C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

New owner checking in

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63 AMG
New owner checking in

Hey guys, I just picked up a 2013 last week (17k miles off lease) and so far am loving this car. Coming from a tuned up STI, this thing is a completely different animal! I'll most likely be looking to EuroCharged or OE for a tune this spring, outside of that I plan on leaving the car stock.

Anyways, pretty much just wanted to check in and say hi, see if there were any tips or tricks to this car. I've been reading through a lot of threads, so much info to digest...
Old 10-20-2015, 10:45 PM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
E63S AMG
Welcome. I've had my C63 for about a year now and have always wondered how the STi drives, especially compared to the C63. I would love to hear your comparison.

Also, does your car have the P31?
Old 10-20-2015, 11:04 PM

2013 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by kjkidd21
Welcome. I've had my C63 for about a year now and have always wondered how the STi drives, especially compared to the C63. I would love to hear your comparison.

Also, does your car have the P31?
No P31, just checked the VIN decoder I found on this forum to verify.

The STI was a good car to drive. I bought mine new in 2011, and with several mods and a custom tune it was pretty quick. I think the AWD system is unparalleled in any other car I've driven. That car felt like it was on rails, and you'd lose your nerve before the back end broke loose. Excellent car for what it's supposed to be.

I'd say the most immediate difference in driving is not having turbo lag anymore. Until the turbo gets going, the STI is just a 2.5L 4 cylinder. Compared to that, sometimes it feels like the AMG engine responds before I even get on it. Oh, and getting used to an automatic again. May or may not have stomped the brakes a few times out of clutch habits...
Old 10-21-2015, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by jellis110
Hey guys, I just picked up a 2013 last week (17k miles off lease) and so far am loving this car. Coming from a tuned up STI, this thing is a completely different animal! I'll most likely be looking to EuroCharged or OE for a tune this spring, outside of that I plan on leaving the car stock.

Anyways, pretty much just wanted to check in and say hi, see if there were any tips or tricks to this car. I've been reading through a lot of threads, so much info to digest...
Welcome and congrats! Post pics of the beauty .

Tips/tricks - Hope these help

Originally Posted by Energybiz
UPDATED 6/3

I know there is a W204 Secrets Thread in the C Sedan section, but nothing for the Coupe yet. I tried a few of the secrets in that section, but no dice. I thought maybe we should have our own dedicated to the Coupe.
Here are a couple of things that I have found so far... Please add to the list!!

1. Hood opens up to about 90 degrees to the body of the car when pushed
2. Bluetooth audio can be changed via steering wheel controls when in audio mode. No track info is shown if listening to Pandora or Google music however
3. If you turn on the REAR fogs (we dont have front fogs), the front driving lights turn off for some reason.
4. A tap on the turn signal gets you 3 flashes for easy lane changes
5. NAV Voice command entry
6. Service Menu:

- key in position 1, set display to the default view (mileage)
- push and hold the call answer button on the steering wheel (right button on the right side)
- push and hold button "Ok" (on the left side) in between 1 second
- hold both buttons for at least 5 seconds until the service menu shows up
- navigate through the menu with the arrows on the left side

