C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Cracking Nappa Leather - Tips and Tricks?

Old 08-10-2016, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63
Cracking Nappa Leather - Tips and Tricks?

Hey guys,

This topic has probably been addressed before (I ran a quick search but did not come up with anything), but does anyone have any tips on how to treat/repair leather that is cracking on our nappa leather seats? Only the driver-side bolsters have started to crack and chip (the cracks and chipped leather are now gray as opposed to black). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2016, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
I love our seats, but the side bolsters are - by their very design - prone to scratches and other wear. I would see a leather or upholstery repair place (preferably with automotive experience) and get them to look at it. They can do some pretty amazing things these days. You can also get new oem leather pieces for the seats and have the old ones replaced at the dealer. I'm always very careful when I get in and out of my seats..

Last edited by wawy; 08-11-2016 at 01:07 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:51 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
W204 C63
I've heard Leatherique does amazing things for leather.

Never tried though. If I keep the car, it'll get a re-wrap of the interior likely.

http://www.leatherique.com/
Old 08-11-2016, 12:28 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Phil Chow
I've heard Leatherique does amazing things for leather.

Never tried though. If I keep the car, it'll get a re-wrap of the interior likely.

http://www.leatherique.com/
I just got this for my car, I plan on using this weekend, I'll update with before/after pics
Old 08-11-2016, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,572 Likes on 925 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
There's so many before and after pics on the internetz for Leatherique.

Looks like it performs sorcery.
http://forums.780tuners.com/showthre...cation-How-To&
Old 08-11-2016, 12:37 PM

2012 C63
Thanks for all the updates, guys!

Originally Posted by Tlnt60
I just got this for my car, I plan on using this weekend, I'll update with before/after pics
Great! I'd love to see the before and after!
Old 08-11-2016, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
I use it regularly. Love Leatherique so much! Besides my drivers seat bolster (unavoidable no matter how careful I am), the rest of the seats in the car literally look brand new. Even the driver's seat besides the left bolster and left seat bottom look brand new.

I use their prestine clean whenever I feel the white isn't looking as white as it should, and probably do the whole rejuvanating process about 3 times a year.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:19 PM

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts
W463
Leatherique works great! I used a similar technique but with more OCD. Here are some additional steps to make it even more flawless:

Apply more oil to the cracks, creases on the side bolster, bottom cushion, etc. Using a hair dryer, make the leather as soft as possible. The heat will help shrink the leather back to its original shape while the oil is keeps it from drying out. If it starts to dry out, add a bit more oil to keep it saturated.

Rub out the bigger cracks,creases with your thumb (trim your nails), while pressing firmly and in a circular motion. I used a soft bristle boar brush afterwards to get the hair thin creases.

Most people add the conditioner afterwards and call it day. But will notice even after the rejuvenating oil process. It will still leave a "patina" imprint so I use a 2 step dying technique using a water based leather dye only.
http://shop.fiebing.com/c/leathercra...rs-water-based

Since the patina areas are usually light/dark grey compared to the supple black Nappa leather.First I wipe off any excess oil then I use the Dark Brown leather dye and dilute the solution with clean distilled water (2:1 ratio using more water than dye).

Lightly dab the solution using a cotton *****,Q-tips, etc and apply to the areas needed. You want a very thin layer of diluted brown dye (1-2 layers) and let dry. The idea is the get the patina as dark as possible so it color matches and accepts the black dye correctly.

Next I use the Black leather dye solution mixed (1:1 ratio equal parts) and repeat the above until it matches the black leather as close as possible. Wipe off the excess dye on the areas you overlapped. You can also use the same method on door panels/handle, etc to bring the color back from scratches. Make sure it is 100% dry and you can now apply the conditioner to seal, protect your hard work.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Wow, good information there on leather care. Certainly quite intensive and lots of hard work.

I am the kind of person who would spec MB-Tex on all surfaces if it's available.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by otakki
Wow, good information there on leather care. Certainly quite intensive and lots of hard work.

I am the kind of person who would spec MB-Tex on all surfaces if it's available.
The car has beautiful seats, what's 6-7 hours twice a year to keep them looking great??
Old 08-12-2016, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by Ernst V Bauer
Leatherique works great! I used a similar technique but with more OCD. Here are some additional steps to make it even more flawless:

Apply more oil to the cracks, creases on the side bolster, bottom cushion, etc. Using a hair dryer, make the leather as soft as possible. The heat will help shrink the leather back to its original shape while the oil is keeps it from drying out. If it starts to dry out, add a bit more oil to keep it saturated.

Rub out the bigger cracks,creases with your thumb (trim your nails), while pressing firmly and in a circular motion. I used a soft bristle boar brush afterwards to get the hair thin creases.

Most people add the conditioner afterwards and call it day. But will notice even after the rejuvenating oil process. It will still leave a "patina" imprint so I use a 2 step dying technique using a water based leather dye only.
http://shop.fiebing.com/c/leathercra...rs-water-based

Since the patina areas are usually light/dark grey compared to the supple black Nappa leather.First I wipe off any excess oil then I use the Dark Brown leather dye and dilute the solution with clean distilled water (2:1 ratio using more water than dye).

Lightly dab the solution using a cotton *****,Q-tips, etc and apply to the areas needed. You want a very thin layer of diluted brown dye (1-2 layers) and let dry. The idea is the get the patina as dark as possible so it color matches and accepts the black dye correctly.

Next I use the Black leather dye solution mixed (1:1 ratio equal parts) and repeat the above until it matches the black leather as close as possible. Wipe off the excess dye on the areas you overlapped. You can also use the same method on door panels/handle, etc to bring the color back from scratches. Make sure it is 100% dry and you can now apply the conditioner to seal, protect your hard work.

Not gonna go through all the dying steps as I have a two-tone and its black/white, but I definitely am going to try that hair dryer technique! Makes sense and should work.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:54 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
W204 C63
The shop that I go to has Leatherique, going to let them have a go at it in my car to see.

Although I have the "White/Tan" Leather Seats, and they still look very new, doesn't hurt to give it a pass.

Drivers side bolster, not much can be done about that, lol.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:50 AM

2012 C63
Just seeing if anyone had any updates and/or before and after comparisons.

Thanks!
Old 09-30-2016, 08:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bmw m5 , c63

Before vs after is Swissvax Leather healer
The following users liked this post:
chrisridebike8 (09-30-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 01:16 PM

2012 C63
Originally Posted by Terryamg04

Before vs after is Swissvax Leather healer
Looks great! Which color did you end up ordering for the leather healer? I may go this route.