C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could the C63 snap as quickly as in that M4 crash ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Range Rover Sport SC
Originally Posted by zcct04
While I strongly agree that hooning and ‘kicking it out’ on the street are just f'ing stupid, I'm on the other side of the fence from most of you about use of TC. I usually turn TC fully off as soon as the car is warmed up, because the TC can be so intrusive and because I find the car easier to drive without it.

Mercfan64 said in eloquently in a prior discussion:
"I drove without traction control for 33 years. So of course I find the behavior of the car more predictable with traction control off. It always surprises me when the power is cut. Lol, I think, "Let's cross this busy highway now", the car thinks, "Let's cross half way and shut off all power because one tire's going to slip a little." Just another traction control "Oh $#1t" moment for me, give me a little one tire peel any day rather than an unpredictable power cut."

And it's not just those unexpected power-off moments - the subsequent and equally abrupt power-on can be equally unsettling. I'm far more comfortable, and feel a lot safer, with the TC fully off. There's no excuse for having a TC that's as slow and overcontrolling as the one Mercedes has provided on these cars.

These cars clearly DO have enough power to snap like the BMW did and flogging it, even with the TC on, can lead to ugly surprises. Those are best saved for someplace like an autocross where there's not much you can hurt other than your pride . . .
A couple of things to keep in mind though....30 years ago, even the high-performance sports cars of the day were only producing 200-250 HP (C4 Corvette in 1985 with the L98 had only 230 HP, for example). Even the vaunted Corvette ZR1 in 1995 had only 330 HP, with a 0-60 time of 4.4 seconds (so less powered and slower than our C63s).

Even other more affordable cars, like the Mustang GT in 1985, were only 205 HP and a 0-60 time of 6.4 seconds.

Yes, the cars were lighter in weight at the time due to fewer safety equipment requirements (1985 Mustang GT weighed 3157 lbs with 205 HP. 2015 Mustang GT weighs 3705 lbs, with 435 HP).

But we're talking about a more than 100% increase in horsepower, with a roughly 17% increase in weight.

Traction control was significantly less of a requirement in 20 and 30 year old cars with 50% less power than today.

All that being said, I agree that learning how your car handles WITHOUT TC enabled is a good skill to have. I agree with others though that driving around city streets with TC off to "learn how your car handles" and to "make you a better driver" is the wrong approach.

Learn how your car handles with TC off in a controlled, isolated environment (ie, HPDE, Skid Control school, AMG Academy, BMW Club et al)....not on city streets.

I will also admit that the AMG TC is pretty intrusive on what seem to be ordinary conditions (I can recall feeding some throttle and only after a brief moment wondering why that felt slow...and noticing the flashing TC light on my dash). And I can also recall thinking at those same times that "Huh...tires were colder than I thought....road looked clean but maybe was slicker than I thought" etc. And I simply kept going on my merry way, cognizant of the fact that either the car or the roads (or both) weren't ready for more power.

The reality is, the roads we drive on are not the swept, air-dried, patched tarmac of the race tracks of our dreams. They are roads that are driven on by people who's primary motivation is to get their kids to school, or themselves to work....they're used by city buses, transport trucks and taxis....all of which may be vehicles that are maintained in a less than meticulous manner.

Nobody in the world is as good of a driver as they think they are.

Patrick
Old 01-10-2015, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,587 Likes on 935 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
I'll tell you again, you're an idiot for kicking it out in the street.
I accept that. I also go 10kph over the limit on residential roads and 20-30kph over the limit on the hwy.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 884 Likes on 619 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
I accept that. I also go 10kph over the limit on residential roads and 20-30kph over the limit on the hwy.

Yea, going over the speeding limit is a different story. I'm usually 10-15mph over in my area. Doesn't matter much here and we all know if you go 40 in a 40 you're being more dangerous.

Cheers
Old 01-12-2015, 03:32 AM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
2012 C63 AMG, 1991 325iS. Ex: 2011 C63 P31
Originally Posted by unruin
Welcome to the benz forums where everyone who wears a helmet and drives around parking cones in an empty lot is an F1 driver.

I recently moved over from the M3post and must admit I miss it sometimes. They tend to have more relevant content and pictures. I wish the C63 platform had as many tuners as the e9x does.

