C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Oil change concerns.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 c63
Oil change concerns.

I used a mityvac for my oil changes at 50k and 60k. I forgot where I placed my mityvac (pretty sure i lent it to someone) and drained it from the bottom for my 70k oil change. I left the used oil in a sealed container outside, then it rained this weekend, so I'm not sure if water got in, but it doesn't seem like it. When I went to dump the oil out at pep boys earlier today, I noticed near the end, maybe a dozen minor smudges (half to 1cm) that had a metallic coloring. Should this be a concern or this is normal?

Tldr ; found sludge, freak out or no?
Old 02-20-2017, 06:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W204 AMG C63 Coupe
Wink http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

You want to start your relationship with Blackstone Labs. Send them a sample (or samples over multiple oil changes), they will give you lab results, and tell you their interpretation of the results.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Old 02-21-2017, 12:38 AM

'11 c63
oh dang, i already dumped the oil off at pep boys, i was thinking of running a seafoam through but i may hav some samples in the oil catcher, but that might be mixed with other oils so idk if that's good
Old 02-21-2017, 01:31 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
09 C63 AMG
Do you go 10k miles between changes?
Old 02-21-2017, 02:46 AM

'11 c63
Originally Posted by Mbm6f
Do you go 10k miles between changes?
I bought it at 47k, did an oil change at 50k 60k and 70k, now Im thinking i'll do it every 8k or so after seeing tiny sludges lol
Old 02-21-2017, 03:34 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C63 AMG
What are you referring to as "smudges" and "sludges"?
Old 02-21-2017, 03:36 AM

'11 c63
yeah that was a typo. i think what i found was sludge with metallic coloring. It could be old oil from a different car.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:26 AM

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
Seafoam is WONDERFUL stuff to clean the entire upper valve train in an engine, IF YOU DO IT CORRECTLY!!!!
Do NOT freak out at what you are about to read, it is the proper way to Seafoam your engine and will NOT hurt anything at all.....

With your engine at operating temperature and your car parked in a WELL ventilated area open your hood(got to love our 90° hood hinges) and find the large vacuum line going to the brake booster(left rear of engine on firewall)...Unplug the hose and check for vacuum on the engine side of hose (engine rpm will change but this is OK)....Take your can of Seafoam, open it up and place it as low as possible beside the booster with the can at a slight angle...Take the vacuum hose and insert it into the bottle....Do NOT allow the hose to contact the fluid yet..,...Now, while guiding the hose allow it to SIP in a little bit of Seafoam at a slow pace, if the engine sounds like it wants to die stop sipping and allow the engine to catch back up.....Do this until about half the bottle is gone..... Stop sipping and allow engine to catch up and run normally for about 15sec.....(DON'T PANIC HERE) at this point turn the bottle as upright as possible with the opening towards the sky and push the hose ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM OF THE CAN....The engine SHOULD choke out and die at this point!!!!......Now, put the vacuum hose back on booster, pour rest of bottle in gas tank and walk away for 1hr.....After an hour has passed crank your car(it is NOT going to want to crank but it will)....It is going to smoke like you have NEVER seen, it is GOING to scare the **** out of you.....Once it has run for about 2min go drive it hard as hell until the smoking stops...That's it, youre done and your top end is as clean as if you had pulled it apart and scrubbed it with spirits and a brush....You MAY get a CEL but it will only be the O2 sensors freaking out because they got covered in sludge but it burns off almost immediately so either reset them or they will clear themselves within a few days.....Boom, done

You clean the moving parts surface with the sipping while running but the real value of Seafoam comes when you choke it out...You are dousing the entire upper valve train with a slug of Seafoam that just sits and soaks on top of the heads while you are waiting the hour...Then when you crank it afterwards the smoke is ALL of the buildup that the soaking broke loose and freed up.....

Last edited by jptaylor; 02-21-2017 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,574 Likes on 927 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jas0ndotc0m
yeah that was a typo. i think what i found was sludge with metallic coloring. It could be old oil from a different car.
Hold up, you poured oil drained from your car into a container of used oil from another vehicle and forgot to mention that?

This whole thread is a typo...
The following 2 users liked this post by Jasonoff:
AMG3.2 (02-21-2017), c32_amg_79 (02-21-2017)