Notices
C63 AMG (W204)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review: 2nd Cat Delete

 
Old 05-19-2017, 07:10 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 210
Recieved 19 Likes on 14 Posts
2013 C63 Coupe
Review: 2nd Cat Delete

Let me start by saying, I just got my secondary cats deleted a few hours ago and... WOW! It definitely makes a noticeable difference.

On a whim after work, I decided to head down to a local muffler shop to ask about getting these cats removed and putting straight pipe in their place. We put the car on the lift and took a look... After only 30 seconds, he realized how simple this was going to be. "I'll do it for $80." At only 80 bucks, I couldn't refuse.

30 minutes later, he lowered the car down and I started it... At first, I was very unimpressed. It sounded exactly the same as when I pulled in. Mind you, the engine was obviously still warm, so it was idling normally at 800ish RPMs. So I revved it up...

This things screams above 3500-4000 RPMs! It sounds like a gift from the V8 gods LOLOL. Happy with my investment, I paid the man and drove off. Being from NYC, there was a s*** ton of traffic heading home during rush hour. Driving through the 20 minutes of traffic, you'd be hard-pressed to hear the difference between a stock 63 and one with the 2nd cats removed. It wasn't until I cleared the traffic that I was able to open up this little ****...

I slammed on the gas and banged through 2nd to 4th. Like I mentioned earlier, it isn't until you hit 3500-4000 RPM that you really hear the difference. It's a violent and slightly offensive sound in the higher RPMs. And in no way am I saying, by offensive, that it's bad. It's a throaty tone, just as it was before. But in the higher RPMs, it sounds more mechanical and less restrained. It's as if this is what the car wanted from the beginning!

As for perfomance gains... Sure, you can say you feel a difference, but I wouldn't be too sure that it isn't just the rush of having a new part installed on your car. You're looking for a difference, you'll find it. But so far, my butt-dyno says there's definitely a bit more umpphh when it goes, especially in the lower RPMs.

All in all, just like MANY other threads have said, this is probably one of the best bang-for-buck mods you can do to the car. While driving like a human being, it sounds exactly the same as it did before. In my eyes, this only adds to the value this mod brings. After having gone through the phase of having loud and in-your-face cars, the comfort of having the ability to drive like a regular car is welcomed. At less than $100, the happiness it brings is bar-none. I've driven the car for a total of an hour and half since getting the pipes installed and no CEL. If someone asked if I'd recommend this to another 63 driver, I would in a heartbeat.

I'll try to post a quick video this weekend

Also, I have a before video of the car revving so I'll be able to do a before and after.

Last edited by Nando_514; 05-19-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Nando_514 is offline  
The following 3 users liked this post by Nando_514:
AA717driver (05-22-2017), asaud7 (05-20-2017), CyanideRide (06-20-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 01:28 AM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
604 C63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,738
Recieved 353 Likes on 246 Posts
2012 P31 Sedan w/LSD
I've done the exact same, and I would say its all pretty accurate and well described, except I don't think it makes a performance difference.

Just as mild and civilized when you want it to be, but step on the loud pedal and its angrier than ever, without losing any tone or growl. And zero drone.
604 C63 is offline  
Old 05-20-2017, 01:55 AM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,629
Recieved 318 Likes on 236 Posts
'10 C63
Originally Posted by 604 C63 View Post
I've done the exact same, and I would say its all pretty accurate and well described, except I don't think it makes a performance difference.