Example: http://www.m3post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=302

But if you want to here why Weistec is better than * (now and until forever) you're in the right place!
Why are you even here? Go back to your old forum then
Old 01-12-2015, 11:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Range Rover Sport, 2012 C63 Coupe P31
Originally Posted by kimeran
Why are you even here? Go back to your old forum then
Big words coming from someone who didn't even buy their own car. Do your parents know that you're using their computer again?
Old 01-12-2015, 11:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
How's this for "relevant"?
Old 01-12-2015, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by jcfay
How's this for "relevant"?

Old 01-12-2015, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 793 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Just came back from the MB Winter Driving course yesterday where we had a lot of AMGs (among non-AMG MB cars) on three skid pads and an iced-over parking lot at Mosport. Just for good measure, they also had a car with all-seasons and one with summer tires (three identical E-class sedans, one with with winters and the other two as above).

After driving the living daylights out of all of them and trying to stop or correct various skids, anyone who thinks that ESP and/or winter tires are not necessary is absolutely delusional. Sure, with the ESP off you can drift until you have no more gas/rubber/ice left, but when it comes to safety and being able to maneuver, the difference between the all-seasons and winters (the car with the summers was completely undriveable) or between ESP on or off are night and day.

P.S. When it comes to the TC, it isn't about your abilitly to get moving because you're able to modulate the throttle better. It's about the systems' ability to brake an individual (usually inside rear) wheel to change the pivot point of the car's rotation once you are in a skid which it does in 1/1000th of a second. Unless you have four legs and separate brake pedals for each wheel in your vehicle and can react in the same amount of time, nothing that you as as a driver can possibly do can even remotely compete with that. End of story.

Last edited by Diabolis; 01-12-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Diabolis
Just came back from the MB Winter Driving course yesterday where we had a lot of AMGs (among non-AMG MB cars) on three skid pads and an iced-over parking lot at Mosport. Just for good measure, they also had a car with all-seasons and one with summer tires (three identical E-class sedans, one with with winters and the other two as above).

After driving the living daylights out of all of them and trying to stop or correct various skids, anyone who thinks that ESP and/or winter tires are not necessary is absolutely delusional. Sure, with the ESP off you can drift until you have no more gas/rubber/ice left, but when it comes to safety and being able to maneuver, the difference between the all-seasons and winters (the car with the summers was completely undriveable) or between ESP on or off are night and day.

P.S. When it comes to the TC, it isn't about your abilitly to get moving because you're able to modulate the throttle better. It's about the systems' ability to brake an individual (usually inside rear) wheel to change the pivot point of the car's rotation once you are in a skid which it does in 1/1000th of a second. Unless you have four legs and separate brake pedals for each wheel in your vehicle and can react in the same amount of time, nothing that you as as a driver can possibly do can even remotely compete with that. End of story.
I think we have a winner, folks. We will, however, allow Merc63 the customary 30 seconds to post his rebuttal. Aaaaand GO.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Originally Posted by Diabolis

The difference in tires is a no-brainer, but the TC comments left me with questions. The TC stops your tires from slipping when you're accelerating. Turning ESP completely off disables the TC function and prevents the ECU from cutting throttle when it senses rear tire slip. It looks like turning the ESP off also kills stability control, but the manual suggests that stability control kicks back in if you're braking. Recent autocross experiences seem to support that. Is that different from what you found on the ice?
Old 01-12-2015, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here's an interesting video, starting at the 2 minute mark, of a MBZ doing avoidance maneuvers on ice. It's tested first with ESP off and then with it on. Difference is dramatic, but the driver seems to have learned skid control at the same school as the BMW guy whose curb leaping actually started this thread.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Here's an interesting video, starting at the 2 minute mark, of a MBZ doing avoidance maneuvers on ice. It's tested first with ESP off and then with it on. Difference is dramatic, but the driver seems to have learned skid control at the same school as the BMW guy whose curb leaping actually started this thread.

How Effective is Stability Control - YouTube
The driver is Tiff Needell, former Formula One driver. He now hosts one of the most popular TV car shows - Fifth Gear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiff_Needell
Also, Tiff was driving on a solid sheet of ice, at 70 mph, with no traction control, and still managed to avoid the first two obstacles.

With ESP on, he aced the test. I don't know how he could have done much better?

