Sponsored by:

Review: 2nd Cat Delete

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Totally. They sound so damn good, but still.
Try and buy performance exhausts for any Euro car and it's wicked expensive though.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:27 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2013 C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by 604 C63
Try and buy performance exhausts for any Euro car and it's wicked expensive though.
You're right, they really do sound good... I just can't justify $3,000+ for a soundtrack lolol!!

Before this, my wrenching passion came from toying with Hondas and DSMs, from there I moved up to the drifting world (240s, RX7s, etc.)... In both instances, do you know what 3 grand would've got me?! I could've bought a whole new car with that money, essentially!
The following 2 users liked this post by Nando_514:
C63fora2w1 (06-14-2017), kickinrocks (06-14-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 12:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 C63 AMG
*sigh*

I really need to read through old threads again and get a better understanding of what options there are for "after the engine". I know I want LTH, and I'd like hi-flo cats with it. But now I'm wondering about doing a secondary cat delete for now and then doing LTH w/ hi-flo cats later.

Hrrrmmmmm.....
Old 05-23-2017, 01:25 PM

2013 C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by tglems
*sigh*

I really need to read through old threads again and get a better understanding of what options there are for "after the engine". I know I want LTH, and I'd like hi-flo cats with it. But now I'm wondering about doing a secondary cat delete for now and then doing LTH w/ hi-flo cats later.

Hrrrmmmmm.....
Honestly, for less than $100, you can't beat it. You can spend more taking your girl out for dinner and drinks, than it does removing the 2nd cats. I'd say go for it. It also gives you an idea of what you may or MAY NOT want to do with your exhaust next. Personally, I wanted to go the LTH header route. But after removing the 2nd cats, I'm honestly gonna leave it alone. In my eyes, it's EXACTLY what I wanted.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C63
Originally Posted by Nando_514
Let me start by saying, I just got my secondary cats deleted a few hours ago and... WOW! It definitely makes a noticeable difference.

On a whim after work, I decided to head down to a local muffler shop to ask about getting these cats removed and putting straight pipe in their place. We put the car on the lift and took a look... After only 30 seconds, he realized how simple this was going to be. "I'll do it for $80." At only 80 bucks, I couldn't refuse.

30 minutes later, he lowered the car down and I started it... At first, I was very unimpressed. It sounded exactly the same as when I pulled in. Mind you, the engine was obviously still warm, so it was idling normally at 800ish RPMs. So I revved it up...

This things screams above 3500-4000 RPMs! It sounds like a gift from the V8 gods LOLOL. Happy with my investment, I paid the man and drove off. Being from NYC, there was a s*** ton of traffic heading home during rush hour. Driving through the 20 minutes of traffic, you'd be hard-pressed to hear the difference between a stock 63 and one with the 2nd cats removed. It wasn't until I cleared the traffic that I was able to open up this little ****...

I slammed on the gas and banged through 2nd to 4th. Like I mentioned earlier, it isn't until you hit 3500-4000 RPM that you really hear the difference. It's a violent and slightly offensive sound in the higher RPMs. And in no way am I saying, by offensive, that it's bad. It's a throaty tone, just as it was before. But in the higher RPMs, it sounds more mechanical and less restrained. It's as if this is what the car wanted from the beginning!

As for perfomance gains... Sure, you can say you feel a difference, but I wouldn't be too sure that it isn't just the rush of having a new part installed on your car. You're looking for a difference, you'll find it. But so far, my butt-dyno says there's definitely a bit more umpphh when it goes, especially in the lower RPMs.

All in all, just like MANY other threads have said, this is probably one of the best bang-for-buck mods you can do to the car. While driving like a human being, it sounds exactly the same as it did before. In my eyes, this only adds to the value this mod brings. After having gone through the phase of having loud and in-your-face cars, the comfort of having the ability to drive like a regular car is welcomed. At less than $100, the happiness it brings is bar-none. I've driven the car for a total of an hour and half since getting the pipes installed and no CEL. If someone asked if I'd recommend this to another 63 driver, I would in a heartbeat.

I'll try to post a quick video this weekend

Also, I have a before video of the car revving so I'll be able to do a before and after.
Hey Nando, I want to see/hear the before and after video!
Old 06-14-2017, 03:50 PM

2013 C63 Coupe
Oh shoot! I completely forgot about this thread lolol

Ummmmmm I'll try to do it either today or this weekend
Old 06-14-2017, 04:34 PM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by 604 C63

I think you would be much better off taking it to your local muffler shop that works on hot rods and builds custom exhausts. It will not have a fancy name attached to it but it will be made to your exact specifications, out of the material of your choice, with the mufflers of your choice and cost about 1/5 of what you would pay anyone else. When I am out of warranty that is exactly what I intend to do.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:25 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2013 C63 P31, V5 tune
Originally Posted by tglems
*sigh*

Hrrrmmmmm.....
I recommend you or anyone else unsure of what to do with the exhaust check out my recent 'resonate delete vs secondary cat delete' video thread
Old 06-20-2017, 04:17 PM

2014 C63
Originally Posted by Nando_514
Oh shoot! I completely forgot about this thread lolol

Ummmmmm I'll try to do it either today or this weekend

Old 06-20-2017, 04:23 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
n/a
Here is what I found... Mic mounted on the diffuser.

I listen to it alot...

The following users liked this post:
OmarC63 (06-20-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 04:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C63
Originally Posted by CyanideRide
Here is what I found... Mic mounted on the diffuser.

I listen to it alot...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gy5CBDxRfE
I watch this a lot too.... sounds absolutely mental.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:27 PM

2014 C63
It sounds amazing but I was really interested in hearing a before and after of the same car using the same recording equipment, just to get a full understanding of the difference.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MY13 C63 P30, K&N filters, V6 tune, secondary cats deleted.
After doing a lot of reading on this forum about 2nd cat deletions, this post from Nando_514I sealed the deal for me, but I wanted the ability to bolt the cats back in and out rather than the cut and weld option.
After getting a price from Mike for his power pipes (which is a quality product) the Aus$ and freight pushed it up to around $1000 ouch, so I found a local exhaust shop that built a stainless steel with mantel bend bolt in-out pipes for $300, in C mode just putting around you would hardly know the cats were removed but push down the loud pedal this thing comes alive, then in S, S+ of M it's just awsome, this is the best bang for bucks upgrade I have ever done, they should come like this from the factory :-). The best thing about this mod is you can drive under the radar with a beautiful slightly louder note or you can live in the "violent and slightly offensive sound in the higher RPMs" range.
So if anyone out there is sitting on the fence about doing this mod, JUST DO IT, you will not regret it.
The following users liked this post:
C63fora2w1 (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 P30 C63 AMG
Secondary Cat Delete

Recently had a local muffler shop cut my secondaries out and replaced with straight SS pipe. Tame during normal driving, loud when you get on it, and no drone at highway speeds. Overall, very happy with it. Considering how cheap it is to do, it's totally worth it. If I ever get bored with it or want moar loudness, I'll x-pipe the resonator.