C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Driving CLA45 today

Old 02-28-2015, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Driving CLA45 today

The indy shop that I always go through randomly picked up a cla45 and my Ford needs an oil change soooooooo I'm going to drive it today. Anyone else as curious as I am as to how this little thing is? Any particular things you'd want me to look for while I'm out?

I'll report back with my thoughts on it later. Just wanted to extend the invitation to you all who had a question about how something worked/sounded/felt etc.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507
It's not too bad, but of course no C63. You will feel the turbo lag, but it isn't too bad either. I'd never buy one.....lol.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by WESLEY KAY
It's not too bad, but of course no C63. You will feel the turbo lag, but it isn't too bad either. I'd never buy one.....lol.
Definitely not driving it to buy, just curious.

I was, however, just thrown one of them life curve ***** so now trying to figure out what to do. Thinking I may need to get rid of the c63 and when I went searching to see what inventory was at this place they ended up having the CLA.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C63 coupe P31
Average mpg! Haha
Old 02-28-2015, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
Definitely not driving it to buy, just curious.

I was, however, just thrown one of them life curve ***** so now trying to figure out what to do. Thinking I may need to get rid of the c63 and when I went searching to see what inventory was at this place they ended up having the CLA.
already getting rid of the c63?

i eye'd the cla45 when i was window shopping, but for the price at the time i could get a used c63 so thats the route i took
Old 02-28-2015, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by rentzington
already getting rid of the c63?

i eye'd the cla45 when i was window shopping, but for the price at the time i could get a used c63 so thats the route i took
As mentioned, not planning on getting rid of the C. I mention a curve ball, but in reality it wont be so bad that I absolutely have to get rid of the c. I'm just curious as to how the CLA stacks up against the C63 and I am going through some serious AMG withdrawals. I haven't driven mine in 3 months now so at least I'll be behind the wheel of an AMG.

In all likelihood I'll have the c for a long long time.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 P30
As mentioned, not planning on getting rid of the C. I mention a curve ball, but in reality it wont be so bad that I absolutely have to get rid of the c. I'm just curious as to how the CLA stacks up against the C63 and I am going through some serious AMG withdrawals. I haven't driven mine in 3 months now so at least I'll be behind the wheel of an AMG.

In all likelihood I'll have the c for a long long time.
There's always the c450, greatest amg ever made
Old 02-28-2015, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5

I'd buy the bmw 550i xdrive and blow that **** out of the water.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
HA!

Kiva let us know how does it feel sound wise? lol!
Actually is it a FWD or RWD? How does it handle?
What kind of trans?
Old 03-01-2015, 01:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E class
The little 45 is getting expensive,well equipped 15's are about 63-65k
it goes like stink with a tune. i think an added 65 hp and they get about 27mpg

Last edited by Fly by night; 03-01-2015 at 01:36 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Benz will send you a free one soon if you keep this up... I considered the CLA briefly, but just couldn't justify the price point versus the C63. But that engine is an impressive piece of work. I'd certainly be curious about the interior quality and the feel of the drive. Also how much smaller on the inside it feels versus the C.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 P30
Originally Posted by jcfay
Benz will send you a free one soon if you keep this up... I considered the CLA briefly, but just couldn't justify the price point versus the C63. But that engine is an impressive piece of work. I'd certainly be curious about the interior quality and the feel of the drive. Also how much smaller on the inside it feels versus the C.

yeah, i thought about the cla45 first since it has good mpg but when you get that thing comfortably equipped its just too expensive for what it is.

haven't sat in one so that's a good point about the interior size.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 289 Posts
'10 C63
I think I would take an Evo IX over a CLA45. I hate the way the interior feels in the CLA. I feel like I am going to break knobs off and everything is made from recycled GI Joes. At least the Evo isn't trying to be something it really isn't.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:12 PM

E class
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
I think I would take an Evo IX over a CLA45. I hate the way the interior feels in the CLA. I feel like I am going to break knobs off and everything is made from recycled GI Joes. At least the Evo isn't trying to be something it really isn't.
i'd take the EVO over the C63 also for the price difference
Old 03-01-2015, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
I lost it at "recycled GI Joes"....hahaha
Old 03-01-2015, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C63 Edition 507 ||| 2014 ML350 |||| 2012 Challenger SRT8 YJ |||
I had the opportunity to drive the CLA45 at the Las Vegas AMG event last fall. It is quite capable little car and goes like stink on the track. It is a little low budget on the interior but I have never priced one out so this may be in line with the over all cost. I actually preferred the GLA45 it just seemed to drive a little better and seemed more stable but that was probably just in my head. Overall not bad but i am pretty sure that in its price range there is a lot of options for a nice ride, like I said I never priced one out so I am just guessing. Not my style personally.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
So, I have to admit, this little car did exceed my expectations. I thought I'd get in it and immediately be able to tell I was in a "budget" AMG but that wasn't the case for me. I will say I think the trim piece is a little large and the air vents are trying to look a step above but ended up reminding me of my old audi somehow.

