C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Front end knocking sound at slow speed?

Old 04-01-2016, 12:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W204 C63AMG
Question Front end knocking sound at slow speed?

I have an 09' C63 with 25K miles which I purchased back in December last year (car had 23K miles back then). Recently, the front suspension area started to develop faint knocking noises on both sides of the car. The sound is quite similar to loose sway bar end links but at much quieter volumn. The noise occurs mostly when hitting small bumps or rough roads at slow speed but sometimes I could hear this at up to 45mph if there are sharp bumps or joints on the freeways. Going over a smooth speed bump doesn't trigger the sound.
I already changed out the end links but it did not fix the problem. The other suspension parts and bushings are still tight and looking brand new.
My other mechanic is suggesting that it could be coming from the struts or the strut mount bearings. Do worn out struts make knocking sounds? I read some of the older threads here also suggesting that this could be from worn out strut mount bearings, but I would love to get this fixed in one take. Parts for the C63 are special order only from where I live and cost about 40% higher than those in EU and states.
Thanks in advance.
Mark
Old 04-01-2016, 06:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 184 Posts
C63 AMG
Definitely sounds like worn strut mount bearings.

What you described is a classic case of a bad bearings. Is the car lowered?
Old 04-01-2016, 11:38 PM

W204 C63AMG
The car is stock and never been lowered.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Is it only sound? Or are there any other symptoms such as vibration etc?

If it is just sound it sounds like the struts to me
Old 04-03-2016, 06:37 AM

W204 C63AMG
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
Is it only sound? Or are there any other symptoms such as vibration etc?

If it is just sound it sounds like the struts to me
It is just sound only. The car still drives fine, no vibration or bouncy ride.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:46 AM

W204 C63AMG
Question

I have one more question to ask you guys since I'll be ordering the parts soon. Is it only the bearings that usually needed replacements, or the strut mount top hats themselves are worn items as well? Also, are these parts shared with the rest of W204 C-Classes or are they C63's specific? Thanks
Old 12-06-2016, 04:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
'09 ML 500 (550) Off road Package
I have a question too. I bought my car with a bilstein coilover kit installed and I am also having the knocking sound at low speeds (right front). Question is will it use stock strut bearings or would the coilover kit have its own strut bearings. Not very knowledgeable about coilover kits.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 352 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
It could be either. The B16,PSS10 48-141147 appears to use the stock top hats and the clubsport kit 48-229333 uses camber adjustable top plates. Looks like if your rear shocks have a yellow body the kit is the B16 and if they are silver the kit is a clubsport.

http://www.tdotperformance.ca/2012-m...ing-kits?pl=1&
Old 12-06-2016, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mort
It could be either. The B16,PSS10 48-141147 appears to use the stock top hats and the clubsport kit 48-229333 uses camber adjustable top plates. Looks like if your rear shocks have a yellow body the kit is the B16 and if they are silver the kit is a clubsport.

http://www.tdotperformance.ca/2012-m...ing-kits?pl=1&
Thanks mine look like the B16 so will use stock mount bearings then.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 C63 Amg / 1999 C43 Amg
id check the actual sway bar.. i just did my end links and shortly after i heard this rattle... the bolt and bushing started to walk in the actual sway bar... i just put the bushing(both bushings were fine) in place and used a tq wrench(like 100nm which is like 80lb) to tighten the bolt on the sway bar..double check that number tho
Old 12-08-2016, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by IBowlC63AMG
id check the actual sway bar.. i just did my end links and shortly after i heard this rattle... the bolt and bushing started to walk in the actual sway bar... i just put the bushing(both bushings were fine) in place and used a tq wrench(like 100nm which is like 80lb) to tighten the bolt on the sway bar..double check that number tho
Sorry but what do you mean started to walk? Did the sway bar move inside the bushing due to it not being tight enough?
Old 12-08-2016, 03:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 C63 Amg / 1999 C43 Amg
Originally Posted by shaun.barnard
Sorry but what do you mean started to walk? Did the sway bar move inside the bushing due to it not being tight enough?
walk is a just a term to describe something that moved from its original place...something that should remain in place such as a spring on a strut...

my reasoning for using the term in this instance is because when doing sway bar end links... you dont touch the sway bar at all nor its bolts... yet somehow the bolt found its way loose which also caused the bushing to move(hence why i used the term walk) people probably use other terms as there is no right or wrong phrase just what i chose to use..

so basically after i changed my sway bar end links i dropped the car off the jack stands and drove to test the steering in that moment i heard this (clunking,Rattle,etc etc) that ive never heard before when driving over bumps,dips,etc etc... it drove me nuts.. i checked everything i touched prior plus what ive read others suggested it could be.. it was none of those things until i jacked the car up again and shook or turned the wheels in an aggresive manner which when i noticed it was my sway bar itself that became loose(how i dont know) guess it just one of those things..checked the bushings and sat them in its correct place tighten the bolts to spec and Voila!! no more rattle shakes clunking or any binding when going over dips bumps potholes or whatever... sometimes bolts find their way loose how i dont know but just know i dont know hear that rattle... which is why is y i suggested checking that out as well

The way they built these cars are amazing!!! if u check it out yourself youll know what i mean..

such as there are to points u can do your sway bar end links(where the top bolt will go it can bolt in its original position or theres another hole to the left or in front depending on what angle youre lookin at it) id assume its for making turning tighter im not sure & theres sensors near the sway bar that id assume has something to do with the suspension settings that measures or keeps the car from dipping when going into a turn at speeds(im not a tech so i dont know for sure) but these cars are def over engineered and i love finding out new stuff i wouldve never known was there if i didnt try to tackle things my self....

