Sponsored by:

Comparing tires for my C63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 01:32 PM

Received 205 Likes on 146 Posts
C63 amg Custom 67 Camaro GLK 350 4matic 2017 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by simandang
I have a chance to get some almost new LM60 in the stock 19 c63 size for dirt cheap, does anyone experience with LM60?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....170109183126:s
Old 01-09-2017, 01:34 PM

Received 87 Likes on 58 Posts
G63/RR LWB/W222 S550
The guy selling his in size 235/35/19, 255/35/19 load rating was only 91h on those and non RFT. I am getting them for a steal pretty much the price of one new tire + shipping.

My p zero nero tires are shot right now in the back and while i don't drive in the snow even in the freezing cold they are not the best.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 908 Likes on 638 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by Mazspeed
Michelin Pilot Super Sport are the best All season tires for this car bottom line.
But it all depends what you want and need out of the tire. The Conti extreme is only ok. The Super sport is by far the better all around tire you will find right now for this car in my opinion.
I'm not looking to get into a tizzy with you. You want to talk about relevance while saying the MPSS is "the best all season tire" while say the contiextremes are just "okay."

Then...

I don't have any C63 snow experience, but I have tire experience and tire testing experience in all weather, so I do have some experience there.

Having said that, when I generalize tires for the car, I don't think of snow because if you have a C63, in my mind you probably have another car to drive in the snow. So I sort of through that out.
If you had the tire experience where others should take your word then you wouldn't suggest an MPSS is an all season tire.

And people DD the c63, year round, as their only car. Shouldn't assume that because someone has a c63 they have something else for the snow so there's that.

Not even remotely relevant. All wheel drive, spiked tires on a closed packed course. No road with other cars on a hard icy surface. Big difference in itself. Although this has snow on it, it's not icy. What part of this is relevant to the OP's question? You could not use these tires with what he was asking? Plus you would not drive with these in the rain. Not all weather.

"People act like the second you hit the throttle in a dusting you'll spin off into oblivion"

You absolutely could.
Relevant in the sense that is a lambo in the snow. Listen, driving in the snow is a matter of practice, experience, and confidence. That's the point of the video, have confidence in knowing that you can get a c63 down the road on snow tires if a lambo can climb up a mountain. Some people need to see things like that in order to build up a trust/confidence in the car they have and getting down the road.

As for spinning off and absolutely being able to, please explain how? If you mash the gas on a dry day it takes you a second to get going. On snow if you mash it you won't even move.

You even talk about the light throttle in the car and how it's hard to control it... Does your foot weigh 50 pounds because you can make a c63 feel like it has less power than a Prius if you want to.

I would never use my C63 in the snow. Too much torque. You can drift an 80's Toyota in the snow.
I can drift my bicycle in the snow and my little legs can't even put out 1hp I bet.

The Tokyo R888 is a great example of this. It is a tire that works great on a 3200lb car, but is dreadful on a 3800lb car.
Dads ran R888's and was one of the most if not the most well versed c63 owner with extreme builds, track time, etc.

I wouldn't use the Conti's on the track.
Did you want us to know you track cars? Because the OP never mentioned anything about tracking his if you want to talk about relevance. But I agree with you here, I also wouldn't use an all season on the track.

And then there's this:

I don't have any C63 snow experience

Again, I'm not trying to start a tizzy here but you come out of left field talking about relevance and driving in the snow... but made the above contributions...

When you're driving in snow the main concern isn't even the process of getting a car going, but the process of slowing it down and stopping. The amount of power a car has is mostly irrelevant for people that have driven and know how to drive in snow.

And all of this stemming from a question about driving in Dallas freakin' Texas where you can run MPSS (A summer, not all season tire) year round. I'm glad the OP is going with that tire.

I'll even admit, I've had both of my c63's in snow on MPSS tires and I'm still alive. Never spun off into oblivion tapping on that on/off switch where I'm putting out instant WOT electric torque.... For reference, I live in Western NY... We get a little snow here. My neighboring area got 88 inches (OVER 7 FEET!) of snow in less that 4 days.

I also come from one of the coldest and snowiest places in the country. If your history in Lake Tahoe applies then my history does too.

Basically, I know a thing or two about snow and driving in it. We dove into snow much deeper than we even had to on this thread because again, it's Dallas.

