C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

New tires on the 63, pleased so far

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 03:45 PM

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
New tires on the 63, pleased so far

I have been in the tire game for SEVERAL years now and have always enjoyed finding cost effective alternatives to the status quo for myself and other drivers.....I turned the SRT crowd onto the Dilente D8 tires and they literally lost the ability to keep up with NA demand in the 275-315 sizes.....this may turn out to be the same....was going through my distributor's sizes and came across the Nankang Noble NS-20...they offer it in factory size and also 245/40/18, 265/35/18 and 275/35/18.......I went the 245-275 route and am tickled so far.....$350 per set shipped is pretty hard to argue with considering how frequently we need new shoes anyway....I'll keep you guys updated as to how they hook, handle and wear....and this isn't an ad, I only sell locally... Just some info for you guys about some potential options for tires....

Old 02-15-2016, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Those straight pipes
Old 02-15-2016, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Those straight pipes
Man you KNOW they are....no secondaries, xpipe, factory reso and rear mufflers piped....sounds like liquid sex.....not TOO loud either
Old 02-15-2016, 04:49 PM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
2010 C63
Old 02-15-2016, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
I noticed the pipes too. Can we get a few videos please? Cold start, revs and maybe some drive bys with WOT and a downshift/overrun?
Old 02-15-2016, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
I noticed the pipes too. Can we get a few videos please? Cold start, revs and maybe some drive bys with WOT and a downshift/overrun?
Yeah I can work that out...I've got an exhaust thread from a while back...I'll load them there when I get them and link it from here....deal?
Old 02-15-2016, 11:36 PM

Ok so this afternoon I took to the roads around my place(keep in mind I'm in rural south Georgia with no one for MILES and MILES which means i get to really carve up some pavement) and have to say I am more than satisfied....first off they ride smooth as glass(the most off corner only took 1/2oz of weight to balance)...they hook really strong from a dig(not as good as the M/T Street Comp that were on their but better than the Falkens from before) and they hold better than great in the twisties........all in all I'm stoked right now all the way around

Last edited by jptaylor; 02-15-2016 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Can you really compare them to, say, a nice set of Bridgestones?

I totally get the idea of cheap tires for people who don't utilize the full potential of higher end tires, but I just don't see how people can honestly compare Nankangs, Delintes, Linglongs, Triangles, etc to a real tire. I've driven many cars on many tires, and cheap tires are just not the same to me.

I am realistic though and know there can be some really great tires out there for less, just thinking out loud.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Can you really compare them to, say, a nice set of Bridgestones?

I totally get the idea of cheap tires for people who don't utilize the full potential of higher end tires, but I just don't see how people can honestly compare Nankangs, Delintes, Linglongs, Triangles, etc to a real tire. I've driven many cars on many tires, and cheap tires are just not the same to me.

I am realistic though and know there can be some really great tires out there for less, just thinking out loud.
I get where you are coming from with that and if we were talking about mostly track miles only mostly tracked cars I would second your out loud thought all the way.....I have owned several mostly tracked cars in the past and will say that when it comes down to tenths or hundredths mattering then Pilots or Asymetricos DO make all the difference in the world, but how many cars on this forum have ever actually driven one lap on a road course? I'd say less than 10% and feel strong about that....the most tire testing scenario that the majority of our cars see is either a traffic light pull or a spirited run through a lonesome set of curves that you feel you won't get a ticket for enjoying just a little to fast....and in thesr limited situations can you honestly tell the difference between these and a set of Pilots? I would say no...and if you asked me if I could feel $1500 worth of difference I'd say hell no.....these are NOT for track day warriors, but for the rest of us I think they are great, just as I do my Dilentes, Atturos and Vreds
Old 02-16-2016, 01:26 AM
TIR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63
So $700 for all 4?
Old 02-16-2016, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by TIR
So $700 for all 4?
No, $350 for all 4
(2) 245/40/18
(2) 275/35/18

Discount Tire has them a good bit of the time with free shipping and a 40k mi warranty as well(which we'll never see but at this cost you could buy new tires every 3mo and STILL be ahead)
Old 02-16-2016, 01:37 AM

