C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Service Issue...Frustrating...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG, Jeep SRT8
Angry Service Issue...Frustrating...

Alright guys, my previous thread i stated that i would be getting an oil change done on my vehicle ($220) opposed to a service A ($429). I dropped it off at the dealership this morning and recieved a call around noon. Apparently the car needs a differential flush, brake fluid flush, cooling system flush, and spark plugs! I called the dealership where the car was serviced for its entire life (out of town) and provided my VIN so they could pull up it's entire history. They told me that the last service done 1 year ago was the major service B. It had included the tranny flush and it's other components. The previous owner also had the brake system flushed along with a cabin filter change during the service B. She also told me that the diff. flush is recommended at the 80k kms mark (I am at 69k kms), spark plugs are recommended at 100k kms, and the cooling system she wasn't sure of but it's also past the 100k kms. Essentially she told me that currently the car is up to date and needs nothing but the minor service A, and she wasn't sure why the current dealer was telling me this.

I called the dealership where i am currently getting it serviced and described the situation to her. She tells me that it's actually recommended 80k kms/4 years and 100k kms/4 years for diff. flush and spark plugs. She said that this is guidelines set out by MB Canada and she doesnt know about the other dealership. WTF? They're both certified MB dealerships within 3 hours of eachother...

The previous dealership was a larger dealership, and to be honest, I felt weren't trying to rob me for my dollars.

What do you guys think? Is this 4 year thing true, if so, why are these 2 dealerships giving me different answers for every service aspect? Frustrating part is that I've only had this car for a while and it already seems like these dealers have nothing better to do than rob consumers for their money.

Thanks

Last edited by jason7; 03-10-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:51 PM

Also, vehicle is a 2010 C63.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Honestly, if it were my car and everything was running smoothly, I'd just do the oil change and tell them I'll see them at 80/100k.

Now, I'm not saying I sit here and wait for problems to arise, but 11k miles is a year+ driving for me. They can't argue when you say you'd like to stick with regular intervals.

If money is tight don't feel pressed to pull the trigger on all of that, however, if you have some pennies laying around it also wouldn't hurt. Either way, the decision is yours, but do the oil for sure if that service is due. Sounds like they're just trying to get some guy in an AMG to pony up a few bucks for services not needed yet.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
Honestly, if it were my car and everything was running smoothly, I'd just do the oil change and tell them I'll see them at 80/100k.

Now, I'm not saying I sit here and wait for problems to arise, but 11k miles is a year+ driving for me. They can't argue when you say you'd like to stick with regular intervals.

If money is tight don't feel pressed to pull the trigger on all of that, however, if you have some pennies laying around it also wouldn't hurt. Either way, the decision is yours, but do the oil for sure if that service is due. Sounds like they're just trying to get some guy in an AMG to pony up a few bucks for services not needed yet.
Yeah, i already told them I'd be doing just the oil change. I doubt i will drive this car over the 80k mark till my next service, but if i do, i will go with the flush. The previous dealership that performed the services, said that the car has been maintained very well and everything was done on or before schedule. Currently it only needs a service A. Very annoyed at this current dealership i am at. I had already heard of horrible reviews against them, and i doubt i will be taking my vehicle there again.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
lol! Welcome to the MB tax world!!
They probably thought you were uneducated on the subject
Old 03-10-2015, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Honestly, most of that you can do yourself. Brake flush is easy, with a $50 pressure pump and some time. Tranny flush is also easy, but a little more tricky if you don't have software to monitor the temps of teh fluid during the process (laser thermometer might work, but I find those not very accurate)

Diff, never done it, I don't have one, but I cannot imagine it is harder than an oil change.

Coolant, never done that either. That might actually be tricky to make sure you don't introduce air into the lines.

Spark plugs, also easy (except for cylinder 8 I think, close to the firewall, need a few angle adapters to get that plug out).

For me, it's not just about saving money (although it helps, I got the car long before I had my 2.5 year old so money is tight), but I also enjoy wrenching, it is relaxing. And if you can follow instructions, not that hard.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
Honestly, most of that you can do yourself. Brake flush is easy, with a $50 pressure pump and some time. Tranny flush is also easy, but a little more tricky if you don't have software to monitor the temps of teh fluid during the process (laser thermometer might work, but I find those not very accurate)

Diff, never done it, I don't have one, but I cannot imagine it is harder than an oil change.

Coolant, never done that either. That might actually be tricky to make sure you don't introduce air into the lines.

Spark plugs, also easy (except for cylinder 8 I think, close to the firewall, need a few angle adapters to get that plug out).

For me, it's not just about saving money (although it helps, I got the car long before I had my 2.5 year old so money is tight), but I also enjoy wrenching, it is relaxing. And if you can follow instructions, not that hard.
Yeah it's not all about the money - although that is certainly the main contributing factor, its also that these 2 dealerships are both giving me different information, and I'm not even sure if this service that i "require" is really necessary at my current mileage . I think i am just going to give MB Canada a call and find out for myself.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Obsidian Black 2009 C63 w/ P30 Package
Sounds like two people giving you directions to somewhere talking in your ear. You just need to tell one of them to shut up and listen to the one you trust the most.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:39 PM
zsh

2015 C 220 CDI
Funny, just had my C63 at service here in Sweden. Car passed just about 22500km and it just turned 3 years old. Info at the display pop-ed up and it said time for service A0.
Talked to the dealer and scheduled an appointment and they informed me that its a simple service including basically engine oil/filter change and air filter.
Rest of the service points they could see when car is connected to their system to read out some "codes".