Again, I feel like I need to reinforce I'm not try to start things up with you because I feel like we have gone at it in the past (can't remember) which is why I think you went out of your way to point out my pointless post. I know I can be a little annoying, but at least I'm not giving people bad info.
The following users liked this post:
mrdisaster24 (01-10-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
I have a chance to get some almost new LM60 in the stock 19 c63 size for dirt cheap, does anyone experience with LM60?
Blizzak's are sweet in the snow, but they do wear quickly so on this car it will be especially quick. However, they do work very well for a snow tire and if you can get them dirt cheap why not?

If you're shopping around though, you should really check out Nokian Hakkapeliitta r2's. Similar performance to the Blizzak if not even better in the snow but they also last much longer.

The LM60 will treat you well though.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,597 Likes on 940 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
They are excellent.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63, Porsche 911 C2, 2000 Ford Ranger, HD DynaLow
Driving in the rain

I am taking delivery of my C63 (2012, <6,000 mi) this week. I am originally from Chicago, and accordingly have too much experience in driving in/on snow (fresh, hard packed, and icy). Here in Healdsburg (Sonoma County) that is not an issue thank God. And yes it does rain in Chicago (but not like the fire hose we had this past weekend), but the vehicles I owned there while quick had nowhere near the torque of the C63.

I have successfully raced a lot in the rain, but we changed the set up of the car significantly (i.e. gearing, shock settings, disconnected sway bars, etc.), and put on proper tread design rain tires. In the rain I am assuming the trick to keeping the pointy end of the C63 in front, is simply to use a soft go pedal and common sense. Are all season tires fine for the winter rains? If the rain is bad enough I can drive my truck, as I did yesterday, but all things being even remotely equal, I didn't buy the 63 for it to sit in the garage.

Thoughts, ideas?

Thanks
Old 01-09-2017, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
I'm not looking to get into a tizzy with you. You want to talk about relevance while saying the MPSS is "the best all season tire" while say the contiextremes are just "okay."

Then...

If you had the tire experience where others should take your word then you wouldn't suggest an MPSS is an all season tire.

Ratings & reviews Michelin Pilot Super Sport

CONSUMER SURVEYS
Based on 1,130 submissions of our online survey. Average Rating:

Performance Category: Max Performance Summer

Compare Ratings for All Tires in This Category
  • Survey Stats
  • 7,198,247 Total Miles Reported
  • 1 out of 30 in Max Performance Summer Tires
  • 100% vs. best in Max Performance Summer Tires
Would You Recommend?
8.9 - Excellent

+
-

Wet Performance
9.0 - Excellent
  • 9.0 Hydroplaning Resistance
  • 9.0 Wet Traction
+
-

Dry Performance
9.5 - Excellent
  • 9.5 Cornering Stability
  • 9.6 Dry Traction
  • 9.4 Steering Response
Winter/Snow Performance
N/A

+
-

Comfort Performance
8.8 - Excellent
  • 8.9 Ride Quality
  • 8.7 Noise
Treadwear Performance
8.2 - Good

Note: Consumer Survey Ratings are from 0-10 with 10 being the highest.

And people DD the c63, year round, as their only car. Shouldn't assume that because someone has a c63 they have something else for the snow so there's that.

Perhaps, but having lived in the stuff, most people drive 4x4 trucks and all wheel drive cars in the winter. Just makes sense to most.

Relevant in the sense that is a lambo in the snow. Listen, driving in the snow is a matter of practice, experience, and confidence. That's the point of the video, have confidence in knowing that you can get a c63 down the road on snow tires if a lambo can climb up a mountain. Some people need to see things like that in order to build up a trust/confidence in the car they have and getting down the road.

As for spinning off and absolutely being able to, please explain how? If you mash the gas on a dry day it takes you a second to get going. On snow if you mash it you won't even move.

Well when you hit the throttle on a car with that much torque and this touchy of a throttle, driving in the rain or snow makes it that much more dangerous. I would have thought that was obvious.

You even talk about the light throttle in the car and how it's hard to control it... Does your foot weigh 50 pounds because you can make a c63 feel like it has less power than a Prius if you want to.

Dead wrong. Please tell me that you're kidding on this one. Now a C63 can feel as if you have less power than a prius?? Oooooook.

I can drift my bicycle in the snow and my little legs can't even put out 1hp I bet.

Sounds like fun.

Dads ran R888's and was one of the most if not the most well versed c63 owner with extreme builds, track time, etc.

That's great. It's still a bad tire for the C63. In fact it's not a good tire for heavy cars.
The tire's sidewall is not very strong, it get's louder the more weight that is put on it and doesn't last very long especially on heavy cars. Google Toyo Proxies 888 on heavy cars. I am by far not the only one saying it.

