C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

How many miles does the AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed go before rebuild?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 (P31)/2006 CLK350 Coupe
Chill peeps.

Regardless of how easy it is to talk **** about people behind a keyboard, I imagine the op's question isn't completely mentally handicapped.

If the MCT uses a wet clutch pack for starting from a stop, then in theory the startup clutch has a finite service life. Motorcycle clutches need replacement after a certain number of miles even though they are in an oil bath. Obviously lots of clutch up wheelies and stop n go traffic make that sooner than later.

Maybe there isn't a single C63 in the world that has been driven hard enough, long enough for its startup clutch to be used up, but someday it will happen. OP was just curious if anyone had gotten there yet, jeesh... Apparently C63 owners are a bunch of crab apples.

Still, so glad I've finally landed in one!!!
Old 09-26-2017, 12:00 AM

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts
2013 C63 AMG
I'm so happy you bumped this thread from 3 months ago.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
There is not enough info about the MCT. All the information that I can find are reposts of the brief press release.

Where does the liquid that lubricates the ... clutch... clutches...come from? We know its not the transmission fluid, because people changed that fluid and the clutch "oil pan" was not drained. Is there a pump that moves this fluid?

how do you drain it and when changing these clutches, do you change the fluid too?
How many clutches and if there are several, why are several needed if it only operates from a standing start. BTW the press release was not that clear about this.

The press release indicated a higher efficiency, yet the MCT cars dyno less and have worse gas mileage. Maybe these are not adjusted right?

Did you notice how when the gas mileage subject comes up, turns out there are a few MCT cars that have much better gas mileage than everyone else? Maybe those are running right...

And finally I have this question:
One thing I hate about the speedshift auto 7 speed is that even if I put it in sport it will only cruise in 7th at 1500 rpm. When I want to do something, change lanes or whatever, I have to wait for it to shift and it is not sure how decisive I am, so tries to downshift 1 or 2 and to see how I respond, basically we negotiate how much torque I should get and in which gear I should be, and that takes time.

So, is there a way for the MCT to cruise at say 3000 RPM? like a normal stickshift car where this is where you want to cruise and there's enough torque at this engine speed?
Old 09-26-2017, 09:55 AM

Received 83 Likes on 49 Posts
2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by Vladds
There is not enough info about the MCT. All the information that I can find are reposts of the brief press release.

Where does the liquid that lubricates the ... clutch... clutches...come from? We know its not the transmission fluid, because people changed that fluid and the clutch "oil pan" was not drained. Is there a pump that moves this fluid?

how do you drain it and when changing these clutches, do you change the fluid too?
How many clutches and if there are several, why are several needed if it only operates from a standing start. BTW the press release was not that clear about this.

The press release indicated a higher efficiency, yet the MCT cars dyno less and have worse gas mileage. Maybe these are not adjusted right?

Did you notice how when the gas mileage subject comes up, turns out there are a few MCT cars that have much better gas mileage than everyone else? Maybe those are running right...

One thing I hate about the speedshift auto 7 speed is that even if I put it in sport it will only cruise in 7th at 1500 rpm. When I want to do something, change lanes or whatever, I have to wait for it to shift and it is not sure how decisive I am, so tries to downshift 1 or 2 and to see how I respond, basically we negotiate how much torque I should get and in which gear I should be, and that takes time.

So, is there a way for the MCT to cruise at say 3000 RPM? like a normal stickshift car where this is where you want to cruise and there's enough torque at this engine speed?
You can cruise at 3000 rpm if you really want to just by selecting "manual" versus "comfort" or "S" or "S+".

However, that seems unnecessarily high for cruising with a 6.2 liter engine, even if you want lots of throttle response without a downshift.

Also, I suspect you will get notable oil consumption cruising at 3000 rpm.

Jim G
Old 09-26-2017, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
When I want to do something, change lanes or whatever, I have to wait for it to shift and it is not sure how decisive I am, so tries to downshift 1 or 2 and to see how I respond, basically we negotiate how much torque I should get and in which gear I should be, and that takes time.
Use the paddles. Instead of trying to click it multiple times for downshifts, click and hold, and the transmission will drop down to the lowest possible gear available for selection.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:01 PM

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts
2012 C63, 2014 E550
Originally Posted by 604 C63
Use the paddles. Instead of trying to click it multiple times for downshifts, click and hold, and the transmission will drop down to the lowest possible gear available for selection.
Seems like a very excessive way to pass someone on the highway LOL.