Just as mild and civilized when you want it to be, but step on the loud pedal and its angrier than ever, without losing any tone or growl. And zero drone.
Sometimes I wonder if I would have been happy with a secondary cat delete instead of LTHs for these exact reasons.
chrisridebike8 is online now  
Old 05-20-2017, 03:24 AM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
INS1GNIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,218
Recieved 209 Likes on 161 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31 | '98 3000GT
Definitely a sleeper. People can stand right next to the car when you rev and they'll look around all confused lol.
INS1GNIA is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Infiniti (06-21-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 10:07 AM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
roadkillrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,184
Recieved 156 Likes on 133 Posts
2014 C63 507 with LSD Polar White
Agree, absolutely best mod in my book, you will also notice it a bit more on cold start and idling right after a cold start it sounds soooo good, but then eventually settles down after a few minutes and sounds stock again.
roadkillrob is offline  
Old 05-20-2017, 11:14 AM
  #6  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Toronto
Posts: 776
Recieved 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2012 P31 Coupe
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Agree, absolutely best mod in my book, you will also notice it a bit more on cold start and idling right after a cold start it sounds soooo good, but then eventually settles down after a few minutes and sounds stock again.
What combination of secondary cat/resonator can let the c63 keep the beastly sound after cold start and idle? What should I go for if I want it to sound mean and scary all the time? Not just at open throttle
NotABaller is offline  
Old 05-20-2017, 12:31 PM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
roadkillrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,184
Recieved 156 Likes on 133 Posts
2014 C63 507 with LSD Polar White
Originally Posted by NotABaller View Post
What combination of secondary cat/resonator can let the c63 keep the beastly sound after cold start and idle? What should I go for if I want it to sound mean and scary all the time? Not just at open throttle
You can pull the secondary cats and resonator (although removal of the resonator will also change the sound at some frequencies and may add drone on the highway), after that, headers will make it stupid loud!
roadkillrob is offline  
Old 05-20-2017, 12:45 PM
  #8  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,629
Recieved 318 Likes on 236 Posts
'10 C63
Originally Posted by NotABaller View Post
What combination of secondary cat/resonator can let the c63 keep the beastly sound after cold start and idle? What should I go for if I want it to sound mean and scary all the time? Not just at open throttle
IMO, even catless LTHs is kind of tame. It's not like a coyote motor with headers and an exhaust. I feel like unless you are WOT, it's still kind of quiet. People notice downshifts or semi-aggressive acceleration, but normal acceleration, cruising and idling is pretty sleeper.
chrisridebike8 is online now  
Old 05-20-2017, 02:35 PM
  #9  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Toronto
Posts: 776
Recieved 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2012 P31 Coupe
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8 View Post
IMO, even catless LTHs is kind of tame. It's not like a coyote motor with headers and an exhaust. I feel like unless you are WOT, it's still kind of quiet. People notice downshifts or semi-aggressive acceleration, but normal acceleration, cruising and idling is pretty sleeper.
So just install a speaker system to blast engine sounds lol. Lth and full catback not mean enough?
NotABaller is offline  
Old 05-20-2017, 02:56 PM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
604 C63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,738
Recieved 353 Likes on 246 Posts
2012 P31 Sedan w/LSD
Originally Posted by NotABaller View Post
So just install a speaker system to blast engine sounds lol.
NO. Thats BMW.

http://jalopnik.com/5973177/this-is-...-by-a-computer
604 C63 is offline  
Old 05-21-2017, 03:00 PM
  #11  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
SaphGreyC63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,608
Recieved 43 Likes on 38 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Glad to see OP is enjoying this mod. I did mine about 2-3 weeks ago and I don't think my radio has been on since. Perfect mod to get that louder sound when you want it but can be normal and quite all other times.
SaphGreyC63 is offline  
Old 05-21-2017, 03:20 PM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,629
Recieved 318 Likes on 236 Posts
'10 C63
Originally Posted by NotABaller View Post
So just install a speaker system to blast engine sounds lol. Lth and full catback not mean enough?
Fold the seats down today I cruised with the windows down. It is LOUD! I caught myself off guard a couple of times. I love it!
chrisridebike8 is online now  
Old 05-21-2017, 03:32 PM
  #13  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
INS1GNIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,218
Recieved 209 Likes on 161 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31 | '98 3000GT
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8 View Post
Fold the seats down today I cruised with the windows down. It is LOUD! I caught myself off guard a couple of times. I love it!
Hahaha, I know exactly what you mean. Try downshifting when you are next to a large vehicle...the sound will resonate off the vehicle and make you pee a litttle.
INS1GNIA is offline  
Old 05-21-2017, 03:38 PM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
604 C63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,738
Recieved 353 Likes on 246 Posts
2012 P31 Sedan w/LSD
Originally Posted by INS1GNIA View Post
Hahaha, I know exactly what you mean. Try downshifting when you are next to a large vehicle...the sound will resonate off the vehicle and make you pee a litttle.
This is actually better to do (or at least more enjoyable) when beside a new C43, ummm I mean C450. Or is it a C400? D'oh. All da same. Nice to educate all of them.
604 C63 is offline  
Old 05-21-2017, 04:10 PM
  #15  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Toronto
Posts: 776
Recieved 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2012 P31 Coupe
Such a travesty that MB willing to dilute the AMG badge. C43 is ridiculous
NotABaller is offline  
Old 05-21-2017, 05:21 PM
  #16  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
604 C63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,738
Recieved 353 Likes on 246 Posts
2012 P31 Sedan w/LSD
They keep say BMW does it too, but really they sell pieces and call it M Sport. They don't badge the model number With an M, so that's different.

C43 violates the "one man, one motor" credo so right there that's a non starter for me.

Last edited by 604 C63; 05-21-2017 at 05:32 PM.
604 C63 is offline  
Old 05-21-2017, 06:07 PM
  #17  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,629
Recieved 318 Likes on 236 Posts
'10 C63
Originally Posted by 604 C63 View Post
They keep say BMW does it too, but really they sell pieces and call it M Sport. They don't badge the model number With an M, so that's different.

