C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

C63 P31 vs ATS-V

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 09:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
I took a ride in a friend's new CTS-V. The stock LT4 is putting down numbers in line with the C7 Z06 . Honestly, it is a night and day difference over the previous gen CTS-V's. GM got it right with the new class of V's.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CTS-V
Originally Posted by rentzington
that is some fairly impressive stock dyno results , very underrated from the factory if these are accurate.

Have you had a chance to drive the new cts and ats v?
Not yet.

I'm dying to get into a ATS-V though.

Tune, drag radials and down pipes.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:07 PM

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
2019 911 GTS / 2016 X3 / 2015 E63s / 1993 RX-7
Nice to see such awesome gains from a tune

Reminds me of the old RX-7 Turbo II that would pick up 60 hp with exhaust work .

My colleague has a CTS-V and it is an impressive vehicle to drive. My favorite part is the manual transmission and the Recaro seats.

I am definitely looking forward to driving the ATS-V.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:17 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
a meth kit is no where near stock and is basically nitrous for turbo motors ...i use to run meth in my old 1jz motor ..you can't really say that ATS-V is tune/down pipe only lol and if the meth pump fails good night motor ... anyone can crank the PSI up to crazy numbers with turbos, but how long will it last? it's all fun and games until someone blows a turbo or two out

Last edited by avery.whss; 02-03-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:41 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS63S
To answer OP's question

It will be a great run, you may come out on top if it is stock to stock. Depends on dig or roll.

Full Bolt-on vs Full Bolt-on? ATS-V hands down.

Originally Posted by avery.whss
a meth kit is no where near stock and is basically nitrous for turbo motors ...i use to run meth in my old 1jz motor ..you can't really say that ATS-V is tune/down pipe only lol and if the meth pump fails good night motor ... anyone can crank the PSI up to crazy numbers with turbos, but how long will it last? it's all fun and games until someone blows a turbo or two out
According to people who have tuned this car, Fasterproms isnt pushing the psi much at 19 psi. There are other tuners (NewEra Performance) who are into 20+psi on the motor already. The car in the video below is already putting down Weistec-like C63 numbers on a pump gas tune with no meth. I doubt they are using the meth in much capacity (if at all) during this run. It is probably to help out in hot laps. I wouldnt be surprised if they were just using it as a water wetter.

Last edited by johnnyblaze; 02-03-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
I can walk to New Era from my house in about 2 minutes. They have some SERIOUS machines coming out of that place.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 P30
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
I can walk to New Era from my house in about 2 minutes. They have some SERIOUS machines coming out of that place.
hell of a lot cheaper to go mod crazy on a caddy too.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:09 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG

Really? Nice.

ATS-V looks good for a contender for next car. Although I am considering GTRs as well.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A V8
the astv is 6 cylinders? johnny that ****ing car sounded BOSSSS.

wow, very impressive.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 P30
Originally Posted by solekeeper
the astv is 6 cylinders? johnny that ****ing car sounded BOSSSS.

wow, very impressive.

yeah i thought the same thing, sounded like a v8
Old 02-04-2016, 10:28 AM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
2006 C55
Originally Posted by PetroC63
Not yet.

I'm dying to get into a ATS-V though.

Tune, drag radials and down pipes.
Fasterproms MANUAL Atsv runs 10.7 @ 130.64mph! - YouTube
Damn, that sounds really good for a V6 caddy.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CTS-V
Originally Posted by Settthhh
Damn, that sounds really good for a V6 caddy.
It does sound good. GM did a good job with that car. They need to spruce up the gauges and interior a bit in my opinion.

Keep in mind that Fasterprom car is a manual. The 8 speed auto is quicker and should be a couple of tents faster in the 1/4 mile.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by PetroC63
It does sound good. GM did a good job with that car. They need to spruce up the gauges and interior a bit in my opinion.

Keep in mind that Fasterprom car is a manual. The 8 speed auto is quicker and should be a couple of tents faster in the 1/4 mile.
Yea, unfortunately that auto is boring as hell IMO. Ive driven that zf 8 speed more than once. Just doesnt do it for me like a manual does. Even DCT/PDK transmissions feel much more engaging.

