pano roof knocking sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 c63 coupe
pano roof knocking sound

Hi guys I am first here on this forum
I got some knocking sound when I am driving. And I think it comes from the middle side of the pano roof. And the problem becomes seriously these days and its really annoying.
Then I took my car to my local dealer and ask for lubricate work and he just quoted me about 200 of inspect, and the guy told me if something have to change inside the roof, it will cost few hundreds
So anyone here had the same problem with me? Should I leave it until the next service. (My car is out of warranty)

(problem was solved)
Just got a krytox GPL205 and applied on the sail around the pano roof and all the noise go away) and it just costed 20 bucks
you guys with the same problem can apply the same method and i would like the see the result

Last edited by Jayckc; 05-25-2016 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Merc c63 AMG Coupe, Lexus LX450 Suv
I'm really sorry to hear of that problem!

I can tell I've dealt with it myself.

2012c63 coupe w/ pano roof.

Knocking sound from pano started 6 months after I got the car. Sound was loud "knock" from rear right corner, happened usually with any body flex, like changing from flat to steep terrain.

Was "fixed" initially under warranty w/ lubrication and reseating of the pano components, nothing had to be replaced.

Started again1.5 years later under warranty, fixed again.

Had it looked at one more time 2.5 years after purchase and knocking resolved.

However, constant "creak" sounds till occurs to this day at the pano.
I had it looked at 3x, improved, however problem never went away.

I would expect you can get the knocking resolved fairly easily, but the creaks may never resolve. Good Luck. Next sports car I get will NEVER have this pano roof (heat and noise are TOO big of an issue for me).
take care
Old 05-22-2016, 01:23 AM

2012 c63 coupe
that sucks with those expensive cars. Anyway thanks for the advice
And do you know any DIY solution to fix this problem, or any body can do the lubricate work?
Old 05-22-2016, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 507 with BS Body; 2008 SLK 55
My car is in the shop for the same thing right now. My tech is a really detailed, diligent guy and he says it will be a big deal to fix. He needs to take the roof liner off and get inside, then spray a foam in there etc. He found a service bulleting describing the work. My car was not supposed to be in the affected VIN range, but the noise proves otherwise. Thank god for warranty. Maybe body braces will help too, thinking about it.

I have a really stiff Clubsport suspension, and significantly wider track than stock (about 4 inches). That probably increases bodyflex.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 P31 black/black
All fixes are temporary. The noise will return along with many other rattles. Search the forum.

Unfortunately the cars interior is not good with noises.

Running the car into a tree at high speed is probably the only perminante fix.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:05 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
C43 AMG Sedan Update GLE 43 SVU - A200 W177
Common problem.

I had a similar problem early days with my car. Went back to the dealer a couple of times to fix.
I'd say that was a good 3 years ago.. no rattles or squeaks since.

Good luck
Old 05-24-2016, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Originally Posted by Forest Jim
Common problem.
I had a similar problem early days with my car. Went back to the dealer a couple of times to fix.
I'd say that was a good 3 years ago.. no rattles or squeaks since.
Good luck
Same here, a rifle-shot sort of a snap when the body flexed. Dealer fixed under warranty a couple years ago, no issues since. My recollection is that the dealer said he just tightened the pano roof bolts.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
My car going in for same thing

Never again ... Pano
Old 05-25-2016, 12:19 AM

2012 c63 coupe
problem solved
The following users liked this post:
Forest Jim (05-25-2016)
Old 07-06-2017, 11:06 AM

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts
2012 C63, 2014 E550
Have the same issue in my 2012 coupe. It's not "very loud" but definitely "loud enough to notice and complain about". Called the dealer and they said it's not covered so looks like I'm going to get my hands dirty.

Seems to happen on the right side of pano roof when car's right side is under compression. In other words, when turning right onto a speed bump or raised surface, the right chassis "compresses" while the left chassis stretches. And there is a nasty, low pitched, cracking sound, not high pitched squeeking or rattling (which I have in my dash T_T). It sounds like the glass is about to crack.

How do I fix this? Searched around a lot and decided to bump this thread. Just proper lubing? Thinking of taking the whole dam Pano out and putting some CF to reduce weight for the track. Would fix this problem permanently since many posters here reported that the dealership fixes it but only very temporarily.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C63
Originally Posted by NotABaller
Have the same issue in my 2012 coupe. It's not "very loud" but definitely "loud enough to notice and complain about". Called the dealer and they said it's not covered so looks like I'm going to get my hands dirty.

Seems to happen on the right side of pano roof when car's right side is under compression. In other words, when turning right onto a speed bump or raised surface, the right chassis "compresses" while the left chassis stretches. And there is a nasty, low pitched, cracking sound, not high pitched squeeking or rattling (which I have in my dash T_T). It sounds like the glass is about to crack.

How do I fix this? Searched around a lot and decided to bump this thread. Just proper lubing? Thinking of taking the whole dam Pano out and putting some CF to reduce weight for the track. Would fix this problem permanently since many posters here reported that the dealership fixes it but only very temporarily.
Same here. Backing out of my driveway this morning I heard a loud crack/pop sound from the pano.

The rattling from the dash drives me nuts too.. trying to find a video showing how to remove the main console/radio cover to try and fix it.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:24 AM

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts
2012 C63, 2014 E550
Originally Posted by triplezone
Same here. Backing out of my driveway this morning I heard a loud crack/pop sound from the pano.

The rattling from the dash drives me nuts too.. trying to find a video showing how to remove the main console/radio cover to try and fix it.
Yeah I feel your pain, brother. The rattling from the dash sounds like little lose coins. Or my AMG engineer forgot some skittles in the radio box or whatever. Ive looked everywhere and cant seem to find the problem.

I'm more concerned about the pano roof though. Wouldnt want 220 lbs (or was it 75lbs? have seen both figures here) of glass dropping on my head while I'm behind the wheel. CF roof group buy anyone?

Going to try the video solution in this thread. Post #41. https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...a-sunroof.html

Last edited by NotABaller; 07-06-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:58 PM

Received 125 Likes on 107 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG 507 Edition
The roof won't just fall in, and I haven't heard of the roof cracking. It's just annoying.
I had the problem on my car. Took it to the dealership. The removed the roof lining, and tightened up the roof.
It's been fine since then.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:01 PM

2013 C 63 AMG ( 204), JCW Mini Cooper ( autocross )
Pano fix-long term

I know this is an old thread but I can now procliam mine is solved ! have a great body shop. He said he would drop the head liner and re torque everything. After 12 months ( incl autoi-x and track ) it has not come back.