C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

WTB: Weistec Oil/Water Seperator/Catch Can

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 766 Likes on 531 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by Blk63bk
Does anyone know the mb part number for the pcv tube? Maybe someone can make some adapters
That sounds like a dare... OK - I'll see what I can come up with.

The PCV valve part # is A156-010-03-70 (MB refers to it as a breather pipe). See somewhat relevant and interesting writeup at https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-m156-e63.html, which is where Jasonoff got that second pic.

A decent catch can (one that I like for a number of reasons for THIS PARTICULAR APPLICATION is the ADD W1 - the closed loop one without the breather) is $100. Another $50 would easily get you 12' of 3/8" hose (I am talking proper gas/oil grade stuff), two flat or barbed couplers (straight or angled TBD), six pressure release or worm-gear hose clamps, one small L-bracket and one Scotchbrite pad if you want to collect even more oil. You could even buy another MB PCV valve (breather hose) for another $100 so you don't have to mess with the one on your engine nor worry about cutting the hose on it - you could separate the "hose" portion from the PCV and crankcase fittings and directly connect the new hoses from the catch can to those, in which case you won't need the couplers and you'll need only four clamps ($10 savings). In other words, for $250 you can PROPERLY put together and build the whole thing without going anywhere near your car, and then put it all in in an hour or two if you do it the proper way (i.e. by removing the intake manifold and replacing the intake gaskets and bolts, which will add another $50 in parts - so that's $300 for a solution that is at least as good as the Weistec, and you've also got a clean manifold with a new gasket). And, the PCV is an item that needs to be replaced at the 120,000 km service, so by replacing it you'll also be doing some preventative / scheduled maintenance!

Last edited by Diabolis; 02-27-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:32 PM
GRP

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
2010 C63
Originally Posted by Diabolis
That sounds like a dare... OK - I'll see what I can come up with.

The PCV valve part # is A156-010-03-70 (MB refers to it as a breather pipe). See somewhat relevant and interesting writeup at https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-m156-e63.html, which is where Jasonoff got that second pic.

A decent catch can (one that I like for a number of reasons for THIS PARTICULAR APPLICATION is the ADD W1 - the closed loop one without the breather) is $100. Another $50 would easily get you 12' of 3/8" hose (I am talking proper gas/oil grade stuff), two flat or barbed couplers (straight or angled TBD), six pressure release or worm-gear hose clamps, one small L-bracket and one Scotchbrite pad if you want to collect even more oil. You could even buy another MB PCV valve (breather hose) for another $100 so you don't have to mess with the one on your engine nor worry about cutting the hose on it - you could separate the "hose" portion from the PCV and crankcase fittings and directly connect the new hoses from the catch can to those, in which case you won't need the couplers and you'll need only four clamps ($10 savings). In other words, for $250 you can PROPERLY put together and build the whole thing without going anywhere near your car, and then put it all in in an hour or two if you do it the proper way (i.e. by removing the intake manifold and replacing the intake gaskets and bolts, which will add another $50 in parts - so that's $300 for a solution that is at least as good as the Weistec, and you've also got a clean manifold with a new gasket). And, the PCV is an item that needs to be replaced at the 120,000 km service, so by replacing it you'll also be doing some preventative / scheduled maintenance!
Thanks for the part number and other information.

There are catch cans and crap cans. Buy a decent can to start with. Beware the nice can that does not separate so you have to remove the complete can to empty/check for oil.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Completely agree. Now, IMHO the kind that have the external glass level check tubes are crap, as are the ones with drain valves. As for maximizing the separation ability and getting the most oil out of the vapours, that's what the Scotchbrite is for - there is a separate inlet chamber in the ADD W1 which is where you pack the Scotchbrite, and it has a screw-in dipstick for checking the level.

Could you go with a Crawford, Mishimoto, Moroso, Radium or a similar higher-end can? Sure - except that even them you'd want one without a quick drain valve which always leaks or a glass tube which always breaks (both of which are BTW useless unless you have an old Impala and there's enough room under the hood to stuff a human body in addtion to the engine), so even a decent sub-$100 design like the ADD-W1 will work at least as good as the $600 Weistec. So will a $140 Moroso or Mishimoto. You certainly don't need to drop $500 on a catch can - there's abolsutely no reason to unless you do want a CF covered canister or other engine bling.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:55 AM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)
Completely agree. Now, IMHO the kind that have the external glass level check tubes are crap, as are the ones with drain valves. As for maximizing the separation ability and getting the most oil out of the vapours, that's what the Scotchbrite is for - there is a separate inlet chamber in the ADD W1 which is where you pack the Scotchbrite, and it has a screw-in dipstick for checking the level.

Could you go with a Crawford, Mishimoto, Moroso, Radium or a similar higher-end can? Sure - except that even them you'd want one without a quick drain valve which always leaks or a glass tube which always breaks (both of which are BTW useless unless you have an old Impala and there's enough room under the hood to stuff a human body in addtion to the engine), so even a decent sub-$100 design like the ADD-W1 will work at least as good as the $600 Weistec. So will a $140 Moroso or Mishimoto. You certainly don't need to drop $500 on a catch can - there's abolsutely no reason to unless you do want a CF covered canister or other engine bling.

