C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

"Stank smell in cabin under hard acceleration"

Old 08-17-2015, 03:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c63 AMG
"Stank smell in cabin under hard acceleration"

I thought maybe to rephrase my question. When you guys are driving your cars hard with the windows up and a/c on do you experience any bad smells in the cabin? If so can you please identify them for me. I still can't figure what is causing the burnt smell in my cabin at high speeds and hard acceleration.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Range Rover Sport, 2012 C63 Coupe P31
I'll let the mechanical experts chime in but it sounds like it could be an exhaust leak or something.

Is your car under warranty? I just had my car checked for odd smoking and a smell and it turned out I ran over a plastic bag and it had got caught on my headers and melted. Dealer didn't charge me for the diagnosis but I'm under warranty.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:44 PM

c63 AMG
Definately not a plastic bag...

No warrentee. Actually found the old remnants of a bag; wasn't making the smell. I had the exhaust checked and no leaks were found. I inspected the whole rear end and everything appears to be air tight. I was thinking perhaps it may be the vents on the sides of the car under the back bumper. They are meant to release cabin air to keep pressures stabilized. Perhaps when driving at high speeds at wot cat converter rank is creeping back in through those vents because of high wheel pressures in the wheel well.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:33 PM

2013 Ram 2500 Limited 2013 Harley CVO Road Glide
I had a bad stench on start up, never while accelerating.
Changed the cabin filter out and been good since. Cheap enough thing to try for you if you haven't already..
Old 08-17-2015, 10:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Range Rover Sport, 2012 C63 Coupe P31
Sounds like other people have had success of getting rid of smells by changing the cabin filters:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...placement.html

Not a bad way to go since you said the smell happens when the A/C is on.

Just bought one for myself:
Amazon.com: Premium Guard PC5844 Cabin Air Filter: Automotive Amazon.com: Premium Guard PC5844 Cabin Air Filter: Automotive

Last edited by unruin; 08-17-2015 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:48 PM

C63
I have the same problem. They checked the car twice I think. i may go to another Dealer.
The smell is stronger in the trunk. It occurs when idling or windows open. i suspect the vents to let out positive pressure in the trunk too. I've even though maybe a plug was left out of the spare tire well.
Did not encounter the problem until the Dealer where I bought it detailed the car and soaked the carpets with spot cleaner. we like to have died on the way home, with the windows open and the air running on high. Since that time we have had the funky Road dirt/exhaust smell. With air going and running down the road it doesn't seem to be there, just if you open the windows or go slow.
The leather smell is gone since the detailed it too.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Any chance it is the catalytic converter? I know after a hard run, the garage smells like rotten eggs. That's the cats from what I've searched.

Posted from Mbworld.org App for Android
Old 08-20-2015, 05:07 AM

c63 AMG
It definately could be. Probably is the cats. The questiob is why I smell it in the car.