Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
507 SEDAN
For all you with (TRUE!!) LTH & your neighbors

So-

For all of you with a tune and, as I said, TRUE LTH, who has neighbor issues???

I have a EuroCharged tune V5 and Kleemann LTH. They are Kleemann's actual LTH, not the logs or the mids. I have the full LTH, with the 4-into-1 collectors and the pipes going back past the O2 bung right up to cat2. I do see that not many of you guys run Kleemann, but I can attest that the quality and performance are fabulous!! If anyone is in the market, especially for a sponsor here, I highly recommend Kleemann. I had mine ceramic coated as well.

Anyway with my set-up, my cold starts are absolutely awesome!!! (Forgot to say that I have a Carbonio airbox as well). To me it so wonderful to hear every morning. I absolutely love the cold start, not to mention driving my car. It is so beautiful sounding when I get on it. Everything else is stock. I left the cats, resonators, and OEM mufflers. No need to destroy the AMG sound, the LTH just boost up the OEM sound. Some of my friends who have driven behind me say that it sounds unreal!! NO cutouts or res delete. Some of you guys cars are unreal loud, too much for me.

So lately, my neighbor has been getting really upset at me. She has come over several times now to tell me that when I start my car it, "Sounds like a rocket ship taking off.(to quote exactly)" She says that it scares her and wakes her son, who is 28yrs old just for reference. It's not like I'm disturbing a baby or youngster. I do know that the cold start is loud. I have seen people out on sidewalks before jump when I start it after I have been somewhere, i.e. shopping, eating, etc.. However for her, it's becoming a problem, which in turn creates a problem for me. She has asked me if I could switch out the mufflers or change something on my car to make it less loud. YEAH RIGHT!! I have the right and am certainly not changing my car because it's loud ONCE a day. Not that I need to justify, but it's completely my right to have my car the way it is and she can suck it!! My neighbors on the other side are a deaf couple. Besides my car, how lucky is that(no disrespect to them)? We are now in this bitter battle. She now continues weekly to confront me and tries to discuss what "we" can do about the noise. I continue to tell her that nothing is going to change. I'm certainly not changing my car, AT ALL.

So, anyone else have neighbor issues? Or at least that you know of. As I said, not changing my car, but wonder how some of you guys handle it. I handle it by telling her I'm not changing it and she can suck it!!! You guys with LTH.......what's y'alls experience and hoe are your neighbors??
Old 12-27-2014, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Keep the garage door closed when you start it. Buy a Harley then she will really cry. Cant stand people like this it's loud but gone in a couple seconds.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Garage. Gotta have one. You really can't blame neighbors cause your rig is probably loud as HELL. I know I've gotten mad in the past at super loud Harleys. Yes, she doesn't have a baby to worry about but it's still just not good neighbor behavior on your part, in my opinion. Not that you have an option to get a garage if you don't have one, but I always start mine with the door closed since cold starts are the loudest, and then I tend to chill within a few blocks of home as well. When I'm elsewhere, of course, all bets are off... ;-)
Old 12-27-2014, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30
If you arent breaking any noise laws and the car can pass an inspection tell her to suck a lemon, its a loud car big freaking deal! Ive got a neighbor with a big dodge diesel truck that stock and loud and @&@&& when he goes down the alley and ive got no problem with it

I highly doubt the lady can hear it crystal clear in her house just has a bug up her &@&@&

I'd just be as respectful and polite as possible and say you arent doing anything wrong or illegal

I can atleast be sure if i got headers my neighbors wouldnt care
Old 12-27-2014, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
I was afraid my LTH was going to be too loud, but I find it to be extremely soothing to my ears. I find myself starting the car with the doors still open, just to hear the initial startup. So far, my neighbors hasn't said anything to me.

Do you have any pictures of how your Kleeman headers bolt onto the oem pipes? Are you bolting onto the resonators or cutting the pipes so t bolts to the secondaries?
Old 12-27-2014, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

507 SEDAN
PS-

I guess I should have mentioned. I HAVE A GARAGE. And at first to try and appease her, I was starting it in the garage with the door shut. Apparently, didn't make a difference. She says, "It's still WAY too loud!!"

