C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Renntech struts. Worth the money?

Old 01-27-2016, 12:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clk Dtm c63 bs u wont wanna know the rest
Renntech struts. Worth the money?

Am considering installing Renntech Strut front and back but not too sure of the rigidity effect with/without.
The closest i have driven a car with such spec and hp is the M3 GTS which i thinks handles perfectly well (Roll cage which was pretty useless).
Are the effect of the struts really that useful?
Old 01-27-2016, 12:53 PM

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts
W463
No.

With any Strut Bar/Brace you won't be able to feel the difference. Chassis is too new, maybe for older cars. There is a company in Japan called C.P.M, that makes an under chassis brace that replaces the stock one, it probably works better somehow since they are a highly regarded company that only specializes in chassis rigidity. Only reason why it peaked my interest is to stiffen up the chassis a bit to quite down the "creaking" in the car over odd dips and bumps in the road.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Check out this thread for some back-and-forth on this topic. https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...g-anymore.html

Basically, unless you're talking about a true 3-point strut brace (on both towers, and then ALSO attached to the firewall), these 2-point options such as the Renntech will do just about nothing. The hinged ones are even more useless. Expensive engine bay dress-up.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 184 Posts
C63 AMG
I have both of them, also had the opportunity to construct my own versions of these strut bars.

There's a few things the posters above me failed to mention, with a chassis as rigid as the C63's, lateral movements of soft moving parts of the suspension tend to ware more quickly. Not saying things will break, but they ware and soften up quicker.

Strut bars help relieve some of this lateral movement, I can attest from personal experiences owing the renntech bars and several aftermarket options, that I feel the car more confident during turn ins at speed. Placebo effect possibly, but its enough for me to enjoy the car near its limits and feel comfortable doing so.

Just my 02, really and truly these things are subjective. Unfortunately the Renntech pieces are astronomically priced. If the price of entry was more accommodating I would only assume you would see more members running them.

Renntech struts. Worth the money?-76783638-c9b4-4a22-a22c-c0ac150a97af.jpg
Old 01-27-2016, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

With all of the people that drive these specific cars on track, I have yet to meet ONE that uses strut tower bars. Just saying. I'm sure 2-point strut tower bars have some use for some type of terribly-constructed vehicle out there. Just not these, in my humble experience at least.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
I know you have substantial track experience bud, Im simply speaking from my road-going experience.

Again I would think the price of these things simply keep many people away. In the hierarchy of bang for your buck mods on our cars, these bars rank pretty low.

I was in the same predicament when I made the plunge on the Renntech throttle bodies, not much "real-world" experience with them simply because of costs not many members use them. I even posted the question here and many members advised against them. Again all in theory, let me tell you all something. Aside from the LSD I installed, the throttle bodies greatly changed the driving dynamic of the C63. Renntech claims 10WHP gain ( I haven't dyno'd them yet to see for myself) but I will know later this year when the car is out of storage. The neck snapping throttle response was worth the cost, the acceleration of the car improved tremendously.

IMHO driving dynamics play a huge role in the overall enjoyment of any car. how the individual modifications work together makes a world of difference.

Out of any company tuning Mercedes vehicles, I have utmost trust in Renntech.

Originally Posted by BLKROKT
With all of the people that drive these specific cars on track, I have yet to meet ONE that uses strut tower bars. Just saying. I'm sure 2-point strut tower bars have some use for some type of terribly-constructed vehicle out there. Just not these, in my humble experience at least.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clk Dtm c63 bs u wont wanna know the rest
Originally Posted by Kriston
I know you have substantial track experience bud, Im simply speaking from my road-going experience.

Again I would think the price of these things simply keep many people away. In the hierarchy of bang for your buck mods on our cars, these bars rank pretty low.

I was in the same predicament when I made the plunge on the Renntech throttle bodies, not much "real-world" experience with them simply because of costs not many members use them. I even posted the question here and many members advised against them. Again all in theory, let me tell you all something. Aside from the LSD I installed, the throttle bodies greatly changed the driving dynamic of the C63. Renntech claims 10WHP gain ( I haven't dyno'd them yet to see for myself) but I will know later this year when the car is out of storage. The neck snapping throttle response was worth the cost, the acceleration of the car improved tremendously.