Last edited by zibby43; 01-13-2015 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:52 AM

Big words coming from someone who didn't even buy their own car. Do your parents know that you're using their computer again?
Really? You trying to go with personal attacks?
I'm sorry your parents were so useless that they couldn't afford to get you a nice car
Don't hate on people that are more "privileged"
Old 01-13-2015, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
I'm sorry your parents were so useless that they couldn't afford to get you a nice car

Old 01-13-2015, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Truck, 2014 C63 AMG 507
Look at the tire tracks behind the wrecked white C63 at the end of this vid. Hooning around and it goes left into a post.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:59 PM

Seriously! I am STILL mad at my parents 13 years for buying me a new Z06 as a high school graduation gift instead of getting me that 3-year old sedan I always wanted.

You win this time, Kimeran. But I'll be back.

Last edited by unruin; 01-13-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A V8
guy makes mistake driving his car, gets castrated on every forum.

we all make mistakes, laugh at him and move on.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by zibby43
The driver is Tiff Needell, former Formula One driver. He now hosts one of the most popular TV car shows - Fifth Gear.

With ESP on, he aced the test. I don't know how he could have done much better?
Tiff Needell, huh? I need to re-prioritize my TV time and get a little more Fifth Gear exposure. It would probably be good for my health!

No argument that he aced it with the ESP on - that was impressive.

I'm not so impressed with the ESP off performance. Maybe this all happened faster than I think, but take a look at 3:12 where he is starting into a clockwise spin . . . and his front tires are being turned still further to the right. He eventually reversed the steering and started to turn into the slide, but he never turned the wheel far enough and by then it was probably way beyond salvage anyway.

Or maybe he just had one tire that was 1.5 pounds low! :-)
Old 01-13-2015, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 372 Likes on 186 Posts
C63 AMG
Tiff is an excellent driver, a great personality in the automotive world.

And Lol i see what you did there at the end hehehe.

Tiff Needell, huh? I need to re-prioritize my TV time and get a little more Fifth Gear exposure. It would probably be good for my health!

I'm not so impressed with the ESP off performance. Maybe this all happened faster than I think, but take a look at 3:12 where he is starting into a clockwise spin . . . and his front tires are being turned still further to the right. He eventually reversed the steering and started to turn into the slide, but he never turned the wheel far enough and by then it was probably way beyond salvage anyway.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,024 Likes on 1,413 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by Kriston
Tiff is an excellent driver, a great personality in the automotive world.

And Lol i see what you did there at the end hehehe.
TIFF tiff tiff!!!
Old 01-14-2015, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
I think we have a winner, folks. We will, however, allow Merc63 the customary 30 seconds to post his rebuttal. Aaaaand GO.

Hey genius, TC in your stock p31 car and my stage 3 car are two totally different worlds. I can hit 1/8th throttle in 1st gear trying to merge and it will drastically cut power come back on and cut it again leaving me sitting there with my thumb up my ***.

I don't know if you know or anyone else in this thread, since everyone seems to think TC is the greatest thing since sliced bread and you're a complete idiot for even trying to drive without it, but in reality, even if you have TC off completely and you hit the brakes hard, the system automatically comes back on.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV

Tiff is a good dude. He and Chris Harris are good buddies.

There's a great episode of Fifth Gear where he and another guy take turns driving some relatively thick bimbos around a track to see which driver can get the bimbos' heart rates higher (bimbos are wearing heart rate monitors).

I think the car Tiff used was an E9X M3. I'll try to find it.

And I see your argument re: the no ESP performance.

Well played.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:31 AM

Seriously! I am STILL mad at my parents 13 years for buying me a new Z06 as a high school graduation gift instead of getting me that 3-year old sedan I always wanted.

You win this time, Kimeran. But I'll be back.
They bought you a Z06 straight out of school?
Well I guess they didn't love you and wanted you dead, I can sorta see why
Old 01-14-2015, 03:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG - PP+
amazing thread
Old 01-14-2015, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,587 Likes on 935 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Merc63
even if you have TC off completely and you hit the brakes hard, the system automatically comes back on.
Bingo. Try it in the snow. Slam on the brakes and it kicks in.

I will continue to be an idiot and drive with TC off

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Could the C63 snap as quickly as in that M4 crash ?