C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Cam Adjuster Gone Bad After an Oil Change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 11:33 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
Cam Adjuster Gone Bad After an Oil Change?

Hi Everyone!

I took my car to the dealer (Mercedes-Benz of Portland) for a complete inspection before purchasing it (said they spent 3 hours to check the engine and what not). They said the car was in a great condition and only needed brake pads and tire rotation. I asked to check the lifters (because I was reading it's common for this car). The stealer said this is very uncommon but he said there is no sign of lifter issue or anything needs to be replaced. The car engine is clean and in great condition.

I bought the car, 3 weeks later, I changed my brake pads at the stealer. No issue. Nothing is wrong. A week after, I brought the car for an oil change. I dropped off the car, I came the next day after work, I picked up the car, and there you go. A noise coming off the engine that didn't exist before. It was around closing time, so I called the guy who I was dealing with, told him I will come after work tomorrow to check it out because this noise wasn't there and when I dropped off the car, there was nothing wrong with the engine or anything else. After they checked the car, they said it was a cam adjuster. The service manager said "Cars break" and its not their fault. Then he offered to pay for the labor and I pay for the parts ($900ish for labor and $1800ish for the parts).

I told him I won't be paying for it because the damage happened while they had the car. He claims they never touched the engine, only changed the oil so this is not their fault and that cars break. I contacted MB USA and said they spoke with the service manager and that things break bla bla bla. They will only offer for the labor. I reached to MB in Europe, they said they can't do anything about because its up to MB USA (they have resources bla bal).

What are my options now to get it fixed? Would cam adjusters just go bad all of the sudden (from everything running smooth to a loud noise out of nowhere)?

I filed a complaint with Better Business Bureau (BBB) and now I'm waiting. If this doesn't work, I'll go to small claim in court and file my case. In a way BBB is a proof of my communication (small court will ask). Any other suggestions?

The car has 46K miles on it.

Thanks,
Ali
Old 10-10-2015, 12:25 PM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
2012 C63 P31 sedan
If they are offering to pay the labor it seems fair to me. Not sure how you think you get free cam adjusters out of an oil change. They suck the oil out the dipstick and replace the filter...the timing sucks, but I just don't see how you can prove a cam adjuster issue resulting from an oil change.

You buy a used car with no warranty this is the chance you take. People have had the headbolts go out right after purchase and been on the hook for those too.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Cam adjusters go bad around that miles. How does an oil change affect it?
Old 10-10-2015, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A V8
MB is being reasonable by footing the labor bill. You should be thankful.

I would say it's pretty impossible to damage a camshaft adjuster while doing an oil change. Even an inept tech couldn't do that.

you filed a complaint with the bBB? that is pushing it imo. there is no reason to. you bought a v8 with 45k on it, **** breaks brother. get used to it.

And fyi, i just had my cam adjusters go bad at 25k.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Wow, had no idea it cost that much. I had mine all replaced under warranty. Fwiw, my tech told me point blank that it doesn't harm anything if you don't replace bad cam adjusters, despite the nasty sound it makes. Who knows if that's true, but he said that to me even after they fixed it.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts
2012 c63 AMG, 2011 GLK 350, 2019 GLS 450
Originally Posted by xKryptonite
Hi Everyone!

I took my car to the dealer (Mercedes-Benz of Portland) for a complete inspection before purchasing it (said they spent 3 hours to check the engine and what not). They said the car was in a great condition and only needed brake pads and tire rotation. I asked to check the lifters (because I was reading it's common for this car). The stealer said this is very uncommon but he said there is no sign of lifter issue or anything needs to be replaced. The car engine is clean and in great condition.

I bought the car, 3 weeks later, I changed my brake pads at the stealer. No issue. Nothing is wrong. A week after, I brought the car for an oil change. I dropped off the car, I came the next day after work, I picked up the car, and there you go. A noise coming off the engine that didn't exist before. It was around closing time, so I called the guy who I was dealing with, told him I will come after work tomorrow to check it out because this noise wasn't there and when I dropped off the car, there was nothing wrong with the engine or anything else. After they checked the car, they said it was a cam adjuster. The service manager said "Cars break" and its not their fault. Then he offered to pay for the labor and I pay for the parts ($900ish for labor and $1800ish for the parts).

I told him I won't be paying for it because the damage happened while they had the car. He claims they never touched the engine, only changed the oil so this is not their fault and that cars break. I contacted MB USA and said they spoke with the service manager and that things break bla bla bla. They will only offer for the labor. I reached to MB in Europe, they said they can't do anything about because its up to MB USA (they have resources bla bal).