7. When at a full stop, you can press the brake pedal in fully to activate the 'HOLD' feature which will keep the car 'parked' while still in gear. Great for long traffic signals, drive thrus etc..
8. When manual shifting press and hold of stick to the right or the left to quickly return to fully automatic drive mode
9. To phone someone by name even though you haven't a setup a nickname for them yet press the voice command button on the steering wheel and say "Call Name". When prompted for the name say the last name, pause for about
half a second, then say the first name.
10. You can open the windows and sunroof using the remote key and the sensor embedded near the back of the driver side door handle.
11. To increase or decrease the volume of the voice prompts for navigation system, wait until she starts speaking then adjust using the steering wheel volume controls
12. To get into the engineering menu: Hang up button + 1 + # for about 5 seconds. (USE CAUTION HERE!!!!)
13. Point the key fob towards the driver door, press and hold the unlock button until the sun roof opens. To close hold the lock button down and sunroof will close. ONLY WORKS WHEN FACING DRIVER'S DOOR!!
14. If you have Keyless Go: you can touch and hold the indented square area at the door handle and it'll close the windows and sunroof as well.
15. If you have an ipod hooked up, when in a list such as artists or genre, you can use the keypad on the right of the radio to jump straight to a letter like old school t9 texting. Also, when in a playlist or track list, you can hit # then
the numbers and it will take you directly to that track number. This goes for radio stations as well, # and the radio station digits will directly take you to that station.
16. Same thing applies to entering addresses in the nav system, or searching POI's by name. You can type the whole name or street with the keypad without having to keep scrolling back and forth to letters with the little wheel
17. For cars with the cornering lights (I think they only come with the lighting package) when you are in reverse, the cornering lights are reversed as well. Turn the wheel to the left and the right side
lights up and vice versa.
18. When you hit the Voice command button and the A/C or heater fan is on, it lowers the fan speed in order to hear your commands more clearly.
19. On the back of the paddle shift wings, there is an indentation on the left one, and a bump on the right one so when the wheel is turning you know which one you are pulling.
Originally Posted by SaphGreyC63
No you are correct in this, here's how it work.

C - Comfort Mode
-Starts in 2nd gear.
-Very quick to upshift to next gear.
-Maximizes comfort with easy shifts and gas mileage

S - Sport Mode
-Starts in 1st Gear
-Shifts more abruptly than C
-Mix of Sport and Comfort
-I NEVER USE THIS (but that's just me)

S+ - Sport Plus Mode
-Starts in 1st Gear
-Holds revs much longer before upshifts
-Fast hard shifts
-My preferred mode out of the full autos

M - Manual Mode
-Starts in 1st
-Will NOT upshift until you tell it to
-Will downshift if you slow down too much (ie coming to a light in 3rd and stopping, it will go back to 1st for you)

Now as for the the auto modes. Let's say you are in C or S or S+. You are cruising along in 3rd and shift it down to 2nd. Your dash will now say D2. If you redline it it will upshift for you, otherwise it will stay in 2nd. If you slow down it will go back to 1st but will stay at D2, meaning it will now go through first gear and upshift (without redlining) but will not pass 2nd until redline or you upshift it to D3 (at which point it will upshift at some of the higher revs, but no need for full redline).

Lastly, you do not need to stop the car and restart, if you are driving and press and hold the + paddle or move the gear stick to the right and hold, it will shift all the way back to full auto.

Hope that helps explain it!

(PS, if you come to a stop and press the brake then press it again it goes to HOLD which keeps the brakes activated till you touch the gas or brake again, really comfy feature)
Reset your ECU first. The procedure to reset the ECU is as follows;

1. Turn the ignition key to the "on" position which is just before you crank the engine to start.
2. Press the accelerator to the floor and hold for 5 seconds.
3. Then turn the key to the off position but do not remove the key, then release the accelerator.
4. Wait at least 2 minutes, the ECU is then reset.
5. ECU is now reset and you are ready to get new rear tires.

The ECU reset procedure only erases the adaptive transmission and throttle settings. It does not erase any of the fuel, timing or other programming.

Read more: Easiest way to reset my ECU
Old 10-21-2015, 08:15 PM

2013 C63 AMG
Definitely saving this post for future reference, a lot of good stuff. Seems to be about 50/50 on the ECU reset, but I'll definitely give it a shot. Thanks a lot man.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
amg c63
Is the ECU reset deal the same for a 2009 c63?
Old 10-22-2015, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
None for now
Yes.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:10 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
W204 C63
Where is this C-Sedan Secrets thread you speak of Insignia?

Couldn't find it through Search.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by Phil Chow
Where is this C-Sedan Secrets thread you speak of Insignia?

Couldn't find it through Search.
Lots of pages lol.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ts-thread.html
Old 10-22-2015, 09:51 AM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
2006 C55
Welcome, post pics yo.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 430 Likes on 353 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Congrats on the C63, enjoy.

Post pics...or it never happened...lol