C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

How many miles does the AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed go before rebuild?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 02:21 PM

Received 83 Likes on 49 Posts
2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
How many miles does the AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed go before rebuild?

The AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed, with its combination of wet clutch (versus torque converter) and automated transmission shifting is so different from either a 6-speed manual or conventional automatic, that I just have to ask:

Assuming non-track and non-abusive use, how many miles can it be expected to perform before it needs some form of repair or rebuild? (Beyond the prescribed fluid changes in the maintenance schedule)

Or, do we even know yet?

And, what fails first - the wet clutch pack or?

Jim G
Old 06-07-2017, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,576 Likes on 929 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
287K miles. Maybe 288K miles though depending on where you live.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jasonoff:
BLKROKT (06-07-2017), Ludedude (06-07-2017), sarchib (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 03:10 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2013 C63 Coupe
Damn ya'll can't even let this man breathe!! lolol
Old 06-07-2017, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
We do not know yet.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
287K miles. Maybe 288K miles though depending on where you live.
I've been hearing stories of this failure. 288k miles seems to be the consensus of mass and utterly catastrophic failure.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:18 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2013 C63 Coupe
In all seriousness, I'm not too sure you'll get an answer here... Dual-clutch transmissions are still a relatively new technology. Automakers didn't start mass-producing dual-clutch transmissions until the late-00's to the early-10's. Even to this day, most automakers aren't completely sold on the technology. On top of that, not many cars from that time frame are pushing over 100K miles yet. However, to give you SOME information; What does seem to go bad are the controllers and modules telling the transmission what to do. Other than that, I haven't found much on dual-clutch trannies. Transmissions in general, if driven like a human and maintained properly, tend to VERY reliable and SHOULD theoretically last the lifetime of the car.

Why do you ask though? You having issues?
Old 06-07-2017, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
I'd say 596k. The MCT is at least twice as slow to engage gears compared to other trans..

Seriously, unless you gonna mod your car and drive like a lunatic all the time, the MCT should be rock solid! I hope!
Old 06-07-2017, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
Originally Posted by Nando_514
In all seriousness, I'm not too sure you'll get an answer here... Dual-clutch transmissions are still a relatively new technology. Automakers didn't start mass-producing dual-clutch transmissions until the late-00's to the early-10's. Even to this day, most automakers aren't completely sold on the technology. On top of that, not many cars from that time frame are pushing over 100K miles yet. However, to give you SOME information; What does seem to go bad are the controllers and modules telling the transmission what to do. Other than that, I haven't found much on dual-clutch trannies. Transmissions in general, if driven like a human and maintained properly, tend to VERY reliable and SHOULD theoretically last the lifetime of the car.

Why are we talking about dual clutch transmissions? The w204 AND w205 C63 do not have a dual clutch.
The following 2 users liked this post by chrisridebike8:
604 C63 (06-07-2017), C63fora2w1 (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 04:46 PM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by 604 C63
We do not know yet.
That is encouraging.

Jim G
Old 06-07-2017, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 680 Likes on 465 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
Mine went exactly 45,278 miles.

Tomorrow it will hopefully go a few more!
Old 06-07-2017, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Another day, another retarded question.

Do you even think these through before posting? What is the lifespan for ANY transmission before it requires a rebuild?

Can't wait until tomorrow's post, really, I look forward to these peeks inside the mind of someone who is losing theirs...
The following 2 users liked this post by BLKROKT:
IBowlC63AMG (06-08-2017), sinape62 (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 07:56 PM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by Nando_514
In all seriousness, I'm not too sure you'll get an answer here... Dual-clutch transmissions are still a relatively new technology.

. . .

The MCT is not a dual clutch transmission. There are postings here and on Google that describe it.

No, no issues, just curious if we have any idea yet of its durability.

Reason for asking? Check out the track records for cars like the Aston Martins. Their transmissions fail VERY quickly - it's a known trouble spot. I'm talking less than 20k miles there to failure. Although I thought about a used Aston Martin for a bit, I abandoned the idea completely after reading about the transmission failures which apaprently had no cure - you simply paid for a brand new one and then waited for that one to fail exactly the same way. That made the car very costly to own.

Jim G
Old 06-07-2017, 08:05 PM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by BLKROKT

Do you even think these through before posting? What is the lifespan for ANY transmission before it requires a rebuild?

Can't wait until tomorrow's post, really, I look forward to these peeks inside the mind of someone who is losing theirs...
I don't understand your comment, Blkrokt. As I pointed out in a post above this one, some of the newer technology trannys fail rather quickly. I just wanted to know what the apaprent track record is on our MCT trannys.

"Do you even think these through before posting?" Yes, I thought it through before posting. Did you think through yours before posting?