That being said the fact that they offer a manual is awesome and a reason I may end up in a ATS-V or CTS-V one day.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CTS-V
Originally Posted by ENVē
Yea, unfortunately that auto is boring as hell IMO. Ive driven that zf 8 speed more than once. Just doesnt do it for me like a manual does. Even DCT/PDK transmissions feel much more engaging.

That being said the fact that they offer a manual is awesome and a reason I may end up in a ATS-V or CTS-V one day.
No doubt the manual is more fun. For 1/4 mile racers though the automatic is the better option. It is great that they offer both.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:23 PM

Received 205 Likes on 146 Posts
C63 amg Custom 67 Camaro GLK 350 4matic 2017 AMG GTS
So a buddy of mine is picking up a new ATS-V I had no idea about the specs on those things. Seems it may be a real competitor for our good old W204 AMGs. He swears it will beat my car in every aspect. Looking at the numbers I realize straight line performance will be pretty even but handling, that thing pulls 1.04G on skid. So handling will be a joke. Im a better driver than him so I know Ill have more of a chance at the track in the summer, but that magnetic suspension is no joke.

I guess Ill win on sound and displacement haha. Im looking forward to trying his out when he picks it up. You guys run one of those yet?

The new ATS-V is an interesting car. It's built better than a vette, that's for sure, but having said that, it's still not a well built car. The interior is cheap and the "que" info system is garbage and slow.
Also they stuff a wider softer tire on the ATS-V. I was able to drive one last year in Monterey and was not that impressed with the build quality.

But the car is a GM, which as a car company I would not touch with a 10 foot poll currently.
If you are going on numbers alone, you can just put a tune on the Merc and be even and put on a set of PSC 2's and pretty much match it performance wise. It will always be up to the driver after that.
But then you have the much better car in the Merc.
Someone said in this thread that the C-class is the bottom line in the Merc line and that everything is from other higher end models.
Well is that really a bad thing? It was a silly comment, but Mercedes cars in general are really damn good, so taking parts off of the higher end models for the C63 is a good thing, not a bad thing. In fact the C-class car is a really good car for the price.

If it were me, you put a tune, some nicer rubber on it and you have a car that rides better, has a much higher quality in interior and build components and is just as fast or really close to it and you don't have to own a GM car.

GM builds their performance line of cars like the Camaro, Corvette and Caddy with numbers in mind, not driving excitement or any soul to their cars. Their like driving a robot. And not a good robot at that. Id rather be a 10th of a second behind than have to live with a caddy. That's my 2 cents.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
ATS-V is $10 grand less than a 2016 C63s I just built. And the CTS-V is over $15 grand more than that.

I don't really give a shi+ what the ATS-V runs because nothing will compensate for the lack of quality and archaic engine platform. Yah the parts might be a bit cheaper, but you will pay for it in reliability.

GM has already said they will be replacing the 8SPD in the Z06's due to quality issues.

I think to pay $70-80K for an ATS-V is insane. Thats over $15k more than a Hellcat and the quality is on par.

Most people don't buy cars based on magazine groupings/comparisons....they buy them based on price point and features.

Put a tire and a tune on your C63s and you will never second guess buying an ATS-V
Old 02-04-2016, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A V8
so is the ctsv quality going to be as ****yy as the atsv?

i haven't gotten the chance to inspect either yet..
Old 02-04-2016, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mazspeed
The new ATS-V is an interesting car. It's built better than a vette, that's for sure, but having said that, it's still not a well built car. The interior is cheap and the "que" info system is garbage and slow.
Also they stuff a wider softer tire on the ATS-V. I was able to drive one last year in Monterey and was not that impressed with the build quality.

But the car is a GM, which as a car company I would not touch with a 10 foot poll currently.
If you are going on numbers alone, you can just put a tune on the Merc and be even and put on a set of PSC 2's and pretty much match it performance wise. It will always be up to the driver after that.
But then you have the much better car in the Merc.
Someone said in this thread that the C-class is the bottom line in the Merc line and that everything is from other higher end models.
Well is that really a bad thing? It was a silly comment, but Mercedes cars in general are really damn good, so taking parts off of the higher end models for the C63 is a good thing, not a bad thing. In fact the C-class car is a really good car for the price.

