C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Service Manual?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 05:12 PM

Received 83 Likes on 49 Posts
2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Service Manual?

Searching the past posts, I get the impression that the only C63 service manual access available to owners is to subscribe to one of the online subscription services. I would really prefer to have a physical copy, even though I know it might be costly.

Is there any practical way of getting a hardcopy service manual?

Jim G
Old 05-11-2017, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,574 Likes on 927 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
It's a java based interface that connects to a secure webserver with an encrypted database.

You can find the WIS & EPC on eaby easy enough. Most of them are just a VM snapshot with it all pre-installed so you can just run it in vmware.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:39 PM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
It's a java based interface that connects to a secure webserver with an encrypted database.

You can find the WIS & EPC on eaby easy enough. Most of them are just a VM snapshot so you can just run it in vmware.
I try to avoid software solutions, especially since I run a Mac, not Windows. I try to keep my Mac OS "clean" of any emulators as I have had flaky experiences running emulators and Windows sessions.

But I guess the collection of information necessary for working on a Mercedes might be too large to produce a self-standing searchable pdf product viewable on virtually any computer.

I may be out of luck on this and have to depend on my MB dealership, but I hate doing that for what should be simple replacement repairs, especially at $135 per hour.

I have often just dived in to a vehicle for simple part replacements, but the postings on this forum that I have read for simple things like air filter replacements make me hesitate, as i don't want to break costly OEM parts simply because I don't know where the hidden "tabs" screws, etc are located. And it is sometimes important to know the correct specified torque for a nut or bolt.

Jim G
Old 05-11-2017, 07:16 PM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
2012 C63 P31 sedan
Red face

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
I have often just dived in to a vehicle for simple part replacements, but the postings on this forum that I have read for simple things like air filter replacements make me hesitate, as i don't want to break costly OEM parts simply
Plenty of videos on youtube for doing simple things like air filters, oil, brakes.

for example
Old 05-11-2017, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast

You can find the WIS & EPC on eaby easy enough. Most of them are just a VM snapshot with it all pre-installed so you can just run it in vmware.
On other cars I've worked on, often it's available in print, as in an actual book. I find that much better to work with, as I like to make notes and mark off pages of interest to come back to. Sometimes I like to read my old books before going to bed, with a hot cup of tea. Emulators are too clunky for me to schlep into bed, all of the wires get in the way and the bright light disturbs my REM sleep, should I fall asleep with it on.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
I try to avoid software solutions, especially since I run a Mac, not Windows. I try to keep my Mac OS "clean" of any emulators as I have had flaky experiences running emulators and Windows sessions.

But I guess the collection of information necessary for working on a Mercedes might be too large to produce a self-standing searchable pdf product viewable on virtually any computer.
Unfortunately the official Daimler AG system is sophisticated. There's no "official" PDF version but you may be able to find something after market? Although I'd only trust the real thing for torque specs etc...

VMWare is not "flaky" and it's a simple solution to access the real deal (a VM with a local install of the system. Exactly what you'd access online). I believe the Mac solution is VMWare Fusion.

I run VMWare Player on a linux box and it works flawlessly.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Unfortunately the official Daimler AG system is sophisticated. There's no "official" PDF version but you may be able to find something after market? Although I'd only trust the real thing for torque specs etc...

VMWare is not "flaky" and it's a simple solution to access the real deal (a VM with a local install of the system. Exactly what you'd access online). I believe the Mac solution is VMWare Fusion.

Is there a subscription fee? Any time I have tried if I recall correctly there is a fee for a time limited access.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
Is there a subscription fee? Any time I have tried if I recall correctly there is a fee for a time limited access.
The subscription fee is for the official online access.

The local installer is what a dealership may use. The one I have (which is just a local install packaged up in a VM) has an admin user with an expiry of 2099 or something.

Here's an old install guide if you want to see what's involved. I had a copy from way back that stopped working. I find the VM route is a lot easier. It's already all set up for you. You just launch the VM and away you go.
Attached Files
Old 05-11-2017, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
I like the Fusion better than Parallels. Never tried VirtualBox

http://lifehacker.com/run-windows-on...-vs-1750474360

We have a Windows computer at our office that we have never ditched strictly for stuff like
this and the MyGenius software.

Every. single. time I fire it up it immediately goes wheel of death for a few minutes and I give thinks for Mac. Damn Windows crap
Old 05-11-2017, 11:32 PM

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts
2012 C63, 2014 E550
Originally Posted by 604 C63
I like the Fusion better than Parallels. Never tried VirtualBox

http://lifehacker.com/run-windows-on...-vs-1750474360

We have a Windows computer at our office that we have never ditched strictly for stuff like
this and the MyGenius software.

Every. single. time I fire it up it immediately goes wheel of death for a few minutes and I give thinks for Mac. Damn Windows crap

If you have performance issues with your Pc, especially on startup and logging in, switching your hard drive to an SSD will make it like 500% faster. It's really cheap nowadays too
Old 05-12-2017, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
If he doesn't want to partition off his HD on his Mac he can pick up a used PC laptop for $200 easily and then buy this kind of thing. He can do his taxes without going online to Turbotax's cloud as I do too.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mercedes-WIS-...dVo~Nm&vxp=mtr

There are lots of choices.