Did you want us to know you track cars? Because the OP never mentioned anything about tracking his if you want to talk about relevance. But I agree with you here, I also wouldn't use an all season on the track.

I don't think I ever mentioned I race or track cars in this thread at all, did I?

And then there's this:

Again, I'm not trying to start a tizzy here but you come out of left field talking about relevance and driving in the snow... but made the above contributions...

No offence taken, just a vast difference in opinions.

When you're driving in snow the main concern isn't even the process of getting a car going, but the process of slowing it down and stopping. The amount of power a car has is mostly irrelevant for people that have driven and know how to drive in snow.

You assume everyone is a good driver these days when that's far from the case.

And all of this stemming from a question about driving in Dallas freakin' Texas where you can run MPSS (A summer, not all season tire) year round. I'm glad the OP is going with that tire.

I'll even admit, I've had both of my c63's in snow on MPSS tires and I'm still alive. Never spun off into oblivion tapping on that on/off switch where I'm putting out instant WOT electric torque.... For reference, I live in Western NY... We get a little snow here. My neighboring area got 88 inches (OVER 7 FEET!) of snow in less that 4 days.

I also come from one of the coldest and snowiest places in the country. If your history in Lake Tahoe applies then my history does too.

Never said it didn't.

Basically, I know a thing or two about snow and driving in it. We dove into snow much deeper than we even had to on this thread because again, it's Dallas.

Again, I feel like I need to reinforce I'm not try to start things up with you because I feel like we have gone at it in the past (can't remember) which is why I think you went out of your way to point out my pointless post. I know I can be a little annoying, but at least I'm not giving people bad info.

I'm giving people info on my personal experiences and tire experiences. If I don't know the answer to something, I don't chime in, but when I do, I try and help.

Hope this helps or is readable on my part.

This link should be a tell all on the MPSS tire in the wet.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...pe&autoModClar=

Last edited by Mazspeed; 01-09-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
It is readable and thanks for the responses.

As for the Michelin ratings, the aren't rating the performance of it up against all seasons and winter tires but other "Max Performance Summer" which is what they are listed at, not all seasons.

The Prius thing... I can lose a race to a Prius in a C63. Sure, the Prius would be going WOT and the C63 wouldn't, but that doesn't matter here. What matters is if you can't control the car, and torque, then you shouldn't be in it. And you can. It's not like the c63 throws you into the seat every single time you go.

Again, driving in snow isn't about going, it's about stopping.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by fkfleischli
is simply to use a soft go pedal and common sense. Are all season tires fine for the winter rains?
Soft pedal and common sense and you're good. If you've driven in snow for quite a while then the c63 is no different than another car. All the torque doesn't have to be there (at all) if you don't want it to.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Dead wrong. Please tell me that you're kidding on this one. Now a C63 can feel as if you have less power than a prius?? Oooooook.=
According to the below dyno sheet. As long as you stay below 2k rpm it looks like you can.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:33 PM

It is readable and thanks for the responses.

As for the Michelin ratings, the aren't rating the performance of it up against all seasons and winter tires but other "Max Performance Summer" which is what they are listed at, not all seasons.

The Prius thing... I can lose a race to a Prius in a C63. Sure, the Prius would be going WOT and the C63 wouldn't, but that doesn't matter here. What matters is if you can't control the car, and torque, then you shouldn't be in it. And you can. It's not like the c63 throws you into the seat every single time you go.

Again, driving in snow isn't about going, it's about stopping.

I would argue that the MPSS is a very good winter tire. It's not a snow tire mind you, but it is very very good as a wet tire, which would be all weather even though it's not thought of as one. I would stack it up against any "all weather" tires in the wet alone.

The C63 has a touchy gas pedal and it has a slight delay. That alone can be challenging on a snowy surface no matter the tire due to the car being a torque monster. Yes it can be feathered, but it's far from ideal. There are times that I am lazy at a stop, then slightly push the throttle down a bit too much and the car spins. This is with race tires and limited slip on a dry street. You have to be on your game in the snow with this thing.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jasonoff
According to the below dyno sheet. As long as you stay below 2k rpm it looks like you can.

Someone dynoed a Prius? lol
Old 01-09-2017, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
Oh and the "all seasons" that provide a false sense of security are safer/faster? Tests have shown that all seasons perform nearly the same as summer tires in cold or winter conditions. So sacrificing dry performance for no reason makes no sense to me. And PSS are great for commuting since they last forever. My rears lasted 16k including a couple burnouts and quite a bit of hard driving around town.
Thank you

Originally Posted by mrdisaster24
Thanks for input everyone.