What are my options now to get it fixed? Would cam adjusters just go bad all of the sudden (from everything running smooth to a loud noise out of nowhere)?

I filed a complaint with Better Business Bureau (BBB) and now I'm waiting. If this doesn't work, I'll go to small claim in court and file my case. In a way BBB is a proof of my communication (small court will ask). Any other suggestions?

The car has 46K miles on it.

Thanks,
Ali
Describe the noise please. And honestly pretty decent of them to pay labor it's truly a coincidence no way they would touch the adjusters just for an oil change.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
2008 Mercedes Benz E63
I wouldn't pay for any of it. The oil change had nothing to do with it. Cam adjusters fail. Your lifters will fail too eventually. I'm surprised they even covered the labor. Its the same thing as taking your car to a dealer and they do an oil change and your brake pad wear light came on on their test drive and then you say its their fault the pads wore out when they drove it.

Last edited by layzie12g; 10-11-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
^ You should specify, because I think you're saying if you were the dealer you wouldn't pay for any of it.

OP -- take them up on their offer before you lose it.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Mercedes Benz E63
*If I was the dealer.*

My car makes an occasional noise from the the adjusters. I'd say once every 40 starts. I tried to create a thread asking if anyone has ever seen an actual failure. I have seem them fail after they were removed and cams/lifters replaced. The car would misfire over 2000 rpm. I replaced all four and the car ran good after. If you car still passes the guided test using an SDS for the adjsuters I'm not sure if I'd worry about it. The noise does suck though.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:38 PM

C63
Things do fail, but it didn't fail while I had it (things like this happen slowly over time and you could notice a change, not from 0 to 100 suddenly). My point was the car was perfectly fine. I turn it on, and the noise is loud. If the dealer really didn't touch anything, this wouldn't happen all of the sudden. There are many possible things, one of them include the person changing oil turned the car on with no oil, low oil .. or whatever the scenario might have been. So many things could've happened.

AMGonFire, It is a ticking noise coming off the driver side of the engine. It is not symmetrical so the rhythm is not the same over and over.

Brake pads could go bad, but you'll notice that with time. It's a simple thing, when you have the car, make sure it goes back to your customer the same way he gave it to you + fix/do whatever that was asked when handing the keys.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:38 PM

C63
Another question, do they change the lifters? I asked if they would change them, they said they only clean them.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,576 Likes on 929 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
The fresh clean oil flowing through could have accelerated the inevitable.

Schrodinger's cat...
Old 10-11-2015, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Mercedes Benz E63
"(things like this happen slowly over time and you could notice a change, not from 0 to 100 suddenly)"

That statement absolutely ridiculous. Cleaning the lifter after the cam ate through them probably wouldn't solve the problem. I'm done with this thread. Your one of "those" customers. You should talk to someone else if they told you they clean the lifters.

Your just looking to place blame on someone for your car's problem. Who are you going to blame when the cams and lifters fail? Ask for a quote from your dealer for that job, or maybe just trade the car in now.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:19 PM

C63
Thank you for your input. You're probably one of those who like to believe whatever the dealer/shop tells them without questioning.

Not looking for someone to blame, but the least of my rights as a consumer and I don't just wanna throw $$$ because they asked. And simply asked here for advice and thoughts of this happening. FYI, I do have an extended warranty that covers bumper to bumper (however they're involved in this already regarding this fix but saying the same thing I said because they asked how did it break .. etc).

I didn't clean the lifter. I just asked if the lifters are to be replaced or cleaned because the dealer said they can only clean them and not replcae them.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Mercedes Benz E63
I'm a mechanic for a living. One of the few people on this forum who have actually done cams, lifters, and adjusters in a 156. Have your warranty cover it then.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Originally Posted by layzie12g
I'm a mechanic for a living. One of the few people on this forum who have actually done cams, lifters, and adjusters in a 156. Have your warranty cover it then.
Layzie: any truth to what my tech said about a bad cam adjuster not doing any damage to the engine? I already had mine replaced under warranty, but was always curious to know if he was correct or misinformed (I don't think he was flat out lying, since they already did the work).
Old 10-11-2015, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Mercedes Benz E63
I honestly do not know. I have a thread started that has explained all my experience. I was able to turn the crank 30 degrees with no rotation from the intake cams when the adjusters had failed. It did not bend valves. I replaced all the adjusters and it ran fine. There is an LI document regarding this issue as well as cam/lifter wear.