The simple stuff is simple if you don't over think it. The biggest challenge is getting the engine cover and air boxes of. Clips can go flying but usually slow and easy and a small light will keep it clean. If the engine cover clips go missing you don't have to pay $15 each for them. GM Garnish Moulding fasteners do the trick and you can get a box of 15 for $15.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by NotABaller
If you have performance issues with your Pc, especially on startup and logging in, switching your hard drive to an SSD will make it like 500% faster. It's really cheap nowadays too
Yeah, Ive done it in a couple older MacBooks we have, but I just dont want to spend any time and money on that thing lol.

I built myself a Hackintosh, which is a desktop that runs Mac on all 'PC parts'.
Really what I should do is just fire another drive in there and make it a dual boot, but my business partner uses the PC for some of his stuff too.
It the only Windows thing that either of us owns. Sits in the corner and gets shunned
Old 05-12-2017, 12:45 AM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by realjones88
Plenty of videos on youtube for doing simple things like air filters, oil, brakes.

for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0aefV_AHAU
I didn't know that. I'll start collecting some! Thanks.

Jim G
Old 05-12-2017, 12:48 AM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
On other cars I've worked on, often it's available in print, as in an actual book. I find that much better to work with, as I like to make notes and mark off pages of interest to come back to. Sometimes I like to read my old books before going to bed, with a hot cup of tea. Emulators are too clunky for me to schlep into bed, all of the wires get in the way and the bright light disturbs my REM sleep, should I fall asleep with it on.
Another advantage of physical books is you get to see an entire page at a time, in a type size that is readable.

As for taking emulators to bed with you, man,that sounds a little kinky.

Jim G
Old 05-12-2017, 12:49 AM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S

I hate to do so, but if I don't find a better solution, I may have to try this.

Jim G
Old 05-12-2017, 12:51 AM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
That is true I believe. It's a way for the provider to get an ongoing income stream versus a one-time book sale.

Jim G
Old 05-12-2017, 12:55 AM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
If he doesn't want to partition off his HD on his Mac he can pick up a used PC laptop for $200 easily and then buy this kind of thing. He can do his taxes without going online to Turbotax's cloud as I do too.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mercedes-WIS-...dVo~Nm&vxp=mtr

There are lots of choices.

The simple stuff is simple if you don't over think it. The biggest challenge is getting the engine cover and air boxes of. Clips can go flying but usually slow and easy and a small light will keep it clean. If the engine cover clips go missing you don't have to pay $15 each for them. GM Garnish Moulding fasteners do the trick and you can get a box of 15 for $15.
Thanks, Alex. I imagine there are other parts too for which there are alternatives to the genuine MB parts with their genuine MB prices. I've been paying attention to the threads on brake pads, brake rotors, etc.

Jim G
Old 05-12-2017, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
5 posts in a row. Impressive.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:05 PM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
5 posts in a row. Impressive.
Just trying to be polite. When someone takes the time to respond to a post I make, trying to answer a question I have asked, or to agree or disagree with a statement I made, I try to at least acknowledge it out of politeness.

Jim G
Old 05-12-2017, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Just trying to be polite. When someone takes the time to respond to a post I make, trying to answer a question I have asked, or to agree or disagree with a statement I made, I try to at least acknowledge it out of politeness.

Jim G
Ill help out then, and make your life easier and the site neater as well. If you look in the bottom of each text box like this one, you will see 4 boxes. These ones.

If you have multiple posts that you want to respond to, go through each one that you are answering and click that button marked "off". They will now say "on". When you get to the last box you want to reply to, hit the quote button.

Now you will get a text box come up that shows each of those quotes. If you type between those quotes you will get a reply that has each comment you are responding to, and then your response. You can edit the original comments so it just has the pertinent info. When in doubt, you can click on the "preview post" button that comes below. You'll see this one, at the very bottom of this picture:

And then when you are done, this is how it would look, and in fact, thats how I made my awesome signature:

I actually took that screenshot from the preview window. Its handy, cos it lets you know that you are formatted ok.
It can be kind of tricky sometimes, especially if there are photos or links involved.
Hints from Heloise. Sometimes, it just happens though, and you reply one at a time.

Im just one man, trying to make a difference in the lives of those fortunate enough to come into contact with me

Last edited by 604 C63; 05-12-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:30 PM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Thanks, 604 C63. I didn't know that, and appreciate the in-depth tutorial.

Jim G
Old 05-12-2017, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Thanks, 604 C63. I didn't know that, and appreciate the in-depth tutorial.

Jim G
Im a big fan of screenshots.

Also, dont forget to go back and turn the 'ON' to 'OFF' if you are replying again to the same thread right away, or you will get the same mess all over again.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:37 PM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Im a big fan of screenshots.

Also, dont forget to go back and turn the 'ON' to 'OFF' if you are replying again to the same thread right away, or you will get the same mess all over again.
I DO see the implications of that statement . . .

Jim G