Sponsored by:

New tires on the 63, pleased so far

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 01:14 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
'18 Audi A4
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Nexans are SOUTH Korean. I take great offense to that, they are separate. I demand an apology too.

...... (jk)

Some people need to lighten up where there was clearly no offense meant

Tell China that Taiwan isn't China and see what kind of reaction you get. Jeez people...
well if you really want to get technical its Republic Of Korea (ROK for the south) and Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea (DPRK for the north) and I still laugh at the Democratic part.

Joking aside though, definitely no harm was meant when discussing the countries of origin. No different than folks referring to "the states" or "America" when referring to the US of A.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:17 PM

'18 Audi A4
Originally Posted by Diabolis
Nankangs are Chinese (Taiwan). Nexens are Korean (although most of the manufacture is in China). Nittos are Japanese and are made by the same comany as Toyos.

Quality and performance-wise, in general Nankang < Nexen < Nitto/Toyo.
Thanks for clarifying that. No countries were really hurt during this message.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 C63 AMG
So...can anyone comment on road noise when driving for a couple hours on a boring freeway?
Old 02-25-2016, 02:21 PM

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts
Multiple
$350 for a set of 4 tires sounds a lot like a bolt on air filter that nets 35 hp.

However, I will try and keep an open mind. Anyone other than OP who has used these should post up.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:06 AM

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
Originally Posted by tglems
So...can anyone comment on road noise when driving for a couple hours on a boring freeway?
They are silent
They are smooth
They hook very well
They turn in very well
I have 2200mi on them and have enjoyed every one(and I have had a LOT of rain locally)
At this point I would be around 20% through a set of rears but thank god for redoing the rear setup so now I'm getting MUCH better tire wear... I don't garage my vehicles I drive them, all the time....even when premium was $4.40 gal and I had my apparently uncouth SRT that got 10mpg, I drove that *****....hard....on Dilentes no less. Some of you guys must have been born with silver spoons in your mouths(which I'm SURE tore your Mama out of the frame), but I work too damn hard for my money to be frivolous with it....these are good tires, if they weren't I wouldn't let my son so much as sit in it...nor would I sell them for anyone else to do the same
Old 02-26-2016, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so far ive had the michelin pss for a few days and they are head and shoulders above the oem ontis. the ride is smoother, quieter, they offer so much more traction on take offs, and im not talking brutal launches, just taking off from a stop, it feels more composed on my usual daily commute. i put 400km a week on my daily drive, and the pss are a superior tyre.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:21 AM

'18 Audi A4
I was looking at the specs of the NS-20, 360 treadwear rating for our sizes. Can't really find the compound mixture but so far, they seem like a nice daily driver tire from many of the reviews but not many reviews from high powered cars.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:38 AM

'18 Audi A4
Anyone else notice the speed rating of the NS-20 nobles? It's H (130 mph) so that might be a reason for the pricing due to most tires in this segment are rated at higher speed ratings.
I understand most will never go above 130 but I wonder if that will make a difference for some. As a DD I think it's would be a good compromise.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Nexans are SOUTH Korean. I take great offense to that, they are separate. I demand an apology too.

...... (jk)

Some people need to lighten up where there was clearly no offense meant

Tell China that Taiwan isn't China and see what kind of reaction you get. Jeez people...
Amen
Old 02-29-2016, 05:54 PM

Received 116 Likes on 71 Posts
2009 c63
Originally Posted by ENV²
I agree with this statement

Back off topic... safety first...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-dang...s-in-footwear/
Old 02-29-2016, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
The Best
Old 02-29-2016, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 798 Likes on 548 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Okay... I concede that flip-flops are apparently just as unsafe as Nankang tires, so my original comparison stands valid.

And, here's the only testing thread I could find - it mentions the Nankangs near the end: http://forums.consumerreports.org/di...1&nav=messages

Some are made in Taiwan and others in China (not adding insult to injury) and apparently they do suck (relevant excerpt below):

Krzysztof_Szemiot
# 3734.10(10 of 21)
# 10
Replied to: DEXTER_MARCELLIN
7/5/13 2:32 PM

7/5/13 2:32 PM
Then try google and some German tests.
Like this one
http://www.autobild.de/bilder/20-zoeller-im-test-245-30-r-20-2899011.html
It is not exactly the tire you are looking at but results for highperformance tire are:

"Nankang NS 2 Ultra Sport • Strengths: low rolling resistance • Weaknesses: dangerously extended braking distances on wet track, understeer wet handling, reduced steering precision, noisy, uncomfortable rolling • Price: 150 € • rating: not recommended. "
Thanks Google translate!
If their best tire is like this imagine what lesser ones can or rather cannot do.
Krzys

Mark_Miller
# 3734.11(11 of 21)
# 11
Replied to: DEXTER_MARCELLIN
7/5/13 4:18 PM

7/5/13 4:18 PM
Dexter,
First, welcome back from a fellow New Yorker!
Generally speaking, I would avoid Nankang and similar low-end imports like Infinity. I'm not a big fan of Nexen either but at least the Nexen N8000 is a decent offering, and CR thought highly of the H-speed-rated Nexen CP672.
There are plenty of other manufacturers that make some decent, value-oriented tires including Hankook, Nitto, Kumho, Toyo and Sumitomo. Tell us the year, make & model of your vehicle and we can recommend some excellent all-season performance tires (unless you're like me and want dedicated summer & winter tires).
As for why Consumer Reports hasn't reviewed Nankang yet... they can't review them all.
-Mark
Old 02-29-2016, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
And a couple of others:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/60...s-warning.html

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/51...ang-tires.html

Enjoy your cheap tires!