So I've made the decision to get the Michelin PSSs. As stated by multiple users on here, 9/10 times I won't require winter/all season tires around Dallas. In the case, that it does snow here, most of Dallas shuts down anyway.. haha.

But I have other cars, with more capable tires, so I probably won't take the C63 out in the snow anyway.
Also thank you.

MPSS is just about the best all around DD tire. It really is the jack of all trades and the master at none.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Someone dynoed a Prius? lol
Mad gains with this hot air intake...

http://www.injen-europe.com/toyota/p...ke-system.html
Old 01-09-2017, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jasonoff
Mad gains with this hot air intake...

http://www.injen-europe.com/toyota/p...ke-system.html

Love it.

In my opinion the best way to make a Prius fast is to drop it off the cliff.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:05 PM

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts
2013 C63 AMG
I would argue that the MPSS is a very good winter tire. It's not a snow tire mind you, but it is very very good as a wet tire, which would be all weather even though it's not thought of as one. I would stack it up against any "all weather" tires in the wet alone.

The C63 has a touchy gas pedal and it has a slight delay. That alone can be challenging on a snowy surface no matter the tire due to the car being a torque monster. Yes it can be feathered, but it's far from ideal. There are times that I am lazy at a stop, then slightly push the throttle down a bit too much and the car spins. This is with race tires and limited slip on a dry street. You have to be on your game in the snow with this thing.
You can argue that, and you'd be wrong. It's a summer tire. It's not designed for winter temperatures, at least what most of us would consider winter temperatures (ie. not winter in Hawaii).
The following users liked this post:
CarHopper (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
You have to be on your game in the snow with this thing.
Yes, you do. And now I'm convinced you have a 50 pound foot if a moment of laziness is getting you to break loose on track tires on dry pavement with an LSD. It's either that or you're full of it, but you aren't that so it must be a 50 pound foot Or maybe you were in the Camaro? (You've got a beast Camaro, right? Old school?)

MPSS are not a winter tire. Period. Just because it has wet performance does not make it a winter tire. Once it dips below a certain temp they become solid as a rock and are basically useless. Add in just rain to the cold, screwed. Add in snow and cold, yeah right.

Like, I understand what you're saying and much of what you say works for me. But I wont sit here and let someone say an MPSS is a winter tire, snow or not. That's all really.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
I dunno, I'm not that gentle with the throttle in the snow. It's a heavy tank, planted for the most part.

Nannies disabled in the city, they impede way more than they assist. Nannies enabled on the hwy and she's very stable.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:35 PM
DP8

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
E90 M3, '13 C63 Sedan
I have direct experience with driving my E90 M3 with almost full tread MPSS in light slush and snow in the Boston area. I would say Boston gets a decent amount of snow and all major highways are typically pre-treated with sand/salt when a big storm is expected. Not as crazy snow as other areas, however I cannot stress enough that if you live in an area that gets snow in the winter please never drive your car with MPSS when it is below freezing and there is actual accumulated snow (even just 1 or 2 inches) on the ground. You may be able to go straight and even turn a little but your stopping time and distance will be severely hampered and you will have traction issues. Honestly, you'll be a danger to yourself and others and why would you want to risk your nice car! Tirerack's review above literally has N/A for Winter/Snow ratings for the MPSS I think that's a pretty strong indicator that it is not meant for winter. I've heard the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 have good snow traction for a All-Season tire and they are highly rated by Tirerack - if I wanted only one set of tires I would probably go for those but the MPSS are too good anytime outside of winter to pass up.

Ironically, I was driving my car up a an incline to a tire place that is very close to me to get my MPSS swapped out with my winter set up of Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds and I barely made it up a straight incline about 50 yards to the tire place. Traction was almost non-existent even on very light throttle. Only caveat I have is that the MPSS are fine in the cold when it is completely dry and driven sensibly but do you want to risk driving around on tires that literally don't work in snow or on black ice at all? They feel like hockey pucks when it's below freezing.

I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my C63 now and tread on my rears are almost gone. It snowed this weekend about 6 total inches and I had very very poor traction in about 2 inches of packed snow early on in the storm. I actually had to leave my car in a parking lot overnight as when I left the house the roads were clear but by the time I was driving home the roads will 2 inches of packed snow and not yet plowed. I am replacing the tires this week as my C63 is my everyday car.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:43 PM

Yes, you do. And now I'm convinced you have a 50 pound foot if a moment of laziness is getting you to break loose on track tires on dry pavement with an LSD. It's either that or you're full of it, but you aren't that so it must be a 50 pound foot Or maybe you were in the Camaro? (You've got a beast Camaro, right? Old school?)

