C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

W204 v W205 Post your impressions/review!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 507 Coupe
W204 v W205 Post your impressions/review!

Unless my search was a fail i haven't seen a collective thread for mini reviews/impressions for the W204 v W205 C63 yet (I don't count the "which one should I buy threads") so for those that have driven both post your thoughts here!

So basically, I had some track time in the new W205 C63S a few weeks ago and some very limited road time. I would say I'm a car enthusiast but in terms of driving/track skill, probably only slightly better than your average driver so keep that in mind. Also my comparo is between the W205 C63S and the W204 507.

Styling:
Obviously subjective, but to me the W204 looks much better. It looks much more aggressive and has the boxy DTM look of the late 90's and 2000's which I loved growing up as a kid. I won't lie, when the W205 leaks appeared on the internet a few days before the official release, it was one of the most disappointing feelings I've had from a car perspective in a long time. I guess I kind of knew how it was going to look based on the W205 C class, but was hoping for a more aggressive look or something that would easily distinguish it from a regular C. Also I love the old 'real' oval exhaust pipes of older AMGs compared to the square ones incorporated into the bodywork of the new models.

A lot of others at the track agreed with me saying it looked too feminine. While I wouldn't say it looks feminine, it does have a sleeker look to it. More of an 'iron fist in a velvet glove' look. More of a sleeper car which I understand would be a big appeal to some.

On the other hand though, the interior is quite better in the W205. I can't comment on the quality of the materials but just the look and finish is of a higher standard. The column shifter was an interesting choice. I guess after a while you would get used to it but it just felt weird having never used one before. The 'waterfall' centre console is gorgeous and I'd pick the two tone red/white and wood-grain option over the carbonfibre. The buttons/switches for the window are also a standout feature. Something that wouldn't even cross my mind but they just stuck out with how they felt and worked. Also I must be in the minority but I do like the floating screen but it would be better if it was angled slightly towards the driver.

Engine/Drivetrain:
Well the M156 is pretty much legendary status. I remember Tobias Moers saying "Nobody will miss the good old 6.2-liter naturally aspirated engine" but I'm sure it was just marketing spin! I won't go on about the old engine because you all know how great it is already but the M177 is no slouch. I felt the sound in the cabin was much louder in the W205. Mind you this was with the perf-exhaust option. There are louder pops and crackles, especially when you back off and the engine sounds deeper/throatier but it doesn't sound as good as the old atmo. Top Gear summed it up perfectly "the last C63, with its naturally aspirated 6.2 litre V8 sounded like it was coming to kill you and everyone in your village. This one still sounds awfully mean and will give you tingles, but doesn't have quite the same ring of brutality." Gearbox wise, the W205 is in another league. It shifts faster than the old car and most importantly, actually shifts when you want it to. It's hard to imagine that they're the same Speedshift-MCT.

Driving/On the Road:
The new C63 feels a lot lighter than it really is but I think it's due to the steering feel. The steering is light and it's easy to place the car in corners but lacks the feel of the old car. I would say the ride in the W205 is also firmer than the old car too, even in its comfort setting which for me was no big deal. I can't really compare the brakes on both cars because the C63S I drove had the carbon ceramics so it's a little unfair to say they were better. The new car also had the HUD, which was a first in a car for me so it was pretty cool and useful. Something I would option if I had the choice. The bucket seats in the W205 were amazing. Really hug you and have great support in the corners. One big positive of the W205 is how it puts its power down while coming out of corners. The road-holding is amazing.

Verdict:
Well, I guess you know where this is going. I do prefer the old car to the new one. Ideally, the perfect C63 would be the old car with the new gearbox and a little more engine noise. I'm a little old-school so the old car suits me better. It's a car where you can just get in and drive and not have to fidget around with different settings and dynamics. For the track and for performance, the new car is better obviously but for someone like me who drives 99% on the road then I prefer the old rawer C63. I wouldn't say I'm disappointing with the W205. Far from it. It's a more than capable machine but it just doesn't stir the same emotions you get from the W204.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 E550 4Matic & 2010 Audi Q5 & 2015 C63 507
I am glad I made my choice. I guess I will see when the new W205 coupe comes out.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
I own both:

Build Quality - W204 +++
Quarter Mile - W205 +++
Road Course (dep on the course) - generally W205 FTW
Styling - Subjective.
Fuel Econ - W205 +++
Old 10-24-2015, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
This is talked about in another thread about the 2016 C63s coupe, but it seems for the new E class, they moved the ipad back into the dash...hope they will continue that with other models. Here are some links to a couple reviews...Mode Carbons is really well written.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-c...de-carbon.html

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/privatel...o-the-C204-C63

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...es-design.html