....all it takes is for one other person to strap them on and report back and I promise it will spread like wildfire
Old 02-16-2016, 01:47 AM
TIR

C63
Wow seems like a really good deal. Question would be how well they hold up. I guess we will have to see. You're right, most people that don't track the car and use it for daily then it really doenst matter. It amazes me sometime when I see people sometimes spend double $$ for 5% gain (I'm not saying this is the case with this thread, just eg). Sometimes you have to step back and see what you gain for what you pay...
Old 02-16-2016, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by TIR
Wow seems like a really good deal. Question would be how well they hold up. I guess we will have to see. You're right, most people that don't track the car and use it for daily then it really doenst matter. It amazes me sometime when I see people sometimes spend double $$ for 5% gain (I'm not saying this is the case with this thread, just eg). Sometimes you have to step back and see what you gain for what you pay...
I think that was well said, and time will tell about these...I was skeptical about the Dilentes as well when I was in the Jeep SRT scene but after 2 sets going just over 50k each and still being able to hook 1.40 60s AND drive in the rain I was sold...I see LOTS of tires and they are not all made the same, these seem to be good quality.....and I always try to remind myself that there is a difference between cheap and inexpensive
Old 02-16-2016, 06:51 AM

in australia, we have had the nankangs range for a while. personally, i would never use them, nor any of the other "no name" branded tyres such as maxxis, achillies, nexen, kenda, etc.
why? well they consistently rank near the bottom of all the tyre tests out there. this isnt just track days scenarios. but im talking emergency stops from 60km/h, the length that the lessor known brands pull up vs the known brands is significant, im talking metres. and in a school zone, metres count.
any thing to factor in is wear rate. most of the lessor brands use inferior rubber components. so after 5k km, 10k km, they dont exhibit the same properties as they did when new, so although they may still have lots of rubber left, they have lost significant traction and handling, which negates all of the "value" that their lower price gave them as u would most probably toss them for another set of decent tyres.

as a real world example, i drive the same route to work everyday. there is a section of road that when it rains, a sweeping right hander gets greasy in the wet. its actually a slow corner, with a posted 40km right hand arrow. ive personally seen over a dozen cars slide their rear end out as well as been stuck in traffic due to countless collisions on that corner. i have never lost my rear end or even gotten it to slide, and ive driven at least 5 different cars through that corner in wet conditions. i take it at normal speeds, the same speeds that those cars that lost it drove through.
i actually stopped on a few occassions to check on the drivers and noted that the tyres they used were inferior brands, or were in poor condition in terms of tread wear, not illegal, just low, couple with being basic brand name tyres.
in fact, i ran kumho ku 31 on an evo9 for a little bit years ago, and they were ok when new, but terrible after 5k km, i lost traction on a roundabout at 10km/h and almost ploughed into the curb. i never felt safe with those tyres in the wet.

again, people can do what they want with their money, but for me, i like knowing that i can find great deals on awesome high performance tyres (im buying a set of michelin pss in 245/35/19 and 265/30/19 for aud$1400 the set, brand new stock) and ill be putting them on a performance car.
if i owned a 20yo hyundai that i used as a airport beater, then sure, $50 a tyre will easily do.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09 C63 AMG
I remember when Nitto was a "no name" brand until people gave them a shot. Now they are just as big in the circuit. If the performance & quality is there, I don't care about a branding. We pay huge mark ups for our Michelins. The PSS have been out for plenty of years so they can't claim R&D.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by LVSpeedemon
I remember when Nitto was a "no name" brand until people gave them a shot. Now they are just as big in the circuit. If the performance & quality is there, I don't care about a branding. We pay huge mark ups for our Michelins. The PSS have been out for plenty of years so they can't claim R&D.
Agreed. Don't care about brand but rather quality.