C43 violates the "one man, one motor" credo so right there that's a non starter for me.
Except M235i and M340i I hate both AMG and M for doing that. But for some reason I feel like M does a better job differentiating the flaccid "M" cars.
chrisridebike8 is online now  
Old 05-22-2017, 03:17 PM
  #18  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Mikegpr03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Miami Dade, FL
Posts: 1,719
Likes: 0
Recieved 5 Likes on 5 Posts
OE Tuned C63 @leyvaperformance_engineering
Hey guys I have an extra one in hand in case anyone wants one.
Mikegpr03 is offline  
Old 05-22-2017, 03:50 PM
  #19  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
roadkillrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,184
Recieved 156 Likes on 133 Posts
2014 C63 507 with LSD Polar White
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8 View Post
Fold the seats down today I cruised with the windows down. It is LOUD! I caught myself off guard a couple of times. I love it!
I have noticed sunroof tilted also picks up more noise from the rear, even more than the windows down it seems, so I drive like that a lot!
roadkillrob is offline  
Old 05-22-2017, 05:55 PM
  #20  
Member
 
AA717driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 205
Recieved 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 C63; 2011 328 Wagon 6-spd
Originally Posted by NotABaller View Post
So just install a speaker system to blast engine sounds lol. Lth and full catback not mean enough?
Are you an engineer for BMW?



TC

ETA: Beat like a rented mule...
AA717driver is offline  
Old 05-22-2017, 11:04 PM
  #21  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
I am Jeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: eNyCe
Posts: 2,280
Recieved 56 Likes on 47 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8 View Post
Sometimes I wonder if I would have been happy with a secondary cat delete instead of LTHs for these exact reasons.
That's hogwash, your ARH LT setup sounds stock at idle (albeit with a deeper grumble). I have never regretted going with LT's, I actually wished that it was louder. lol
I am Jeff is offline  
Old 05-22-2017, 11:55 PM
  #22  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,629
Recieved 318 Likes on 236 Posts
'10 C63
Originally Posted by I am Jeff View Post
That's hogwash, your ARH LT setup sounds stock at idle (albeit with a deeper grumble). I have never regretted going with LT's, I actually wished that it was louder. lol
I'm not talking about idle. I cruise at like 90 here in CA and it drones just a tiny bit. And occassionally I think the tone could be a little deeper like the original AMG exhaust note. Don't get me wrong. I love having headers. But sometimes I want to just relax and crush some miles. Ever climb a steep hill at 90 on the freeway? It's hard to have a conversation.

Last edited by chrisridebike8; 05-22-2017 at 11:57 PM.
chrisridebike8 is online now  
Old 05-23-2017, 08:28 AM
  #23  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
I am Jeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: eNyCe
Posts: 2,280
Recieved 56 Likes on 47 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8 View Post
I'm not talking about idle. I cruise at like 90 here in CA and it drones just a tiny bit. And occassionally I think the tone could be a little deeper like the original AMG exhaust note. Don't get me wrong. I love having headers. But sometimes I want to just relax and crush some miles. Ever climb a steep hill at 90 on the freeway? It's hard to have a conversation.
You'll have the same issues with having a conversation driving up a grade with your secondary cat deletes (albeit less of the noise). The xpipe nulifies the drone below 3k rpms, but going up a steep grade while doing 90 will put you above 3k. 2nd cat deletes is such a tease, more noise without the increase in power...

A solution to your problem is just to back off the throttle a tad to 85 mph during steep grades while having a conversation. :-)
I am Jeff is offline  
The following users liked this post:
chrisridebike8 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 11:07 AM
  #24  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,629
Recieved 318 Likes on 236 Posts
'10 C63
Originally Posted by I am Jeff View Post
You'll have the same issues with having a conversation driving up a grade with your secondary cat deletes (albeit less of the noise). The xpipe nulifies the drone below 3k rpms, but going up a steep grade while doing 90 will put you above 3k. 2nd cat deletes is such a tease, more noise without the increase in power...

A solution to your problem is just to back off the throttle a tad to 85 mph during steep grades while having a conversation. :-)
Or maybe take out a home equity loan for an Akrapovic exhaust
chrisridebike8 is online now  
The following users liked this post:
AMG3.2 (06-21-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 11:10 AM
  #25  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 210
Recieved 19 Likes on 14 Posts
2013 C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8 View Post
Or maybe take out a home equity loan for an Akrapovic exhaust
^^^THIS... I still can't fathom how bent pieces of metal tubing equivalate to thousands of dollars. The Mercedes inflation is REAL with exhausts smh
Nando_514 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: