C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could the C63 snap as quickly as in that M4 crash ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63
Originally Posted by Merc63
Hey genius, TC in your stock p31 car and my stage 3 car are two totally different worlds. I can hit 1/8th throttle in 1st gear trying to merge and it will drastically cut power come back on and cut it again leaving me sitting there with my thumb up my ***.

I don't know if you know or anyone else in this thread, since everyone seems to think TC is the greatest thing since sliced bread and you're a complete idiot for even trying to drive without it, but in reality, even if you have TC off completely and you hit the brakes hard, the system automatically comes back on.
+1
Old 01-14-2015, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by zcct04
The difference in tires is a no-brainer, but the TC comments left me with questions. The TC stops your tires from slipping when you're accelerating. Turning ESP completely off disables the TC function and prevents the ECU from cutting throttle when it senses rear tire slip. It looks like turning the ESP off also kills stability control, but the manual suggests that stability control kicks back in if you're braking. Recent autocross experiences seem to support that. Is that different from what you found on the ice?
We were told that the only car in the Winter Driving Academy fleet on which you could COMPLETELY disable all the electronic nannies (except ABS) was the C63. On all the other AMG & non-AMG cars, it would re-engage when you performed a full panic stop, but most certainly not on the C63 507 coupe that was used at the course.

Further inquiry by another particiapnt and a subsequent chat with one of the instructors revealed a couple of other things. Someone commented that on his old C63 - and I assume this meant pre-facelift, but that is my assumption only - the ESP would indeed re-engage after a panic stop, which the instructor confirmed and still happens on all of the other cars. However, it DOES NOT do this on the Canadian APX & 507 C63s (which BTW all came with factory LSD as standard). The factory LSD is relevant for the second tidbit of information, in that on cars that did not come equipped with one, a portion of the TC supposedly stayed active even when you turned ESP off because under power it could still slighly brake the faster spining (slipping) rear wheel to transfer some torque to the slower spinning (gripping) wheel in an attempt to achieve a "virtual" LSD effect. It wouldn't cut the throttle though, only gently brake one rear wheel to achieve a more equal torque distribution. On cars that came equipped with a factory LSD (again, all 2013+ Canadian APX & 507 cars), this is not present and the ECU will not apply the brakes. And, this may or may not be contrary to your previous TC observation, as I don't know whether you were refrerring to the engine cutting power or the ESP braking an individual wheel. It does, however, raise an interesting question about the effectiveness of an aftermarket LSD on a car that didn't come equipped with one as the ECU will still brake an individual wheel.

The ONLY situation where the ECU will interfere on the 507 we drove was if you slammed on the brakes while also pressing on the acceletator (i.e. left foot braking while you stay on the gas with your right foot), and did cut power for as long as brake pressure was applied, appaerently in order to prevent engine damage or possily accidents of the "I hit both pedals by mistake" type. This does not appear to kick in immediately though, as during some unsanctioned experimenting I was able to momentarily stab the brake with my left foot (while still under power) to transfer some of the weight on the front and there was no perceptible loss of power or drop in engine RPM. It did however kick in after maybe half a second or so.

So - the only thing the ECU woudn't let me do on the 507 we were driving was to stay both on the gas and the brake simultaneously, or disengage the ABS. Everthign else was off and stayed off until you either re-enabled ESP with the button or restarted the engine.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Hey genius, TC in your stock p31 car and my stage 3 car are two totally different worlds. I can hit 1/8th throttle in 1st gear trying to merge and it will drastically cut power come back on and cut it again leaving me sitting there with my thumb up my ***.
I don't know if you know or anyone else in this thread, since everyone seems to think TC is the greatest thing since sliced bread and you're a complete idiot for even trying to drive without it, but in reality, even if you have TC off completely and you hit the brakes hard, the system automatically comes back on.
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
Bingo. Try it in the snow. Slam on the brakes and it kicks in.
I will continue to be an idiot and drive with TC off
As I just found out, apparently that only happens on the early cars. It DOES NOT re-engage on a 2013 Canadian APX or 507. Don't know if it applies to other post-facelift or cars without the factory LSD.

Last edited by Diabolis; 01-14-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Thanks ^ that is good to know.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Range Rover Sport, 2012 C63 Coupe P31
Hey genius
Thanks ^ that is good to know.

