Sponsored by:

Aircon - passenger side warm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG C63 estate (W204)
Aircon - passenger side warm

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the more general section, as I assume the aircon system is the same.

I bought a C63 estate at the weekend (incredibly pleased with it!) but have just realised that the passenger side is not blowing anywhere near as cold as the drivers. I think it's just ambient air on that side, despite being set to the same temperature.

I'd heard a suggestion that it might be low refrigerant (and indeed I'm not 100% sure the drivers is as cool as it should be). I just tried turning off all the drivers side vents though, and passenger side was still warm. I was thinking that might force the cool air through the other vents.

So does it seem likely I have a stuck valve / flap somewhere? Anyone come across this before and have any suggestions? I've done a bit of googling, but not found much for this model.

Any help very gratefully received.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:28 AM

AMG C63 estate (W204)
Oh, I also found some mentions of a reset method for the aircon. But they all referred back to the method being described in full elsewhere, and I have not managed to find the source. Something about holding down the recirc and defrost buttons together?
Old 07-06-2017, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by bazzabear
I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the more general section, as I assume the aircon system is the same.

I bought a C63 estate at the weekend (incredibly pleased with it!) but have just realised that the passenger side is not blowing anywhere near as cold as the drivers. I think it's just ambient air on that side, despite being set to the same temperature.

I'd heard a suggestion that it might be low refrigerant (and indeed I'm not 100% sure the drivers is as cool as it should be). I just tried turning off all the drivers side vents though, and passenger side was still warm. I was thinking that might force the cool air through the other vents.

So does it seem likely I have a stuck valve / flap somewhere? Anyone come across this before and have any suggestions? I've done a bit of googling, but not found much for this model.

Any help very gratefully received.
I suspect it is an air actuator on a flap. The split system is one AC system with the control system deciding what goes where. Have you had it checked for a code?

Last edited by Alex.currie44; 07-06-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:34 AM

AMG C63 estate (W204)
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
I suspect it is an air actuator on a flap. The split system is one AC system with the control system deciding what goes where. Have you had it checked for a code?
Yes, to be honest, I don't think I'm lucky enough that a simple re-gas will sort the problem either. However, it's going in for one today just in case.

If that doesn't do the trick, and if no-one can confirm how to do a manual reset, then I think my next move will have to be to take it to a garage and see if there's a code and if they can find the fault.

Although I have to admit to being a little tempted by one of those carsoft i980's so I can check things myself.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:20 AM

AMG C63 estate (W204)
I'm rather surprised, and extremely pleased, to report back that the aircon recharge has completely fixed the problem.

It's actually surprising it was working at all - it only had 125g in, and it's supposed to have over 600. But it's like a fridge in there now, if you want it to be, so very pleased.

It raises the question of whether there's a leak, but it passed a 30 minutes vacuum check, so theoretically it shouldn't have.
The following users liked this post:
Ludedude (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
I'm rather surprised, and extremely pleased, to report back that the aircon recharge has completely fixed the problem.

It's actually surprising it was working at all - it only had 125g in, and it's supposed to have over 600. But it's like a fridge in there now, if you want it to be, so very pleased.

It raises the question of whether there's a leak, but it passed a 30 minutes vacuum check, so theoretically it shouldn't have.
Call me cynical but you do not get down to 125 g of refrigerant when a typical system would be 2-3 lb (900-1350 g) by consumption in a sealed system.
My car was parked for 8 weeks while I was down south in the spring. The AC was fine when I parked it and not working when I got back.
We found evidence of what was clearly a very tiny and slow leak in the evaporator.
My tech told me he likely would not have detected it in a test because it was so slow.
It is a $2000 fix here in BC.
Get a UV light and some amber UV glasses. The refrigerant will show green - the colour of money - when illuminated with UV.
You can see the evaporator through the lower grill behind the plate. Take a look. You might be surprised.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:26 PM

AMG C63 estate (W204)
640g I believe for this car.

And there's no sign that it's ever been re-gassed before, so that's after 4 years of use.

If it has a leak, it'll become clear soon enough. As you say, they've put the UV dye in it, so we can check then
Old 07-07-2017, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
640g I believe for this car.

And there's no sign that it's ever been re-gassed before, so that's after 4 years of use.

If it has a leak, it'll become clear soon enough. As you say, they've put the UV dye in it, so we can check then
I just grabbed a number from memory but according to Behr it is actually 590 g. That said you still were down to 21% and you do not just lose that because the car is 4 yr old. Some? Yes. 80%? No.
I had a 1993 E320 which I drove to 296000km over 8 yr every day I had it except when on vacation and never lost enough to worry about out of miniscule transient leaks. Keep an eye.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,607 Likes on 945 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
I just recently swapped out my AC pressure sensor.

It took 0.5lb of dye and 2.3lb of refrigerant to re-fill.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
I just recently swapped out my AC pressure sensor.

It took 0.5lb of dye and 2.3lb of refrigerant to re-fill.
Interesting. That is more than double the claimed weight for an empty system. I am going to ask my guys why that is.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
Interesting. That is more than double the claimed weight for an empty system. I am going to ask my guys why that is.
Where is the claimed weight listed? It's not in the owners manual. Maybe I got hosed lol...
Old 07-07-2017, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
Where is the claimed weight listed? It's not in the owners manual. Maybe I got hosed lol...
I got it off of 2 sites one of which is Behr who of course builds their rad, ac and heater cores.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
My old man memory failed me. It was actually 1.3lbs.