Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles > C63 AMG (W204)
Strange and disturbing thing happened with my car >

Strange and disturbing thing happened with my car

Notices
C63 AMG (W204)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange and disturbing thing happened with my car

 
Old 03-20-2016, 04:56 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Euler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 157
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C63, 2008 ML550, 2014 KTM 500 XC W, John Deere 990
Strange and disturbing thing happened with my car

I have been have some really rough shifts from 2nd to 3rd in sport mode under hard throttle. So, I was taking a lazy right turn out of a stop sign and got on it fairly hard. Once again a rough shift to third. Right at the hard engagement to third the trans completely dropped out of engagement along with the gas pedal. In addition, the stability warning came up saying it was unavailable and consult owner manual. Now the engine is idling roughly as I coast to a stop on the side of the road. There is no response to pressing the gas pedal, shifting to park has no effect and there is no CEL. I shut down the engine, restart and everything is fine. No messages and no CEL. Anyone ever experience something like this before? The car is going in for recall and transmission service next week.
Euler is offline  
Old 03-20-2016, 05:27 PM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
abcut973's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Denham Springs,LA
Posts: 3,704
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
That behavior rings a bell. I think some members already reported this.
Do a search on stability control unavailable. You might get some links. GL
abcut973 is offline  
Old 03-21-2016, 10:35 AM
  #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 227
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dreams
Originally Posted by Euler View Post
I have been have some really rough shifts from 2nd to 3rd in sport mode under hard throttle. So, I was taking a lazy right turn out of a stop sign and got on it fairly hard. Once again a rough shift to third. Right at the hard engagement to third the trans completely dropped out of engagement along with the gas pedal. In addition, the stability warning came up saying it was unavailable and consult owner manual. Now the engine is idling roughly as I coast to a stop on the side of the road. There is no response to pressing the gas pedal, shifting to park has no effect and there is no CEL. I shut down the engine, restart and everything is fine. No messages and no CEL. Anyone ever experience something like this before? The car is going in for recall and transmission service next week.
I didnt experience particularly hard shifting or rough idling but I did lgo into limp mode with the esc inoperative and check engine warning lights whenever I'd get on it. turned out to be a faulty sensor in the accelerator pedal.
dcho is offline  
Old 03-26-2016, 02:54 PM
  #4  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Euler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 157
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C63, 2008 ML550, 2014 KTM 500 XC W, John Deere 990
Just got the car back from dealer service. Had the 40K transmission flush done. The tech test drove the car and concluded that the K1 clutch pack needs to be replaced. He could not say why its the clutch and not a problem with the valve body or TCU. Apparently, my specific trans is not serviceable. So, the reco is to replace the transmission for $7000. Uh, no. It shifts fine unless under extreme load, so it stays until failure (trade in).

