New Member here...Pulling the trigger and getting a 2015 C63 AMG 507

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Shelby GT500
New Member here...Pulling the trigger and getting a 2015 C63 AMG 507

Hi all,
I accidentally posted this in the W205 section first, but anyways new member, and first time poster here. I'm going to be trading in my 2014 Shelby GT500 on a 2015 C63 AMG 507 on Monday, and I can't wait. I've read lots of the commentary about the C63 on these forums and for the most part people seem to love them.

From my end, I was wondering if anyone here went from the type of car I currently have to the C63, and if you were disappointed in any way with the power? My Shelby currently has full bolts on's (smaller pulley, larger throttle body, CAI and tune) so shes putting out about 770hp at the crank I've been told. It feels it too because it has zero traction in first and second and only minimal in third. I describe it to my friends as the slowest fast car Ive ever owned simply because of the traction issues.

Having said all that, I have grown kinda attached to her, but have to say after having sat in a new C63, they are not on the same level as far as fit and finish and material quality.

I also noticed some people here have said that the C63 responds well to tuning..what kind of upgrades have people gotten and what would you recommend? Thanks for any and all responses. I look forward to chatting with you all.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Audi A5 6MT, C63 AMG
Welcome and congrats in advance!
It will be quite a different experience going from a Shelby to a 507. Having said that, I don't think a C63 wins lot of awards in the traction department. I have not driven a shelby so I cannot compare but it does take a bit of practice to get the C63 off to a flying start due to the massive torque and more so without a LSD.
Good luck!
Old 04-21-2015, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 884 Likes on 619 Posts
E63S | X5
C63 will be slower than the mustang, but more fun to drive and be in.

For mods, a tune is the best bang for your buck to start off. After that, in order to see actual gains, you're looking at headers. Fun mostly stops there unless you want to dive in and get a supercharger.

Most popular tune I would say is Eurocharged. And the headers to get would be MBH.

Another popular thing is to do a secondary cat and resonator delete.

Spend some time here and just scroll through a few pages of threads. You'll see most of what you'd be interested in. Topics are repeated quite often.

Pics when you pick it up!
Old 04-21-2015, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 277 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
I'm excited for you and early congrats. PuprleHeartAMG pretty much summed up the mods area really well so no need to repeat.

What color are you thinking about for the C63?
Old 04-21-2015, 02:48 PM

2014 Shelby GT500
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm super excited to pick it up. Its Polar White with the black leather interior. I went with the white because I like the contrast of the AMG stripe along the lower rocker panel and the matte black wheels with the white.

What kind of increases are we looking at for HP with the Eurocharged Tune and headers? I'm guessing it wont be the same kind of increases that are easy to get with supercharged/turbocharged cars.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 884 Likes on 619 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by ameshal
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm super excited to pick it up. Its Polar White with the black leather interior. I went with the white because I like the contrast of the AMG stripe along the lower rocker panel and the matte black wheels with the white.

What kind of increases are we looking at for HP with the Eurocharged Tune and headers? I'm guessing it wont be the same kind of increases that are easy to get with supercharged/turbocharged cars.
Exactly right, N/A gains aren't going to be the same as a turbo/sc setups.

If you just did headers and then got the car dyno tuned for them you could see in the 100whp +/- 5 or 10% neighborhood on non-pp cars. Yours being a 507 already is obviously going to see less gains than a non-pp or non-507 c63 that starts out at the 450hp mark. You'd probably see 60-70whp on a 507.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:07 PM

'09 C63 P30 Eurocharged
I did this exact switch a few years ago. GT500 to C63.

I have not looked back at all, much more comfort, much more refinement. The GT500 was an absolute beast, but I didn't look forward to driving it the way I look forward to driving my C63 every day.

Congrats, enjoy, and welcome!
Old 04-21-2015, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
First of all, welcome to the community and congrats on the new car.

Second, you will really enjoy the driving dynamics of the C63. The steering feel is fantastic. The weight is consistent, irrespective of driving "mode." Steering responsiveness? Precise. And there's plenty of feedback/communication. You really have a nice sense of what the front wheels/tires are doing.

Although the car is a bit on the heavy side, it still feels neutral and balanced. Turn-in is crisp. The LCI cars have a firm ride but you should be used to that. Besides, the damping is quality.

The brakes are great. Pedal feel is nice and linear/progressive.

In sum, you will be losing a bit of power (even after mods) but the car still has many endearing attributes.

As far as modifications are concerned, I would recommend the Eurocharged V5 tune. That's a great starting point. You add power and improve the driving experience without breaking the bank. There are other solid tuning options out there (I recommend exploring them all) but I've been very happy with my Eurocharged experience thus far.

Second step would be going with an aftermarket LSD like the Wavetrac unit (you'll find many glowing reviews about it) so you can start to put the extra power down.

As far as aesthetic components, I cannot speak highly enough of Mode Carbon. Their carbon fiber front lips, diffusers, spoilers, etc. are top-notch. The customer service is what you'd expect when modifying a Mercedes-Benz.

I also have "ROW" (rest of world) air boxes (i.e., the air boxes from Euro/non-U.S. C63s). These are essentially less-restrictive air boxes (U.S. C63s have air boxes with charcoal filters; the inclusion of these CFs compromise the entire design somewhat). Some have seen modest gains when pairing these with a tune, etc. but most folks (including myself) go with these because the car sounds/feels like it breathes better with them. The exhaust note picks up some additional bite as well.

Last edited by zibby43; 04-21-2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:19 PM

2014 Shelby GT500
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm really looking forward to getting the ride and will post some pictures up here as soon as I get her.

I had a BMW 335xi coupe a few years ago, and echoing some of the replies here, I never got the same sense of satisfaction driving the Shelby as I did the BMW. It is beastly fast, but in a way that doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence in what it's doing.

Sounds like a euro charging tune is a good place to start with upping the performance once I become accustomed to the car. For the tune, do they send you a tuner and then later email a map (once you send them the details of your car) that you upload via the OBD port? I ask because that's how it worked with the Shelby.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30
Originally Posted by zibby43

Although the car is a bit on the heavy side, it still feels neutral and balanced. Turn-in is crisp.
This isnt said enough, the car IS heavy but it really doesn't feel like it. They feel very quick and nimble. The wife has a mustang GT and while it is lighter it just feels heavier and doesn't maneuver nearly as well.

It's quite a nice driver because you can always just pop it into C and cruise if you like.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Yes a Eurocharged tune can be purchased with a handheld (MyGenius tuner). You email them the stock information and vin downloaded from your car to the tuner and they email you a tune and you upload it through the OBDII port. The handheld is a little clunky to use but it works.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 277 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Here is some good info on the MyGenius install if you happen to purchase it. Indeed the first time through, the instructions that come with MyGenius are a bit wonky but other members info definitely helped.

Originally Posted by 6.3-amg
Hello!
Regarding the V5 tune installation, i completed this with ease despite not being particulatly computer literate!
Once the handheld is received you need to email EC to have it authorised.
Then pop the usb key and upload the software.
Attach myGenius to computer/laptop with supplied cable and update the device, there are 4 'folders' with the software these are :
1-download from myGenius
2-upload to myGenius
3-info
4-update - this is the first procedure you should do once you get the auth.code from EC.
Once your device is fully updated (i kept updating around 3 times to make sure!) attach the obd cable that came with it and head to your car
Put OBD into the connector which is located under the steering wheel next to pedals and the device will "work" i.e you know it is plugged in correctly!
Just follow the instructions on the device starting with "work" to download your current ecu file it is an fpf file you require.
Once this is complete detach the cable and back to your comp.or laptop.
Plug is with usb cable again and you can access the 'upload to myGenius' section - it will be highlighted
Then locate the fpf file and save it to my docs or something
You can then upload the file directly from your computer to EC via email.
Once you receive the modified file back which is a myG file, save to my docs, plug in myGenius and download that file to the device.
Back to the car and plug in etc. Start with "work" and upload the myG file following onscreen instructions
Once the mod.file is uploading the parking sensors and fan kick in which was scary! then still following onscreen instructions etc. I had 'run errors' or something which threw me but i clicked 'ok' and the device completed around 30secs after with 'file successfully uploaded' or something along those lines! I unplugged and started the car, it sounds different so you will know if its been successful and when you drive you will notice the aggressive downshift, esp. 3 to 2
I also left the battery off overnight to reset tcu ecu etc which helped.
It was quick communication from EC as well, im in the UK!
Hope this helps
also:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ps-tricks.html
Old 04-22-2015, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by rentzington
This isnt said enough, the car IS heavy but it really doesn't feel like it. They feel very quick and nimble. The wife has a mustang GT and while it is lighter it just feels heavier and doesn't maneuver nearly as well.