I know the noise on start is annoying, but it seems the information regarding this is limited. I thought people would have a lot of interest in this because there some guys on here that are very knowledgeable that could chime in. I have never heard of any kind of engine failure on the 156 coming from failed cam adjusters.
The following users liked this post:
Nate GZ (01-12-2020)
Old 10-18-2015, 05:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63
I have an 2009 C63 that is driven year round in Calgary. It is normally kept in the garage but over the winter of 2013/2014 I had to keep it outside because my garage was full. Its also had oil changes about every 7000km/5000 miles. During that winter I did allot of short trips in minus 20-25 degrees below where the engine would have been fully warmed up for only a few minutes. I knew it would be dealing with a fair bit of condensation and likely sludge build up. About March I noticed it starting to make a rattle on start up for a second or two. I knew that all manufacturers using variable valve timing were having problems with the systems getting sludged up so I knew I needed to give it a flush and get an oil change. I put a half a can of Seafoam in the crankcase just before going to the dealer for the change. While at the dealer I asked them to check out the noise on startup and give me their thoughts. When I picked up the car they told me I needed 4 adjusters and the actuators. The quote was $5600.00
I said that is ridiculous and check to see if Benz will cover it. (I only had 72,000 km on the vehicle but was out of warranty) Now here is the strange part; When I went out and got in the vehicle and fired it up it was dead quiet, no rattle. As I had hoped, the flush seemed to help. Funny the tech never noticed this after he put the new oil in that it was quiet. Anyway, after I called the dealer back to find out if Benz would cover the parts, they said no. After the oil change it still did occasionally rattle for maybe a half a second only maybe every 30 starts. I went back and pissed off told the service manager that I was not pleased that they tried to get $5600.00 dollars out of me when a $10.00 can of engine cleaner cleared up 99% of the problem.
Coincidentally, about a week or so after this my neighbor picked up a used F150 Ecoboost pickup truck. I heard him start it up and it made the exact same rattle as I had experienced. I told him my situation and he said yes, his dealer wanted $1600 to replace his camshaft "Phasers". We ran the same flush through his truck and now it only has an occasional short rattle when fired up hot.
So the biggest factors with both our vehicles when they rattle is when they have been run hard and shut down hot, when the oil was at its thinnest. Over that summer I tried an additive that increases viscosity but it didn't seem to make any difference. Still one short rattle every 3-4 weeks.
Finally, I noticed with the last oil change at the dealer that they are now putting in an additive with an oil change. Either my suggestion to the dealer or somebody else has realized they have sludge and wear problems and are trying to deal with it by using an additive. When I asked the service writer why they were putting this in and why didn't they ask me first, he replied; Oh Mercedes recommends it and we have always done it. Ya right you f---ing liars.
In another post I will share my new problem of the increasing valve train ticking noise from the infamous bucket wear. So only 90,000 km, excellent service intervals of 14 oil changes and the buckets and likely cam(s) will have to be replaced. Gonna be a new war with Benz....
The following users liked this post:
xKryptonite (10-23-2017)
Old 10-18-2015, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amg
Originally Posted by xKryptonite
Things do fail, but it didn't fail while I had it (things like this happen slowly over time and you could notice a change, not from 0 to 100 suddenly). My point was the car was perfectly fine. I turn it on, and the noise is loud. If the dealer really didn't touch anything, this wouldn't happen all of the sudden. There are many possible things, one of them include the person changing oil turned the car on with no oil, low oil .. or whatever the scenario might have been. So many things could've happened.

AMGonFire, It is a ticking noise coming off the driver side of the engine. It is not symmetrical so the rhythm is not the same over and over.

Brake pads could go bad, but you'll notice that with time. It's a simple thing, when you have the car, make sure it goes back to your customer the same way he gave it to you + fix/do whatever that was asked when handing the keys.
How loud is the ticking ?
Old 10-18-2015, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63
I had the lifter sound for maybe 3 weeks
And today suddenly a sound comes tuk tuk tuk
Whats this ?
Is this the same problem
Here is the link ...
Old 10-18-2015, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Mercedes Benz E63
It would be better if the video came from under the hood of the car. It would really be nice if AMG or Benz stepped up on the cam and lifter situation. That was the first engine designed and built in house at AMG for a production car, and they screwed up.