Last edited by unruin; 01-14-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by kimeran
They bought you a Z06 straight out of school?
Well I guess they didn't love you and wanted you dead, I can sorta see why
Very classy. Yet another example of why you should be wearing a helmet right now.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 905 Likes on 635 Posts
E63S | X5
After considering everything mentioned, I'm thinking my response could use a little adjustment. After all, I do turn off the TC on the street. However, I don't intentionally get sideways with people around. However, Jason, pretty sure you and I are in the same idiot boat kicking it out a touch in corners where there really isn't anyone around.

I will say this though, TC should remain on until you understand your car. Rolling it off the showroom floor and turning it off has fail written all over it.

Didn't know if I stood on the brakes it would automatically come back on. Learned something new today, thanks.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
After considering everything mentioned, I'm thinking my response could use a little adjustment. After all, I do turn off the TC on the street. However, I don't intentionally get sideways with people around. However, Jason, pretty sure you and I are in the same idiot boat kicking it out a touch in corners where there really isn't anyone around.

I will say this though, TC should remain on until you understand your car. Rolling it off the showroom floor and turning it off has fail written all over it.

Didn't know if I stood on the brakes it would automatically come back on. Learned something new today, thanks.
My own defintion of membership for the idiot boat precludes "kicking it out a touch in corners where there really isn't anyone around". It's the presence of others and the potential of endangering others that I have an issue with.

The laws in Ontario, however, don't interprt things as liberally as I do, and the mere admission of "kicking it out a touch in corners" regardless of whether there was or wasn't anyone around IS ON ITS OWN ENOUGH TO CONVICT YOU of stunt driving, which has certainly been known to happen. There was a recent case in Toronto with a BMW driver who did just that, and I assure you (unfortunately also from personal experience) that you most certainly don't want to be charged with stunt driving, let alone convicted, which would be the case here as your statment legally constitues both self-incrimination and admission of guilt. Jason - aside from any safety concerns I and others here have raised, you also might want to rethinnk about what you post on a public forum.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,594 Likes on 938 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Diabolis
you also might want to rethinnk about what you post on a public forum.
I always leave my account logged in at internet cafe's. Could be anyone posting...
Old 01-14-2015, 02:48 PM

Traction control prevents wheel spin which is precisely why I leave it on when driving. Preventing the "oh ****" moments is more important than the extra performance I'd get with having it disabled.

Merc, if your car performs differently due to your massive hp numbers then that's a unique situation that I can't comment on. But everyone else should just remember that better drivers than you have crashed their cars and most of the time it's not just your life that's at risk. If you crash into and kill me, I'll kick your ***.

Last edited by unruin; 01-14-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
I don't crash I'm pro
Old 01-14-2015, 07:25 PM

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts
2013 C63
I don't crash I'm pro
LMFAO
Old 01-14-2015, 08:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW

Not sure what's more humiliating, the wreck or the exhaust note

BAARRRRAAAAPPPPPPPP

Last edited by -Marlin-; 01-14-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Yea TC cuts power when it detects wheel spin, and this might come at in opportune time, but its much safer than losing control of you car with wheel spin.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:54 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
Originally Posted by unruin
Seriously! I am STILL mad at my parents 13 years for buying me a new Z06 as a high school graduation gift instead of getting me that 3-year old sedan I always wanted.

You win this time, Kimeran. But I'll be back.
parents bought you a car and you're an adult

no wonder humans are being down graded to a 2nd tier species

im sorry but anyone whos parents buys them a car can't be taken seriously

as for everyone else being a cocky ***

Go look @ the badge on the back of your car

It says C

yeah..a C CLASS

Not a S-Class not a G-wagon, not a SL, not a 65

a C CLASS

Wake up and realize our AMGs are cheap as *** and not the more expensive thing on the planet

Last edited by avery.whss; 01-15-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by avery.whss

It says C

yeah..a C CLASS

a C CLASS

Wake up and realize our AMGs are cheap as *** and not the more expensive thing on the planet
I'd rather judge someone based on how they treat other people and how well they can spell.