See, this guy gets it. I hope you build something for the platform and dont price gauge people like others have done. No offense to Weistec as I know you guys build quality parts, but it is a catch can. You sell full pulley replacements with hardware for less. i think your can should be between $300 and $400 and you would likely sell 35-50% more so in truth you would be making more money.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
C63, GT3RS, 430 Scud, E63, CGT
i would buy one at 300-350 , reason not buying price too high.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,813 Likes on 1,666 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Sounds like Diabolis is getting into the catch can business. A kit for $200 will sell like hotcakes.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by ENV²
I have always been a HUGE believer in supporting companies that work on any platform car I have owned. The problem I have is that this is a catch can. I am not cheap by any means but cmon $700 shipped for a catch can? Thats really crazy. I mean they could have priced this thing at $400-450 and it probably would have sold double if not more. Its a LOT of money for what it truly is. I love Weistec and all their stuff it just is not easy to pay that much money for what that is meanwhile they sell entire pulley kit for half that?
Ask @Weistec if they can do a group buy, they have done that here for forum members in the past. That being said it is a high quality part and warrants the cost.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:42 PM
TIR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63
Sounds great. Now someone do it and do a diy
Old 03-04-2016, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As I said, that sounds like a dare... OK, I'll do it. Am busy putting together the race car, but I'll get a new PCV valve (AKA "breather pipe") from MB in a couple of weeks and go from there.
The following users liked this post:
ENV² (03-04-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 04:34 PM

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts
2014 C63 Edition 507
Installed mine last weekend

Happy with quality of the pieces, for sure. Took my time but I'll have to go back in and refit the hoses. I'm not happy how they obstruct the dipstick. I couldn't quite get the geometry to bring them from the intake back around behind the dipstick tube. There sure isn't a lot of room to fiddle with back there, that's for sure.

Another heads up, the PVC hold down, the "C" shaped piece is tricky to hold in place while your tightening down the fitting to the intake. It slipped off and fell once and I was sweating bullets since i couldn't see where it went. I had the intake taped off, so i wasn't worried about that -it had only fallen a very, very short distance. Luckily my magnetic grabber snapped it up right away. That was an uncomfortable 30 seconds though.

I should have taken pictures while I had the boxes and Y inlet off, but you can get a sense from the photo below. Anyway, a project for revisiting for another day.

Diabolis - If you're going to consider developing a piece, bear in mind that hose fitment and travel to the catch can. I think that is something that can be improved upon.

Last edited by pbaylog; 03-04-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:16 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)
As I said, that sounds like a dare... OK, I'll do it. Am busy putting together the race car, but I'll get a new PCV valve (AKA "breather pipe") from MB in a couple of weeks and go from there.

Thank you! Looking forward to this!
Old 03-05-2016, 03:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Originally Posted by pbaylog
Happy with quality of the pieces, for sure. Took my time but I'll have to go back in and refit the hoses. I'm not happy how they obstruct the dipstick. I couldn't quite get the geometry to bring them from the intake back around behind the dipstick tube. There sure isn't a lot of room to fiddle with back there, that's for sure.

Another heads up, the PVC hold down, the "C" shaped piece is tricky to hold in place while your tightening down the fitting to the intake. It slipped off and fell once and I was sweating bullets since i couldn't see where it went. I had the intake taped off, so i wasn't worried about that -it had only fallen a very, very short distance. Luckily my magnetic grabber snapped it up right away. That was an uncomfortable 30 seconds though.

I should have taken pictures while I had the boxes and Y inlet off, but you can get a sense from the photo below. Anyway, a project for revisiting for another day.

Diabolis - If you're going to consider developing a piece, bear in mind that hose fitment and travel to the catch can. I think that is something that can be improved upon.

FYI, I was able to route the hoses one each side of the dipstick, and I angled them so that they are about an inch below the dipstick top, so they aren't in the way.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:00 AM

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts
2014 C63 Edition 507
Thanks Maximus

That's good to know. I'll be installing ROW air boxes this Spring and will go back in then.

Thanks Again
Old 03-05-2016, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Originally Posted by pbaylog
That's good to know. I'll be installing ROW air boxes this Spring and will go back in then.

Thanks Again
It's definitely tricky, though. As you know, those hoses aren't very pliable, and not much room to work with. Best way is to loosen the fittings and test fit it first.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I can tell you right now that no matter what catch can I end up using, the installation - at least when I do mine - is going to involve taking off the intake manifold, and replacing the PCV valve with a new, modified one that retains the OEM ends / mounts but goes through the catch can in place of the short ribbed plastic hose. Just an FYI...
Old 03-06-2016, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 507 with BS Body; 2008 SLK 55
Has anybody had to replace the o-ring in their Weistec AOS yet? Mine is too loose. I ordered a bunch wholesale. Since I was not entirely sure of the spec I ordered 2 sizes (50 each) for about 10 cents a piece.... Won't run out again, LOL.

Last edited by Wobble64; 03-09-2016 at 09:28 PM.