AMG is doing it wrong.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
Originally Posted by legatolimo
It's always about cost cutting, but are we seeing the cost cutting in the prices of new vehicles? I don't think so. 145K for a new fully loaded S550 is pretty insane. S55 AMG didn't cost that much in 2006. I love German cars, but the way it's going I'll be leasing a Hyundai instead soon. I'm getting over the enjoyment of owning a luxury vehicle.

I'd still preffer to see a real exhaust on a vehicle of this caliber.
you dont see the "cost cutting" when they pass the vehicle on to the buyers for one reason, they add more and more feature onto the car. did you have all the gadgets and functions from your old car compared to the new one? they may have removed some but definitely added a few more. safety being a priority. take the upcoming W213 for example. i thought the the current E's interior is awesome but when I saw the new E interior, I was amazed.

now about the tips on new mercs...are any of you guys who complain about it 2 feet tall to actually see it? does it make any difference if the tips are real or not after she smokes your car and leaves you nothing but dust?

doesnt make any difference doesnt it? it still goes fast, probably faster than a lot of other 63's on here, makes the right sound, probably not as good as a V8 NA, but still good enough.

yeah yeah its not a V8 blah blah blah... if it does the job, (maybe even better), with less petrol consumption, why the hell not?

give it up fellows, its not like your bickering here will change anything. if you dont like, dont buy it.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
C63, GT3RS, 430 Scud, E63, CGT
i seen all the newer w205s with no exhaust at all. they have the chrome surround but the tail pipe is angled down

at least amg have hole for exhaust to come out of

Last edited by tpliquid; 12-09-2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 S430 4MATIC Sport, 2009 GT Zaskar MTB
Originally Posted by beejAMG
you dont see the "cost cutting" when they pass the vehicle on to the buyers for one reason, they add more and more feature onto the car. did you have all the gadgets and functions from your old car compared to the new one? they may have removed some but definitely added a few more. safety being a priority. take the upcoming W213 for example. i thought the the current E's interior is awesome but when I saw the new E interior, I was amazed.

now about the tips on new mercs...are any of you guys who complain about it 2 feet tall to actually see it? does it make any difference if the tips are real or not after she smokes your car and leaves you nothing but dust?

doesnt make any difference doesnt it? it still goes fast, probably faster than a lot of other 63's on here, makes the right sound, probably not as good as a V8 NA, but still good enough.

yeah yeah its not a V8 blah blah blah... if it does the job, (maybe even better), with less petrol consumption, why the hell not?

give it up fellows, its not like your bickering here will change anything. if you dont like, dont buy it.
Not arguing at all. The new interiors are amazing!
Old 12-09-2015, 11:08 PM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe
I think some of you guys go a bit hard and too personal on those that have a different opinion to you. If you want to have a go at someone there are always the M3 fanboys to abuse, now they deserve it more than your MB mates.
Life is too short.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E320 & X166
Originally Posted by tasho3
You are a little late to the party bud. Even the Lambo Gallardo had fake exhaust tips.

Even better, here is the mighty Veyron's exhaust:

Reason they do this is for a cleaner finish. Our 'real' exhaust tips leave a gap around them and the diffuser/bumper. The fake way it's a cleaner finish and eliminates exhaust vibration/heat transfer to the bumper.

Every manufacturer is doing this now

Good point! At least MB and the other examples shown her have properly aligned the exhause.... Did you see how far off the exhaust is vs. the tips on the Lexus!!!
Old 12-10-2015, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
5280 views of this post.... it seems a "few" car enthusiasts care about this cost cutting measure
Old 12-10-2015, 10:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,444 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by betrezra
5280 views of this post.... it seems a "few" car enthusiasts care about this cost cutting measure
Old 01-04-2016, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
CLA45 AMG

Originally Posted by snowmuch

So, this is the new gle coupe 63s with plastic exhaust tip and no quad exhaust. This is only adjustifible if you're buying an cheap eco box but this is an AMG ffs. Hiring that Hyundai designer definitely is not the right direction for Mercedes.

