C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Just a car guy (person) wondering ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 12:05 AM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 911, 2012 C63
Just a car guy (person) wondering ...

So, I've been around here for a few years. I'm pretty quiet, though I read the site every day, and well, I've actually owned a PFL and PL and driven the crap out them for years, but yeah ... time.

So, I sit here today. My present DD is a 2012 P31 C63. Dang, I love this car. Like for reals, I do lookbacks when I park and I giggle pretty much anytime I drive it. In short, I love this car.

I can fit my kids in it (I have two, and they're not mini or amputees) and they fit and well, it goes, it goes quickly and it makes the noise I want to hear. I want to hear it ever time I get in and turn the key. Yes. So good.

So, here I sit. I love my Lunar Blue Dad-Mobile, but well, there are other cars out there ... I've driven my share of 911 turbos and I've come so ... very ... close ... to dropping an insane amount of ca$h, but they are well, surgical.
No doubt, they are fast, but dude, my Mom (who is a legit good driver and drives a stick turbo car at well) would probably be much faster than I. Anyway ...

I'm sitting on a basement of parts and wondering, who among you are, like me, thinking of crazy things ... like forgetting 440 cooling kids, and coilovers and blowers, and just buying a ZL1 or whatever ...

Yeah, I might be looking hard at a loaded ZL1 ... but dang, I do love my C63.

Is anyone else around here looking at some other fun cars? Are we even allowed to discuss fun cars anymore?

Last edited by computertom; 04-28-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
I've thought about it.

My dream car is a Porsche 911 Turbo. I've wanted that car since I was 14, and with every new update they do to it I keep finding myself falling more and more in love. While I've gone and looked online for sh*ts and giggles since my car is coming up on 5 years old, all my plans end up being "how can I keep my C63 and get another car of my choosing?" I honestly can't bear to let this car go. Like you, I look back at it, every time I drive it I am happy, the downshifts, the pops and crackles, the snarls, the low end torque that makes going from 0-40 a joy, I can't seem to want to give that up.

Long story, short, I am probably going to keep the C63 until the wheels fall off to be honest. Hopefully, just add to the collection.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG Edition 507 Coupe
I'm not considering it as strongly as you, but I do occasionally wonder if I bought the right car. Mine is a 2014 ed 507 coupe and it really ticks all the boxes for me. It's fast, it's practical (enough), it sounds better than anything of a similar price, it's a nice place to be in, etc. When I was shopping around, there were a few cars on my short list and I still wonder what it would have been like to own them.

Nissan GTR - Fastest car on my list, and equally practical. The aftermarket support for these cars is extensive, so modding would have been fun. The major downside is that I feel they have a bit of a reputation for being the first choice for anyone who is young, has a bit of money, but doesn't really know cars. They just don't feel special.

Aston Martin v12 Vantage - This is what I mean when I mention that "specialness". Not the fastest, and it's honestly a terrible price to pay... but there's really nothing like it. The v12 is one of the only cars that I can confidently say sounds better than the m156 v8. It is unique and classy without screaming "look at me". The only major downsides were the price, the cost of ownership, and the interior electronics. Seriously, the infotainment system feels as old as it is.

Audi R8 v8 - The inner child in me has always wanted to be a bit like Tony Stark. The v8 model shares a lot of parts with the RS5, so maintenance is not as bad as you'd think. It's not tremendously fast, but it feels very different with that engine behind you. This one might have been walking the line of being too flashy for me. Other than that, i think it would have been a great choice.

Whenever these thoughts pop into my head, I always decide that none of the other cars I want could do everything as well or better than my 507. I also never really thought of any other car as my "dream car" the way I did the 507. I still remember sitting in my college dorm room thinking how I'd buy an E92 M3 one day - only because the 507 would always be out of reach... Maybe for me, it's that emotional connection that matters more than all the numbers and features. Maybe that's why I still own the 2003 G35 that I drove in high school
Old 04-28-2017, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
I've had a 911 Turbo before. Loved that car, it was fast, but it wasn't rewarding to drive well. It was almost too easy. And that also takes the fun out of it. Point and stomp the gas and go.