Last edited by Euler; 03-26-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Euler is offline  
Old 03-26-2016, 09:57 PM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Wobble64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Cincinnati Area
Posts: 1,001
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
C63 507 with BS Body; 2008 SLK 55
Originally Posted by Euler View Post
Just got the car back from dealer service. Had the 40K transmission flush done. The tech test drove the car and concluded that the K1 clutch pack needs to be replaced. He could not say why its the clutch and not a problem with the valve body or TCU. Apparently, my specific trans is not serviceable. So, the reco is to replace the transmission for $7000. Uh, no. It shifts fine unless under extreme load, so it stays until failure (trade in).
First, I assume out of warranty? Second, any gearbox problem is repairable. Check with Weistec. In any case a second opinion of someone who is a really good technician is very recommended. Is your dealership a certified AMG Performance Center?
Wobble64 is offline  
Old 03-27-2016, 01:22 PM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
layzie12g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,241
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2008 Mercedes Benz E63
Not serviceable??? You should call another dealer. I can have a .9 transmission apart with all the clutches out in about 12 minutes. I would do a little more research on this if I was you.
layzie12g is offline  
Old 03-27-2016, 07:13 PM
  #7  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Euler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 157
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C63, 2008 ML550, 2014 KTM 500 XC W, John Deere 990
Originally Posted by Wobble64 View Post
First, I assume out of warranty? Second, any gearbox problem is repairable. Check with Weistec. In any case a second opinion of someone who is a really good technician is very recommended. Is your dealership a certified AMG Performance Center?
Way out of warranty, but I had the same thought. I could get the Weistec bullet proof treatment for less. I don't know if there is something about my transmission though. My car is one of the first C63s manufactured. The previous owner claimed that it was the factory show car that introduced the model to North America. It was five years old when I bought it and it only had 9100 miles. The dealer did tell me that ordinarily they could change out the clutch pack, but there is something specifically different about mine. I'll need to do a bit more research on it.
Euler is offline  
Old 03-27-2016, 09:24 PM
  #8  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
layzie12g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,241
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2008 Mercedes Benz E63
Something about that sounds fishy in my opinion.
layzie12g is offline  
Old 03-28-2016, 12:50 PM
  #9  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 81
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG
Very fishy indeed. Its not like they casted a solid housing around all of the moving parts inside the transmission. If the transmission can be opened, parts can be removed. If parts can be removed, parts can be replaced. Best of luck!!!
Blake_von_Texas is offline  
Old 03-28-2016, 01:35 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Arjy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Santa Monica
Posts: 449
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Coupe, 1989 560SL, 2019 E450 Cabriolet
I would be very upset if I found out I had been sold a car that was unserviceable, seems to imply it was never meant to be on the road...
Arjy is offline  
Old 03-28-2016, 06:54 PM
  #11  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
layzie12g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,241
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2008 Mercedes Benz E63
What he just said... A .9 trans is a .9 trans. If it was a prototype, it would have have been sold to you.
layzie12g is offline  
Old 03-28-2016, 07:08 PM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Diabolis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,689
Received 242 Likes on 172 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928 GT, C5 Z06 track rat
I've seen numerous used pre-FL C63 transmissions (722.9) go for well under $2K - there's one on eBay now with a Buy It Now price of $1.5K US. Spending $7K for a new one on an 8-year-old car (unless it's a Bugatti Veyron or a Pagani Zonda, that is) is IMHO pretty stupid...
Diabolis is offline  
Old 03-28-2016, 08:05 PM
  #13  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Euler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 157
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C63, 2008 ML550, 2014 KTM 500 XC W, John Deere 990
Yea, this service department has no shame. They cater to the typical C240 crowd that will fall for just about anything. The same ones that take their car in to have the clock set or the key battery replaced--under warranty. You Atlanta area folks will know what I mean. I'm not even sure they know what the real problem is. I asked for a further explanation, but so far, crickets.

Last edited by Euler; 03-28-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Euler is offline  
Old 03-28-2016, 11:46 PM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Houston - Clear Lake
Posts: 1,243
Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Originally Posted by dcho View Post
I didnt experience particularly hard shifting or rough idling but I did lgo into limp mode with the esc inoperative and check engine warning lights whenever I'd get on it. turned out to be a faulty sensor in the accelerator pedal.
I had a similar problem. It only happened when I was pushing the car hard enough to get some wheel spin. It was usually when coming our of a corner and I'm not sure but it's possible that it happened when the car shifted.

The gas pedal wasn't dead but pretty unresponsive and it felt like I had almost no horsepower. The traction control or esc light would come on and the dash would flash a message about the stability system being inoperative and please See Operator's Manual, and the CEL alert would light up

Turning the car off immediately cleared the problem - the dash was back to normal (except for the CEL, which would stay on for a while but eventually clear) and the car drove well without problems.

I finally asked the dealer to look at it. They identified a faulty throttle sensor and replaced the accelerator pedal. I've had zero problems since.

Prior post: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ensor-cel.html

Last edited by zcct04; 03-28-2016 at 11:56 PM.
zcct04 is offline  
Old 04-26-2016, 07:23 PM
  #15  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Euler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 157
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C63, 2008 ML550, 2014 KTM 500 XC W, John Deere 990
Update:
About a year ago I posted about having traction control issues after replacing my rear tires with Conti Extreme Contacts. Long turns like hwy ramps would trigger the traction control light. They were awful to the point that I suspected counterfeit tires or rejects were installed, but I left them on. Well, 10,000 miles later--the standard service interval for rear tires--I put a new set of conti ECs on. Road noise, gone; ESP problems, gone; shift problems, gone. I can't believe a set of tires could have been that bad. Worse, the dealer mechanic said the shift problem was caused by a bad clutch pack and recommended complete replacement of the transmission.
Euler is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Strange and disturbing thing happened with my car


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: