cat delete are good for 5-8 WHP gain.

You are correct about the HFC, as I mentioned earlier, we figured a 10-15 WHP loss with the HFC in place. Drop in the bucket for me. I wanted to have a balance sounding setup. Didn't feel like I needed to squeeze every thing out of it just for the sake of making more power.

I am seriously considering the Renntech throttle bodies. I loved the way my buddies E46 M3 drove with Dinan ITB's. Throttle response is on another level. lets see.
Any sort of exhaust work for only 5-8whp is not appealing to me. Id rather leave it stock as the AMG gods intended Thanks for the info.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:19 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
C63 AMG W204
Question

Hello Kriston,

Ive order the Agency Power headers too but didnt see them live yet.

How is the quality of the headers are u happy with ?

Are there any performance difference between mbh and Agency ?
Old 12-03-2014, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Mort
Nice thread Kris and thanks for keeping us up to date on your build progress. Your car sounds and looks great and performs well to by the sounds of it.

Mind if I ask what you are planning that you hope will get you to the 500WHP mark? I see Renntech TBs may be in the mix and Renntech claims 11whp for them. Improved throttle response is always nice and certainly adds to the driving experience. I will be watching with interest to see how it goes. Good luck with it.

Mine is stored for the winter and just planning a few cosmetic goodies for this winter's modding. CF mirrors, CF grill, CF interior trim and replace my CF MCD (Vath style) lip with a CF Arkym (style) lip. It is a long wait for spring here.

Hey Mort, thanks so much. You have a busy winter ahead of you! If you are like me, we have idle hands and minds during the winter. Im constantly on the hunt for the "next" mod. As for the 500WHP goal. The throttle bodies should net around 10 WHP. There are also the options of the under-drive pulley (I haven't really looked into it yet) which claim another 10 WHP. The balance we can try to achieve from cleaning up the tune etc. The allure of the throttle bodies are on the back of my mind constantly. Its a rare mod for our cars, so not much info on them. I will continue my research see what comes up for next summer Take care my friend.

Originally Posted by Kid Dynamite
Hello Kriston,

Ive order the Agency Power headers too but didnt see them live yet.

How is the quality of the headers are u happy with ?

Are there any performance difference between mbh and Agency ?

Hi There, I have not had any experience with other headers on my car. There are a few things I looked for prior to installing the headers though. The quality of the welds on the AP headers look great. The flanges on the runners are cut very cleanly and are sturdy. In terms of power, most true long tubes for our cars will net you around the same gains. 30-40 WHP. Any decent brand LTH will work.

Originally Posted by AMG Boost
Any sort of exhaust work for only 5-8whp is not appealing to me. Id rather leave it stock as the AMG gods intended Thanks for the info.

5-8 WHP for cutting out a piece of metal is a plus to me since your secondary cats aren't monitored (no check engine light would come on) it makes sense to delete it (if you are into that sort of thing). Aside from that, a full exhaust setup should net you at-least 50 WHP over stock.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:24 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 & CLA45 AMG
Ive hit the 500rw mark but purchased my '11 with mods already on car, dealer didn't know exactly what was done other than intake, exhaust and tune. Any help would be appreciated. Won't have time to get under the car and look at the exhaust to compare to the stock pics I googled until next weekend due to work.

Posted graph in this thread, won't let me post here to?

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...p-c63-amg.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Headers installed - Dyno #'s / Review of my build progress