I also still just look at my car and smile. And the sound also does that every time. It's not the fastest thing out there or the most advanced. But it gives you a visceral experience in a well-rounded package that is tough to beat. And for me, when I drive it right, I feel a real sense of accomplishment.

I decided after this winter that I'm all-in for the long haul. Epic engine, DTM looks, muscle-car persona big and hulking, nice interior to sit in. I like it.

For me, only a GT3 (for obvious reasons), AMG GTS/GTR (I'm not totally in love with the looks, but they drive great) or maybe a Z06 (first time in my life I've ever seriously considered one) could replace my C63. I like the McLarens but can't justify that kind of money now - will see how much the 570S depreciates in the next few years.

Last edited by BLKROKT; 04-28-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
One that has caught my eye lately, if I was going for more of that "supercar" look, are the v10 R8's. Those have come quite a ways down in price and don't even act like you wouldn't look back every time you got out of it.

I've had a p-turbo as well. Buying one as modified as mine was probably was a mistake as it kind of left me mad at myself for even buying it thus not really being a fan of p-turbo's. However, the 991's are serious machines so if I were to dive back into one it would be a completely stock never touched 991 turbo.

If I had the money I'd probably get another c63, too. I miss that car. Not the best or fastest thing out there but man it is a lot of fun. The type of fun you can only appreciate in owning one.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 W204
Side Note: I really appreciate this post because it shows how much of a car enthusiast people are. You will have some people that stick to one brand or car because that is all they know. Good on them because that is their choice. - I really consider this car a budget super. You can take it for what you want but compare it to other cars when it came out, this car was ludicrous. Big V8 in one of their smallest cars? You can't beat the old recipe. But GTRs have crossed my mind. Mostly because of their potential. I do enjoy the fact though that there are so few of us compared to the GTR. I just see this car as being a future classic. - Connor P.S. Yes I feel to young to have this car. 23
Old 04-28-2017, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
A fellow C63 owner and I have been discussing replacements or additions to the stable to the W204 C63 AMG. Every car we have torn apart does not add up to:
1. Cost and ease of Mod-ability
2. HP
3. Torque
4. Craftsmanship-compared to Porsche, Maserati, BMW, Audi....the car is VERY well made. Some of the interior components could be better but overall doors pieces, plastics and clear coats, etc are not falling apart
5. PRICE! This car was purchased new for about $65K!! ALL THIS POWER AND CAR FOR $65K
6. Looks
7. Yearly expense and maintenance
8. Sound
9. Robustness
10. 100% Made in Germany

If you look at some cars, you see doors and interior pieces just coming apart, matte plastics pealing after a couple years, electronic issues, lack of sound, lack of power....

Honestly thus far there has been nothing I have wanted to dish out money for. And if I did, it would have to be $100K and over to get this much car.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
I also can't think of a suitable replacement for mine (granted, it's a W212).

If we were gifted a manual tranny for the E60 M5 like you guys in the USA, I'd probably consider that, but even then, that car isn't anywhere near as reliable as a good 6.2

OP - if you aren't yearning for anything new, it's because your current car is still pressing all the right buttons
Old 04-28-2017, 12:55 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2012 C63 AMG
But....... it's lunar blue how could you ever sell it??