Initially this simple service was estimated to cost 600 USD. Bit steep I thought considering whats to be done, but since I need my warranty in tact, they got to do the job.
After few hours with the car they called and informed me that every 3 years its time to change oil in differential as well as transmission, which wasn't done previously on my car.

They did it....grand total 1300 USD.

This was done at authorized MB and AMG center.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by zsh
Funny, just had my C63 at service here in Sweden. Car passed just about 22500km and it just turned 3 years old. Info at the display pop-ed up and it said time for service A0.
Talked to the dealer and scheduled an appointment and they informed me that its a simple service including basically engine oil/filter change and air filter.
Rest of the service points they could see when car is connected to their system to read out some "codes".

Initially this simple service was estimated to cost 600 USD. Bit steep I thought considering whats to be done, but since I need my warranty in tact, they got to do the job.
After few hours with the car they called and informed me that every 3 years its time to change oil in differential as well as transmission, which wasn't done previously on my car.

They did it....grand total 1300 USD.

This was done at authorized MB and AMG center.
Seems to be a common trend then between dealerships. Told them to just do the oil change and leave the car alone. I'll probably just do the service reminder reset on my own and follow maintenance intervals set out by MB AMG.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
This and that.
Just to give you an idea a local dealer quoted $659.95 for JUST the transmission flush. A good, well recommended independent shop quoted me $1000 for the transmission flush, oil and filter change, air filter change, dust filter, all inspections required under Section B.

The local dealer is $849.95 for Just the service B which includes oil change, dust filter change, air filter change. The independent is including all that PLUS transmission change ($659.95 at local dealer) for a $1000. It may need other things I guess but they will look at things like cooling flush system, brake fluid, differential fluid etc to see if it needs to be changed or not unlike the dealer who says change ever 4 yrs, 2 yrs and 20,000 km's respectively. Plus the independent will do all inspections like brakes and advice if I need to do anything else I guess etc.

Needless to say, you can guess who I'd be taking my car to.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
It's a dealer, they are scammers, what did you expect.

Follow the guidelines in your owners manual, not what some retard they hired to run a desk tells you.

Id rather get my oil changed at jiffy lube than the dealer.

Was this at webber?
Old 03-10-2015, 06:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
yup, you should have a service manual with the car that has the recommended work and at what intervals. Don't rely on anyone to tell you when, just follow the book (it's on line if you don't have it).
Old 03-10-2015, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
the service manual does go by time and mileage which ever comes first. spark plugs are 5yrs/ 68,000 miles , coolant is like 10yrs/150,000 miles, brake flush every 2 years regardless of mileage. rear diff is every 40,000 miles after the first at 2,000 miles.

The coolant flush is the only thing i feel they are robbing you on. If your brake fluid looks dirty then it is time to flush it. I always recommend doing spark plugs early as towards the service interval, they can cause misfire problems if the vehicle is driven harder. If you get misfire problem - check engine light you'll end up paying for diagnosis time on top of the spark plug replacement.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A V8
lol.. dealers.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
Originally Posted by solekeeper
lol.. stealers.
^^ corrected

I've stop going to the stealership long ago, I found a good local indy shop who can performs the job as well as them for half the cost... and my indy shop is lowered cars friendly unlike the stelars.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
the service manual does go by time and mileage which ever comes first. spark plugs are 5yrs/ 68,000 miles , coolant is like 10yrs/150,000 miles, brake flush every 2 years regardless of mileage. rear diff is every 40,000 miles after the first at 2,000 miles.

The coolant flush is the only thing i feel they are robbing you on. If your brake fluid looks dirty then it is time to flush it. I always recommend doing spark plugs early as towards the service interval, they can cause misfire problems if the vehicle is driven harder. If you get misfire problem - check engine light you'll end up paying for diagnosis time on top of the spark plug replacement.
I think I'm going to hold off until my next service...5 yrs/ 68k miles lol, my car is about 15k miles off the mileage and it's just reached the 5 year mark. Rear diff the tech told me is at 50k miles, and i am still about 8k away from that too. Brake flush was done 1 year ago, and since then the vehicle has been driven about 6k miles.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Merc63
It's a dealer, they are scammers, what did you expect.

Follow the guidelines in your owners manual, not what some retard they hired to run a desk tells you.

Id rather get my oil changed at jiffy lube than the dealer.

Was this at webber?
Yes...This was at weber. How'd ya guess?
Old 03-11-2015, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jason7
Yes...This was at weber. How'd ya guess?
I've been around the block, a few times
Old 03-11-2015, 09:45 PM

Ford Truck, 2014 C63 AMG 507
Many of us are fully capable of performing most of the service tasks. I look at these as an opportunity to purchase tools I might not already have.

I've been a gearhead for 35 yrs and can't see paying for something I can do in my own garage and enjoy doing it.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
This and that.
David Morris isn't much better either...
Old 03-12-2015, 02:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL450, 2013 Lexus GS350 F-Sport
+1

Find a local independent Benz mechanic and build a strong relationship. Ask him a lot of dumb, newbie questions on how to save money and what costly repairs to expect in the near future.

If his reality checks spook you, I'd recommend you sell the car and buy a Lexus.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
I have a great mb tech for side jobs if u guys want in this area. Pm me
Old 03-12-2015, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by islandbeef
+1

Find a local independent Benz mechanic and build a strong relationship. Ask him a lot of dumb, newbie questions on how to save money and what costly repairs to expect in the near future.

If his reality checks spook you, I'd recommend you sell the car and buy a Lexus.
I see you've already made the switch
Old 03-12-2015, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Merc63
I have a great mb tech for side jobs if u guys want in this area. Pm me
Which one? I'd be interested. As of now I would probably give World Class Auto a try but I'm curious as to which one you are referring to.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Service Issue...Frustrating...