Now, I'm back to what I normally do and don't bother starting it in the garage.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:17 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 C63 P31
next time just tell her the best thing "we" ie: She can do is move her stuff to a different house across town!!
Old 12-27-2014, 09:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R8, C63, C300
The only way to solve this issue...make it louder. This will cause her to lose her hearing
Old 12-27-2014, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 P30
Originally Posted by black lavender
The only way to solve this issue...make it louder. This will cause her to lose her hearing
Or give her a box of ear plugs and a peace offering
Old 12-27-2014, 09:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R8, C63, C300
In all seriousness,

Is she cute? Is there anything you can do to......keep her quiet? .....
Old 12-27-2014, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

507 SEDAN
Originally Posted by QuartzBlueP31
next time just tell her the best thing "we" ie: She can do is move her stuff to a different house across town!!
That's what I'd love and what she should do. Ain't no way in hell I'm changing my car.

Originally Posted by black lavender
In all seriousness,

Is she cute? Is there anything you can do to......keep her quiet? .....

No. I own a house in a neighborhood that is still changing. She has two sons, both over 25yrs old...........

and she is heinous troll. An older woman that time has never been good to. Well, she didn't even start out beautiful.

But anyone else, what have you guys done in this situation. I personally am just going about my business and living life without worrying about pissing my neighbor off once a day. The least of which it is only for a duration of about 15 seconds.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63 AMG P31

It scares the ever loving **** out of people every morning. But my parkade has awesome acoustics.

I've gotten a few complaints, but the president of my Condo board is a gear head (with a modded E55 AMG) and loves to hear it.

My fondest moment is when a lady was carrying her groceries away from her car, parked across from me, and when I started it she launched her groceries in the air and shrieked. Then shook her head at me...

Im sure if we didn't have cameras down there my tires would get slashed, or my doors keyed.

Last edited by ToXicXxX; 12-27-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Unfortunately you have a not so cool neighbor.
I would keep doing my everyday business as well. The problem can be if she complains further to the HOA or cops
One option is to have that flap controlled catback like IPE/agencypower. That allows you to quiet down the sound whenever you need and vice versa.
GL
Old 12-27-2014, 11:07 PM

2011 C63 AMG P31
Those flapper exhausts are still crazy loud. They go from crazy to absolute insanity, basically.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:41 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 C63S coupe '09 C63, '15 Durango RT, '14 Jeep SRT8
Originally Posted by ToXicXxX

It scares the ever loving **** out of people every morning. But my parkade has awesome acoustics.

I've gotten a few complaints, but the president of my Condo board is a gear head (with a modded E55 AMG) and loves to hear it.

My fondest moment is when a lady was carrying her groceries away from her car, parked across from me, and when I started it she launched her groceries in the air and shrieked. Then shook her head at me...

Im sure if we didn't have cameras down there my tires would get slashed, or my doors keyed.
You left it parked for a whole WEEK???? Shame on you lol. Can barely leave mine parked for a day before I find a reason to drive it.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:50 PM

2011 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by w204nyc
You left it parked for a whole WEEK???? Shame on you lol. Can barely leave mine parked for a day before I find a reason to drive it.
I was in Arizona!
Old 12-28-2014, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

507 SEDAN
Originally Posted by abcut973
Unfortunately you have a not so cool neighbor.
I would keep doing my everyday business as well.
Damn straight!!!! That's exactly what I'm doing and going to continue to do. Live MY life as I want and it would asinine for me to do any different. I am certainly not going to tiptoe through life and change my rights because it doesn't suit someone else. I'm just gonna keep on keeping on! And yes, I have a very not so cool neighbor.

Originally Posted by abcut973
One option is to have that flap controlled catback like IPE/agencypower. That allows you to quiet down the sound whenever you need and vice versa. GL
NEVER!!! First off, I'd absolutely never want this option and have never thought about doing it, or really cared for that option anyway. I think it's a silly mod and waste of time/money. Second and again restated, I would not change my car, or anything else about my life frankly, all because it "bothered" someone for a few seconds of an entire day.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

507 SEDAN
Originally Posted by ToXicXxX
...My fondest moment is when a lady was carrying her groceries away from her car, parked across from me, and when I started it she launched her groceries in the air and shrieked. Then shook her head at me...

I've had a few of those moments. Awesome!!! I loved it. Just chuckled and smiled huge, then drove off about my business.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:45 AM
Banned

S550 on order
Old 12-28-2014, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 507 with BS Body; 2008 SLK 55
Jordanaf,

the internet is a great thing. If you look long enough, you will find confirmation of what you want to believe, no matter what it is. So, asking the question about whether it is OK to have noisy LTHs on a C63 enthusiast forum is really not useful other than to maybe get the response you want.