On a more serious note there's something to be said about this car regarding everything you get for the price it is, and cost to maintain compared to other cars in or above its class. At the moment the only thing that i'd really consider that's in my price range is an older V10 R8 mainly because I've loved that car ever since they released them, and the one time I got to drive one I told myself that i'd own it one day. Yet still nothing beats that feeling when i'm driving and I get that stupid smile of joy on my face, and I simply just don't get that with other super cars I've gotten the chance to drive. For me i'm gonna wait until I can afford both as for now I can't justify letting this car go for everything that it is.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507 sedan
I've often looked at other cars that can replace my C63, but keep coming back to all the traits mentioned. There's not a lot of car in the sub $100k category that has the same sound, personality, and charisma as this car.
I think it's a keeper. Currently, its in the shop getting the 44O cooling package, and rear differential fins, and Coilovers set up. Can't wait to get it out on track!
The following users liked this post:
betrezra (04-29-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
I've had a 911 Turbo before. Loved that car, it was fast, but it wasn't rewarding to drive well. It was almost too easy. And that also takes the fun out of it. Point and stomp the gas and go.
I felt that way about my tuned 335. It did everything really well, but as a result it didnt have that much personality and I just never bonded with it.
After that car I realized I like a few rough edges.
Which is probably why I like the PFL better than the FL actually, and the FL better than the 205. They sanded down all the fun.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:38 PM

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
2020GLC63
totally hear you op and its normal coming from car enthusiastic like us, cars are like women there are a ton of good looking ones out there and we all want to give them a ride

Having owned possibly more cars then most on these forums ranging from Audi Rs4, s4's, S8+ and R8 v10, Porsche Turbo, BMW 1M, M6, many many Mustangs/shelby's/cobra's even a Hellcat also hot rods and tons of trucks you name it been there done that. Seriously I have an car addiction problem, wife stop counting after 100 cars or so years ago. Its hard not to want other things, maybe humanistic too.

Fast forward.. we own an older 2011 c63 amg as of a few weeks ago, wouldn't have even thought of getting one till a friend of mine mentioned them last year so i've been looking. Wanted to be able to say I've at least had one to see what everyone was talking about and you know what, i really enjoy it. Personally I think I'm drawn to smaller cars anyway since they are easier to judge parking and over all feeling of the car around me. The c63 is the kind of car you will always remember once you sell/trade it which is a good thing. Shame the Germans went turbo instead of forced induction roots blower like the American muscle car companies did, we'd have a nice exhaust note then all these turbo motors.

If things are getting boring and you still like it, do some tactful mod to it or projects. Rims and tires alone will change the look and feel enough to keep in still fresh and should keep your interests going. When in doubt just drop a supercharger on her That's what i would like to do some day, or just shoe horn a hellcat motor in there lol.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
A fellow C63 owner and I have been discussing replacements or additions to the stable to the W204 C63 AMG. Every car we have torn apart does not add up to:
1. Cost and ease of Mod-ability
2. HP
3. Torque
4. Craftsmanship-compared to Porsche, Maserati, BMW, Audi....the car is VERY well made. Some of the interior components could be better but overall doors pieces, plastics and clear coats, etc are not falling apart
5. PRICE! This car was purchased new for about $65K!! ALL THIS POWER AND CAR FOR $65K
6. Looks
7. Yearly expense and maintenance
8. Sound
9. Robustness
10. 100% Made in Germany

If you look at some cars, you see doors and interior pieces just coming apart, matte plastics pealing after a couple years, electronic issues, lack of sound, lack of power....

Honestly thus far there has been nothing I have wanted to dish out money for. And if I did, it would have to be $100K and over to get this much car.
After 3 of these and really not a single real problem, I have to say the build quality/reliability factor is really off the charts for a car of this era. I have driven them all hard as AMG should be driven, the majority of my miles have been city driving (and we all know what that does compared to highway), and I have had plenty of track days, and through it all I have been pretty much issue free. Remarkable really.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:30 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2019 GLE 63S AMG, 2009 C63
This is a really an awesome thread that computertom started and has resulted in some excellent responses. There are lots of great cars available these days. How lucky we are to live in this age.
With that said, I have zero buyers remorse when it comes to my C63.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:17 PM

