High Pitched Whine - Hard Acceleration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 04:43 AM

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts
C63
High Pitched Whine - Hard Acceleration

Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me work this out.

On occasion when I accelerate hard in gear and rolling (say 3k plus), the engine will make a high pitched whine that is consistent in pitch with engine revs. The best way to describe it is that it sounds (sort of) like a supercharger but, unfortunately I don't have one. The only common thing I feel that each occurrence has is that the car has normally been run for a while and is pretty hot, albeit normal engine oil temps. That said, the first time that I noticed this it was during powering-out of a tight left hand bend and I assumed perhaps that it was due to the engine moving slightly perhaps and a pulley/belt making the noise; as it was a new thing is not heard before in the 12mths previous. I believe that each time it has done this has been after sharp direction changes but I might be wrong, I'm usually paying solid attention to the car's behaviour and my surroundings.

It's not common, I can count on one hand how many times it has occurred over the last 12mths, but I am intrigued for sure.

MB really aren't interested, they say some whining is normal and, of course when I pick up a tech to have him listen, it won't do it as it happens only rarely.

No change to performance, general engine noise, transmission shift time, transmission performance (no clunks or anything bad). Sometimes the car does "feel" slower but it's unrelated to this noise, only when the car has been running a while and speedo tells a different story so, I think my butt dyno is broken.

Car is 2013 non-PP coupe.

Any clues?

Last edited by Cozy; 02-17-2016 at 08:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cskalski (08-19-2021)
Old 02-17-2016, 07:24 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Assuming all the poly belt pullies are fine, then I would look to low transmission fluid and the torque converter!!
Old 02-17-2016, 07:42 AM

C63
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Assuming all the poly belt pullies are fine, then I would look to low transmission fluid and the torque converter!!
Can you elaborate on torque converter issue? Does MCT have this...I thought MCT was without as is wet clutch.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes c350
Originally Posted by Cozy
Hi,

On occasion when I accelerate hard in gear and rolling (say 3k plus), the engine will make a high pitched whine that is consistent in pitch with engine revs. The best way to describe it is that it sounds (sort of) like a supercharger but, unfortunately I don't have one. The only common thing I feel that each occurrence has is that the car has normally been run for a while and is pretty hot, albeit normal engine oil temps. That said, the first time that I noticed this it was during powering-out of a tight left hand bend and I assumed perhaps that it was due to the engine moving slightly perhaps and a pulley/belt making the noise; as it was a new thing is not heard before in the 12mths previous. I believe that each time it has done this has been after sharp direction changes but I might be wrong, I'm usually paying solid attention to the car's behaviour and my surroundings.

It's not common, I can count on one hand how many times it has occurred over the last 12mths, but I am intrigued for sure.

MB really aren't interested, they say some whining is normal and, of course when I pick up a tech to have him listen, it won't do it as it happens only rarely.

No change to performance, general engine noise, transmission shift time, transmission performance (no clunks or anything bad). Sometimes the car does "feel" slower but it's unrelated to this noise, only when the car has been running a while and speedo tells a different story so, I think my butt dyno is broken.

Any clues?
Hey Cozy
I have the exact same issues with my car. Were you able to figure what the problem was? I have a 2012 c350 4matic.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:34 PM

C63
Originally Posted by Alex Quach
Hey Cozy
I have the exact same issues with my car. Were you able to figure what the problem was? I have a 2012 c350 4matic.
Hi Alex. Well actually since posting this I haven’t had it since. The car has been a champ, has since been tuned, but I did take a look at all pulleys and belts, all of which checked out, verified by my Dad (AMG tech in UK for 15yr) when I went back home. I’m guessing it was belt or pulley, perhaps given the car was (and is) with barely any mileage on or use. It hasn’t worried me since.