One thing I didn't like was the visibility. Could be my size (small) and just the way I was oriented, but I went to back the car up and just wasn't really sure where I should be looking to check the sides. I didn't take it on the highway but I feel like this would be a huge player when it came to checking my blind spots. Now, the car did have all the bells and whistles with cameras and b-spot assist but I still check all over even if a car has those luxuries.

As well all know, it isn't as fast as the c63. However, this little thing does have some pep in its step. The lag someone mentioned can be noticed but it brought me back to my good ole big turbo sti days so it was sort of fun. The sound though... It is amazing what AMG can do to a 2L engine and how they can make it sound. However, the road noise going 70mph is up there so you really don't hear the shifts which is where the car shines.

Shifting in this thing felt less sloppy than the C. It responds when you tell it to shift and as you guys know sometimes you'll tell your C to downshift and it'll tell you to take a hike. Not the case here which makes me VERY optimistic for the new c63 when it comes to tranny/shifting.

As for the price, well, you can basically get a good c63 for the price of this car. These things (ones worth owning) are lower 50's and on up. That kind of money could get you in a facelift.

At the end of the day, not the car for me. However, I cannot sit here and say it didn't impress me and exceed my expectations.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
So, I have to admit, this little car did exceed my expectations. I thought I'd get in it and immediately be able to tell I was in a "budget" AMG but that wasn't the case for me. I will say I think the trim piece is a little large and the air vents are trying to look a step above but ended up reminding me of my old audi somehow.

One thing I didn't like was the visibility. Could be my size (small) and just the way I was oriented, but I went to back the car up and just wasn't really sure where I should be looking to check the sides. I didn't take it on the highway but I feel like this would be a huge player when it came to checking my blind spots. Now, the car did have all the bells and whistles with cameras and b-spot assist but I still check all over even if a car has those luxuries.

As well all know, it isn't as fast as the c63. However, this little thing does have some pep in its step. The lag someone mentioned can be noticed but it brought me back to my good ole big turbo sti days so it was sort of fun. The sound though... It is amazing what AMG can do to a 2L engine and how they can make it sound. However, the road noise going 70mph is up there so you really don't hear the shifts which is where the car shines.

Shifting in this thing felt less sloppy than the C. It responds when you tell it to shift and as you guys know sometimes you'll tell your C to downshift and it'll tell you to take a hike. Not the case here which makes me VERY optimistic for the new c63 when it comes to tranny/shifting.

As for the price, well, you can basically get a good c63 for the price of this car. These things (ones worth owning) are lower 50's and on up. That kind of money could get you in a facelift.

At the end of the day, not the car for me. However, I cannot sit here and say it didn't impress me and exceed my expectations.

I don't get it. In your one post this same car is for sale and now you say you're driving it?? What gives? You post the car as well (CLA45) with no price too?? https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ferrerid=79444

Last edited by Newzchspy; 03-01-2015 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID

The C450 could very well be as quick and fast as the CLA45.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
I don't get it. In your one post this same car is for sale and now you say you're driving it?? What gives? You post the car as well (CLA45) with no price too?? https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ferrerid=79444
The car is at an independent dealer and the owner is a good friend of mine. I just test drove it, I don't own it.

Sorry for the confusion. Call them, Mark is great to work with.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
The car is at an independent dealer and the owner is a good friend of mine. I just test drove it, I don't own it.

Sorry for the confusion. Call them, Mark is great to work with.

Price or banned. You're either trolling for someone else or violating TOS here. Just list the price, we can see the rest. Why the suspicion???
Old 03-01-2015, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Price or banned. You're either trolling for someone else or violating TOS here. Just list the price, we can see the rest. Why the suspicion???
Yeah, totalling trolling since 2012. I'm not sure what he wants for it... Again, posting for someone else, not my car.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:54 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-AMG C63S Edition 1
The C450 could very well be as quick and fast as the CLA45.
Cla 45 quoted 0-60 time 4.4 seconds. Known to do it in 4.0-4.2 seconds. Probably weighs quite a bit less then the C450. Has a DCT. AMG developed suspension etc.

C450 quoted 0-60 time 4.9 seconds. Will probably do it in 4.6-4.7 seconds. 7G tronic transmission. Some tuned parts, and some parts based of real AMG parts, but haven't been entirely developed by AMG.

Honestly it's pretty clear that the CLA 45 will be faster then the C450 stock vs stock. Tune a C450 and it might get close or become just as fast, but the CLA can also be tuned etc quite a bit.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 285 Likes on 183 Posts
10 C six trizzle
wtf is this guy talking about?

I totally agree with you purple. transmission is the best part of the car. car sounds good for a 4 cylinder but it's just a 4 in the end. If this car came loaded out at 45k$ it'd jump all over it but its about 15k$ too expensive to justify. You nailed it - It's pretty much a refined evo/sti with a benz badge on it and twice the price.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:34 PM

E class

YEP... agree with the review
50's are for used ones. 63-65k is for a new well equipped 2015 car and with a tune they are almost identical as STOCK C63 speed wise. i like the CLA but it's pretty pricey and not as refined overall as many other cars in that 63k plus range.
a used 14' in the 50k range is what i'd consider a good buy.

Last edited by Fly by night; 03-01-2015 at 10:57 PM.