Received 125 Likes on 107 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG 507 Edition
I'm still loving my C63. Was my dream car for a long time.
At the moment, I don't want anything else. I'm having too much fun.
Looking forward, the AMG GT is nice. I've looked at the 205 C63s coupe at my dealer, and I'm still not sold on it. I prefer the look of the 204. I also don't like the iPad looking dashboard thing.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:00 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2011 C63
I was close to getting the new Camaro SS since it shed so many pounds. But as soon as I think about getting rid of my 2011 C63, something inside me says STOP!!!! My C63 is a nicer car, as quick, if not quicker, and is just so darn great as a commuter and cross country car.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:54 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 911, 2012 C63
I felt no love for the SS really, but the ZL1 is just entirely different. And the idea of a six speed is just so enticing...
Old 05-01-2017, 08:01 PM

2020GLC63
Originally Posted by computertom
I felt no love for the SS really, but the ZL1 is just entirely different. And the idea of a six speed is just so enticing...
Actually meet up with a guy in an zl1, pretty sharp looking and clean would rather have one then a mustang Ford dropped the ball the past few years imo. He kept asking to run my hellcat a few weeks ago so we did and I pulled on him surprisingly pretty hard. But we all know it's not fair since zl1 a stick and the HC is auto. Funny it took a 10 speed in the zl1 to match the straight line performance of the HC, damn heavy boats but they are not slow. When is ford going to offer a dct and put a damn super charger back in the mustang. Sorry this thread is surely shifting .. no pun intended
Old 05-02-2017, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by brad65ford
When is ford going to offer a dct and put a damn super charger back in the mustang. Sorry this thread is surely shifting .. no pun intended
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...tch-automatic/
Old 05-02-2017, 01:24 PM

2020GLC63
"we've heard rumors" lol. Ford's really let a lot of blue blooded folks down imo They made the gt which is amazing but far from most all of consumers pockets.

Last edited by brad65ford; 05-02-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by brad65ford
"we've heard rumors" lol. Ford's really let a lot of blue blooded folks down imo They made the gt which is amazing but far from most all of consumers pockets.
Cheaper than a ZL1 though, and comparable to a Hellcat pricewise? Just asking I really dont know. Im in Canada and finding any of those is pretty darn hard, whereas we have almost 50% of the C63s in NA. All 3 of them are about in the same price range here as a new C63S.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:46 PM

2020GLC63
Originally Posted by 604 C63
Cheaper than a ZL1 though, and comparable to a Hellcat pricewise? Just asking I really dont know. Im in Canada and finding any of those is pretty darn hard, whereas we have almost 50% of the C63s in NA. All 3 of them are about in the same price range here as a new C63S.
I've driven a Gt350 and wasn't impressed. Not a fan of making a motor sing up to 7500rpm to make its power, I love torque. A little confused 63s is not NA? Yes we are all talking about 55-65k market cars in the USA.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C63
The C63 is an insanely fun and fast car.

Like Celicasaur, I'd love an E60 M5 with the manual transmission.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 385 Likes on 258 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by 604 C63
I think he means the $300+ grand ford GT super car not the mustang GT

Last edited by deadlyvt; 05-02-2017 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
‘04 996 C4S, ‘18 GLC, ‘19 Alltrack
I've posted on here before that I'm a dyed-in-the-wool 911 (and now Cayman) lover. I had a 996 and loved how it drove.

But, I can't/won't pay to maintain (or worry about what will inevitably break next) one. And, the 991 is getting so far removed from the original...

Even though I have always focused on the Porsches, the C63 was in my peripheral vision--the Germans built a muscle car. There's a reason the first one was called Hammer. It can go from the track to the Country Club and be entirely appropriate in doing so.

The only other car I have eyes for is the E63 Wagon. That's just wrong--but in a good way.

Anyway, I might add a Cayman S or Corvette but the C63 (2013 with 26k mi.) is here to stay.

TC

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just a car guy (person) wondering ...