If it were me, you put a tune, some nicer rubber on it and you have a car that rides better, has a much higher quality in interior and build components and is just as fast or really close to it and you don't have to own a GM car.

GM builds their performance line of cars like the Camaro, Corvette and Caddy with numbers in mind, not driving excitement or any soul to their cars. Their like driving a robot. And not a good robot at that. Id rather be a 10th of a second behind than have to live with a caddy. That's my 2 cents.
Originally Posted by callmiro
ATS-V is $10 grand less than a 2016 C63s I just built. And the CTS-V is over $15 grand more than that.

I don't really give a shi+ what the ATS-V runs because nothing will compensate for the lack of quality and archaic engine platform. Yah the parts might be a bit cheaper, but you will pay for it in reliability.

GM has already said they will be replacing the 8SPD in the Z06's due to quality issues.

I think to pay $70-80K for an ATS-V is insane. Thats over $15k more than a Hellcat and the quality is on par.

Most people don't buy cars based on magazine groupings/comparisons....they buy them based on price point and features.

Put a tire and a tune on your C63s and you will never second guess buying an ATS-V

Both very good posts. I like the manual option but if I were choosing between a GTR or ATS-V it would be GTR hands down. I sat in an ATS V today, base model. Interior is ****. You have to load this thing out to have a semi decent interior. Also, CUE... Junk.

I think the only GM product I would buy (which I thought about) is a C6 Z06 and go full bolt ons. At least it is a car that has a decent interior for a track car.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Both very good posts. I like the manual option but if I were choosing between a GTR or ATS-V it would be GTR hands down. I sat in an ATS V today, base model. Interior is ****. You have to load this thing out to have a semi decent interior. Also, CUE... Junk.

I think the only GM product I would buy (which I thought about) is a C6 Z06 and go full bolt ons. At least it is a car that has a decent interior for a track car.
Agree, those posts are spot on. I wouldn't be caught dead owning a GM car. I was forced to rent one recently, and it was one of the worst driving experiences of my life - engine, trans, user interface, ergonomics, all of it was horrible.

BUT a GTR is not even in the same comparison class. The interior of the GTR is nothing to write home about, and it went into my thinking when I was sortof between the C63 or an older R35 GTR or 996/7TT.

Would never get a C6 Z06 with the problems they've been having on track, and terrible build quality. Although they do go like stink when they work. Plus I don't have enough chest hair or gold chains to own one.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT

Would never get a C6 Z06 with the problems they've been having on track, and terrible build quality. Although they do go like stink when they work. Plus I don't have enough chest hair or gold chains to own one.
I have the chest hair but not the chains haha. The Z06 you have been seeing having problems is the new C7 Z06 I am talking about the C6 Z06 with the normally aspirated 6.2 V8 in it. With a tire swap they run 10s, sound fantastic and handle very well. I would be looking at 2010-2012 models. Even the LS3 equipped Z51 package C6 Vette in manual are incredible performers and take excellently to mods. Guy who sold me my C63 has a 2012 Z06 with heads, cams, headers, intake, tune, and tires. He runs 9.7s 1/4 all day long with no issues. They build those Vettes with all the cooling needed. The newer c7 Z06 is fast as hell but had some serious cooling issues with that supercharger. GM just fixed it but i would still want the N/A one.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:36 PM

I have the chest hair but not the chains haha. The Z06 you have been seeing having problems is the new C7 Z06 I am talking about the C6 Z06 with the normally aspirated 6.2 V8 in it. With a tire swap they run 10s, sound fantastic and handle very well. I would be looking at 2010-2012 models. Even the LS3 equipped Z51 package C6 Vette in manual are incredible performers and take excellently to mods. Guy who sold me my C63 has a 2012 Z06 with heads, cams, headers, intake, tune, and tires. He runs 9.7s 1/4 all day long with no issues. They build those Vettes with all the cooling needed. The newer c7 Z06 is fast as hell but had some serious cooling issues with that supercharger. GM just fixed it but i would still want the N/A one.