If yours is as inconsistent as mine was and not causing any issues then I wouldn’t worry. Perhaps just check your pulleys and see if there’s any crud around there or if the car has been sat a while, perhaps things are just a little dry. Maybe try some penetrating oil such as WD40 to lube things up.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
Might be an idea to inspect the intake manifold for leaks at the flanges. It can cause a high pitched whine/whistle.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:39 PM

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
C63 AMG - LSD
Mine does the same thing, I actually caught the sound last night on my Gopro. My son likes to go fast through overpasses so when we did last night you could really hear the whine. video:

Old 08-06-2018, 01:26 PM

C63
Originally Posted by SuperFastYo
Mine does the same thing, I actually caught the sound last night on my Gopro. My son likes to go fast through overpasses so when we did last night you could really hear the whine. video:

https://youtu.be/eQswJHNjtm0
That sounds almost supercharger like, quite different to what I had which wasn’t audible from outside. Checked pulley? If so then someone above suggested intake manifold leak, so perhaps check that out.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:03 PM

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts
2012 C63 P31 Sedan
FYI, sometimes alternator whine can sound very similar, especially if the noise makes it through the audio system. Alternator speed is directly tied to engine speed, which will cause the pitch to change with engine speed.

Just another area to check, besides those stated previously.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:54 PM

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
C63 AMG - LSD

That sounds almost supercharger like, quite different to what I had which wasn’t audible from outside. Checked pulley? If so then someone above suggested intake manifold leak, so perhaps check that out.
It's in the list of replacement stuff. In the past year I replaced transmission, torque converter & engine mounts. Getting tired of spending money on it haha. But I don't drive it much at least. I'll probably do both in the next month or two.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:42 PM

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts
2012 P31 C63
Didn’t want to make a new thread but this is happening to my car also and I just bought it a week ago with 31k miles. I’ll take to MB and see what they say.
Old 08-11-2019, 03:07 PM

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
001 s600, 94 sl600
The 'pitch' of the whine is too low to be alternator. It could be a belt vibrating on a worn / misaligned/ dirty pulley. It also does not sound like an 'oil starvation' oil pump or a vacuum leak--those do not change with RPM much. I suspect turbulence-eddy shedding in the intake air ducts.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:30 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 E63 AMG
Did you ever figure it out?
Old 04-02-2020, 04:14 AM

2013 c63
Originally Posted by EMR2004
Did you ever figure it out?
i have the same thing when I push it over 4500 rpm almost every time. no cel or any decrease in performance.
i noticed it after I had my ipe headers and cat back installed.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:29 PM

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
'08 C300 4Matic Sport / '11 C63
I have hint of one as well but know it's my power steering more than likely as it's a more common issue. Might wanna look there to see how it's doing.

I few hard runs and I hear it more for a couple days as it gets air back out of the pump line from high rpm runs. you can check to see if you see air bubbles in power steering res. kind of back feeding in.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:32 AM

2003 Audi S8
Did anything come of this? I also have the whine at full throttle with no CEL or noticeable change in performance.
Old 08-19-2021, 12:58 AM

2020 Camaro R/S SC (supercharged V6)
Motor mount?

Hi,

Any clues?
Yes. I would check how much fluid is in the tranny. Is there any leaks? Hmm. They can take the bolt out and flush it. Also....could be engine fan shroud, or tge coolant fan itself. My money I'd on a motor mount if it is a high mileage unit. Otherwise. Check your oil after each noise. There IS something wrong. Make them drive it until it makes the noise.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:44 AM

Received 108 Likes on 85 Posts
2014 C63
I think there was a thread on here I remember with a similar ask. Someone said it could be a wheel bearing. Mine has made the sound a few times over the years but I haven't heard it in a long time.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 c63 amg coupe p31
Hi,

Any clues?
nothing to worry about completely normal. I've owned several c63s with m156 motor all made the same noise. very common obviously, I thought it was belt but wasn't it after new continental belt was out on same noise , 60 k miles/ 2years later same thing, I kinda like it 😁