NYS DMV vs MB brake pad sensors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
NYS DMV vs MB brake pad sensors

So I'm getting close to 1 year of ownership, time to get the state inspection done soon. I see the pads are thin but get no messages.
SO I'm reading that the warning turns up at 2 millimeters thickness.

Now the NYS DMV states that at inspection, the pads must have 1/3 thickness reserve.

Do you guys think that the original thickness of the pads is 6 millimeters or so?

In reality, I have to do what I need to do, in order to pass, I'm just curios.
Also at 47K miles these could be still the original pads, what do you think?

EDIT:
Do you guys think that I should go for state inspection to a dealer, cause they would know that with no brake pad message on, the pads pass, cause they're over 2 millimeters?

If they last this long and with the nice grip they have for street driving and low dust, I'm thinking to replace them with OEM.

I usually buy EBC redstuff, but I think that they are a lot dustier than these OEM (probably a lot cheaper too though). And again, I don't think the redstuff will last 40K miles.

Last edited by Vladds; 07-04-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chevy Silverado
Most MB original pads are 12mm +\- 1mm in front and 10mm +\- in rear when new.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Vladds

If they last this long and with the nice grip they have for street driving and low dust, I'm thinking to replace them with OEM.

I usually buy EBC redstuff, but I think that they are a lot dustier than these OEM (probably a lot cheaper too though). And again, I don't think the redstuff will last 40K miles.
I use Redstuff. My guess is that I'll see a min of 45k miles before replacement. Thankfully, initial bite is better than I expected and pretty much a tossup with OE. I'd use them again in this application. If you're doing a pad slap they'll probably squeak for a while though, and if the rotors are scored the squeaking will last longer. Dusts less than OE and is of a lighter color (a plus).
Old 07-05-2017, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
I use the redstuff in my Subaru, has Brembo GT at the front and regular Brembo at the back. I have to change the fronts every 2 years, probably 25 K miles, with normal-ish driving, no track work.

What puzzles me is how with the C63, the front pads are as worn as the rears.
This means that the traction and stability constantly pulses the rear brakes, without turning the lamp in the dashboard.
Maybe there is more and somehow this constant rear activity reduces the need for the fronts to actually slow the car down in commute and such, and this is why with this car the fronts last so long.

So maybe 25K miles for redstuff in Subaru = 40K miles in the C63.
I think that the dust is less with the OEM and I literally can wipe it off, with the rims waxed. But if the dust is the only advantage of the OEM's, I need to rpice them against the redstuffs. I will do that, thanks.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
So reading the comments on these pages can someone chip in on this question.
My car is a 2013. Went on the road in March 2013. When I got it it had around 40000km (25000 mi) on the odometer and it had about 50% of the original pads left front and rear. I had them all changed in May because they were squealling badly and I wanted to get fresh pads so I can maintain them by insuring they do not get the hard glaze the originals had accumulated.
My expectations are I should get at least 65000 km out of them based on my driving style if I look after them.
So the question is do the cheaper pads actually save money if they wear out at 25000 miles? Do the redstuff pads function better?
I just looked up my data re front and rear wear. Mine seem to be more or less the same in terms of being even from to rear. Maybe 1 mm more on the front. That would suggest the bias is set to keep stability in hand but maximizing the overall effectiveness of the system.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Originally Posted by Vladds
What puzzles me is how with the C63, the front pads are as worn as the rears.
This means that the traction and stability constantly pulses the rear brakes, without turning the lamp in the dashboard.
Maybe there is more and somehow this constant rear activity reduces the need for the fronts to actually slow the car down in commute and such, and this is why with this car the fronts last so long.

Or maybe the AMG engineers put big pads and rotors on the front and balanced them with smaller pads and rotors on the rear, cleverly sized so that they would both contribute the appropriate stopping power and would also wear at about the same rate.

Nah, that would have been too much work.
The following users liked this post:
BLKROKT (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by zcct04
Or maybe the AMG engineers put big pads and rotors on the front and balanced them with smaller pads and rotors on the rear, cleverly sized so that they would both contribute the appropriate stopping power and would also wear at about the same rate.

Nah, that would have been too much work.
I have to disagree. It is exactly the thing AMG has done for a long time even before MB took them in house. They had to change brakes to match the power increases they achieved with their packages.
I remember The Hammer. It was based on the W124 E platform.
When it first came out Car and Driver found the stock ABS system to be good coming to a stop from 70 kph in 165 ft but observed that AMG was introducing an upgraded package of brakes.
What I find interesting to reflect on is that I had 2 stock w124s one with the inline SOHC 6 and one with the DOHC inline 6 and I loved them. I always lusted after at least getting the Hammer body kit but wife, kids and work kept it at bay.
Now the C63 is about the same size inside and out and has everything I lusted for back in the day and more.
The W124 DOHC at 215 hp was not ever going to out drag a 5L V8 but when it came to handling and power to weight it was far better than the 2 W211s and was pretty sporty for the day. It was competing against the 5 series in Europe so we got the benefits back then.
What was interesting is the W212 wagon handled better than the w211 sedan cars and was closer to the W124 but the W124 in stock form cannot hold a candle to the beast in the garage.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
I think he was being sarcastic Alex...

On track, the front pads wear at about 2x the rate of the rears. Normal driving I've noticed they wear about the same. (I have the RB BBK)
Old 07-05-2017, 03:54 PM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
2012 C63 P31 sedan
If NY inspections are anything like VA or PA inspections, just take the car to a gas station. As long as there are no glaring problems or dashboard lights the car will pass just fine. Far far more likely to get failed at a dealer.