Why did I post it in the c63 forum? Because w205 amg is like that as well
My 2015 CLA45 AMG has the same basic design of the exhaust ports on both sides but only the right side is functional.
Cost and weight have to be factors. They only need on cat, one muffler and one resonator along with one pipe from the cat.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Wrong is still wrong

People that buy an AMG buy it for performance. Fake exhaust and misleading badging is to fool the uneducated buyer. It cheapens the brand. GLA 45 is a 2 liter engine. What's the logic there. If they want save weight use an aluminum hood and trunk lid. Ford built the F150 body of all aluminum without a crazy price increase.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Right. People buy an AMG for performance. And disconnected EXHAUST TIPS have absolutely ZERO effect on performance. People who claim to care foremost about performance, typically don't care about exhaust tips. At all.

It's not a "fake" exhaust people. The piping is still going to be the same diameter all the way from the headers to the mufflers. Disconnecting the exhaust tips has absolutely nothing to do with the performance or quality of the car.

Why does anyone care about this? Do you get some sort of satisfaction watching the little puffs coming out of your connected exhaust tips. When you can't even see it. While you're in the car. Driving.

134 posts on this inane nonsense. WHICH ISN'T EVEN RELEVANT TO THE W204 C63. You know the board is going to **** when this is a hot topic.

Last edited by BLKROKT; 01-05-2016 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
People that buy an AMG buy it for performance. Fake exhaust and misleading badging is to fool the uneducated buyer. It cheapens the brand. GLA 45 is a 2 liter engine. What's the logic there. If they want save weight use an aluminum hood and trunk lid. Ford built the F150 body of all aluminum without a crazy price increase.
The logic behind the 2L Turbo 4 is they get 355 hp out of those two liters and 334 ft lb of torque down at 2400 rpm.
The car goes like stink and is uncredibly stable on the road at speed.
I have had this car on the track and it is a blast.
I could care less if it has a fake pipe outlet on the left side. In fact having a right side only exhaust makes the sound on shifting while in S mode in wonderful.
If you don't have the experience with CLA45 AMG take a test drive. You will understand the logic.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Right. People buy an AMG for performance. And disconnected EXHAUST TIPS have absolutely ZERO effect on performance. People who claim to care foremost about performance, typically don't care about exhaust tips. At all.

It's not a "fake" exhaust people. The piping is still going to be the same diameter all the way from the headers to the mufflers. Disconnecting the exhaust tips has absolutely nothing to do with the performance or quality of the car.

Why does anyone care about this? Do you get some sort of satisfaction watching the little puffs coming out of your connected exhaust tips. When you can't even see it. While you're in the car. Driving.

134 posts on this inane nonsense. WHICH ISN'T EVEN RELEVANT TO THE W204 C63. You know the board is going to **** when this is a hot topic.
Actual I get satisfaction from dyno results. More airflow equals more power. Dual exhaust, twice the airflow. Also MBZ does not use headers on their engines. They use cast exhaust manifolds. Proper mandril bent and tig welded stainless steel tube headers use a four into one collectors to take advantage of exhaust pulses to create negative pressure. Of course with turbos integrated into the exhaust manifold, it doesn't matter.
Regarding the GLA 45, I did drive one. If Lotus built an SUV, this would be it, except the utlity part is lacking. No back seat room and little cargo space. I bought an SQ5 instead. Also there is more tuning potential in a 3 liter forced induction 6 cylinder than a 2 liter forced induction 4 cylinder. Yes the GLA 45 handles better, but having been to the AMG driving academy (among others) very few street drivers even know how to approach these limits.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clk Dtm c63 bs u wont wanna know the rest
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
The logic behind the 2L Turbo 4 is they get 355 hp out of those two liters and 334 ft lb of torque down at 2400 rpm.
The car goes like stink and is uncredibly stable on the road at speed.
I have had this car on the track and it is a blast.
I could care less if it has a fake pipe outlet on the left side. In fact having a right side only exhaust makes the sound on shifting while in S mode in wonderful.
If you don't have the experience with CLA45 AMG take a test drive. You will understand the logic.
I had the opportunity to test drive the CLA45 about a year ago for a week and i remember the exhaust note being one of the best sounding be it fake or forced induction.
Power wise i'm actually surprised that AMG can bring out this much from 2L (2 bottles of 1L coke please) producing 355bhp,handling is superb as well(like a M3).
The only reason it is inferior in comparison to the W204 or W205 is the lack of power in higher rpm as compared to the other 6.2L NA or 4.0L bi-turbo.
Having previously owned an E63S for a period(RHD model without 4matic),that car smokes a CBS in a rolling start race from 40-280 with so much room to fill maybe 2 cla45 in between the 2 cars(not including track).
I'm pretty sure AMG had excelled well in this department by creating a car with 2L that can put many Maserati owners to shame in terms of straight line performance