Usually, unless said company has a fantastic marketing department, they go hand in hand though...
Old 02-16-2016, 01:00 PM
TIR

C63

Don't you just love the Mercedes tax
Old 02-16-2016, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by yellows2k
in australia, we have had the nankangs range for a while. personally, i would never use them, nor any of the other "no name" branded tyres such as maxxis, achillies, nexen, kenda, etc.
why? well they consistently rank near the bottom of all the tyre tests out there. this isnt just track days scenarios. but im talking emergency stops from 60km/h, the length that the lessor known brands pull up vs the known brands is significant, im talking metres. and in a school zone, metres count.
any thing to factor in is wear rate. most of the lessor brands use inferior rubber components. so after 5k km, 10k km, they dont exhibit the same properties as they did when new, so although they may still have lots of rubber left, they have lost significant traction and handling, which negates all of the "value" that their lower price gave them as u would most probably toss them for another set of decent tyres.

as a real world example, i drive the same route to work everyday. there is a section of road that when it rains, a sweeping right hander gets greasy in the wet. its actually a slow corner, with a posted 40km right hand arrow. ive personally seen over a dozen cars slide their rear end out as well as been stuck in traffic due to countless collisions on that corner. i have never lost my rear end or even gotten it to slide, and ive driven at least 5 different cars through that corner in wet conditions. i take it at normal speeds, the same speeds that those cars that lost it drove through.
i actually stopped on a few occassions to check on the drivers and noted that the tyres they used were inferior brands, or were in poor condition in terms of tread wear, not illegal, just low, couple with being basic brand name tyres.
in fact, i ran kumho ku 31 on an evo9 for a little bit years ago, and they were ok when new, but terrible after 5k km, i lost traction on a roundabout at 10km/h and almost ploughed into the curb. i never felt safe with those tyres in the wet.

again, people can do what they want with their money, but for me, i like knowing that i can find great deals on awesome high performance tyres (im buying a set of michelin pss in 245/35/19 and 265/30/19 for aud$1400 the set, brand new stock) and ill be putting them on a performance car.
if i owned a 20yo hyundai that i used as a airport beater, then sure, $50 a tyre will easily do.
So you live just down the road from THE Dead Man's Curve? And when you see these wrecks you get out and go check their tires? Man, that is hardcore dedication to the informed driver lifestyle......

....and I deal tires, I see all types, all brands, all costs and qualities and there ARE differences between them all but, at least in North America, there are minimum safety standards that must be in play....and for what it's worth Maxxis, Achilles, Nexen and Kenda have all tested VERY highly in most independent tests....it's an option, if you feel that paying that much more for a difference 92.8% of drivers will never feel then go ahead, it's your money... But others may find it a viable option to getting stuck yet again by the retail corporations
Old 02-16-2016, 01:03 PM

Jordan, did you ever run the Dilentes on your Jeep? Or the Vreds or the Atturos?
Old 02-16-2016, 01:04 PM

09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by TIR
Don't you just love the Mercedes tax
Lol. 1st World Problems.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:07 PM

09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jptaylor
Jordan, did you ever run the Dilentes on your Jeep? Or the Vreds or the Atturos?
I ran the Nexens Rodian HPs and they were amazing.

I'm still on my PSS on the C63, haven't quite decided on what I will go with for replacement when the time comes. I don't daily or hit road courses. Kinda leaning towards the Hankooks, great deal & great reviews. But I'll see how your new find treats you after they have some more miles on them.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30

I'm still on my PSS on the C63, haven't quite decided on what I will go with for replacement when the time comes. I don't daily or hit road courses. Kinda leaning towards the Hankooks, great deal & great reviews. But I'll see how your new find treats you after they have some more miles on them.
Which Hankooks? I've heard V12's were crappy. FWIW - don't buy Yoko S-drives. Too noisy - imho.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:19 PM

I forgot about the Roadians....
Old 02-16-2016, 01:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Audi A5 6MT, C63 AMG
Interested in how these will hold up over time. for $350, its not a bad deal at all. i dont track or drive daily, so for some one like me, this might save me a few $$
Originally Posted by AMG3.2
Which Hankooks? I've heard V12's were crappy. FWIW - don't buy Yoko S-drives. Too noisy - imho.
I had Hankooks for a quite a while and they ran great. I have no complaints.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New tires on the 63, pleased so far