C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Mercedes dealership always suggesting add-ons?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 05:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R8, C63, C300
Mercedes dealership always suggesting add-ons?

My C63 is in service for a simple oil change.

I just got a call from the service department suggesting I add on a bunch of stuff to get fixed...

....$250
....$150
....$180
....$250

Basically the service adviser suggest almost $1000 worth of add-ons to be completed...

Are they required to do this? for the sales aspect?
Old 04-08-2015, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 430 Likes on 353 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Just doing their job from their employer's perspective, digging for business. They should not be recommending anything that is not a recommended service by MB. A bird in the hand.....
Old 04-08-2015, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
It would help to know what those $ represent above?

If it was "a bunch of stuff to get fixed", maybe they're just helping you out by telling you?
Old 04-08-2015, 08:56 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 C63S coupe '09 C63, '15 Durango RT, '14 Jeep SRT8
They're not helping you out. They work for the company, any money they bring in is beneficial to the company as well as themselves for bonuses and promotions. **** what they recommend. They recommend I pay $6,000 for a new exhaust because I'm catless and its too loud.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Truck, 2014 C63 AMG 507
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
It would help to know what those $ represent above?

If it was "a bunch of stuff to get fixed", maybe they're just helping you out by telling you?

I agree. What are they wanting to do for those amounts?
Old 04-09-2015, 03:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by w204nyc
They're not helping you out. They work for the company, any money they bring in is beneficial to the company as well as themselves for bonuses and promotions. **** what they recommend. They recommend I pay $6,000 for a new exhaust because I'm catless and its too loud.

And you know this how? Maybe his brakes are worn, it's been two years since he had a brake fluid flush and his battery is weak. Let's not jump to any conclusions before we know what the charges are for. If they offered to "wash his rotors" like a dealership did to someone in Quebec, then sure, I'll be the first to scream bloody murder - but let's hold off with the "it's all BS and they just want to rape you" until we know what it is they are recommending.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:57 AM

R8, C63, C300
Originally Posted by odonnks
I agree. What are they wanting to do for those amounts?
Brake Fluid Flush
Air Filters
Wiper Blades

just seemed like maintenance stuff?
Old 04-09-2015, 07:05 AM

Ford Truck, 2014 C63 AMG 507
Wash his Rotors ?? I wonder if anyone ever agreed to that.

Air filters and wiper blades are simple and can be done by most owners.
The MY14 maintenance schedule does recommend a brake fluid replacement at 20,000 miles or 2 yrs.

Now, I've driven many vehicles to 200,000 plus miles and have never flushed their brake system. Regarding the C63 I might argue that the need to flush the brake fluid would be dependent on how spirited the car has been driven which in turn could heat the brakes higher than normal.

When the time comes, if I still have the car I'll probably have it done or do it myself with a Mityvac vacuum bleeder.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by black lavender
Brake Fluid Flush
Air Filters
Wiper Blades

just seemed like maintenance stuff?

Most people can't just do "maintenance stuff". He was doing you a favor by inspecting the car and letting you know what it needed.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:03 PM

2012 c63 P31
Most people can't just do "maintenance stuff". He was doing you a favor by inspecting the car and letting you know what it needed.
Agree and disagree. I had a short stint working in a service department. Never knew that every advisor and every mechanic were 100% commissioned. On one hand it's good that they make aggressive recommendations because that keeps you aware that service should be done. On the other they often sell you stuff you don't need and sometimes even stuff you've already had done.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:55 PM

R8, C63, C300
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Most of the stuff I can do myself. I think I'll get the brake fluid flushed though.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:24 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
i just had a brake fluid flush and it was $70 or $75 ..$250 seems a bit steep
Old 04-09-2015, 02:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 C63

Most of the stuff I can do myself. I think I'll get the brake fluid flushed though.
+1
Old 04-09-2015, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by odonnks
Wash his Rotors ?? I wonder if anyone ever agreed to that.

Air filters and wiper blades are simple and can be done by most owners.
The MY14 maintenance schedule does recommend a brake fluid replacement at 20,000 miles or 2 yrs.

Now, I've driven many vehicles to 200,000 plus miles and have never flushed their brake system. Regarding the C63 I might argue that the need to flush the brake fluid would be dependent on how spirited the car has been driven which in turn could heat the brakes higher than normal.