Even a mild attempt at objectivity, will quickly yield the insight, that someone's right to make noise may easily get in conflict with someone else's right to peace and quiet. In such situations, a compromise is needed.
Further, all of us with long tube headers have modified the exhaust and emission management systems of what our cars were certified with. In most places that makes those cars illegal by definition.

Again, an indication that it is in the your interest to find a compromise and avoid escalation, as no good would come of it.

I, for one, start the car inside the closed garage and have thus far not gotten any complaints. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Good luck!
Old 12-28-2014, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,587 Likes on 935 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Insulate the garage (walls/door) and back in.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Wow, if you got a garage and she still complained then that's a bit bogus. I guess bottom-line is if she has any legal standing; you could find out. Hopefully not. Then you can go tell her to pound sand. Otherwise just keep your fingers crossed that she doesn't call the po-po.

On a lighter note, when I re-read this I thought of that scene in Apocalypse Now when Robert Duvall and the team and doing strafing runs in the helos over the beach, with that music. Too bad before starting your call you can't fire up some air raid siren, then blast that music, and then let your exhausts rip!!!
Old 12-28-2014, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 P30
Originally Posted by Wobble64
Jordanaf,

the internet is a great thing. If you look long enough, you will find confirmation of what you want to believe, no matter what it is. So, asking the question about whether it is OK to have noisy LTHs on a C63 enthusiast forum is really not useful other than to maybe get the response you want.

Even a mild attempt at objectivity, will quickly yield the insight, that someone's right to make noise may easily get in conflict with someone else's right to peace and quiet. In such situations, a compromise is needed.
Further, all of us with long tube headers have modified the exhaust and emission management systems of what our cars were certified with. In most places that makes those cars illegal by definition.

Again, an indication that it is in the your interest to find a compromise and avoid escalation, as no good would come of it.

I, for one, start the car inside the closed garage and have thus far not gotten any complaints. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Good luck!
I think a lot of it also is how close the houses are and position of the garages. Some houses have next to no space between them while others have a lot. Then you have townhomes that have no space.

For instance my garage is maybe 10ft from one of my neighbors windows but thankfully thats not a used bedroom
Old 12-28-2014, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by Wobble64
Jordanaf,

Good luck!
Very well said!
Why does her right to not be disturbed by your car supercede your right for your car to be LOUD?
Believe me, I love the way the 63 motor sounds and would love to be your neighbor! But surely you understand that the VAST majority of people out there would consider your car noise pollution.
I have heard it time and time again from "civilians" when a hi-po, aggressively tuned car goes by..."well that guy really wants attention".
Those of us who understand, know this is total BS....but the sad fact is that we are the minority.
The other issue you should be thinking about is that she has the law on her side, both civil and criminal. As silly as it is, by altering your own exhaust you have violated a federal law. To make matters worse, I am sure that your car violates local noise ordinances.
Things to consider, as if she decides to start getting Johny law involved, your screwed.

I hope you are able to work it out without it getting ugly, I really do!
But thumping along thinking your rights trump hers and your loud exhaust is her problem and not yours is a little one sided, insensitive and (imho) just wrong.

Good luck!
Old 12-28-2014, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 P30
Originally Posted by Worth the wait
Very well said!
Why does her right to not be disturbed by your car supercede your right for your car to be LOUD?
Believe me, I love the way the 63 motor sounds and would love to be your neighbor! But surely you understand that the VAST majority of people out there would consider your car noise pollution.
I have heard it time and time again from "civilians" when a hi-po, aggressively tuned car goes by..."well that guy really wants attention".
Those of us who understand, know this is total BS....but the sad fact is that we are the minority.
The other issue you should be thinking about is that she has the law on her side, both civil and criminal. As silly as it is, by altering your own exhaust you have violated a federal law. To make matters worse, I am sure that your car violates local noise ordinances.
Things to consider, as if she decides to start getting Johny law involved, your screwed.

I hope you are able to work it out without it getting ugly, I really do!
But thumping along thinking your rights trump hers and your loud exhaust is her problem and not yours is a little one sided, insensitive and (imho) just wrong.

Good luck!

yeah, thats why i mentioned noise laws previously.
If the volume is within the local legal range it's not an issue IMO BUT....if it is thats when you need to make sure the cops don't get involved.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: For all you with (TRUE!!) LTH & your neighbors