C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could the C63 snap as quickly as in that M4 crash ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by unruin
Welcome to the benz forums where everyone who wears a helmet and drives around parking cones in an empty lot is an F1 driver.

I recently moved over from the M3post and must admit I miss it sometimes. They tend to have more relevant content and pictures. I wish the C63 platform had as many tuners as the e9x does.

Example: http://www.m3post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=302

But if you want to here why Weistec is better than * (now and until forever) you're in the right place!

He's a BMW guy, enough said.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by HBC350
Ok, now I'm getting intrigued. Having never had a desire to abuse my car at a racetrack, all of this "learn the limits of your car in a controlled environment" chatter has me thinking about getting a little instruction myself. I romped my 507 in a straight line from about 30 the other day and felt it get momentarily squirrely, and that video now has me a bit reluctant to do it again.

I'm in So Cal. What would you folks recommend as a performance driving 101 course for someone with ZERO performance driving experience? I'd prefer to drive someone else's car if possible.
AMG Academy
Old 01-09-2015, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
'18 C63A Cabriolet
I wish the C63 platform had as many tuners as the e9x does.
I'm opposite. I could not care less about tuning. In fact, being an old dealer tech and service advisor, I frown on aftermarket stuff. Right or wrong.

I just buy cars that are fast enough for me in their stock form and I try to enjoy looking at and driving them the best I can.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'18 C63A Cabriolet
Originally Posted by SaphGreyC63
AMG Academy

Is that the one out in Thermal?
Old 01-09-2015, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 793 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by SaphGreyC63
AMG Academy
+1000.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 AMG Sedan
http://www.amgacademy.com/

Also, if you bought your 507 new, you should have a free Basic Course there.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
I'm opposite. I could not care less about tuning. In fact, being an old dealer tech and service advisor, I frown on aftermarket stuff. Right or wrong.

I just buy cars that are fast enough for me in their stock form and I try to enjoy looking at and driving them the best I can.

You sir are my worst nightmare. Probably the guy who worked on my car and told me the c63 isn't a race car and my oil smelled burned... Then I asked if its not a race car why did the dealer send me out to the race track with the car after purchase? Lol.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Check the US MB website. They have the various courses and locations locations listed. In California it may be a tad more diffcult to get out on a frozen lake, but I am sure they do offer skid-pad training. I'm going to the MB one at my local track this Sunday. I can never geet enough of the slidey stuff. The C63 is an amazing car to drift.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
I used to do timed track attacks before the blower, until a Vette infront of me dropped oil on the track coming into the fastest corner of the track. Car was about 2" away from going into the rocks and hay bales. Haven't went back since, too risky in a car that has some value behind it.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Merc63
I used to do timed track attacks before the blower, until a Vette infront of me dropped oil on the track coming into the fastest corner of the track. Car was about 2" away from going into the rocks and hay bales. Haven't went back since, too risky in a car that has some value behind it.
Just go spec Miata racing. Its dirt cheap. Most Porsche guys end up there because the realization that balling up their $100K GT3 isn't such a good thing.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Range Rover Sport, 2012 C63 Coupe P31
Back in my racing days, we used to put oil on our racing slicks before hitting the track. I hold 4 world titles at Leguna Seca. Maybe you should have left your TC on.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'18 C63A Cabriolet
You sir are my worst nightmare.

If true, you sir are living right.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
If you guys havent spun the car out before you havent been driving hard enough IMO

Dont tease yourself...

Last edited by VaclavSV; 01-09-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Truck, 2014 C63 AMG 507
Ok, now I'm getting intrigued. Having never had a desire to abuse my car at a racetrack, all of this "learn the limits of your car in a controlled environment" chatter has me thinking about getting a little instruction myself. I romped my 507 in a straight line from about 30 the other day and felt it get momentarily squirrely, and that video now has me a bit reluctant to do it again.

I'm in So Cal. What would you folks recommend as a performance driving 101 course for someone with ZERO performance driving experience? I'd prefer to drive someone else's car if possible.
Disable traction control and ESP and it'll get allot more exciting ! That squirrely tail end was reigned in by the electronics.

As mentioned ... The AMG Academy. If you purchased you 507 in the last 12 months your entitled to a free seat.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'18 C63A Cabriolet
Originally Posted by odonnks
If you purchased you 507 in the last 12 months
Dang. Slightly pre-experienced.

At the AMG Academy, do you drive your own car or theirs?
Old 01-09-2015, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Back in my racing days, we used to put oil on our racing slicks before hitting the track. I hold 4 world titles at Leguna Seca. Maybe you should have left your TC on.

Oil on your tires.... Ya, now I've heard it all lol.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series

Their cars... Its okay except what Ive found is you have to push yourself as they wont be pushing you that much. So just mash it as much as you can. Also forget about turning ESP OFF as thats a big No No. I got in a lot of trouble for drifting the SLS :
Old 01-09-2015, 03:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s

Theirs. Yes, it's free but you're supposed to sign up and attend within 12 months of purchase. I'm trying to get in past the limit right now since I was unaware (hoping they'll let me attend Lime Rock in September). It'd be free for you, you get instruction and to drive a variety of AMGs that ain't yours. Can't beat that. DO IT.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'18 C63A Cabriolet
Originally Posted by jcfay
Theirs. Yes, it's free but you're supposed to sign up and attend within 12 months of purchase. I'm trying to get in past the limit right now since I was unaware (hoping they'll let me attend Lime Rock in September). It'd be free for you, you get instruction and to drive a variety of AMGs that ain't yours. Can't beat that. DO IT.

