C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

How do you know when your fuel pump needs replacing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 05:34 PM

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s edition 1

When I had my car in the dealership it had a low fuel pressure code (can't remember exact wording) that could be seen when it was scanned. The device advisor called and said I need a new fuel pump. The car has 35k miles (46k km). The tech working on it happened to know my friend who is on the paperwork (previous owner) for the vehicle and called my friend to say, not to replace the fuel pump unless it has any further issues, and that he is just supposed to suggest it to the advisor when such a code is logged. Previously to this experience I had it at a friends shop with an obd2 reader plugged in and it also had a low fuel code of some sort than as well. At the time I figured it had been tune related. I thought fuel pumped either worked or didn't, and the car has low miles.

Anyway to test the pump and/or know for sure?

Last edited by ShaneN.; 07-16-2015 at 12:51 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX

"Low fuel" code can be caused by an air leak as well. Happened with my Porsche.

Last edited by m a x i m u s; 07-16-2015 at 01:58 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
You've been starting a lot of threads about various issues lately. Do us a favor, get a code scanner and ready your codes and then post them up in one place.

At the very least, give us a full run down of what has been going on with your car in one place. From top to bottom. That will be the best way to hopefully diagnose what has been going on with your car.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:44 AM

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s edition 1
I find that on forums it's hard enough to stay on topic with one topic that when you ask a few questions together you never get your result. I've got other issues that I'm thinking is a wheel speed sensor, I'll know for sure after tomorrow when it arrives.

The car is new to me, which is why I have a sudden interest in asking quetions - I'm trying to have the car at 100% and at the same time trying to learn what makes these things tick.

As for the fuel pump, I wish I knew the verbatim wording of the code that came up but once was at the dealership and they said they're not allowed to hand out that information after I paid to have the work done. The other time was at a friends shop when using his obd2 scanner but I didn't write it down then. The fuel pump has never caused an issue where I had noticed without obd2 reader (ie check engine light), and like the tech said he wouldn't worry about it if it wasn't a recurring problem . I'm trying to figure out how I can be sure the fuel pump is working 100% before I just go and replace it like the service suggested.

I guess more importantly what I'm curious about is if the computer will do something to avoid running to lean. I'd like to get myself sorted out with a more trust worth tune before I start worrying about what random codes come up when I scan with obd2.

Last edited by ShaneN.; 07-16-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Total BS with the dealer telling you that they aren't able to give you info. Also, I'm not ripping on you here, just noticed you've had a few threads pop up.

I'm on here often. Just tell me everything you are going through and I'll see if I can't point you in the right direction.

Do you have an CELs on?
Old 07-16-2015, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 Estate
I had a similar fuel issue in my ML63, and twice in WOT up a hill the car totally cut out and shut down and came to a stop.
Was quite dangerous.

Turned out to be fuel pump
Old 07-16-2015, 08:52 AM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
09 Carrera S, , 03 F250 CC FX4
Generally you will experience low power under a load in upper rpms before complete failure.

However, a clogged fuel filter will cause these same symptoms including your low fuel press issue. So usually the fuel filter is replaced as part of trouble shooting before the pump is replaced
Old 07-17-2015, 06:06 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
when you goto WOT it, the car will choke and shake around 4-5k RPM ..had both my fuel pumps go, be prepared to wait, or if youre lucky you might have some in stock around you.