Such as the intelligent system head lights(another story) but taking them apart($1600 assembly from MB talk about tax,ballast is $500 the bulb is high number too and i didnt even as what the lil black module cost to make these suckers move) was intimidating but cool...

back to the topic try checkin sway bar too is all im suggesting
The following users liked this post:
shaun.barnard (12-11-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by IBowlC63AMG
Checked the sway bar bushes and they looked fine and in their place then felt the end links and they were so worn you could wiggle them and twist them from side to side easily. Jacked up the car and couldn't wiggle the wheels from left to right but they had play when I wiggled them from top to bottom.

Replaced them with Mahle aftermarket links. The old links you could grab the thread of a ball joint with two fingers and bounce the whole link up and down on any ball thread. Well the links were in the car for 8 years so I would suppose they needed replacing soon.

No noises now and steering more direct and suspension firmer.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 289 Posts
'10 C63
Thanks man! Can you post a link to the new parts you got?
Old 02-03-2017, 07:19 AM

Sorry Chris, only see your post now, don't think the link will help you as it is a South African company that imports OE German parts for all German cars here but the brand is Mahle

Heres some info about them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahle_GmbH

And here is their website:

http://www.mahle.com/mahle/en/
Old 05-03-2017, 03:46 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
c63 amg PP (w204)
I'm experiencing a similar problem - faint knocking sound at slow speeds.

i had my strut mount bearings changed (I decided not to change the strut hats as they seem not to be a wear item), also changed the stabilizer end links.

The sound is still there unfortunately.

Two different dealerships checked my suspension and failed to locate the problem, giving wrong advice. One of them even told me to change my front shocks. I decided to check them on MAHA shock absorber and suspension testing machine. The test showed zero wear of suspension components.

Having read this thread I need to double check the bolts of the sway bar mounts. It's either that or the steel strut mount hats.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:58 AM

C63 2009
Originally Posted by valjay
I'm experiencing a similar problem - faint knocking sound at slow speeds.

i had my strut mount bearings changed (I decided not to change the strut hats as they seem not to be a wear item), also changed the stabilizer end links.

The sound is still there unfortunately.

Two different dealerships checked my suspension and failed to locate the problem, giving wrong advice. One of them even told me to change my front shocks. I decided to check them on MAHA shock absorber and suspension testing machine. The test showed zero wear of suspension components.

Having read this thread I need to double check the bolts of the sway bar mounts. It's either that or the steel strut mount hats.
have you check the bump stop? it might ve sitting on the shock shaft causing noise.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:00 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
c63 amg PP (w204)
Originally Posted by jay rick
have you check the bump stop? it might ve sitting on the shock shaft causing noise.
I haven't! The noise is metallic, I doubt the bump stop could cause it
Old 07-06-2017, 06:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
05E55-05CL500-02E430
Originally Posted by shaun.barnard
Checked the sway bar bushes and they looked fine and in their place then felt the end links and they were so worn you could wiggle them and twist them from side to side easily. Jacked up the car and couldn't wiggle the wheels from left to right but they had play when I wiggled them from top to bottom.

Replaced them with Mahle aftermarket links. The old links you could grab the thread of a ball joint with two fingers and bounce the whole link up and down on any ball thread. Well the links were in the car for 8 years so I would suppose they needed replacing soon.

No noises now and steering more direct and suspension firmer.
now this looks sexy
Old 07-07-2017, 07:36 AM

C63
Originally Posted by IS2000
I have an 09' C63 with 25K miles which I purchased back in December last year (car had 23K miles back then). Recently, the front suspension area started to develop faint knocking noises on both sides of the car. The sound is quite similar to loose sway bar end links but at much quieter volumn. The noise occurs mostly when hitting small bumps or rough roads at slow speed but sometimes I could hear this at up to 45mph if there are sharp bumps or joints on the freeways. Going over a smooth speed bump doesn't trigger the sound.
I already changed out the end links but it did not fix the problem. The other suspension parts and bushings are still tight and looking brand new.
My other mechanic is suggesting that it could be coming from the struts or the strut mount bearings. Do worn out struts make knocking sounds? I read some of the older threads here also suggesting that this could be from worn out strut mount bearings, but I would love to get this fixed in one take. Parts for the C63 are special order only from where I live and cost about 40% higher than those in EU and states.
Thanks in advance.
Mark
I have this knocking sound at slow speed too! Checked the entire suspension, all is well! Where this sound no one can understand! (Car C63 W204)
Old 07-21-2017, 02:48 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by valjay
I haven't! The noise is metallic, I doubt the bump stop could cause it
My experience, I have been battling this same clunking issue for months. Change my strut bearings and still experienced the clunk metallic noise at low speed and high speed over sharp bump especially on the driver side. Car drives fine. Indi shops blamed this on my KW V3 and advised I might have a bad front left strut. Checked my entire suspension and no play what so ever. I gave up and took it to a dealer that I have a relationship with. Bam! caused was my engine mount and tranny mount collapsed. Weird is that it never exhibited any typical bad engine mount behavior (leak, vibration, flexing, etc.). No more noise, but they raped me pretty bad on the labor.