"What is the lifespan for ANY transmission before it requires a rebuild?" Depends on the tranny. A 6-speed manual in a Corvette or Camaro, if not abused, lasts a very long time. Whereas when GM installed its automatic in the Chevy SSR with the Corvette LS2 engine, GM had to add code to the ECM that reduced the engine's horsepower in 1st gear because that transmission, installed in the heavy (4850 lb before driver and gas) SSR, could not handle the loading. When I hotrodded the engine in my SSR, I had to buy a built tranny from Phoenix Transmissions, because the stock GM tranny lasted literally only weeks with the higher loading.

"Can't wait until tomorrow's post": I hadn't planned a post for tomorrow, but since you can't wait for one, I may try to oblige. Only because you asked, and I love you so much, Blkrokt.

Jim G
Old 06-07-2017, 08:10 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
The MCT is not a dual clutch transmission. There are postings here and on Google that describe it.

No, no issues, just curious if we have any idea yet of its durability.

Reason for asking? Check out the track records for cars like the Aston Martins. Their transmissions fail VERY quickly - it's a known trouble spot. I'm talking less than 20k miles there to failure. Although I thought about a used Aston Martin for a bit, I abandoned the idea completely after reading about the transmission failures which apaprently had no cure - you simply paid for a brand new one and then waited for that one to fail exactly the same way. That made the car very costly to own.

Jim G
Uhh.. Where do you get this stuff? My buddy has owned both a DB9 & DBS and has put many miles on both. Transmissions were perfectly fine.. He is the process of actually purchasing another V12 Vantage S. I'm sure every manufacture has had their fair share of transmission issues, but it is definitely not as a big of an issue as you are making it seem to be.

Also with Aston you can get the vehicle inspected at local dealer and purchase an extended warranty THROUGH Aston even if the factory warranty is expired. Warranty is unlimited miles and is just regulated by amount of years you would like coverage. Never seen any other brand do that yet.

Also, if you don't see anything regarding MCT transmission failures it is probably because there hasn't been many! Just saying.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,576 Likes on 929 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Mocking someone with a mental disability is pretty low...
The following 4 users liked this post by Jasonoff:
604 C63 (06-08-2017), BLKROKT (06-07-2017), IBowlC63AMG (06-08-2017), Xguy (08-29-2020)
Old 06-07-2017, 08:35 PM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by SuckaGDog
Uhh.. Where do you get this stuff? My buddy has owned both a DB9 & DBS and has put many miles on both. Transmissions were perfectly fine.. He is the process of actually purchasing another V12 Vantage S. I'm sure every manufacture has had their fair share of transmission issues, but it is definitely not as a big of an issue as you are making it seem to be.

Also with Aston you can get the vehicle inspected at local dealer and purchase an extended warranty THROUGH Aston even if the factory warranty is expired. Warranty is unlimited miles and is just regulated by amount of years you would like coverage. Never seen any other brand do that yet.

Also, if you don't see anything regarding MCT transmission failures it is probably because there hasn't been many! Just saying.
The 2nd website that comes up when you google "Aston Martin transmission problems" is:

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-m...tage-V8-owners

which was posted April 2016. It says (and this is a quote):

"
The Sportshift transmission is an abomination against humanity. It works, don't get me wrong, but it works horribly. Its low speed behavior, especially around town, is horrendous, and downright dangerous, as it mis-shifts or sometimes doesn't engage at all. Aston Martin tells people they aren't operating it correctly, which is absurd, seeing as its a freakin auto shifter. There's nothing to operate. Cars role backwards down hills (not kidding), and first gear doesn't engage correctly.

The clutch is another abomination. They fail, and its a known weak spot. The sportshift and manual use the same clutch, with different actuating mechanisms. Clutches are know to catastrophically fail and take the flywheel with it. Aston of course claims the dog ate their homework as it concerns the clutch.
"

Then there is this one:

http://www.autoworldnews.com/article...n-problems.htm

which talks about the RECALL Aston Martin did on the 2014 model DB9 and Rapide S:

"
Aston Martin has announced a "precautionary" recall of 440 DB9 and Rapide S vehicles in North America due to potentially faulty transmissions in the 2014 models.

Dealers have been ordered to stop selling the affected DB9 coupes and Rapide S sedans, which were produced from June 2013 to July 2014, until they have been repaired, Edmunds.com reported.

The problematic transmission can shift to neutral without warning.

"Due to a faulty circuit board, the transmissions in the affected vehicles may inadvertently shift to neutral without input from the driver," the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said in a statement quoted by Edmunds. "If the transmission shifts to neutral, the driver will not be able to maintain speed or move the vehicle out of traffic, increasing the risk of a crash."

The recall will involve replacing the faulty circuit boards in the recalled vehicles.

"Aston Martin's commitment to safety and customer satisfaction is paramount, which is why the company is taking this precautionary action," Aston Martin spokesman Matthew Clarke told Edmunds in an email.
"

Just sayin' . . .