I don't think either car, the C6 or the C7 are even close to what I would call a decent car. ****ty build quality has doomed that car. I have driven both at Laguna Seca and the C6 in my opinion is a better performer than the C7. The reason why I say that is you only will get a few good laps out of the C7 ZO6 before it's heat issue takes over from a number of sources and kills the power. Plus the rear end of the C7 is very loose. Maybe I had some bad PSC 2's but it felt dangerous even near the limit and it was all I could do to maintain a good line in and out of a turn.
The seats in a C7 are better than a C6 but still not up to par. Paint and body fitment issues are abundant. The computer is on par with a commodore 64 from the 80's. The supercharger is too small for the volume of the engine and is overworked so it pushes in too much heat. The exhaust system always has a burning smell and when hot sounds like it is leaking. The interior while better than the C6 (not saying much there) is still not even close to on par with any European car company, let alone Mercedes. More and more problems are happening with that car and it's beginning to be a huge problem for GM. Check out the vette forums.
My advice is, if you just want a fast track car, go buy a viper. It's much more reliable than the new vette, it's faster and better put together. Yes it's not comfortable, but if numbers are your thing, that's the best bang for the buck you can get.

If you want quality and style and top notch interiors with real technology and a tested platform, anything from Europe is going to be better than anything from the US right now.
I keep hoping GM will get rid of the lawyers and bean counters that make the final decisions and let the engineers go nuts, but they are so heavily held back, you end up with this POS vette you see now.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:42 PM

I don't think either car, the C6 or the C7 are even close to what I would call a decent car. ****ty build quality has doomed that car. I have driven both at Laguna Seca and the C6 in my opinion is a better performer than the C7. The reason why I say that is you only will get a few good laps out of the C7 ZO6 before it's heat issue takes over from a number of sources and kills the power. Plus the rear end of the C7 is very loose. Maybe I had some bad PSC 2's but it felt dangerous even near the limit and it was all I could do to maintain a good line in and out of a turn.
The seats in a C7 are better than a C6 but still not up to par. Paint and body fitment issues are abundant. The computer is on par with a commodore 64 from the 80's. The supercharger is too small for the volume of the engine and is overworked so it pushes in too much heat. The exhaust system always has a burning smell and when hot sounds like it is leaking. The interior while better than the C6 (not saying much there) is still not even close to on par with any European car company, let alone Mercedes. More and more problems are happening with that car and it's beginning to be a huge problem for GM. Check out the vette forums.
My advice is, if you just want a fast track car, go buy a viper. It's much more reliable than the new vette, it's faster and better put together. Yes it's not comfortable, but if numbers are your thing, that's the best bang for the buck you can get.

If you want quality and style and top notch interiors with real technology and a tested platform, anything from Europe is going to be better than anything from the US right now.
I keep hoping GM will get rid of the lawyers and bean counters that make the final decisions and let the engineers go nuts, but they are so heavily held back, you end up with this POS vette you see now.

I love the new Viper but I cannot afford the T/A or ACR and those are the only 2 I would want. I am not looking for an incredible interior from a track car. Also, I believe GM corrected the cooling issue in the C7 Z06 and it has now become the better of the two but I would still prefer C6 Z06 for a track car. Also, you can get C6 Z06 for low 40s high 30s now. IMO best bang for the buck if you want an easily moddable performer with nice looks, good sound, and large collection of mods.

If Vipers depreciate hard though, Ill be in one someday. Although hard to deny AMG GTS and R8s. But for the money the c6 Z06 performs with those for a quarter of the price.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:08 PM

I love the new Viper but I cannot afford the T/A or ACR and those are the only 2 I would want. I am not looking for an incredible interior from a track car. Also, I believe GM corrected the cooling issue in the C7 Z06 and it has now become the better of the two but I would still prefer C6 Z06 for a track car. Also, you can get C6 Z06 for low 40s high 30s now. IMO best bang for the buck if you want an easily moddable performer with nice looks, good sound, and large collection of mods.