When the time comes, if I still have the car I'll probably have it done or do it myself with a Mityvac vacuum bleeder.

The "brake cleaning service" (not just rotors - my bad) was posted in the X204 GLK forum here: https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...ng-brakes.html

The C63 requires a brake fluid flush every 2 years. It has nothing to do with the mileage - it has to do with the fact that brake fluid is hygroscopic and the brake fluid boling point deceases over time as it absorbs moisture from the air. When the fluid boils, you completley lose the brakes (as in the pedal sinks to the floor and you don't even slow down) which is the last thing that you want to happen during a spitited drive or a panic stop. I would strongly suggest you don't skip this particular bit of maintenence. If you air filters are dirty, you just lose some performance; if you boil your brake fluid, you can easily lose your life. It's precisely the reason why most car clubs require that you've had a flush no more than three months' prior to the HPDE event.

The first and only time it happened on my car, it was on a track before a 90 km/h corner (coming down from about 220 km/h) when the pedal sank to the floor. I was very fortunate that the runoff behind it was very long and mostly flat, and that in addition to some cosmetic front end damage to the splitter and a few bent suspension bits from bouncing all over the gopher holes in the grassy soil at insane speeds I made it out OK suffering only from a serious case of "Holy mother of G-D this was close" panic and soiled underwear. Ever since then I do mine every two or three HPDE weekends on the track car, and once every year on all of the street vehicles (including the C63, the GLK and the rest of the P-car fleet).

Incidentally, it turns out that the OEM MB DOT4 brake fluid is among the best availabe on the market - it has better dry and wet boiling point than the ATE stuff (same as the Motul) but is less hygroscopic than all of them. I know of several professional racers that are runnign it, as well as half the field in the regional SOLO II class and BMW and PCA clubs. Just sayin' - it's actually very good stuff.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Old 04-09-2015, 03:34 PM

R8, C63, C300
Originally Posted by avery.whss
At a Mercedes dealership? Everything they listed was easily over $100...
Old 04-09-2015, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had the delership do it when my car was in for B1 service in February. The labour was about $100 and the fluid about $25 CAD. Mind you - the car was already on the hoist and the wheels already off, which likely isn't the case with the OP's car if he only brought it in for an oil change (some of them just siphon the oil out instead of properly draining it).
Old 04-09-2015, 03:46 PM

R8, C63, C300
Originally Posted by Diabolis
I had the delership do it when my car was in for B1 service in February. The labour was about $100 and the fluid about $25 CAD. Mind you - the car was already on the hoist and the wheels already off, which likely isn't the case with the OP's car if he only brought it in for an oil change (some of them just siphon the oil out instead of properly draining it).
My car has been at the dealership for a week...
First it was in the body shop to get body damage repaired. I asked to get an oil change done since it was there. Then they called me with "the list"
This is the second day I've been trying to reach the SA to respond on what to do. She doesn't answer her phone...
Old 04-10-2015, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
did you get factory benz brake fluid, a mercedes loan car and free carwash too?

I don't think enough people understand it's not all about rape at dealerships. The point of a service isnt to get your oil change. It's about preventative maintenance. To prevent your car from breaking down on you and looking it over. Who best to look it over than the people who see the broken ones on a regular basis? Sure mechanics have a bad name in general, sure your independent shop that does everything for half the price is cheaper, but an unknown secret is that most independent shops end up sending their problem cars that they cant fix to the dealership to get fixed. Then proceed to pass an even further marked up price from what the dealer charged to fix it, on top of what they already charged for their failed repair attempts. Just keep in mind crooks are everywhere and there are still some good people out there not just trying to screw you out of every dollar. Also keep in mind just because you think youre saving money doesnt mean you are.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:21 PM
Banned