Therefore i would like to believe that the 1 man 1 engine is the motto of AMG and enjoy it as a community instead of competing who is the lesser mere mortal among the group who runs on smaller turbo or having mufflers not linked to the tips

Last edited by Mc81b; 01-08-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Mc81b
I had the opportunity to test drive the CLA45 about a year ago for a week and i remember the exhaust note being one of the best sounding be it fake or forced induction.
Power wise i'm actually surprised that AMG can bring out this much from 2L (2 bottles of 1L coke please) producing 355bhp,handling is superb as well(like a M3).
The only reason it is inferior in comparison to the W204 or W205 is the lack of power in higher rpm as compared to the other 6.2L NA or 4.0L bi-turbo.
Having previously owned an E63S for a period(RHD model without 4matic),that car smokes a CBS in a rolling start race from 40-280 with so much room to fill maybe 2 cla45 in between the 2 cars(not including track).
I'm pretty sure AMG had excelled well in this department by creating a car with 2L that can put many Maserati owners to shame in terms of straight line performance

Therefore i would like to believe that the 1 man 1 engine is the motto of AMG and enjoy it as a community instead of competing who is the lesser mere mortal among the group who runs on smaller turbo or having mufflers not linked to the tips
Then again this thing runs to 100kph in pretty quick time and to 180 in not much more and in this country that can land you in jail nearly as quick so having more power at higher revs and speeds to 240 is not where the fun is in a daily driver.
On a recent trip that takes us across Vancouver Island over twisty roads that go up and down valleys and through one town of some size, I was informed by the GPS it would take me 135 minutes to make the trip. While driving at excessive speeds in just not possible there is no law against driving hard at the max the road allows.
With 4 adults and luggage I made the run in 85 minutes and the car was like it was on rails. Now that is fun, and with it in S mode the exhaust note was there up and down the shifts. What could be better?
Old 01-09-2016, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
Then again this thing runs to 100kph in pretty quick time and to 180 in not much more and in this country that can land you in jail nearly as quick so having more power at higher revs and speeds to 240 is not where the fun is in a daily driver.
On a recent trip that takes us across Vancouver Island over twisty roads that go up and down valleys and through one town of some size, I was informed by the GPS it would take me 135 minutes to make the trip. While driving at excessive speeds in just not possible there is no law against driving hard at the max the road allows.
With 4 adults and luggage I made the run in 85 minutes and the car was like it was on rails. Now that is fun, and with it in S mode the exhaust note was there up and down the shifts. What could be better?
No dispute that the CLA45 is a good car!
Well,if in terms of legal speed limit,i'm pretty sure the CLA45 is a good car.
In terms of long highspeed run the CLA does not fair badly too especially from a 2L car(as i said it eats maserati or breakfast).
Handling wise its good but i would definitely not compare it to the others if we were to compare straightline performance or long duration tracking or permanent high speed drive as any other AMG from 4.0L onwards is better than that if you were to ask what could be better
No disputes there

Last edited by Mc81b; 01-09-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Mc81b
I agree CLA45 is a nice car but...you sure CLA45 handles like a M3...? w204 c63 can't even come close to that.