Mercedes Benz will cover the balance shaft gear on all 272 engines that have documented maintenance because it was made out of too soft of metal. Why they do not step on up this is beyond me.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts
2012 c63 AMG, 2011 GLK 350, 2019 GLS 450
Originally Posted by Multispeed
I have an 2009 C63 that is driven year round in Calgary. It is normally kept in the garage but over the winter of 2013/2014 I had to keep it outside because my garage was full. Its also had oil changes about every 7000km/5000 miles. During that winter I did allot of short trips in minus 20-25 degrees below where the engine would have been fully warmed up for only a few minutes. I knew it would be dealing with a fair bit of condensation and likely sludge build up. About March I noticed it starting to make a rattle on start up for a second or two. I knew that all manufacturers using variable valve timing were having problems with the systems getting sludged up so I knew I needed to give it a flush and get an oil change. I put a half a can of Seafoam in the crankcase just before going to the dealer for the change. While at the dealer I asked them to check out the noise on startup and give me their thoughts. When I picked up the car they told me I needed 4 adjusters and the actuators. The quote was $5600.00
I said that is ridiculous and check to see if Benz will cover it. (I only had 72,000 km on the vehicle but was out of warranty) Now here is the strange part; When I went out and got in the vehicle and fired it up it was dead quiet, no rattle. As I had hoped, the flush seemed to help. Funny the tech never noticed this after he put the new oil in that it was quiet. Anyway, after I called the dealer back to find out if Benz would cover the parts, they said no. After the oil change it still did occasionally rattle for maybe a half a second only maybe every 30 starts. I went back and pissed off told the service manager that I was not pleased that they tried to get $5600.00 dollars out of me when a $10.00 can of engine cleaner cleared up 99% of the problem.
Coincidentally, about a week or so after this my neighbor picked up a used F150 Ecoboost pickup truck. I heard him start it up and it made the exact same rattle as I had experienced. I told him my situation and he said yes, his dealer wanted $1600 to replace his camshaft "Phasers". We ran the same flush through his truck and now it only has an occasional short rattle when fired up hot.
So the biggest factors with both our vehicles when they rattle is when they have been run hard and shut down hot, when the oil was at its thinnest. Over that summer I tried an additive that increases viscosity but it didn't seem to make any difference. Still one short rattle every 3-4 weeks.
Finally, I noticed with the last oil change at the dealer that they are now putting in an additive with an oil change. Either my suggestion to the dealer or somebody else has realized they have sludge and wear problems and are trying to deal with it by using an additive. When I asked the service writer why they were putting this in and why didn't they ask me first, he replied; Oh Mercedes recommends it and we have always done it. Ya right you f---ing liars.
In another post I will share my new problem of the increasing valve train ticking noise from the infamous bucket wear. So only 90,000 km, excellent service intervals of 14 oil changes and the buckets and likely cam(s) will have to be replaced. Gonna be a new war with Benz....
That initial rattle on start is very common most people don't even pay attention to it cause it lasts so short. Oil changes quiet it down a lot. I had my cam adjusters replaced under warranty did absolutely nothing to change the sound. I listened to 3 m156 motors at the dealer guess made the same noise. One of the guys was actually picking his car up from sevice and it made the noise. End result no idea what it is but doesn't seem to cause damage. 2 Benz dealers gave me the it's totally fine so it's on them. Car runs fantastic so no complaints
Old 10-20-2015, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
Originally Posted by layzie12g
"(things like this happen slowly over time and you could notice a change, not from 0 to 100 suddenly)"

That statement absolutely ridiculous. Cleaning the lifter after the cam ate through them probably wouldn't solve the problem. I'm done with this thread. Your one of "those" customers. You should talk to someone else if they told you they clean the lifters.

Your just looking to place blame on someone for your car's problem. Who are you going to blame when the cams and lifters fail? Ask for a quote from your dealer for that job, or maybe just trade the car in now.
Amen.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R63 AMG, GTR
While obviously the oil change didn't cover the problem, these motors do have issues.

I wish mercedes would cover the head bolts, cams, lifters, and maybe the cam adjusters (phasers). All these areas seem to have design issues.

I have wanted an R63 for years. I know it is weird, but you know. I found one cheap enough that even though the motor rattles but I could start out by having the m156 problems fixed-hopefully- and not worry about it any more.

I guess there is something to be paid with our high horsepower german motors; large motors with 100hp/liter potential seem to have issues. My last 2 BMW M3's both had different motor wear problems...crank bearing wear on one, rod bearing wear on the other. I was always paranoid about it. Of course BMW took care of the E46 cars with rod bearing wear.

On the other hand honda/acura seem to know how to do it with the S2000 and NSX.

Good luck to you and all fellow m156 owners with clanking/clacking engines.

Regards,
Justin Wade
2007 R63 with an engine clattering as we speak
Old 10-29-2015, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
The ubiquitous problems on the internet do not reflect the real world. All cars and engines have problems. There are reasons warranties are only 4yrs and you could buy an extended or cpo warranty.

It sucks you're having them but fix them with the updated parts and you'll probably never have to again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cam Adjuster Gone Bad After an Oil Change?