IMHO driving dynamics play a huge role in the overall enjoyment of any car. how the individual modifications work together makes a world of difference.

Out of any company tuning Mercedes vehicles, I have utmost trust in Renntech.
Man you have expensive mods there mate!
I've a friend whose looking to sell his C63 and is letting go of all his aftermarket goodies.
Gruppe M RAM
Carbonio
Renntech Struts
Akrapovic
On the other side someone is looking to sell his full cargraphics system for the car.
Am considering plunging in as the price is good but not sure to put it into the BS or the Sedan.Had some personal experience with most of the mods and i would say it's a great improvement,but not so much that it's worth the dollars to hp ratio but this time round it's cheap so why not!
Old 01-28-2016, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
I build the car over time, small additions every year.

The beauty about our cars are they are robust from the factory. Its very difficult to extract much more from them without substantially changing the vehicle.

I have a personal goal for my car, its to stay Naturally aspirated, but my intentions are 500WHP and 430 LB TQ. Im almost there with the additions I have made.

I take the opinions of certain members in our community very seriously. They have had tremendous experience with these cars. However, when providing advice I chose to be very subjective. What works for me may not work for the next guy.

All in all its really a matter of opinion.

Originally Posted by Mc81b
I've a friend whose looking to sell his C63 and is letting go of all his aftermarket goodies.
Gruppe M RAM
Carbonio
Renntech Struts
Akrapovic
On the other side someone is looking to sell his full cargraphics system for the car.
Am considering plunging in as the price is good but not sure to put it into the BS or the Sedan.Had some personal experience with most of the mods and i would say it's a great improvement,but not so much that it's worth the dollars to hp ratio but this time round it's cheap so why not!
Old 01-29-2016, 05:11 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
C63AMG Coupe 507, GL X166
Why nobody uses Ultra Racing struts? For the price of one Renntech strut you can buy all struts Ultra Racing- that's 7 struts!
http://www.ultraracing.my/catalog/in...oller=category
For struts Renntech you overpay for carbon fiber! I agree Renntech looks very cool! Is it worth it? I don't know...
I think about buying the Ultra Racing struts.

Last edited by Alex-r-1; 01-29-2016 at 05:19 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
The ultra racing parts are made off shore. So quality of materials "may" not be as good.

Ultra also make all there parts out of steel and not aluminium. So weight / corrosion is a factor as well.

Originally Posted by Alex-r-1
Why nobody uses Ultra Racing struts? For the price of one Renntech strut you can buy all struts Ultra Racing- that's 7 struts!
For struts Renntech you overpay for carbon fiber! I agree Renntech looks very cool! Is it worth it? I don't know...
Old 01-29-2016, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 (wife's) E63 (mine) ML63 (gone)
Originally Posted by Mc81b
Gruppe M RAM
Carbonio
Renntech Struts
Akrapovic
Can I talk to your buddy ?
Old 02-26-2016, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Alex-r-1
Originally Posted by Kriston
The ultra racing parts are made off shore. So quality of materials "may" not be as good.
Ultra also make all there parts out of steel and not aluminium. So weight / corrosion is a factor as well.

I just had delivered all of the Ultra underbody bars. Will put these on sometime in March, and report back my initial impressions as well as after a couple trackdays. The bars are very sturdy and well-made. Good welds, tough enamel coating, the right mounting points, and the right material (steel) and size for them to actually make a difference. They were inexpensive enough that I thought I'd give them a shot.... we will see.

And for those of you wondering, you want bars like this made out of STEEL to sufficiently strengthen/secure. Lightweight is NOT what you are looking for in this application. Ultra Racing has a good reputation in the industry, and I don't care where they're made as long as they work. Will report back.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:15 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
W204 C63
Interesting. I'm right on the fence about order the RennTech Bars. I'm not truthfully looking for a huge improvement, I just really like the way they look, lol.

I'd like the Ultra Racing ones a bit better if they looked a bit nicer, but, to each their own.