Last edited by unruin; 01-15-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It says C

yeah..a C CLASS

a C CLASS

I am not trying to be confrontational, but I don't have the slightest clue what it is that you are trying to say here. In additon to being completely off-topic, what does your comment about the C-class badge have to do with anythign? I watered my plants today... is that also somehow relevant to anything on this forum?

Is this again about how much money you make or something along those lines? What does the price of the car or whether one bought it new, used or received as a gift have to do with anything? If it's something personal between you and unruin, please continue the fight using PMs instead. If it's about you feeling snubbed because of your earlier comments about the insignificance of having proper winter tires, you're still dead wrong, so just swallow your pride and move on. Please.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:43 PM
Banned

S550 on order
Originally Posted by Diabolis
I am not trying to be confrontational, but I don't have the slightest clue what it is that you are trying to say here. In additon to being completely off-topic, what does your comment about the C-class badge have to do with anythign? I watered my plants today... is that also somehow relevant to anything on this forum?

Is this again about how much money you make or something along those lines? What does the price of the car or whether one bought it new, used or received as a gift have to do with anything? If it's something personal between you and unruin, please continue the fight using PMs instead. If it's about you feeling snubbed because of your earlier comments about the insignificance of having proper winter tires, you're still dead wrong, so just swallow your pride and move on. Please.
no it's just hilarious when people have things bought for them and try and belittle other people by thinking their opinion is more valuable when reality is their scum humans.

I ain't trying to start ***** but i am sick and tired of people thinking because "oh mommy and daddy bought me a z06" "omg i have a degree and an education" that their opinion means anything, it doesn't mean ***** in reality and theres no need for goofs like that on the forum

this has nothing to do with winter tires, you guys took that way out of context...all i said in that thread is it's impractical to be driving a C63 in 2+ feet of snow i didn't say it was illegal

this is about dumbasses who think their valuable when they haven't accomplished jack ***** in life. The kids trying to brag about having a car bought for him, kid needs to kick bricks. We have too much of that trash around
Old 01-15-2015, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
'18 C63A Cabriolet
atleast i can afford my own AMG.
Wow. Grow up. And learn how to write so we can at least understand the crap you're saying. The difference between then and than would be a great start.

Last edited by Rock; 01-15-2015 at 05:07 PM. Reason: language
Old 01-15-2015, 12:46 PM
Banned

S550 on order
Originally Posted by HBC350
Wow. Grow up. And learn how to write so we can at least understand the crap you're saying. The difference between then and than would be a great start.
You're attacking me over 1 letter. The ***

I'm attacking someone over being a fake loser whos trying to belittle people.....This thread is about a M4, not a Z06 and some dumbass kid

And we have 5 pages of fighting about a stupid TC unit..................

Unless it's in dyno mode it's still on 10-15%

/Thread

Last edited by avery.whss; 01-15-2015 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'18 C63A Cabriolet
We have too much of that trash around

Amen to that, brother. Case in point.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'18 C63A Cabriolet
OK MOM

We're just trying to help you, sonny boy. It seems you have no idea what a complete buffoon your posts make you look like. You're just a kid with no real world experience spouting off as if you do. Get some perspective. Get a job. Work. Quit living off someone else and then come back and impart a little actual wisdom on us. We might be more receptive.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:50 PM
Banned

S550 on order
Originally Posted by HBC350
We're just trying to help you, sonny boy. It seems you have no idea what a complete buffoon your posts make you look like. You're just a kid with no real world experience spouting off as if you do. Get some perspective. Get a job. Work. Quit living off someone else and then come back and impart a little actual wisdom on us. We might be more receptive.
Supported my family since I've been 16 and still do
Employ 20 people
Started with $0

What have you done old man?
Old 01-15-2015, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'18 C63A Cabriolet
Supported my family since I've been 16 and still do
Employ 20 people
Started with $0

I'll take your word for it.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:56 PM

atleast (Capitalize the first word in every sentence. At least is two words) i (This should be a capital I) can afford my own AMG (Nice insult but a logical fallacy).

Peasant (I recommend moving this behind the acroynym AMG and changing the period to a comma).
Please see my spelling and grammar tips above. Those are for you, free of charge.

As for me, I graduated high school in 2000. I now own a RRS, a C63 and a $600k house. It's not the most amazing track record on the forum but I am proud to be able to say that I paid for it all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Could the C63 snap as quickly as in that M4 crash ?