P.S. And two more:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/any...tyres.1597147/

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Nankang/NS2.htm - and keep in mind that these are on ~120 hp, 2,800 lb compact cars... not 450+ hp, 4,000 lb monsters.

Yeah, they're an awesome deal.

Last edited by Diabolis; 02-29-2016 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:02 AM

My bad guys as I must stand corrected on this thread, the tires have shown their true colors and unfortunately....I have died. But I will say postmortem that I'm still very pleased with the tires and confident in their abilities, even though as I said, they have killed me...

I read all the consumer report threads prior to installing and they didn't sway me as it is just one guy with a name brand tire fetish who had never even seen a set in person but felt compelled to condemn them solely based on the fact that they weren't a brand he would spend his money on...in retrospect his comments mirror those here pretty spot on....but to add fuel to the fire I provide the following:
http://nickscarblog.com/tires/nankang-noble-sport-ns-20-review
Old 03-01-2016, 03:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You know - now you're really starting to be a pest. This is NOT a commercial thread for you to peddle your junk. If you want to promote your crap tires here, please feel free to become a site sponsor and then you can post in the "Vendor Classifieds" section all you want. They don't have the speed rating for a C63, they don't have the load rating for a C63, but yeah, they're freakin' awesome tires. We all got it. You're tickled pink with your tires. Good for you. Why do you keep trying to convince everyone just how freakin' great they are?

And, you managed to find a review of one guy who had them on for a day and was happy with them in the dry... but everyone who has tested them or had them on for a couple of years and noticed they're crap, outright dangerous in the wet and/or falling apart after two years is wrong. In 15+ years of motorsports I alone have probably used and wrecked more tires than you've ever sold or been near, not to mention all the guys that I've been riding with or instructing with various car clubs... but yeah, I am biased and have a tire fetish.

Get a life and move on - or if you've already died, have the decency to stay dead. Zombies pi$$ me off.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:14 AM

'18 Audi A4
lmao, man diabolis, the gloves came off. And here I am with no popcorn.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
You know - now you're really starting to be a pest. This is NOT a commercial thread for you to peddle your junk.
Chill, bud. Like you, I wouldn't touch these tires with a ten foot pole. You've done a great job of helping readers understand that these are not rated for a car like ours and that using them presents some serious compromises. However, there are a lot of other owners who are not as **** as we are about tires, who grandma around and never stress their tires, who are more focused on tire cost than performance (or, dare I say, safety). JPT seems to have a lot of experience with lower-end tires and he seems to have found one that is not as crappy as most cheap tires. He comes across as offering to share that insight to the community, and not as someone who is trying to sell us anything. I've not seen anything that mentions a business name or location - nothing commercial at all. No need to be hating on him just because he's got a different focus.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
I'm here for the partaaaay
Old 03-01-2016, 05:42 PM

You know - now you're really starting to be a pest. This is NOT a commercial thread for you to peddle your junk. If you want to promote your crap tires here, please feel free to become a site sponsor and then you can post in the "Vendor Classifieds" section all you want. They don't have the speed rating for a C63, they don't have the load rating for a C63, but yeah, they're freakin' awesome tires. We all got it. You're tickled pink with your tires. Good for you. Why do you keep trying to convince everyone just how freakin' great they are?

And, you managed to find a review of one guy who had them on for a day and was happy with them in the dry... but everyone who has tested them or had them on for a couple of years and noticed they're crap, outright dangerous in the wet and/or falling apart after two years is wrong. In 15+ years of motorsports I alone have probably used and wrecked more tires than you've ever sold or been near, not to mention all the guys that I've been riding with or instructing with various car clubs... but yeah, I am biased and have a tire fetish.

Get a life and move on - or if you've already died, have the decency to stay dead. Zombies pi$$ me off.
A message board pisses you off? Damn the police must get tired of the domestic abuse calls from your wife....also, I have not pedalled a damn thing. Considering I am a daily driver of my cars, as I imagine lots of members are, I know what it is like to spend WAY too much money on tires due to the alignment setup on the rear of our cars...if anyone else is like me, driving 5-6,000mi per month, then they know the trade-off of having to put new tires on literally every 6wks...when I want to play hard I bolt on my other wheels/tires and let it eat, but for DD duty these tires are MORE than sufficient...if it's not for you that's fine, I'm the same way about other things, but if that's the case just shut the **** up and unsubscribe to this thread