S550 on order
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi

I don't think enough people understand it's not all about rape at dealerships. The point of a service isnt to get your oil change. It's about preventative maintenance. To prevent your car from breaking down on you and looking it over. Who best to look it over than the people who see the broken ones on a regular basis? Sure mechanics have a bad name in general, sure your independent shop that does everything for half the price is cheaper, but an unknown secret is that most independent shops end up sending their problem cars that they cant fix to the dealership to get fixed. Then proceed to pass an even further marked up price from what the dealer charged to fix it, on top of what they already charged for their failed repair attempts. Just keep in mind crooks are everywhere and there are still some good people out there not just trying to screw you out of every dollar. Also keep in mind just because you think youre saving money doesnt mean you are.
i personally never get a loaner..no need, but they do full fare taxi me home and back..+ i get a 20% "smart discount" - have for about a year now and one of my family members just started working there so i get a family discount also now

after i had a 3rd party shop some how take a massive chunk out of my rim because they some how hit a "brick wall" then took a polishing tool too the rim which caused more damage.. I can't trust them

if the MB dealer you goto is slacking, call them out, or better yet, find out who runs it and speak to them, each dealer is judged every year i'm pretty sure, i always get surveys from my local dealer asking what they can do better etc

Last edited by avery.whss; 04-10-2015 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 P30
Originally Posted by Diabolis
The "brake cleaning service" (not just rotors - my bad) was posted in the X204 GLK forum here: https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...ng-brakes.html

The C63 requires a brake fluid flush every 2 years. It has nothing to do with the mileage - it has to do with the fact that brake fluid is hygroscopic and the brake fluid boling point deceases over time as it absorbs moisture from the air. When the fluid boils, you completley lose the brakes (as in the pedal sinks to the floor and you don't even slow down) which is the last thing that you want to happen during a spitited drive or a panic stop. I would strongly suggest you don't skip this particular bit of maintenence. If you air filters are dirty, you just lose some performance; if you boil your brake fluid, you can easily lose your life. It's precisely the reason why most car clubs require that you've had a flush no more than three months' prior to the HPDE event.

The first and only time it happened on my car, it was on a track before a 90 km/h corner (coming down from about 220 km/h) when the pedal sank to the floor. I was very fortunate that the runoff behind it was very long and mostly flat, and that in addition to some cosmetic front end damage to the splitter and a few bent suspension bits from bouncing all over the gopher holes in the grassy soil at insane speeds I made it out OK suffering only from a serious case of "Holy mother of G-D this was close" panic and soiled underwear. Ever since then I do mine every two or three HPDE weekends on the track car, and once every year on all of the street vehicles (including the C63, the GLK and the rest of the P-car fleet).

Incidentally, it turns out that the OEM MB DOT4 brake fluid is among the best availabe on the market - it has better dry and wet boiling point than the ATE stuff (same as the Motul) but is less hygroscopic than all of them. I know of several professional racers that are runnign it, as well as half the field in the regional SOLO II class and BMW and PCA clubs. Just sayin' - it's actually very good stuff.

Yes brake fluid flush is recommended every 2 yrs pretty much across the board for any car for reasons you listed. Most people myself included don't get it done on nearly the regular basis that it should be. I need to do this on my truck soon
Old 04-12-2015, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by roadtalontsi

Exactly this^

There's no big conspiracy to screw everyone, so people need to relax a bit. When you bring your car in for any service at MB, they are going to do a full inspection of the car and inform you of anything that needs to be changed. Sometimes it's going to be wiper blades. Sometimes it will be brake fluid. Sometimes it may even be something truly urgent. The point is, they are trying to help, so don't preemptively scream that they are trying to screw you. Most people can't even change their own wiper blades - they have no way of determining what is appropriate for the skill level of one consumer versus another. Give them the benefit until they really mess with you...
Old 04-12-2015, 04:47 PM

R8, C63, C300
Exactly this^

There's no big conspiracy to screw everyone, so people need to relax a bit. When you bring your car in for any service at MB, they are going to do a full inspection of the car and inform you of anything that needs to be changed. Sometimes it's going to be wiper blades. Sometimes it will be brake fluid. Sometimes it may even be something truly urgent. The point is, they are trying to help, so don't preemptively scream that they are trying to screw you. Most people can't even change their own wiper blades - they have no way of determining what is appropriate for the skill level of one consumer versus another. Give them the benefit until they really mess with you...
I've never experienced this with my Audi dealership. I go in asking for an oil change and that's what I get. They do their typical full inspection to make sure fluids, tires, leaks, etc are all good, and that's it.

They never tell me a list of things I should get done.

Well, my brake fluid is flushed and my oil change is completed. Done & done.