Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles > C63 AMG (W204)
High Pitched Whine - Hard Acceleration >

High Pitched Whine - Hard Acceleration

Notices
C63 AMG (W204)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 02-17-2016, 04:43 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
C63

Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me work this out.

On occasion when I accelerate hard in gear and rolling (say 3k plus), the engine will make a high pitched whine that is consistent in pitch with engine revs. The best way to describe it is that it sounds (sort of) like a supercharger but, unfortunately I don't have one. The only common thing I feel that each occurrence has is that the car has normally been run for a while and is pretty hot, albeit normal engine oil temps. That said, the first time that I noticed this it was during powering-out of a tight left hand bend and I assumed perhaps that it was due to the engine moving slightly perhaps and a pulley/belt making the noise; as it was a new thing is not heard before in the 12mths previous. I believe that each time it has done this has been after sharp direction changes but I might be wrong, I'm usually paying solid attention to the car's behaviour and my surroundings.

It's not common, I can count on one hand how many times it has occurred over the last 12mths, but I am intrigued for sure.

MB really aren't interested, they say some whining is normal and, of course when I pick up a tech to have him listen, it won't do it as it happens only rarely.

No change to performance, general engine noise, transmission shift time, transmission performance (no clunks or anything bad). Sometimes the car does "feel" slower but it's unrelated to this noise, only when the car has been running a while and speedo tells a different story so, I think my butt dyno is broken.

Car is 2013 non-PP coupe.

Any clues?

Last edited by Cozy; 02-17-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:24 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 590 Likes on 573 Posts
1999 E300TD
Assuming all the poly belt pullies are fine, then I would look to low transmission fluid and the torque converter!!
Old 02-17-2016, 07:42 AM

C63
Originally Posted by Plutoe View Post
Assuming all the poly belt pullies are fine, then I would look to low transmission fluid and the torque converter!!
Can you elaborate on torque converter issue? Does MCT have this...I thought MCT was without as is wet clutch.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes c350
Originally Posted by Cozy View Post
Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me work this out.

On occasion when I accelerate hard in gear and rolling (say 3k plus), the engine will make a high pitched whine that is consistent in pitch with engine revs. The best way to describe it is that it sounds (sort of) like a supercharger but, unfortunately I don't have one. The only common thing I feel that each occurrence has is that the car has normally been run for a while and is pretty hot, albeit normal engine oil temps. That said, the first time that I noticed this it was during powering-out of a tight left hand bend and I assumed perhaps that it was due to the engine moving slightly perhaps and a pulley/belt making the noise; as it was a new thing is not heard before in the 12mths previous. I believe that each time it has done this has been after sharp direction changes but I might be wrong, I'm usually paying solid attention to the car's behaviour and my surroundings.

It's not common, I can count on one hand how many times it has occurred over the last 12mths, but I am intrigued for sure.

MB really aren't interested, they say some whining is normal and, of course when I pick up a tech to have him listen, it won't do it as it happens only rarely.

No change to performance, general engine noise, transmission shift time, transmission performance (no clunks or anything bad). Sometimes the car does "feel" slower but it's unrelated to this noise, only when the car has been running a while and speedo tells a different story so, I think my butt dyno is broken.

Car is 2013 non-PP coupe.

Any clues?
Hey Cozy
I have the exact same issues with my car. Were you able to figure what the problem was? I have a 2012 c350 4matic.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:34 PM

C63
Originally Posted by Alex Quach View Post
Hey Cozy
I have the exact same issues with my car. Were you able to figure what the problem was? I have a 2012 c350 4matic.
Hi Alex. Well actually since posting this I havenít had it since. The car has been a champ, has since been tuned, but I did take a look at all pulleys and belts, all of which checked out, verified by my Dad (AMG tech in UK for 15yr) when I went back home. Iím guessing it was belt or pulley, perhaps given the car was (and is) with barely any mileage on or use. It hasnít worried me since.

If yours is as inconsistent as mine was and not causing any issues then I wouldnít worry. Perhaps just check your pulleys and see if thereís any crud around there or if the car has been sat a while, perhaps things are just a little dry. Maybe try some penetrating oil such as WD40 to lube things up.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
Might be an idea to inspect the intake manifold for leaks at the flanges. It can cause a high pitched whine/whistle.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:39 PM

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 AMG - LSD
Mine does the same thing, I actually caught the sound last night on my Gopro. My son likes to go fast through overpasses so when we did last night you could really hear the whine. video:

Old 08-06-2018, 01:26 PM

C63
Originally Posted by SuperFastYo View Post
Mine does the same thing, I actually caught the sound last night on my Gopro. My son likes to go fast through overpasses so when we did last night you could really hear the whine. video:

https://youtu.be/eQswJHNjtm0
That sounds almost supercharger like, quite different to what I had which wasnít audible from outside. Checked pulley? If so then someone above suggested intake manifold leak, so perhaps check that out.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:03 PM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2012 C63 P31 Sedan
FYI, sometimes alternator whine can sound very similar, especially if the noise makes it through the audio system. Alternator speed is directly tied to engine speed, which will cause the pitch to change with engine speed.

Just another area to check, besides those stated previously.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:54 PM

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 AMG - LSD
Originally Posted by Cozy View Post

That sounds almost supercharger like, quite different to what I had which wasnít audible from outside. Checked pulley? If so then someone above suggested intake manifold leak, so perhaps check that out.
It's in the list of replacement stuff. In the past year I replaced transmission, torque converter & engine mounts. Getting tired of spending money on it haha. But I don't drive it much at least. I'll probably do both in the next month or two.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 P31 C63
Didnít want to make a new thread but this is happening to my car also and I just bought it a week ago with 31k miles. Iíll take to MB and see what they say.