Jim G
Old 06-07-2017, 08:48 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 AMG Black Series
The 2nd website that comes up when you google "Aston Martin transmission problems" is:

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-m...tage-V8-owners

which was posted April 2016. It says (and this is a quote):

"
The Sportshift transmission is an abomination against humanity. It works, don't get me wrong, but it works horribly. Its low speed behavior, especially around town, is horrendous, and downright dangerous, as it mis-shifts or sometimes doesn't engage at all. Aston Martin tells people they aren't operating it correctly, which is absurd, seeing as its a freakin auto shifter. There's nothing to operate. Cars role backwards down hills (not kidding), and first gear doesn't engage correctly.

The clutch is another abomination. They fail, and its a known weak spot. The sportshift and manual use the same clutch, with different actuating mechanisms. Clutches are know to catastrophically fail and take the flywheel with it. Aston of course claims the dog ate their homework as it concerns the clutch.
"

Then there is this one:

http://www.autoworldnews.com/article...n-problems.htm

which talks about the RECALL Aston Martin did on the 2014 model DB9 and Rapide S:

"
Aston Martin has announced a "precautionary" recall of 440 DB9 and Rapide S vehicles in North America due to potentially faulty transmissions in the 2014 models.

Dealers have been ordered to stop selling the affected DB9 coupes and Rapide S sedans, which were produced from June 2013 to July 2014, until they have been repaired, Edmunds.com reported.

The problematic transmission can shift to neutral without warning.

"Due to a faulty circuit board, the transmissions in the affected vehicles may inadvertently shift to neutral without input from the driver," the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said in a statement quoted by Edmunds. "If the transmission shifts to neutral, the driver will not be able to maintain speed or move the vehicle out of traffic, increasing the risk of a crash."

The recall will involve replacing the faulty circuit boards in the recalled vehicles.

"Aston Martin's commitment to safety and customer satisfaction is paramount, which is why the company is taking this precautionary action," Aston Martin spokesman Matthew Clarke told Edmunds in an email.
"

Just sayin' . . .

Jim G
You do realize the Sportshift transmission is not a true automatic right? It's a manual transmission with a computer controlled clutch. Look at the F355 and its F1 electrohydralic manual. Ferrari was one of the first to bring it to market and had the same issues.

Nowhere in that nonsense you posted does it say transmissions fail sub 20k miles. Also, that recall is for a circuit board, not transmission failure. Stop clogging the forum with your diarrhea.

Last edited by SuckaGDog; 06-07-2017 at 08:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sinape62 (06-08-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 08:53 PM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by SuckaGDog
You do realize the Sportshift transmission is not a true automatic right? It's a manual transmission with a computer controlled clutch. Look at the F355 and its F1 electrohydralic manual. Ferrari was one of the first to bring it to market and had the same issues.

Nowhere in that nonsense you posted does it say transmissions fail sub 20k miles. Also, that recall is for a circuit board, not transmission failure.
I never said the tranny was an automatic or a manual.

Check on Google for 2007 =2008 timeframe clutch problems where the rivets in the clutch plates were falling out at a few thousand miles. That problem had nothing to do with a circuit board.

The list of AM tranny problems goes on and on if you look at the available data, across many model years.

Jim G
Old 06-07-2017, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by Jan AMG
I'd say 596k. The MCT is at least twice as slow to engage gears compared to other trans..

Seriously, unless you gonna mod your car and drive like a lunatic all the time, the MCT should be rock solid! I hope!

TROLL
Old 06-07-2017, 09:46 PM

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts
2013 C63 AMG
I'm glad I'm learning about how strong the Corvette transmission is, or the allegations against Aston Martin on a c63 forum.

I think Jim should get his own subforum for his musings.
The following users liked this post:
Ludedude (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
I spend way too much time worrying about way too many things but a Mercedes transmission isn't one of them, nor would I waste time worrying about it based on what some guy said on Quora about another manufacturers product.

Theres no threads about issues cos barring the odd freak there are no real issues.

Last edited by 604 C63; 06-08-2017 at 01:50 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:46 PM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by 604 C63

. . .

Theres no threads about issues cos barring the odd freak there are no real issues.
That's great news, and what I was hoping I would hear. I consider my original question answered.

Jim G
Old 06-08-2017, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
That's great news, and what I was hoping I would hear. I consider my original question answered.

Jim G
Whew! What a relief! Now I can sleep knowing you are satisfied!
Old 06-08-2017, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Seems like just yesterday Jim G joined and we were congratulating him on his purchase and for joining the forum....how they grow up so fast...
Old 06-08-2017, 04:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Originally Posted by roadkillrob
Mine went exactly 45,278 miles.

Tomorrow it will hopefully go a few more!
:-)))

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How many miles does the AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed go before rebuild?