If Vipers depreciate hard though, Ill be in one someday. Although hard to deny AMG GTS and R8s. But for the money the c6 Z06 performs with those for a quarter of the price.
Ok, well GM has not fixed the heating issue in the C7 Z06. That is absolutely not true. I don't know where you got that, but I can tell you they have not, nor do they intend to fix it. They put out a press release saying the heating issues are from abusing the car on the track and that most of the buyers will not see the track. Many forum guys have said you can fix it with an ECU change. This doesn't fix the heating issues, all it does it bypass the safeguard GM has put in so that your car will last longer. Putting that modded ECU in will end up frying your car and you won't be covered. If you really want a vette, I would go for the C6 LS7 car if you can find one. Of all the crappy vettes, that's by far the best one. Yes the c6 does perform as well as some of those cars, but there is a reason why their cheaper. If anyone who truly knows cars had a choice between a c6 or c7 and the AMG GT or R8, one would have to be mentally retarded to pick the vette or you would have to be a vette fanboy, which to be honest I cannot tell the difference between the 2.
How often are you really going to track the car? I mean honestly?
It may be the best bang for the buck on the track, but on the street where you are going to drive it 99.9 percent of the time, those other cars are in many classes above the vette in quality, reliability and resale. By the way, the C6 is easier to control on the track than the C7.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:19 PM

Ok, well GM has not fixed the heating issue in the C7 Z06. That is absolutely not true. I don't know where you got that, but I can tell you they have not, nor do they intend to fix it. They put out a press release saying the heating issues are from abusing the car on the track and that most of the buyers will not see the track. Many forum guys have said you can fix it with an ECU change. This doesn't fix the heating issues, all it does it bypass the safeguard GM has put in so that your car will last longer. Putting that modded ECU in will end up frying your car and you won't be covered. If you really want a vette, I would go for the C6 LS7 car if you can find one. Of all the crappy vettes, that's by far the best one. Yes the c6 does perform as well as some of those cars, but there is a reason why their cheaper. If anyone who truly knows cars had a choice between a c6 or c7 and the AMG GT or R8, one would have to be mentally retarded to pick the vette or you would have to be a vette fanboy, which to be honest I cannot tell the difference between the 2.
How often are you really going to track the car? I mean honestly?
It may be the best bang for the buck on the track, but on the street where you are going to drive it 99.9 percent of the time, those other cars are in many classes above the vette in quality, reliability and resale. By the way, the C6 is easier to control on the track than the C7.
Yea I do not see where we disagreed. I said a C6 Z06 which is the LS7 car is the best for the money. I do multiple track events in the summer and I am a Skip barber graduate. My point was only that for $40k it is an incredible performer. If money was no option I would be in many a different car. My statement was not to sit here and argue. I could get in a FBO C6 Z06 and spank 90% of the cars on the street including many C63s like my own.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:21 PM

Here are more issues with the car. GM said that their new 8 speed transmission was the end all and better and faster than Porsche's PDK. They not only lied about that, but now that transmission is failing on the street and on the track. Now GM says if you're going to go on the track, don't use out new awesome 8 speed track transmission on the track. Typical GM. GM should be renamed UD, for Under Developed.

http://www.tflcar.com/2015/09/2015-c...issions-fault/

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/...ngine-problem/

http://horsepowerkings.com/gm-respon...-shortcomings/

http://www.torquenews.com/106/corvet...ed-motor-trend

In each link, GM has a different take on why these cars are screwing up. Each time it's tested, they have problems, yet GM blames one small thing or another. In the motor trend test which I did not include, they said that the car Randy Prost tested was not only crashed, but the brakes were never changed. They use every excuse in the world to try and tell you that their car is good, and all these issues are the fault of someone or something weird that won't happen to the guy who goes into the dealership and buys one.

Right GM.

Worth a read....... http://corvettec7fiasco.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Mazspeed; 02-06-2016 at 10:29 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63 P31 vs ATS-V