I bought my 2014 507 slightly used (6K miles) but it's still less than a year old so I'm going to see what I can get done.

UPDATE: Just talked to the original owner of my car and he says he'll sign up and we'll both attend since he bought a 507 and a GL63 on the same day almost a year ago! Very cool guy.

Last edited by HBC350; 01-09-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 AMG Sedan
I bought my 2014 507 slightly used (6K miles) but it's still less than a year old so I'm going to see what I can get done.

UPDATE: Just talked to the original owner of my car and he says he'll sign up and we'll both attend since he bought a 507 and a GL63 on the same day almost a year ago! Very cool guy.
Your original owner is a fantastic guy for doing that! Can't tell you how lucky you are for him to do that.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 884 Likes on 619 Posts
E63S | X5
If you can't control your car with TC off its too much of a car for you period. TC is a bandaid to keep you on the road.

I'm not saying TC is completely useless, but to depend on it all the time on a public road, you got problems.

I've had a couple scares on the street but that is something you learn from, you can't learn with nanny TC on all the time.

This is a perfect example of what I am saying. Guy buys m4, drives with TC on all the time, tries to show off a bit and doesnt have a clue how to correct the car as it gradual steps out on him. Practice makes perfect.
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
People who insist on leaving the TC on likely don't have any car control or track experience operating a car at its or their limit...

I've been told I'm an idiot for kicking the rear out here and there on the street. It wasn't until they came for a ride at the track that they realized how minor it actually was.
Merc -- You say it yourself. It appears as though the c63 is too much for you because you've had those scares on the street. Consider yourself lucky that those scares didn't involve killing yourself or an innocent person minding their own business, with TC on.

I 100% agree with you that this guy is blowing smoke with all his "experience." People just do dumb things and it is clear that he spent little to no time with TC off in that car. He makes every excuse but at the end of the day it's because he had no idea what he was doing in that car.

Jason -- Maybe people who insist on leaving TC on don't feel like losing it, like this guy, and having a really bad day. I'll tell you again, you're an idiot for kicking it out in the street. I'm sure a lot of us have done it, and we are all idiots for doing it. But I'm sure before you mess around you make sure your suspension is in check, tires are good to go, and have visually inspected the road to ensure you're in a safe environment to kick it out. With all that car control and track experience you have at least.

Look guys, we've all been there and done that. Bottom line is hooning around on the street is for immature and inexperienced people. Needing to scare yourself on the street to learn a lesson just goes to show the lack of care you have for other people on the road. Empty parking lot, track, whatever it is we all know where it is "right" and where it is "wrong" to mess around.

I'm not sitting here trying to be confrontational either, just simply adding my 2 cents.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
Merc -- You say it yourself. It appears as though the c63 is too much for you because you've had those scares on the street. Consider yourself lucky that those scares didn't involve killing yourself or an innocent person minding their own business, with TC on.

I 100% agree with you that this guy is blowing smoke with all his "experience." People just do dumb things and it is clear that he spent little to no time with TC off in that car. He makes every excuse but at the end of the day it's because he had no idea what he was doing in that car.

Jason -- Maybe people who insist on leaving TC on don't feel like losing it, like this guy, and having a really bad day. I'll tell you again, you're an idiot for kicking it out in the street. I'm sure a lot of us have done it, and we are all idiots for doing it. But I'm sure before you mess around you make sure your suspension is in check, tires are good to go, and have visually inspected the road to ensure you're in a safe environment to kick it out. With all that car control and track experience you have at least.

Look guys, we've all been there and done that. Bottom line is hooning around on the street is for immature and inexperienced people. Needing to scare yourself on the street to learn a lesson just goes to show the lack of care you have for other people on the road. Empty parking lot, track, whatever it is we all know where it is "right" and where it is "wrong" to mess around.

I'm not sitting here trying to be confrontational either, just simply adding my 2 cents.
Amen.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG

Well said. A perfect example is Chris Harris. Dude is a good driver. He's participated in (and won) some pretty prestigious races (in various classes of cars) as an "amateur" hot shoe.

When he is road testing cars on British B roads, you always see him leave the TC on with the suspension in its most compliant setting. He has nothing to prove on public streets. Even though this public streets are back roads. There are simply too many variables.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
While I strongly agree that hooning and ‘kicking it out’ on the street are just f'ing stupid, I'm on the other side of the fence from most of you about use of TC. I usually turn TC fully off as soon as the car is warmed up, because the TC can be so intrusive and because I find the car easier to drive without it.

Mercfan64 said in eloquently in a prior discussion:
"I drove without traction control for 33 years. So of course I find the behavior of the car more predictable with traction control off. It always surprises me when the power is cut. Lol, I think, "Let's cross this busy highway now", the car thinks, "Let's cross half way and shut off all power because one tire's going to slip a little." Just another traction control "Oh $#1t" moment for me, give me a little one tire peel any day rather than an unpredictable power cut."

And it's not just those unexpected power-off moments - the subsequent and equally abrupt power-on can be equally unsettling. I'm far more comfortable, and feel a lot safer, with the TC fully off. There's no excuse for having a TC that's as slow and overcontrolling as the one Mercedes has provided on these cars.

These cars clearly DO have enough power to snap like the BMW did and flogging it, even with the TC on, can lead to ugly surprises. Those are best saved for someplace like an autocross where there's not much you can hurt other than your pride . . .
Old 01-10-2015, 03:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Gallado Spyder / AMG C63S / Cayenne
some people would smash with TC "on". nevermind with it off

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Could the C63 snap as quickly as in that M4 crash ?