MPSS are not a winter tire. Period. Just because it has wet performance does not make it a winter tire. Once it dips below a certain temp they become solid as a rock and are basically useless. Add in just rain to the cold, screwed. Add in snow and cold, yeah right.

Like, I understand what you're saying and much of what you say works for me. But I wont sit here and let someone say an MPSS is a winter tire, snow or not. That's all really.
Yes I have a lead foot. That might make it more clear. But driving the camaro VS the AMG are very different torque heavy cars. The delay the AMG has bugs me, and sometimes it's much slower on the take up than any of my other cars.

I'd agree that the MPSS is not a winter tire, but for a high performance tire, it works very well in the rain. Since the OP is in Texas, I didn't think snow would be an issue. So perhaps I worded wrong by saying its a winter tire, BUT it's a great rain tire and as good as all seasons in the wet, yet not having to give up your dry traction. Jasonoff said it best, its great at everything but a master of none.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ambystom01
You can argue that, and you'd be wrong. It's a summer tire. It's not designed for winter temperatures, at least what most of us would consider winter temperatures (ie. not winter in Hawaii).
The OP lives in Dallas, which as far as i know doesn't get snow. Yes its not a winter tire, but the OP doesnt have snow to deal with.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by DP8
I have direct experience with driving my E90 M3 with almost full tread MPSS in light slush and snow in the Boston area. I would say Boston gets a decent amount of snow and all major highways are typically pre-treated with sand/salt when a big storm is expected. Not as crazy snow as other areas, however I cannot stress enough that if you live in an area that gets snow in the winter please never drive your car with MPSS when it is below freezing and there is actual accumulated snow (even just 1 or 2 inches) on the ground. You may be able to go straight and even turn a little but your stopping time and distance will be severely hampered and you will have traction issues. Honestly, you'll be a danger to yourself and others and why would you want to risk your nice car! Tirerack's review above literally has N/A for Winter/Snow ratings for the MPSS I think that's a pretty strong indicator that it is not meant for winter. I've heard the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 have good snow traction for a All-Season tire and they are highly rated by Tirerack - if I wanted only one set of tires I would probably go for those but the MPSS are too good anytime outside of winter to pass up.

Ironically, I was driving my car up a an incline to a tire place that is very close to me to get my MPSS swapped out with my winter set up of Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds and I barely made it up a straight incline about 50 yards to the tire place. Traction was almost non-existent even on very light throttle. Only caveat I have is that the MPSS are fine in the cold when it is completely dry and driven sensibly but do you want to risk driving around on tires that literally don't work in snow or on black ice at all? They feel like hockey pucks when it's below freezing.

I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my C63 now and tread on my rears are almost gone. It snowed this weekend about 6 total inches and I had very very poor traction in about 2 inches of packed snow early on in the storm. I actually had to leave my car in a parking lot overnight as when I left the house the roads were clear but by the time I was driving home the roads will 2 inches of packed snow and not yet plowed. I am replacing the tires this week as my C63 is my everyday car.
If you live in Boston you want to set yourself up with a dedicated winter set and a dedicated summer set.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:00 PM

Received 87 Likes on 58 Posts
G63/RR LWB/W222 S550
I ended up grabbing the LM60 the fronts are literally brand new too..... bad the rears are worn a good amount Probably half tread maybe. Should be better than my half bald camber weared out summer pzero nero tires though.

I initially got DWS for C63 but finding a 18" wheel setup was a hassle, ended up throwing those on my daily 330i. Let me tell you the DWS are fine for driving around in 3-4 inches snow flat areas but inclines, steep slopes they suck ***.

Since my summer tires were worn out and bald I figured lets see what the hype about snow tires is all about. I don't plan on driving my c63 in much snow but its nice to know its equipped now.

Any tips on driving C63 in the snow? May sound stupid but this is my first real performance car and I am still learning the car and like to get many tips/opinions from other drivers as I feel it helps so much.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:10 PM

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts
2013 C63 AMG
Drive like your mother in law is in the car and judging you.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:35 PM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
Originally Posted by Ambystom01
Drive like your mother in law is in the car and judging you.

so directly in to the nearest lamp post with no seat belt on??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Comparing tires for my C63