Last edited by snowmuch; 01-11-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by snowmuch
I agree CLA45 is a nice car but...you sure CLA45 handles like a M3...? w204 c63 can't even come close to that.
A M3 handling is based on their //M motto - Balance. (Not track inclusive, im using a road usage for comparison)
a M3 has no problem zipping in and out of traffic without getting themself into serious trouble as compared to the C63 which tends to give way trying to weave from left - right x 3 and u sort of lose your balance especially IF you're heavy on your throttle.
I can assure you this will not happen on a CLA45 or a M3.
Underpowered car that pushes themselves to the limit which also allows for handling capability
hehe
Old 12-27-2016, 05:42 PM

Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
2003 C320 coupe/c450 in Feb 2016
if it' only dual exhaust, why make it with fake quad tips? shouldnt it be better with dual tips?
Old 12-27-2016, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Everyone is trading on former glory

It's sad that both MBZ/AMG and BMW have gone to badge inflation and fake exhaust. (If both sides of the exhaust are functional, dual tips as styling exercise doesn't bother me). When I just read the specs on the GLC43 I was thinking wow they dropped the 4.3 V8 into that little SUV, what a blast. Upon further reading, a blown 2.0 four banger for 60k no thanks. Yeah the numbers look good, but you'll be flogging that thing just for daily driving. It's not gunna last very long. (I bought a Audi SQ5 instead. Threw a tune on it and it's at 400hp) I'll stick with my C63 normal aspirating tuned big block V8.

Last edited by DuaneC63; 12-27-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:24 AM

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2014 CLS63 S AMG
It's sad that both MBZ/AMG and BMW have gone to badge inflation and fake exhaust. (If both sides of the exhaust are functional, dual tips as styling exercise doesn't bother me). When I just read the specs on the GLC43 I was thinking wow they dropped the 4.3 V8 into that little SUV, what a blast. Upon further reading, a blown 2.0 four banger for 60k no thanks. Yeah the numbers look good, but you'll be flogging that thing just for daily driving. It's not gunna last very long. (I bought a Audi SQ5 instead. Threw a tune on it and it's at 400hp) I'll stick with my C63 normal aspirating tuned big block V8.
??? GLC43 has the same engine as C43 and E43 3.0 V6 Biturbo.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
I can never figure this out.
We are talking a car that sells well north of $90K CDN and yet we see this time and again. A few oz of weight in a car that ain't fuel efficienct against lesser cars, has a limited production run and they set out to save a dime per vehicle after amortizing the suppliers mold costs etc.
Better they ad $5 to the cost of the car and leave it the hell alone and the way buyers want these cars to be.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
I wish this thread would die. It's so gay to b1tch about 1/4" separation between the exhaust pipe and tip on the bumper.
The following users liked this post:
jshimer23 (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 905 Likes on 635 Posts
E63S | X5

To compare (and because this thread is dumb anyways)

SQ5:
MSRP $54,250
Supercharged 3L.
354hp/346tq.
0-60 in 5.2.
MPG 16/23
Cargo: 57.3 cu/ft

GLC43:
MSRP $54,900.
Twin Turbo 3L.
362hp/384tq.
0-60 in 4.8.
MPG 18/24
Cargo: 56.5 cu/ft

Hate to break it to ya, that "further reading" lead to buying the wrong car. I'll spend the extra $650 for a quicker, more powerful, more efficient machine and sacrifice the extra .8 cu/ft.

But hey, at least the c63 was a good pick
Old 12-28-2016, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 543 Likes on 479 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
No reason to be that all over this thread since it is kind of dumb.

If I had to say though, I do NOT like the fake tips.

Then again each side has its argument and honestly I would not choose to not buy a car because it has fake tips. It's not that big of a deal.