Just jab the throttle in S+, it will usually put you at 4-5k.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 2019 GLA45
I have the pfl torque converter based 7 speed.
My curiosity was regarding them MCT, which I never experienced, if it has a mode in which it keeps the RPM moderately high.

But I see already that the MCT also cruises at 1500 rpm.

I am already using the paddles to keep it at 3000 part of the time.
It dawned on me to restrict the number of gears that it can shift up to, by using the shifter and keeping it in C5, but that doesn't seem to work well either, unless I shift into C5 once I start cruising. However, the advantage of doing this is that it can downshift even from there and in S it does it fast.

In the case of my car, there is no additional oil consumption that I have to complain about.
I don't keep it at 3000 for most miles I drive.
Honestly out of concern for the transmission, not the engine.
Also if there WAS a built in mode where it stays at 3000, I would not be worried that I am doing something that will kill it, in say 50,000 miles.

I live in an area with dense commute traffic, a lot of time things happen, there is no time for relaxed 7th speed 1500 rpm cruise.
Now when the traffic is stop and go or rubber necking, I let it do what it wants and be at 1500, but when the traffic is moderate, I have to go.....

The consumption difference for commute is between 12.5 MPG and 12 MPG. I lose .5

Last edited by Vladds; 09-26-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by NotABaller
Seems like a very excessive way to pass someone on the highway LOL.
I'm not scared, and I didn't buy this car for it's moderate sensibilities. He didn't feel like it kicked down enough, that's how to make it kick down more.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 2019 GLA45
So here's another question:
Ok, no torque converter for the MCT.
Then what provides the low RPM torque multiplication that the TC does?
Old 09-26-2017, 01:46 PM

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts
2014 C63 Coupe
What provides it in a manual car?
Old 09-26-2017, 02:07 PM

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts
2012 C63, 2014 E550
Originally Posted by Ludedude
What provides it in a manual car?
my squad pushes my manual cars from behind so I can maximize my clutch life.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:18 PM

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts
2014 C63 Coupe
Old 09-26-2017, 06:31 PM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Where did you find such a girlfriend?

Jim G
Old 09-27-2017, 06:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
c63 amg PP (w204)

Good point about the transmission fluid in the wet clutch on MCT equipped cars. I recently had the transmission fluid replaced in my facelift c63 and there was no drain bolt on the wet clutch. Morover, out of 9 one litre bottles of fluid I bought, only 6 were used! And we drained as much fluid as possible even removing the valve body for cleaning.

The tech who was performing all procedures on my car mentioned that the fluid requirement for the the MCT is several litres less than on prefacelift automatic tranny.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:00 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
n/a
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
I don't understand your comment, Blkrokt. As I pointed out in a post above this one, some of the newer technology trannys fail rather quickly. I just wanted to know what the apaprent track record is on our MCT trannys.

"Do you even think these through before posting?" Yes, I thought it through before posting. Did you think through yours before posting?

"What is the lifespan for ANY transmission before it requires a rebuild?" Depends on the tranny. A 6-speed manual in a Corvette or Camaro, if not abused, lasts a very long time. Whereas when GM installed its automatic in the Chevy SSR with the Corvette LS2 engine, GM had to add code to the ECM that reduced the engine's horsepower in 1st gear because that transmission, installed in the heavy (4850 lb before driver and gas) SSR, could not handle the loading. When I hotrodded the engine in my SSR, I had to buy a built tranny from Phoenix Transmissions, because the stock GM tranny lasted literally only weeks with the higher loading.

"Can't wait until tomorrow's post": I hadn't planned a post for tomorrow, but since you can't wait for one, I may try to oblige. Only because you asked, and I love you so much, Blkrokt.

Jim G
If only we were all as smart, old, rich, and had a seemingly unending amount of free time like Blkrokt
Old 09-27-2017, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Originally Posted by CyanideRide
If only we were all as smart, old, rich, and had a seemingly unending amount of free time like Blkrokt
The following users liked this post:
CyanideRide (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 12:37 PM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
It's good to see that in this unstable world, some things and some people never change!

Jim G
The following users liked this post:
BLKROKT (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 04:23 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
n/a
Originally Posted by BLKROKT

Of course, the question is not what I am asking you to do, it is what she is attempting to wipe with her fingertips