It's quite a nice driver because you can always just pop it into C and cruise if you like.
Absolutely. Amen. Just expanding on that point, Chris Harris once said that the W204 C63 has some of the best steering feel of any modern sport sedan. The W204 has 2 important attributes you just don't see much anymore: 1) hydraulic steering; 2) naturally aspirated power.

I love the fact that the steering feel remains consistent, irrespective of whether the car is in C, S, S+, or M. Even when you're just cruising around in C, you can still get after a roundabout and have fun placing the car exactly where you want it.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
OP, is the GT500 a manual or auto?
By the way congrats and welcome to MBworld!
Old 04-23-2015, 01:15 AM

2014 Shelby GT500
Originally Posted by abcut973
OP, is the GT500 a manual or auto?
By the way congrats and welcome to MBworld!
It's a manual 6sp. 6th is pretty much an overdrive gear though, just meant to help improve gas mileage.

Looks like the myGenius tuner with a tune from Eurocharged is the way to go. Great instructions on use of the tuner..it looks a little similar to the SCT tuner I used on my Shelby, but maybe a little more complicated haha.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 Barolo red C63 AMG (SOLD).13' P31 c63 coupe 2012 porsche panamera
I like your style. I bought my mods before my second c63 was delivered.

Id enjoy the car stock for a while though, just from experience so you can really appreciate the new power once you mod. Anyways.

Tune+headers+row airboxes is the best bang for your buck.

Then you have lightweight mods like rims rotors breaks.

Then you have cams, if they're still available. I knew MHP made some for a famous ex member here, but they're not the greatest company to deal with, avtually they're the worst. Then you have nitros.

That's all for N/A. Then you're im supercharger territory.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
im your going to supercharge your c63 scrap the eurocharged tune and just get a weistec tune you will be better off later on down the track and save a few dollars
Old 04-23-2015, 03:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 c63s edition 1 coupe
Originally Posted by mr747
im your going to supercharge your c63 scrap the eurocharged tune and just get a weistec tune you will be better off later on down the track and save a few dollars
What tune do you have on yours?? correct me if I'm wrong but your from Australia?
Old 04-23-2015, 04:10 AM

2013 AMG C63 Coupe 507
You will like the C63 from day 1. By the time you've driven it 21 times you will love it. That love doesn't die out even after a year because the car is just so damn predictable and fun!

Congrats on the 507. I have a black coupe. Over 20% of the cars life has been spent on closed roads or a track. I've done 7500 miles so do the math.

My car will eat your GT500 around a track. Seriously. Your GT500 will win at the drag strip if you got the right tires on it and got a good start.

How can your new 507 beat your GT500 around twisty closed roads and a road course?

1 - as said - tune and headers and cat deletes, also go for the rest of world air intakes without the charcoal

2 - if you want to track it - get the AMG 440 Cooling Upgrade package or you will be spending time in limp mode watching a Suzuki Swift go past you lol (they get hot and trans tells the ECU to turn power down from level 10 to 1).

My 507 made 432rwhp stock

A custom tune got that to 460rwhp (I already had rest of world air intakes as it was a UK car)

Adding DPE headers with true merge collectors and deleting the 4 cats saw 485rwhp. IPE headers made half that power gain by comparison.

I'm aiming for 500rwhp so next I'll have to consider a bunch of little tweaks like higher flow filters, more octane etc with gains getting harder and harder - or go to Wesitec CNC heads and pick up 40-50rwhp in one jump.

I'll go to Wesitec as they're good guys to deal with

For track run Nitto NT01's, you can get 275 on the back if you get a spare set of 18" wheels, and they stick well and are very predictable. You can muscle the car on the limit like no Mustang ever could be.

For the street I run the factory 19's - ditch the stock Continentals if you want traction

Forget LSD - a 507 has one and they're good enough to not justify a change. Most other C63 owners don't have them that is why they recommend them.

Shake and bake :-)

BTW - if you have right hand drive - go DPE Headers - awesome and much cheaper. I got mine ceramic HPC coated. Had them hand finished with a dremel and they are perfect. Was not impressed with the high dollar blingy ones that made half he power increase.

These are fantastic cars. On closed roads I've been up against Ferarri F12's, Lambo 570hp G's, Bentley Continental Speed GT, Porsche GT3 RS, Turbo S (not the latest), etc. NOTHING got away. - Enjoy bud - these are great cars

Here's a quick clip from today, turn sound up, you'll come to own this sound once if you follow the recipe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH_C4VvRaz0

Last edited by Bazman; 04-23-2015 at 04:23 AM.