C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Question about a cheap option for tuning. (Renntech)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63 AMG
Lightbulb Question about a cheap option for tuning. (Renntech)

Forgive me if this has been talked about before...
I was on the Renntech website checking out the ECU tuning, I noticed that it's a handheld tuner. I am not entirely sure if you need to keep it plugged in to maintain the tune or you have to plug it in once and it flashes the ECU until you decide to return it to stock.

If you just have to plug it in one time, why don't people offer to tune peoples c63's for reasonably cheap? If I were to purchase the handheld tuner, would c63 owners be interested in getting their ECU tuned for $400 plus shipping?

If what I'm saying is ridiculous, feel free to let me know. I am new here haha

Thanks
Ryan

Last edited by ryanrohypnol; 05-17-2015 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:41 PM

2014 C63 Polar White
Originally Posted by ryanrohypnol
Forgive me if this has been talked about before...
I was on the Renntech website checking out the ECU tuning, I noticed that it's a handheld tuner. I am not entirely sure if you need to keep it plugged in to maintain the tune or you have to plug it in once and it flashes the ECU until you decide to return it to stock.

If you just have to plug it in one time, why don't people offer to tune peoples c63's for reasonably cheap? If I were to purchase the handheld tuner, would c63 owners be interested in getting their ECU tuned for $400 plus shipping?

If what I'm saying is ridiculous, feel free to let me know. I am new here haha

Thanks
Ryan

The programmer is locked to your single car so you can't just say buy a tuner and $1200 tune and then sell a tune to your buddies to recoup your costs.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:42 PM

c63 AMG
Originally Posted by cmacclel
The programmer is locked to your single car so you can't just say buy a tuner and $1200 tune and then sell a tune to your buddies to recoup your costs.
hmm, how would they do that? VIN specific?
Old 05-17-2015, 11:44 PM

2014 C63 Polar White
Originally Posted by ryanrohypnol
hmm, how would they do that? VIN specific?

You buy the handheld then need a file to unlock it. Then you download you cars parameters with the hand held and E-Mail the tuner the file. Then they send you a tune for your car only.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:49 PM

c63 AMG
You buy the handheld then need a file to unlock it. Then you download you cars parameters with the hand held and E-Mail the tuner the file. Then they send you a tune for your car only.
Oh okay, thank you very much! I really appreciate that.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:20 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
09 Carrera S, , 03 F250 CC FX4
Because when you download the file to your car, it is no longer in the handheld.

Just like home computer and a flash drive, when you move a file from one place to the other, it is no longer in the original place
Old 05-18-2015, 10:35 PM

2014 C63 Polar White
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE
Because when you download the file to your car, it is no longer in the handheld.

Just like home computer and a flash drive, when you move a file from one place to the other, it is no longer in the original place

I don't think that is correct? In the handheld should be the stock tune which you can go back to and the updated tune V5 Eurocharge in my case.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:47 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
09 Carrera S, , 03 F250 CC FX4
I don't think that is correct? In the handheld should be the stock tune which you can go back to and the updated tune V5 Eurocharge in my case.
You are correct. I was just trying to simplify it a little more.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:10 AM

c63 AMG
I just received my Eurocharged tune today, the VIN lock definitely isn't unbreakable. I ran the software "Fiddler Web Debugger" and it exposed the FTP server the files were being downloaded and updated from. The activation file can be opened in Notepad++ and it is some sort of encryption. There is many tools out there to detect encryption types and decode. The only thing that I wasn't entirely sure of was the tune being set up for the elevation of your area etc. I don't think the average hacker knows much about the science involved... I am a software developer / security expert so this kind of stuff obviously interests me

I wouldn't take advantage of the software and resell it if I spent the time reverse engineering it but if Eurocharged wants me to penetration test it, I wouldn't have any problem doing that.